All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Day 16! Everything's going well. I woke up easily again this morning. My boyfriend normally sets up the coffee pot to brew and be ready when I wake up in the morning (he sleeps later than me), and he forgot to do it last night. Normally, when this happens, I'm in a terrible mood since I can't have coffee first thing. This morning, I really didn't care at all. I just made the coffee and drank a glass of water while I did my morning routine (reading, journaling, breakfast, etc.) It feels good to have a more consistent good mood, and higher energy. The movie theater we went to last night is a revival house in our neighborhood, attached to a beer store, that has hundreds of varieties of beer available. They have a fairly large non-alcoholic selection, and we looked at the options to see whether there was anything we could treat ourselves to. We found the Lagunitas Hop Refreshers - a non-alcoholic, unsweetened drink made with hops. I checked the ingredients and did some googling to make sure it would be compliant (hops are considered a flower, not a grain, and brewer's yeast is okay because we can have nutritional yeast). We really liked it - it's almost like an IPA flavored seltzer. If you like beer, I would recommend it. I'm planning to get it after our Whole30 to have in situations where I don't really feel like drinking, but want something more special than water. For me, it feels a bit too much like a beer substitute to have regularly during Whole30, but it was a nice treat for the movie. Also, in the movie, I ate some of the snacks I brought - a Chicken/Sriracha Epic bar and a single serve pack of olives. I didn't end up getting around to marinating the chicken wings for dinner, so we decided to go to dinner after the movie, at a local BBQ restaurant, Smoke. We got pulled pork and brisket, with potato salad and a mixed greens salad to share. It was really good. Again, it was easy for me to stop eating when I was full, even though everything was really good. They have the best queso at this restaurant, so it was a little sad to see it going out to other tables, knowing we couldn't have it. But it was a good thought experiment - how would I handle this in my food freedom? I love the notion of deciding moment-to-moment, from Food Freedom Forever, like I'm not going to plan to go off the rails, but if I'm in a situation and decide in the moment that something is worth it, I'll savor it and move on without guilt. Now I just have to get myself to practice it - definitely easier said than done. Today's meal plan: M1: Breakfast Burrito Casserole with Mexican slaw M2: 6 meatballs with dijon sauce & avocado salad M3: Chili Lime Wings with potato wedges and slaw We might go to a Mac Miller listening party this weekend - either tonight or tomorrow. He just released a posthumous album, and they're hosting big listening parties for it in LA, New York, and Pittsburgh. I think it'll be fun, but packed, and I'm sure we'll have to wait awhile, so we just have to decide if it's worth it, especially because it's pretty cold in Pittsburgh right now. We also planned to have one of my friends over for dinner at some point this weekend. Last year, when I was doing Whole30, I had her over for dinner and made Stuffed Baked Potatoes from No Crumbs Left (https://nocrumbsleft.net/2019/01/28/whole30-stuffed-baked-potatoes/). She requested I make it again, so that's what we're doing. We haven't decided which day yet - Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. So one of those days I'll be making that. Then Dave's college roommate will be in town, so I'm not sure what exactly we'll do with him. I thought this weekend would be relaxing, with lots of downtime, but it's looking like it will actually be pretty busy! I'm going to get my veggie and meal prep planned for next week, and post it on here a little later.
  3. Christi622

