All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. shortstaque

Whole 30 for Lent

Hi Azul! In the freezer I've got 4 frittattas portioned for weekday on the go breakfasts, 8 cooked chicken breasts ready for salads for lunch, beef stew and chili prepped to pinch hit for days I don't have time to make dinner. Menu set for the week. Shopping is done. Tomorrow I will prep my "salad bar" in my fridge that makes packing lunches and side salads easier. I have emergency nuts in my planning rooms in all three schools where I teach. As soon as I have my donut for Fat Tuesday tomorrow (a yearly tradition) I think I'm ready to do this thing. This is my first W30, but I think I'm gonna be good. I was GF and macrobiotic for 5 years if I could go without flour and sugar for that long I can manage on W30 for 30 days (I hope!!!) Big difference now is that I have my family to take into consideraton. Luckily I found a coworker who said she is on board. Hoping that doesn't fall through. Good luck with round 3. I'll keep you posted on how things progress. Jen
  3. BabyBear

Amy's Log for 2020

For being Day 0 most of your meals looked pretty good! I hate McDonald’s did that too you, but man talk about eye opening on their ingredient list. I hope you have a great day tomorrow
  4. Today
  5. Eyechip

The Three Weaknesses I Worry About...

Thanks, BabyBear and Sugarcube! About to head to bed and fully survived my first day. Good news is that I didn't burn the building down cooking! The food part was easy and I am not (at this point) missing anything. I do miss my evening martini though. I made it through by reminding myself that to be healthier one must be comfortable missing something. Eventually learning that you really don't miss it at all. Oh, and my lunch was the highlight after my breakfast adventure. I never ate at Chopt before and their Whole30 compliant salad was the bomb. I highly recommend!
  6. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Log for 2020

Day 25/ Reset Day 0 - will restart tomorrow M1: two scrambled eggs and a banana M2: two hard boiled eggs and apple slices at Starbucks and the wellness “comfort” tea M3: Gas station emergency foods- two small packages of mixed nuts (no peanuts), a Naked blueberry drink M4: Spinach salad with cucumbers and avocado ranch dressing Had a job interview today. I left with kind of weird feeling because I don’t know if I should hope I get the job or not. The people seemed very nice but the company is soo different than any where else I’ve worked... there is no way to tell if I’d like it there or not. The weird thing is that my interviewers looked VERY familiar as if I’d met them before. Maybe that is a good sign? I’m going to try to come up with a few more questions for them if they give me an offer. This job interview went much better than my last one. For my last one, my first interview in awhile, I got to the place 5 minutes late and the guy decided I wasn’t a good fit for the job based off of that and literally sent me packing as soon as I got to his office. I’m glad I was late to that particular interview because I would not have gotten along well with that guy, and it taught me to be more careful for future interviews that I care more about. My friend works there and she tried to warn me about him, and her warnings convinced me I probably would not accept the job. At least it worked out for the best. That guy will haunt my nightmares, though.
  7. SchrodingersCat

Changes in Menstrual Cycle

I've had a Mirena for almost 5 years, and never had any periods EXCEPT all 3 Whole30 rounds I did, I had one 2 weeks in.
  8. KK92393

Changes in Menstrual Cycle

I got my period 3 weeks early (been on bc since 2011) and am on week 2 of light period symptoms. I’m going crazy and need to know I’m not alone here!
  9. I am hoping one someone can help with this question. Has anyone else had an increase in blood pressure on this program? My typical blood pressure for most of my adult like is around the 122/78 range. During the second week of the program I had to go to my allergist for fluid in my ears and it was 148/90 Today is day 22 and while at the Dentist they took it and it was 140/90. The only thing I have really changed is following the Whole 30 plan, and have begun doing a more intense HIIT exercise program. I am almost 51, 5’71/2” and weighed 135 before starting the program. My diet prior was oatmeal for breakfast, protein bar, apple for lunch, almonds mid day, dinner varied from a purchased lean cuisine meal, to a tuna sandwich to roasted veggies with protein to pizza and chips. I always smacked a lot after dinner and binged on popcorn and sugary junk like hot tamales, Hershey’s kisses, fruit snacks, cake etc. (the evening issues is why I went on the program) I do feel I am salting food more, but thought I was just used to the sodium levels of processed foods. i am seeing some other benefits, like better deeper more restful sleep and easier to wake up, but still having some headaches, crankiness and fatigue...no tiger blood yet! I just assumed it was taking me longer because of all the processes crap I ate. But the blood pressure is a concern for me. I just had a complete blood panel and physical in December and everything was normal, including my blood pressure. My husband and I have already decided to keep going after the 30 days, but I am a bit discouraged at this point. thanks! Paula Buhrmann
  10. SugarcubeOD

