All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. JenX

Headaches

Iodized salt is certainly an easy source, but you can get plenty of iodine in your food. Tuna, shrimp, shellfish, salt-water fishes (cod, salmon, swordfish, sardines, etc.), & eggs have it, as does seaweed. And they don't have sugar which many brands of iodized salt do contain. My $0.02, your headache went away because of the potatoes more than the iodine. Waking up with a headache points to dehydration in some form. Carbs help you retain water. I'd personally make sure to get one serving of carb-y veggies in with dinner each night and see if that doesn't cure your morning headaches.
  3. JenX

JenX- Round 3.5 June 2019

Oh! forgot today. June 17 - day 17 M1: BF salad, 2 strips, 2 eggs, bacon fat, 1/2 avo, 1/2 tom, sherry vinegar on arugula M2: cabbage roll soup. No added fat - this soup was made with my own fatty bone broth, and 80/20 ground beef. If it doesn't keep me full, i'll add fat tomorrow, but i'm pretty sure it will. M3: steak, zucchini/mushroom/onion, chimichurri. coconut milk decaf coffee [planned]
  4. JenX

JenX- Round 3.5 June 2019

Catch up from this weekend June 14 M3: chicken breast, yam, broccoli. coconut milk in coffee after dinner for fat. handful of raw pumpkin seeds. June 15 m1: breakfast salad (2 strips s.f. bacon, 2 eggs on arugula 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a tomato) m2: last of the Tom Kha, fried cauliflower rice, chicken., pumpkin seeds m3: 2 mojo marinaded chicken wings, some Tikka Masala chicken breast. Leftover salad w/vinaigrette , yam June 16 M1: leftover hash w 1 egg. coconut milk in coffee M2: chili w/ 1 whole avocado, 1/2 a mango in chili powder and lime juice, pumpkin seeds. M3: compliant chicken Italian sausage pasta sauce on spaghetti squash. Olives in sauce + EVOO on top. snack: 1/2 a palm of chicken breast with mayo and mustard, pumpkin seeds. Need to cut the seeds out.... they're becoming a crutch b/c I'm out of my favorite, almonds. I'm out of those on purpose, so shouldn't be trying to replace them. I was super lazy all weekend. All I got done was laundry, cooking, and washing the car. I think I needed some down-time though. I'd taken Friday afternoon off so I was able to get all the shopping done - it was glorious to wake up Saturday without that chore hanging over my head. I do think i'm suffering from a bit of food boredom. I keep trying to switch things up, but its more the planning, shopping, cooking aspect i'm bored with. BUT, i'm feeling very even-keeled in my mood, I haven't had a hot flash in like 1.5 weeks and i'm sleeping better. Still not enough, and not uninterrupted, but harder. So hard I would have loved to keep on sleeping this morning. My alarm startled me out of a dream. I absolutely hate waking to an alarm and usually am up well before mine goes off, but not this morning. I couldn't manage my run, too much to get done, but I brought my gear so maybe I can run at lunch.
  5. Today
  6. Well, it's been a fun but trying couple of days. Self care has gone out of the window and I am totally sleep deprived and exhausted- very, very exhausted. I just have to survive one more night and I might actually survive. The Roseanne Cash/Ry Cooder show last night was amazing but then BIL et al wanted to play tourist and go check out the honky tonks. That made the third night in a row that we were up until midnight and I wake up at 530 no matter what. The software on my Oura ring is having a fit! I think I'm making it tired, too! In a way, this is making me realize I'm doing better than I thought on the self-care front. Now that I'm doing more neglect than abuse, I feel really inflamed and achy so I guess what I've been doing is heading in the right direction. So good for you on less puffy!! Melissa's podcast last week was about how to set boundaries and hold them. I don't subscribe but I've read the transcripts a couple of times. It was totally directed at me and what I'm letting happen to myself right now. I thought about taking her advice, growing a backbone and bowing out of the show tonight but I don't think I will. Lots of lessons here and I will be more aware next time and not let myself get into this position. Tomorrow is a new day and it is the thread that I'm holding onto right now. Instead of taking the whole day off of work I'm going to wait for house guests to depart THEN go home. I don't want to feel obligated to fix breakfast or whatever. I'm going to come home in the early afternoon and plan for some major down time- bonus is that my husband has someplace to go so I'll have the house to myself for most of the evening. Chicken fail!! She quit eating it so I had to make an emergency emu run yesterday morning. She's still not eating as well as I would like but there may be a "stranger danger" component to it. Hopefully, once the house is quiet and we are back in our usual routine she will get back to her usual routine, too. I got lots of beautiful produce this weekend so I'll have lots of choices and variety for meals this week: yellow "green" beans, lots of greens, the very last sweet, delicious strawberries of the season. Salads! Yaaay! Right now, it's leftovers but they're good leftovers and I'm glad that I have them and didn't have to cook anything else. We HAD to get in the garden yesterday (so at least I've had LOTS of movement this weekend) and I picked the first 3 little zucchinis and there are about 6 plum tomatoes that will be ready to pick either today or tomorrow. "The only two things that money can't buy that's true love and homegrown tomatoes!"
  7. JenX

