All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Jihanna

Candida Questions

In a very general sense, yes it's possible to heal our bodies without medication. HOWEVER -- and this is a HUGE caveat -- every body is different, every situation is different, and that makes it impossible for any of us to say with certainty that you can kick it without medications. That said, I truly believe that dietary changes are the very best "first step" if medication isn't already being used... and I believe they're the best method of helping us to bring about lasting changes in health. My suggestion would be to talk with your primary doctor about your concerns, stressing that you'd like to be able to address dietary changes before considering a medication, and then keep a log of what you eat, when it's eaten, and any symptoms you experience (when, severity, etc.) so you're able to keep your doctor updated regarding your progress. If you get enough relief throughout the Whole30 but feel it's still not fully under control, it might be worth discussing an Anti-Candida Diet (or Cleanse) with your doctor. Remember, too, that if you do find that medication might be necessary, that's not a failure... it's just a way of kick-starting your systems so your dietary changes are able to have better lasting effects. Hope that helps
  3. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Still Day 1 Just daydreaming of NSVs I will achieve by the end of this... No headache today so I'm super pumped about that. Time is passing by so slow it is like I should be on Day 4 or 5 already.
  4. Jihanna

Cast Iron Pan - Used to Rub Down with Vegetable Oil

I second Shannon on this one. I wouldn't sweat over what's been used previously, but pick an oil to use during Whole30 that will work well going forward. Personally, I started using olive oil on mine, and I haven't changed that even when we don't have anyone doing a round in the house... of course, I also stopped keeping the other oils in the house altogether, so that could have something to do with it!
  5. Beckha99

Starting July 16!! Successes and woes!

Thanks Emma!! I totally relate to what you said. Isn’t it funny that doing nothing and getting nothing done can make you feel as out of control as running around like crazy? God 15 days seems like forever away to me, but I know I can get there. Keep it up!
  6. Today
  7. ShannonM816

Cast Iron Pan - Used to Rub Down with Vegetable Oil

I would use a compliant oil during whole30, but not worry about what you used before.
  8. KaraS

Candida Questions

Wow thank you so much for this information! I have been stressing trying to find answers and apparently getting conflicting information from my research. So I really appreciate this. One last question. Do you think that these changes can work without doing medication like anti fungi? I want to cure my gut through nutrition, I’m just not sure if I can.
  9. Hi Everyone, I'm on day 8 of my first whole30. I loved cooking on my cast iron pans before the whole30 but have been hesitant to use them because I rubbed them down with vegetable (soybean) oil after every use before I started whole30. My understanding is that when the pan is heated that the oil will soak into the pan to create a non-stick skillet but I'm curious if it will cook into my food too. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
  10. Emma

Starting July 16!! Successes and woes!

"Feeling out of control". That's how I feel, but instead of acting wild and crazy like a kid, I just sink into doing nothing and getting nothing done. It's not a good place to be. I'm fifteen days into a much needed Whole30 and it's nice to be feeling hopeful again. Certainly my body is liking this, but man, it is not a quick process. But I'd rather be in this process than no. You got this!
  11. So this will be my second time doing a Whole30. I am starting today. I actually started yesterday and then messed up last night, so today is day 1 (again). The last time I did this, I was working so it was easier to be distracted from the food stuff, but this time I am unemployed. Some might think it would be easier to workout and plan meals etc, but that isn't me. I hate meal planning. The last time I did this I must have eaten the same meals about 75% of the time. I am in a serious rut in life. Maybe my midlife crisis? I am 41. I have gained 45 lbs in the last 18 months putting me around 225 lbs. I didn't weigh that much with either of my pregnancies!! I have zero motivation to do anything but sit and read. My husband is military and we have moved a bunch. We are currently in San Diego and have been here for 3 years. (PS- We hate California. The weather is great, but other then that...meh.) I really just feel like I am careening out of control, and I need to get my crap together. Less than 2 years ago I was running half marathons, and exercising regularly, and doing well. And then it all went to hell. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for the last 13 years. I also have always had a horrible body image. I need out of this toxic cycle. I am hoping doing the whole30 again will help me jump start things again. Yes, yes, I realize that this may seem like a poor me post, but it is my truth right now. I have really gotten in a terrible routine of having several drinks at night to wind down, and that will be a hard habit to break. But it DEFINITELY needs to happen. Between no alcohol and no sugar, I'm gonna be honest, this is gonna suck. I have already warned my family that the first 10-14 days, I am going to be in a horrible mood. But I have felt so bad for so long, I need to do this. I want to feel good and healthy again, even if it means all the suck to get there!! So yes, I ramble and am all over the place. That's me. I may or may not have been referred to as a "hot mess" from time to time. If you are doing your whole30 around the same timeline as me, or can identify with where I am and want to share and comment (or VENT) on your whole 30, feel free, but be nice!! Here goes nothing....
  12. Jihanna