Difficulty preparing Meals

These would be fine if you subbed the non compliant ingredients such as rice with compliant ones such as cauli rice... I havne't looked at the recipes but you'd need to make sure all ingredients were compliant.
  11. Yesterday
  12. Azul Marino

My Lenten Whole30, I'll call it my WholeLent

It's true @BabyBear!!, I know, it will be a present. I'm happy waiting on Wednesday ... and I started last week with a Whole30-ish meals style
  13. BabyBear

Like an Onion

@Brewer5 I think it was great that you were able to sneak away with your husband and spend some time together. It sounds like the short time off plan served you and furthered your journey towards being able to live in a place of food freedom where delicious Whole Foods reign supreme with some tantalizing treats thrown in for pure enjoyment from time to time.
  14. SchrodingersCat

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

Thanks!! OK today I AM back. Last night I compounded the 'ok, back on track tomorrow' with ravioli and garlic bread. And chocolate. Ugh. However, this morning I have resisted a huge and amazing looking breakfast buffet from a seminar, and am back on track. And staying that way! Meal 1: Eggs n kraut Meal 2: Coriander Beef Curry with Cauli rice Meal 3: Fish from the market, grilled with sauteed broccolini, sweet potato wedges.
  15. SchrodingersCat

Like an Onion

Thank you for laying it all out, after a crapalicious Thurs-Sun I was "back on track" yesterday - HA!! All good plans went down the toilet, nothing was compliant. Today needs to be back on plan because I feel awful, but the awful always makes me go "bugger it, I already feel crappy!"
  16. Pawan

Difficulty preparing Meals

I know some quick recipes of rice and veggies, Quick and easy to make: 1. Veg pulao 2. Mushroom fried rice 3. Quinoa upma Being vegetarian I do not suggest meat. But these Indian pulav i find life saver.
  17. Oh that sucks! You definitely have to ask for each thing you eat because some items disallowed on the program are not captured in the allergens. That said, i think you've answered your own question - it sounds like maybe you're having a reaction to legumes with the headache.. and unfortunately our body doesn't know if we accidentally or intentionally ate something that it doesn't like. By the time you get to the end and think about adding that week to make it a full 30 days, you might be okay with that, even tho it's on vacation... some people feel so good that they don't want to jeopardize their good feeling by going off plan on vacation (plus, we really recommend you do the reintros so it sounds like maybe the timing is a bit tight anyway?). That said, if you decide to go off for the vacation, you'll be in a great position after your vacay to come back to the program and start again... who knows, it might be a perfect way to get to feeling great after holiday again and you'll be so good at the meal prep and label reading that doing it a second time after your vacation will be a walk in the park!
  18. BabyBear

Bone broth - do I need a pressure cooker?

@LilliMarlene Call me old fashion, but I actually prefer my bone broth cooked on the stove. @Jihanna I do the same thing when I’m searching for ways to make certain recipes with the tools I actually own. I had to do this for making mayo in my vitamix blender after an epic fail. What would we do without Uncle Google
  19. BabyBear

14 languages! Wow you know your international menus quite well! Just think after you master a few techniques in the kitchen you will be quite the renaissance man. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials! If you are on Instagram check out the whole30recipe account. The two guys they just featured for recipes Abe and Isaac have some fantastic tips for long term or extended traveling. In fact they just packed up their house to travel full time. Best of luck to you on your Whole 30 adventure!
  20. I am traveling for work this week. I did my due diligence and checked every restaurant in town, called some places, etc. There are two really great salad spots by my office and we ordered lunch from one of them. I went and checked the ingredients on the website, although they don't list all the ingredients they do list if there is soy, dairy, gluten, etc. Then I found a forum where someone had emailed the company to ask and the dressing I got was believed to be whoel30 compliant. I'm only on day 7, I've been SO good so far, and I started to get a little bit of a headache this afternoon. Upon some deeper digging, I think the dressing I got might have had a TINY bit of hummus mixed in it. I know even a tiny lick is supposed to start you over, but if this was a tiny portion of my meal, does this negate everything I've done? I can't really start over because if I add a week I'll bump my whole 30 into a vacation. Signed, a sad patron.
  21. LilliMarlene

Bone broth - do I need a pressure cooker?