Back Again and Starting June 1st

@Grace247 I hear you! I loved how I felt on Keto, but absolutely had to do extended fasting to lose any weight and the minute I went off that weight came back. It's why I came back to whole30 as well. I have to say I am missing the dairy, BUT I'll survive without it for now. NO FREE FOOD rule is in full effect again today at work. I swear, this group seems to celebrate more birthdays than # of people working here! Today it's bagels with all the fixings. Bagels I don't care, but I was craving cheese so strongly yesterday I'm going to have to avoid the spread so I don't stick my finger in the cream cheese! LOL!
  8. Aliem999

Allison's Whole 30 Log

Day 19 (Saturday) Did it again! I repeated a day so really Saturday was day 19 and not day 18. Saturday was a busy day. Woke up later because the baby was up half the night so she slept in until 8 (we are starting to get worried that she is sick so she is definitely going to the doctor on Monday). She has been grumpy too! Tried to take her for a car ride to get a nap in before lunch and it did not work. Just wound up taking a grumpy baby to Costco for a few items. After lunch we took the dog to the dog park and of course that is where she decided to sleep, so I couldn't even get in some light jogging and running around with the dogs. Breakfast (8 AM): eggs with spinach and onions, hash browns, guac, salsa, sausage? Lunch (12 PM): remaining chili and guac Dinner (7:30): made a hash with all the wilting produce. carrots, part of a zucchini, a stalk of celery, onions and spicy Italian sausage with an egg and guac on top. NSV: had to go a notch lower on my watch band and I definitely look smaller. Honestly at home has not been a big deal. It is really just the eating out part. Day 30 comes on June 26th for me, so if I extend it for another 15 days end on the 11th of July and another 15 after that is the 26th of July. We definitely have some things planning and are trying to move by the end of July so that would make it harder than going just until the 26th.
  9. Aliem999

Allison's Whole 30 Log

Day 17 (Friday) Friday was a rough day at work. I did not get a ton of movement in and I was so busy in meetings that nothing else really was done. Husband called as I was leaving work and wanted a burger, so picked up the Habit for the family. Breakfast (8 AM): eggs and roasted potatoes and strawberries with coconut Lunch (12 PM): chili and guac Dinner (6:30): habit burger, lettuce wrapped, no mayo, etc.
  10. aurers

Today is the day . . .

Today is the day . . . I am starting the Whole 30 program. I am saying yes to my health. I will make good food choices for myself, my husband, my three kids, my students, my extended family, my community, my tribe. I am asking for support from this community. This is a new journey and I do not want to fail. Yesterday was the 8th Father's Day I celebrate with my dad in heaven, who passed away suddenly at the age of 65. I want to be the healthiest version of me so that I can enjoy life for as long as I can with my family.
  11. @C_Cezeaux, can you post the Cole slaw recipe? I found complaint mayo that tastes devine... like the stuff I remember from childhood. The compliant ketchup tastes like... guess what?....TOMATOES! I'm mad at the food companies and madder at myself for letting them trick me into thinking their product tasted good!
  12. R1D8 One week completed. Since day 2, I'm not hungry. I thought I had a sugar dragon, but it's only reared it's ugly head when I was packing candy bars in my husband's lunch box. Mindlessly, I almost opened one. Day 4 I dreamed I ate a brownie, so maybe the sugar dragon is messing with my subconscious. My "chicken skin" on my upper arms and the rash on my stomach are gone. I can breathe better through my nose and taste my food without taking my daily allergy medication. I have more energy, but yesterday my body told me it needed a nap, so I listened. I'm cooking up a storm and doing a lot of dishes, so other areas of my life are getting less attention. How was your first week? Any NSVs?
  13. Goodmorning! I have officially completed the audiobook and have begun my Whole30 journey. I started paying attention to my cravings and what triggered them while listening to the book and sugar dragon is an understatement for me. I have never been so scared of the craving as I did when I consciously did not choose the sweets for a few weeks and had cake at a baby shower without completely following the system. It was a demon of a craving that hurt my chest and I sadly succumbed too but holy cow it was a scary feeling the need my body made me feel for carrot cake of all things. This morning I had a scramble of two eggs, peppers, kale, carrots, olives. Then my coffee with almond unsweetened creamer. If I am following the 3 meals every 4-5 hours. I will be eating lunch around 10 am and dinner before I leave work. . . that isn't practical for my lifestyle. Any tips from some 8-5 ers out there that rise early but have scheduled lunch hours?? ** side note. . . I work at a computer and have had a tendency to mindless munch in the past, so that is something else I am trying to overcome.
  14. CHING