Candida Questions

Candida is tricky, and while Whole30 cuts out a number of foods that can contribute toward its growth, there are also a number of compliant foods that really should be avoided while Candida is an issue. Dried fruit and fruit juices are high in sugar and feed Candida, regardless of any positive effects they might also have. While Candida's an issue, it's suggested that you remove these from your diet (which means skipping emergency snacks like Larabars). Instead, enjoy fresh fruit (but try to limit that to about a cup per day). Starchy veggies (like sweet potatoes, acorn squash, even spaghetti squash) get broken down into sugars that feed Candida, also. Although W30 does suggest a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable every day, I'd personally try to limit it to that or maybe half that while you're battling this. It might not be possible to reduce it much or any (I know I'm an absolute bear and don't sleep well if I reduce mine), but it's worth checking to see if that's an option for you. Mushrooms (and other fungi) can actually be confused with Candida by the body and immune system, which can cause you to have a reaction (inflammation) to mushrooms that interferes with treatment. Fermented foods are another thing that are suggested (by Dr. Amy Myers) for avoidance during a Candida battle. The reason is that Candida can feed off the fermented foods. Dr. Myers suggests getting the yeast population under control first, and then using fermented foods to help restore good bacteria in the gut. There are some foods that are helpful in fighting Candida overgrowth, also. These include coconut oil, garlic, apple cider vinegar, cruciferous veggies, ginger, olive oil, cloves, cinnamon, wild salmon, and lemon juice. Luckily, ALL of those can be used during W30! Here's the Dr. Myers page I used as reference, though the suggestions she gives are echoed on numerous pages where I've looked for info and suggestions regarding Candida -- https://www.amymyersmd.com/2016/07/9-foods-to-avoid-if-you-have-candida/
  13. rachelmaria33

First Day - Making a commitment

Congratulations on graduating! That is a huge accomplishment. This will be a great one too. My day 1 is tomorrow, 7-17. I completed one back in 2015 but I'm pretty far off track! Good luck!
  14. I’m day 9 on whole 30 and I started already knowing I have candida overgrowth. I have been eating according to the meal template including sweet potato and in emergencies a compliant Lara bar like last night when I was up till 3 am getting my granddaughter from the airport. My questions. Should I stay away from natural sweet things to help kill candida, or will it not affect it? Im having some die off symptoms and wondering how long they will last and if there is anything I can do to make it a little more comfortable but not make it worse. I’m also drinking a ton of water and taking a probiotic. I also am taking aloe pill about every other day as was recommended by my natural path Dr . Yes I was eating a lot of sugar before. So I am somewhat prepared to feel bad but also struggling. Thank you for any help/ support in advance .
  15. Emma

Whole 30 (July 2)

Day 15 - I was coughing a lot last night so I moved out to the sofa, but overall, even my cough is behaving more like a normal person's cough and not my typical reactionary over-the-top cough. I woke up at seven thirty, but given my shorter sleep the night before and interrupted sleep last night, I'm probably not caught up. But I'm awake and awake on my own and feeling okay. I was looking at the list of NSV's. So many of those things are how I wish I was feeling. Not yet though. I'm also grappling with camping and the desire to cheat or not eat. Good thing I'm grappling with it now!! So about those NSV's. I twisted my foot last week and it got better much faster than I expected. I haven't really been complaining too much about any joint things, though the issues haven't officially gone away. Also, yesterday I tried on a bunch of jeans and it was a pleasant experience - pleasant in that I could get them all onto my body!! Some are still a little tight and not so pleasant. Some are a little too big. Some fit, but didn't look terribly good, but I could still put them on and they were comfortable. The sizes ranged from 14-18. That's not bad at all! I'm thrilled that a size 14 is in the future. I'm a bit bummed that I'd gained so much weight that they were out of the picture for so long, but I guess I can't ruminate over the last couple years and the weight up up ups and the weight down and then up. I opted not to meditate this morning. It's so much better when dream world isn't able to slip in. It's riskier though because I get things done when I do them right away. My procrastination skills are tremendously honed and I never even practiced on my personal project the last two days. But after my coffee, I'm going to shower and try to get things back on track and have a back-on-track day. It is a bit of a problem that I discovered a show on Netflix that has captured my attention, but I shall put that aside as well. Goals: Same as everyday (Meditate, Practice, Eat Whole30)
  16. Amy_Michigan

Day 1 After getting almost NO SLEEP last night, and wanting to call in sick today from my Whole30 practice-run of DOOM, I motivated myself to get up and go to work. My grocery plan last night fell through last night, so I'm going tonight. Food to eat today: Frozen Potato Hash Browns (whole 30 compliant), Apple, Salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced almonds, olive oil & balsamic vinegar (compliant), hard boiled eggs... haven't figured out dinner yet. Getting groceries and will probably make some ground beef and eat with zucchini noodles and no-sugar pasta sauce (compliant). Will also pick up carrots, broccoli, and other fruit and vegetables to snack on.
  17. laura_juggles

Why Sear Then Bake?