Started 1st Whole30 this morning

Thanks!
  4. Well, another day of KATT so I decided it was better to not say anything until I could say something nice and keep reminding myself that, this too, shall pass! I showed up for myself yesterday in spite of interruptions and managed 30 minutes of glorious peace and quiet this morning. I have had this discussion with my husband before and we were watching something one night (I can't for the life of me remember what!) that mentioned how meditative a movement practice can be and he asked me if I did that. I told him I did and that was why it was important to me not to be interrupted and to have quiet and solitude. He acknowledged it but apparently that has worn off so I need to have that conversation with him again but I needed to wait until I wasn't annoyed. Like Melissa's advice about not having conversations about food at the table over food, I want to wait until we are not in the process of getting out of the house/getting to work or otherwise distracted so I'm hoping maybe tonight or tomorrow. I think my best strategy is to ask him for a solution to the problem of him interrupting me. I don't want to bar him from certain locations in the house at certain times so it has to be voluntary on his part which means he needs to be mindful of what I'm doing and that's a tall order. I tried looking up The Wholistic Psychologist on IG but it came up with a giant list of results so I wasn't sure which one was the correct one. Yesterday I looked at Nedra Tawwab's IG and also Lisa Bilyeu's that did that interview with MU and that helped me get into a better frame of mind but it was a real slog. I feel much better today and am looking forward to having friends over on Sunday for more football. The Titans are the early game so we're going to grill some burgers (in almost freezing temps!!) around 5 after the game. My plan is to have lots of different toppings for the burgers so everybody can customize and other people are bringing snacks and sides. That means that I'll need to hustle tomorrow to get everything done for the game as well as for the week ahead! And it's Saturday so that means it has to rain! We've been leaning pretty heavily on boneless, skinless chicken breasts lately and I managed to put together a pretty tasty saute night before last. We cut the chicken into chunks and pan fried it and in a separate skillet sauteed onion slices, green beans and cherry tomatoes then we put it all together with some capers and a bunch of lemon juice. It was really, really good. We ate almost all of the vegetables so last night we just did another batch of onions, green beans and cherry tomatoes and added that to the leftover chicken and really enjoyed it again. Now I just have to remember it so I can replicate it. The stuffed collard leaves came out really good too and I have enough to freeze for one more meal. I've done it with Swiss chard before and that was good, too. I just make a meatball-type mixture and roll it up in the blanched leaves then dump marinara sauce on it and bake. Now I'd like to think of something to batch-cook for next week but I'm drawing a blank. Something will come to me, hopefully. What's on your menu this week? Good for you for showing up with some self love of your own! I think it's a pretty big NSV that we can slip back into these practices after pausing. I'd like to NOT pause: I am the person that shows up every morning for herself! XO
  5. Jihanna

Struggling

Eat more, obviously, would be my first advice. You know that much already. Take a look at your meal make-up. Are you following the meal template for most/all meals but in smaller amounts than you think you might need? or are you eating too little and not getting a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat as well? I found that I have to be wary of certain foods (like potatoes) at certain times of day (for potatoes, that would be 11a to 3p or so) because of the effects that come... with potatoes, if I eat them during those times, I crash hard (like 3 hour nap and miss cooking dinner, hard). It could be that you need to tweak when and how much you eat of things to get your body's best benefit. Also, where you are in your cycle makes a difference. At the very start of my cycle (the week after my flow), I tend to be less hungry in an overall sense and I get sleepy more easily if I eat starchy carbs. The week before my flow, I start feeling sluggish and take that as a sign that I should start upping my iron (mine is typically low-ish) and slowly increasing my intake. The week of my flow, I double up on protein and starchy carbs, because not doing that would have me flat on my face. That specific set-up might not be what works best for your body, but it gives an idea of how hormones really do affect us... looking back, I've realized that I was doing this type of thing already, pre-Whole30, without realizing that's what it was and with much worse-for-me foods. In terms of prepping and cooking, minimize what effort you have to make as much as possible, if it's that effort that's causing you so much distress that you feel like you want to stop Some ideas would be... Use pre-chopped veggies when recipes call for them. Frozen ones tend to be cheaper, especially if it's a common thing like chopped onions, bell peppers, or a mirepoix blend (celery, onion, carrot or the Cajun version of celery, onion, bell pepper). Sometimes using a pre-chopped version means your dishes turn out a little differently (because the pieces are often smaller), but that's not always bad! I'll often get baby carrots on a good sale, then either use them whole or just chop them in half to have big chunks, so that's another option that does allow for larger pieces (for potatoes I do this when I can get the baby ones on sale). Make 2 of what you're eating. If you're already going to be prepping chicken breasts with herbs and spices, go ahead and double it, making twice what you need for one meal (remember to consider a leftovers portion if you need that). Cook one and put the other into the freezer to cook another time. There are a TON of "freezer meals" recipes online that don't require any pre-cooking! Cook often using a crock, electric pressure cooker, or casserole dish in the oven. These are things where you can typically walk away and let the appliance do its work, unlike when you're having to babysit a pot/pan on the stove. Salad. Let me say it again - salad. Nope, not good enough - SALAD! Ahem, sorry. Can you tell I love salad? There are so many different ways you can do it, eating something a little different every day, and so many things you can do to it to keep it fun and tasty while still being compliant. It doesn't always even have to look like just some greens on a plate with junk on top... this gado gado recipe is probably my favorite way to shake up my salads. Here, too, I'm usually making several portions beyond what I actually need for my chicken and eggs for one meal because it's easy and saves me some trouble later. Prep in advance. Referring back to the freezer meal idea, set yourself a day to do the majority of your meal prep and knock it out. Freeze what you can, and you're good to go. Even going into Whole30 as a meal planner, I had NO IDEA that I was going to spend around 2 hours in the kitchen prepping every day... and probably the only reason I'm considering another round now that I work nearly full time is that I've learned to do freezer meal prep. I plan our meals around what's on sale, whip through the store with a list of what I need (and avoid buying anything not on the list), and then come home to either prep that day or the next (or I might spread it out over two days, so like the meat's prepped one day and the veggies the next, but it all gets done and frozen quickly). Take a breath and give yourself some grace. It's awesome that you've made it this far, and it's amazing that you want to keep on. You're in it for your long-term health. If some days you manage compliant and satisfied but not template-perfect, then okay... it's done, move on. Taking the time to set yourself up for success is a game-changer, though, and helps make sure you have plenty to keep you fed and chugging along Lastly, if you want feedback about what you're eating, go ahead and post 2-3 days of what you've been eating and (if you can) about how much. It doesn't have to be specific, just enough to give an idea of what's going in so others can see if anything stands out as a glaring reason why you might be feeling like you are. If you don't already know what you've eaten, keeping a food diary is good for during Whole30 (and after, really) and can help with that.
  6. Carole_Ella