back again and starting June 17!

Thanks for the supportive words. Feel better already! Might try that mustard as well.
  15. BeginnersMind

In the event you change your mind, I am a big fan of the TJ's Deli Style Spicy Brown Mustard! Ingredients include: Distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, spices, tumeric (spice and color). And as far as the weddings, summer is such a hard time because of all the fun events!!! No shame in prioritizing your health for you if that's the right decision, just as you would stick to a promise or commitment to a friend - but I also understand wanting to be present and not worrying about compliant foods in the moment! I bet if you planned ahead since it's 2 weeks away you'd be able to find a work around! Alternatively, could be awesome to have 2 weeks of whole30 eating as well, that never hurts!
  16. BeginnersMind

Starting June 10th - 30 days til my brothers wedding

Haha. This is the exact reason why I have been slipping on my health journey! It's those darn nuts and nut butters - I mean, honestly, who can actually just eat one spoonful of almond butter?????
  17. CHING

Sounds good! Just reviewing the guidelines- just found out most Dijon mustard is out- no big deal- so it's week 2 for you guys.. I'm worried that I forgot I have 2 weddings in 2 weeks! If it doesn't work out.- I'll just start over!
  18. Jihanna

Feeling better after reintro than on round?

@SchrodingersCat This right here is part of why I believe in personalized Food Freedom. The foods we cut out for Whole30 aren't inherently evil, they're just known to cause inflammation in a lot of people and thus are a smart choice to remove temporarily for a reset... and it's possible for one body to thrive on a removed food while another body suffers from it greatly. Of course, it could just be that you took a little longer and the compliance in-between reintro days has been enough to jolt you forward. Either way, I'm thrilled that you're doing so well!
  19. Jihanna

Home link

Hopefully the Forums link (under Home) still works... so sorry for the wonky site, though. That happened a lot with stuff I was trying to do when using a tablet, until my youngest stole it (ok, not really) from me to do things like Gacha edits, so I totally understand it can throw things off and even prevent you from seeing things as they should be seen (mine didn't seem to know whether to use browser view or mobile view half of the time).
  20. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Dinner was lamb leg steak, roasted golden beets, sweet potato, asparagus and carrot.
  21. FairyL0u

Day Zero

Meal 1 - eggs w/ leek, peppers, mushrooms Meal 2 - chicken w/ left over veg & salad & olives Meal 3 - home made beef burgers, veg (cabbage, broccoli, g beans, b sprouts) an apple bike 10.5, walk 5
  22. Pandora Black

Home link

I’m on a tablet so I can’t hover. The site is a little wonky on my tablet, it’s hard to bring up the menu under the whole 30 link.
  23. Pandora Black

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

Me too! I bought six lbs of wild Alaskan salmon from butcher box.
  24. SchrodingersCat

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

Yum, I'm on a huge salmon kick at the moment.
  25. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Saw my neuro today, he's really happy with me and delighted that I'm down 25kg, and down to one med a day. I talked to him about my fatigue (unavoidable, and I'm unwilling to medicate for it), and about my wonky eyesight (think it's just time I got glasses, I passed all his tests) and about the vertigo (still appears to be food related or W30 wouldn't work so well). It's nice to have a doctor who isn't all about shoving pills at me and actually cheers for getting off meds and healthy living. So. I'm going back to Taekwondo on Wednesday!!! I quit when the vertigo got bad, just before getting my black belt! So I'm starting back with a veiw to going for black at the end of the year.
  26. Keen On Clean Fuel

Feeling better after reintro than on round?

In my experience, some people need a bit more time than the 30 days depending on what they have going on in their bodies. Maybe your body just needed a little bit longer this go 'round to reset and get to that tiger blood
  27. C_Cezeaux

I'll also be happy fo follow along with you. I'm a week ahead, but won't mine extending another week at all.
  1. Load more activity