@Jihanna thanks!
  22. SugarcubeOD

Congratulations! This is huge! Keep up the good work! If you want a super easy way to make veggies, try roasting them... preheat oven to 450F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or waxed paper or tin foil or nothing). Cut your veggies into similar sized pieces (so you don't have some huge thick pieces and some tiny thin pieces) and then toss in some cooking fat (the ghee you got would be great here). Season liberally with salt and pepper and throw those bad boys in the oven... Don't wander off but it takes about 15-20 min depending on the size of your veggies... check them and when they're starting to brown and smell delicious, they're probably done. If you want say... broccoli and potato, you could do those on the same sheet, just cut the potato smaller than the broccoli pieces and keep everything to a single layer on the pan, nicely spread out.
  23. jlammert

Issues on Round Two of Whole30

Thanks, Maria! Yes, I’ve been including fat, protein and veggies at every meal. I’ll go ahead and layout a typical day below. I haven’t been logging food on this journey, but I did the other day just because I was curious if maybe I’m eating too much fat? My fat was at 64%, which seemed really high, but maybe not for this diet? I have been including potatoes and sweet potatoes, but not necessarily everyday. Okay, very typical day: BREAKFAST - Sautéed veggies - often onions, mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper - scrambled with two eggs and topped with 1/2 an avocado. LUNCH - usually a big salad - salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots, canned tuna or grilled chicken breast, olives, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Sometimes 1/2 an avocado, in place of olives and a fruit - clementines or grapes most often. DINNER - grilled or baked meat - my husband hunts so often elk, deer or fish - a green vegetable roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper (this varies - broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, etc.) and usually a starchy vegetable roasted in olive oil (sweet potatoes, white potatoes or butternut squash). I was including nuts in my diet, but I started suspecting them as an issue, so have been off them this past week. No change. Okay, so that’s it! Thanks for your thoughts!
  24. ShannonM816

Whole30 Delivered - Nutrition Info?

You probably need to contact the restaurant for this information, since they're the ones actually choosing ingredients and cooking the food.
  25. Here in Chicago I love the Whole30 Delivered option via GrubHub! However, I can't find any nutritional info??? Am I missing it? Do I have rocks in my head? Or are these recipes documented somewhere else??? https://www.whole30delivered.com/ Thanks for your help, Team! -Lee
  26. SugarcubeOD

Plagiarism

Can you DM me a link to the book so I can send it onward to our Headquarters and have our lawyers look into it?
  27. beachbaby

Start day 2/10. First day on this forum...

I so appreciate the positive feedback & encouragement! Congrats @JCar for making it to day 21! You can pretty much see the finish line from where you are. Today is day 16 for me & I'm still in shock at my "stick-to-itiveness"! This is so out of character for me but I'm realizing that I'm stronger than I thought and that too often I cut myself short. This is a good boost to my self esteem. Anyway, I'm totally comitted to seeing this all the way thru to the end...
  28. Eyechip

Day One! Yesterday I did my Whole Foods shopping and discovered the other parts of the store that do not involve prepared or frozen items. There's a whole different world of items out there! I did not even know what Coconut Aminos were until yesterday, or where to find them, but I did. I never imagined two hours in a grocery store and I must have looked clueless staring up at the shelves of Ghee. And It felt so odd not being in the express lane at checkout. I threw out all wine and liquor in the house last night. Bye Martini for a month! My new martini is La Croix water with lime. I will pour it into a martini glass and pretend. Already planning on a movie tonight to get out of my flat and somewhere that I can distract myself alone. My first NSV was this: I made breakfast! My local Starbucks called to make sure I was ok. Not really, but... I actually made scrambled eggs (yes, I watched tutorials) with avocado and sugar free bacon. It was surprisingly easy. I know, I know, you are thinking, "how can a grown man not know how to scramble eggs?" Well, I have never cooked in my life anything that did not involve a microwave. I am the consummate bachelor who never evolved in that regard. I once even warmed up one of those plastic bear containers of honey in the microwave thinking that you could (bad mistake). I can though navigate any menu in 14 different languages! I also dusted off my never used Keurig and made my own coffee so as to avoid Starbucks Almond Milk with sugar. I figure in the end I saved around $6 off my usual Starbucks spending. Breakfast went really well. I have lunch planned at the new Chopts that opened up nearby. And am going to figure out how to make a steak, veggies, and potato tonight. More tutorials! Next week my real test will happen as I get back in to travel mode. So this week is about learning to function at home as I prepare my strategy for airports and late night landings. My 36 Elements freeze dried dinners arrive today!
  1. Load more activity