Mixed Nuts with Peanuts

I know I can't have peanuts, but I was at an event that had mixed nuts. Can I eat mixed nuts and just give the peanuts to my hubby or is that too much cross contamination? I also have some cans of mixed nuts at home and am wondering if I can do the same, pick out the peanuts and put them in a jar for hubby and eat the complaint nuts.
  7. Today
  8. Runningmom

Meal plan today day 5

I’m on day 5. Kale salad with fruit, hard boiled eggs, coffee,nut pods for meal 1. For lunch, I plan to finish the leftover red peppers and steak. Dinner is from the new whole 30 cookbook. Or salad and turkey. Maybe some nomnom paleo trail mix as well.
  9. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Day 6 done yesterday, and no giant news to report. Actually ~ I do think of several things I could share here, throughout my day ... but I've got so many other things going on, I don't take the time to sit down and write it out. Even now, at 7:30 am ... I have a 13-year-old boy sitting here, asking me if I am working from home right now, or what am I doing? Apparently he needs to talk to me. Everyone have a great day!
  10. lnp

Vegetable glycerin

Thanks for your reply Shani, I’ll give that tea a try!
  11. Aelfric

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

@BabyBear: Glad you found the idea useful. The idea was inspired many years ago when watching my ex struggle to extract the solids from the stock pot. She was using a slotted spoon or some such to lift the solids into a colander suspended over a bowl. It dawned on me that the pasta pot was essentially a colander, and was made to fit the stock pot. The process is the same as cooking pasta except with the stock you keep the liquid and discard the solids. Friday 17/1/20 (Day 3). M1: Vegetable frittata-ish thing. M2: Chicken broth. Came our of the fridge as a jelly-like gloop (which is how it's supposed to be). Just warmed it enough to make it liquid again. M3: Banana smoothie. Got bad from my ride, and couldn't face the concept of solid food. M4: Salmon and coconut soup. Flavoured with basic curry spices and lemon zest, and with added coconut flakes (and no sugar!). Drinks: Lemon water; rooibos; tea; herbal tea. Exercise: Cycled to Nudgee Beach and back after work. 23.6 km (14⅔ miles) in 60¾ minutes, so a little faster. There were some storms coming down from the north, so I wasn't sure how long I'd have, but they're only now (after 9 pm) reaching Brisbane. But it was a slog into the wind on the way out, and a fast ride home. The splits were about 33 minutes out and 27¾ minutes coming home. On a windless day, that split should be about 29 and 31 (due to the one hill), so the wind was a big influence today.
  12. btvs1981

BTVS Whole 30 log

Day 16 (I keep getting them out of whack on here but I started 2 Jan so this must be 16!) My hunger is very happy on the 2 meals and a cup of coffee with coconut milk in between. I don't feel the need for anything else but I'm aware that this can't go on forever as I might end up missing out nutritionally. I'll keep tracking for another few days in hopes hunger comes back. I'm also going to up the exercise now that I'm feeling better and see if that makes a difference. Leftover tuscan chicken skillet on zucchini noodles with cauli and broccoli Coffee with a couple of spoons of coconut milk Seared salmon with tumeric sweetpotato, spinach, onion and coconut flakes
  13. BabyBear

Briannas Log!

Although 12 days seem an eternity right now, they really are not especially considering the 18 days you already have behind you. Dig deep! You can do this! Think about the demands you currently have on you, and you have been able to function through them and still take care of you! That is Tiger blood. You may not have spare energy but it’s because you are using it to the max to eat well in the midst of a lot of physical demands. How would your coping abilities be if you were not doing a whole 30 currently? I have found amazing food inspiration from the whole30recipe Instagram page. I have also started following several of the weekly highlighted accounts. I am amazed at how many Instagram bloggers there are now with fantastic recipes. I also snoop through the food logs here on the forum and anything that sounds good I follow the link and save to Pinterest for later reference. Pinterest is also another great place to find inspiring recipes. get rid of the cake.. nothing is free, it will cost you 18 days of blood sweat and tears.
  14. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 16 cont My brother is an amazing person, I’m the oldest but only by 21 months. We think a lot alike and we both have a pretty warped sense of humor. We get each other in ways no one else could. His wife is amazing and practically perfect in every way! She is quite literally the most beautiful person inside and out that you will ever meet. And she has the beauty queen crowns to prove it. They are watching our dog while we are out of town this weekend so I had to drive out to their little cabin in the woods. I needed the break and enjoyed the drive. My sister in love greeted me with a hug and started in without taking a breath in her sweet southern girl way with “oh my gosh I saw your doing a whole 30? How’s that going? You look fabulous? Do you need food it’s dinner time I can fix you food! Did you start January 1st, oh my gosh you are like half way there! Has it been hard you seem like you’ve been okay and even enjoying it…”. When she finally stopped to catch her breath I laughed and caught her up on the past 16 days. Mean while my brother stands off in the background slowly whittling away at a piece of pound cake that clearly wasn’t meant for him. He was making super thin slices so as to not make the amount missing noticeable. So I gave him a hard time about it at which that point he tried to give me some in his weird quirky way demanding I try it or his wife’s feelings would be forever hurt. She was ready to knock him upside the head with a frying pan while trying to defend me and my whole 30. I’m laughing so hard st the two of them, I finally had to tell my SIL not to kill him he was just making me stronger by testing my resolve and I knew had I reached for the slice he would have quickly popped it in his mouth and said to me around the crumbs “you can’t have any you are on a whole 30”. So it was funny, but you know what I didn’t even desire to try it, not in that moment because my goals mean so much more than that piece of cake. 3:00am we are finally heading out! Oh good ness who knew packing up food for 3-4 days would be so mentally challenging. I have the mini quiche, sautéed cabbage with bacon. Fixings for turkey blt wraps, salad greens, ranch chicken salad, sweet and sour chicken with cauliflower, ranch, raspberry lemon vinaigrette, mayo and mustard, fresh veggies carrots broccoli cauliflower and red bell peppers, grapes, apples, clementines, pistachios, Rx bars, and beef sticks. I’m going to totally rock this weekend.
  15. Stephanie Sprowl

Struggling

Day 16 Im always hungry and sleep too much. I know I’m not eating enough. I just don’t have the energy to meal prep and cook like I should. Last time I tried Whole 30 I gave up on day 14. I’m happy I made it past that mark, but I’ve had some tough days at work and always being hungry is really wearing me down. I want to keep going to see if I lose weight, stop making poor food choices for convenience, and find out if my body doesn’t like gluten (I have hashimoto’s). When I think about quitting I try to think of this. It’s difficult though. Any advice?
  16. AlyssaYarbs

What would you eat

Hello Whole30 community! If you were presented with the menu, what would you order?
  17. Sarasaurus

Sara's Whole30

Day 5 Meal 1: roasted chicken, butternut squash soup w/ extra coconut milk Meal 2: 2 Applegate hot dogs w/ mustard mayo, green beans w/ ghee Snack: hb egg w/ mustard mayo, macadamias Meal 3: salmon cake w/ caper-dill mayo, small portion green beans w/ ghee, apple w/ almond butter Workout: none
  18. Jihanna

How to make crispy chicken strips?

@Shani_SWP I actually was going to suggest cassava, since it's the flour that seems to mimic wheat flour most effectively in most of the ways I've ever tried it... but I haven't ever tried the frying, so wasn't positive about suggesting it! So I'll second Shani's suggestion above, but rather than finishing it in almond flour, I'd personally opt for coconut flour (because I'm one of those people who tends to get whacked about by nuts, even just almond flour). Good luck with the frying, @Bueller
  19. Jihanna

3 post first day meal planning questions

Plate sizes may vary... The ones I primarily use (except for salads) are a little bigger around than my spread-out hand and they have up-swept sides that make me refer to them as "bowl-plates", whereas the typical "dinner plate" we have in our house has another 1 to 1.5 inches diameter and flat edges all around (which allows too many things to fall off the plate too easily, haha). My mom tends to use oval plates, and my daughter uses several tiny plates with one type of food on each. The key point here, however, is that plate sizes may vary. The idea is that whatever plate size you choose, whatever size works best for your hunger level, you're getting a balanced intake by starting with the suggested template as a way of learning how to judge portions and suggested restrictions for certain foods (like fruit or nuts).
  20. Brezymurph

Starting Round 2 on Jan. 1st!

Hey ! I am feeling very similar to you. I am currently on day 18 as well. I was really banking on that tiger blood feeling. I almost gave up today too. Thank you for reminding me that I would have likely felt guilty. my thought now is they say it takes 21 days to make something a habit. I’m trying to convince myself once I get to day 21 this way of living will be a habit. Lol.
  21. Brezymurph

Briannas Log!

Day 18. I am disliking the whole30 stages because I was expecting tiger blood from day 16 forward and that wasn’t the case today. Last night I got home later because my internship. I decided to make breakfast for dinner so I could also have it for breakfast in the morning. My husband decided to work a double at work (he’s a firefighter so works 24 hour shifts). I am tired and did not want to make anything. I think having leftovers two days in a row was a bad idea then my husband at work 2 days unable to help. I think that’s my fault but going back to work was harder than I thought. I don’t have as much time to cook I like to eat food that is freshly cooked. I started this week on such a high because I had all the amazing leftovers. I am glad tomorrow is Friday. I can maybe go to Trader Joe’s and get a few things to give me some excitement. oh and I did a oops and looked at the scale. Which also added to my spiral because I was one pound heavier than when I started.... m1 cold hash browns, eggs and sausages. m2 burger patty with side mixed greens(honestly didn’t eat many of the greens. I’m sort of over it) m3 I got complaint meal from Zoës kitchen. The lady at the counter gave me a free CHOCOLate CAke for FREEE. She was being nice. I didn’t know what to do. Now I have this cake on my counter. I wanted to just DIG in to it on my drive home. I know I should freeze it or something. It’s so tempting. I was going to post my picture of it with a little demon sticker on it but I won’t do that to y’all. I think I need to be inspired again. Can anyone help with delicious tasting and easy recipes??? Please get me out of this bored slump I am in! it’s horrible. save meee -Brianna
  22. CCfromVB

How do you do it all?

Thank you Shani and Emily for the tips. Yes, I didn't realize it was a faux pas to weigh yourself. (I've done it most days in my life to keep myself in line). Like I said, I am doing this program because my husband has to lose 30# for a lung transplant. I was looking at it for the decrease in inflammation for myself. I have skipped dinners for a long time, so in order to help my husband, I had to find a good program that was doable for life, (not just for awhile), and needed to include 3 meals for him. I just didn't want to end up gaining weight. Thanks for the ideas. I will try some of the short cuts. I have been making the Real Plans for whole 30 meals, and they are very time consuming. I have made 6 days of meals to leave with my husband because I am leaving to see my son and grandchildren, in NY. For myself, I am taking apples, almond butter, hard boiled eggs and will buy salads. It tends to be coffee and bagels in NY, which I won't be able to do. The biggest difficulty for me with the change in diet is that I don't usually eat dinner because I just lost interest in food after my mom and brothers passed away, and my husband isn't any help with meals. That's how I got addicted to starbucks cold brews. They're easy and satisfying and a treat. Dairy is definitely inflammatory for me, so to try a dairy replacement will be great. Actually, the sluggishness was finally better yesterday and today. PS I have tried the pre made meals but my husband won't eat them. That's why I ended up making the decision to do this plan and have gotten into making so many time consuming meals. Thanks again, Carolyn
  23. cegrimes17

3 post first day meal planning questions

@ShannonM816 Thanks for the fast response!! Some follow up... 1) I've been using the template, I guess my question had me wondering why a male and a female would both fill their entire plate. I know a males palm will be bigger than mine but then the veggies fill the entire plate and so on.... do you know what I mean? But I will keep following what you're saying! 2 & 3) Great, thank you! I know I overthink a lot of things. I just am finding sooo many good recipes online and want to mix and match meals. Like I said, I used to weigh and track macros, so in that life, my breakfast vs. lunch vs. dinner definitely affected each other to keep the macros perfectly in line. Sounds like I can pick any whole30 meal throughout the day as long as I'm staying compliant with the meal template. Also keeping in mind if I have a fatty lunch then to go easy on the fats at dinner, etc. Thanks again!
  24. Yesterday
  25. BabyBear

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

That is brilliant! I learn something new everyday.
  26. SugarcubeOD

Dealing with loss during whole30

Aw, Im so sorry for your loss! Those things are always tough! I don't think any of your thoughts around this are selfish or insensitive. Going through a difficult time doesn't mean that you have to stop caring for yourself. In this instance, I would say that perhaps you keep going with the program 'as best you can' and then start again when you're feeling better. That means that at the wake, if there are veggies and maybe some protein that you could eat, choose that instead of the cake/pie/pasta, but give yourself the room to just do the best you can. It's not unusual in grief to not have an appetite so it might just be that you can manage with some purse snacks and depending on where you're staying, a hardboiled egg or two... I think that just making good educated decisions in the SPIRIT of Whole30 without beating yourself up about the rules is probably going to serve you better at this time... and we're always here for you when you're ready to come back and to cheer you through this tough time too!
  27. Shani_SWP

Dealing with loss during whole30

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the routine of Whole30 helps eliminate the guilt of binge/comfort eating because you know you are fueling yourself in a healthy manner, and gives us something to focus on while we're grieving. Can you eat before the wake or bring your own dish to eat? Maybe offer to help her with the food so you can get some Whole30 meals in there?
  28. SugarcubeOD

Wondering about compliance of a few items...

Cacao nibs - okay if used in something savory... not okay for a chocolate replacement in a trail mix or similar. Freeze dried green beans - I'd call these chips... I think they're probably a grey area but having said that, there is so much food and choices that are firmly NOT in a grey area that it seems that these would be fine if left out for 30 days Banana chips - if you make them at home then sure but they're going to be a really high in sugar 'snack' that probably won't serve you well Coconut Yogurt - yes, if you make it yourself and then ideally use it for something like a baked potato topping or in a curry. Eating in in replacement of dairy yogurt to replace a breakfast food item would be against our recommendations and really towing the line on SWYPO. Cashew Cheese - Yes, but we really recommend people keep a handle on how much nuts and nut products they're eating because they can be really hard on the stomach and keep the sugar dragon alive so I guess I'd ask myself what I was using this 'cheese' for and if it was serving me in the long run.
  1. Load more activity