Practically every cooking show I've ever watched does a hard sear to make the outside yummy and then finish in the oven so it cooks without obliterating the outside. Alternately, you could poach via sous vide and then sear.
  18. Beets

Whole 21

Day 2 food plan m1: sardines and sauerkraut m2: pork and sautéed cabbage m3: burger? Not sure snacks: nuts fruit iced green tea (homemade) Need to shop and notes to self: salad, peppers, cukes, tomatoes, beans, melon, grapes, bok choi [that sautéed bok choi was so good this weekend], more lamb etc etc oh lime for sunshine sauce
  19. Beets

Whole 21

Day 2 Yesterday was a bit wobbly but I made it. Don’t think I ate dinner but I had a couple small lamb burgers mid day, raw peppers. Some nuts on the beach, salami and a lot of coffee. Def not my best but I jumped into this on a whim totally unprepared, which has been my best way of doing it. When I plan I keep pushing it off “I’ll start Tuesday, no I’ll start next Tuesday.” I was looking at old pics of myself through my previous Whole 30s, the first of which I did five years ago. The good news about now is I’ve been doing a lot of Pilates and I’m strong underneath the extra layer. Anyway. Today I’ll do some shopping, cook up my ground pork and cabbage (staple) make some Sunshine Sauce (staple) and buy a bunch of salad stuff. I am super into smoked trout on a simple salad these days. It’ll be my go to. It’s gonna be crazy hot and usually that’s hard for me bc my kitchen is hot and I hate cooking. But I’ll just eat a lot of salad. I feel motivated. My boobs are going to shrink but it’s ok I want to feel good and not hide in pictures.
  20. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat post-W30 diary!

Food freedom... means I'm having a glass or 2 of sparkling wine tonight because we're celebrating But it also means I came home and ate my pre-planned chicken casserole and NOT the pizza we walked past on the way home., and tomorrow is back to normal. Because that's food freedom!
  21. I have all of the ingredients for gyros and tzatziki, too and I'll probably put them together this afternoon. I planned to do it on Sunday but the weekend got away from me. Saturday was farmer's market and grocery followed by two hours of weeding and picking vegetables (mostly weeding!) then I threw a bunch of vegetables and a pound of ground beef together to make what we call "Hamburger Helper". It involved tomatoes that we just picked but had little bo-bo's on them and needed to get used right away plus some other veggies that were getting tired. After that I got a couple of ferments going- a gallon of a slightly sweet spicy pickles (a couple of sprigs of stevia- and I think of it like using dates to mitigate the acid in a sauce so, in my mind it's compliant even though I know it's technically not) and three pints of hot banana peppers. Sunday my husband went back to the garden for more weeding and tomato support and I started cooking: chicken salad plus stock from the bones, baba ganoush with my very first eggplants, got some radishes fermenting with some coriander seeds and made a really nice crustless quick for my breakfasts with zucchini and coconut milk seasoned with rosemary and thyme. It's more custardy than what I usually make and I'm really enjoying it. That was the biggest cook-up I've had in a while and I was pretty well toasted after all of that. Your face wash and lotion sound amazing. I don't have mandarin but I do have sweet orange so I might try that combo in my lotion. I keep it unscented for my husband but I sometimes add some oils to it for me. Do you find much difference between the mandarin and the sweet orange? That sucks about getting a Staph infection from getting waxed. It always seems like anything on your face takes forever to heal, too. I wonder if a little dab of helichrysum between antibiotic doses might help? It supposed to be so good for skin and also anti-inflammatory. I've used it on rashes before and it does seem to calm things down. So glad to hear Spooky is doing so well. I think my sweet girl is winding down. She's still eating and drinking really well and behaving normally but yesterday she seemed to lose her balance a bit. I saw her wobble and have a hard time walking on two occasions but it only lasted a few seconds and then she was fine. I wasn't sleeping very well and was awake at 4 so I came downstairs to check on her. We had a nice little hug fest by moonlight so that was sweet. I think I might pick up some ice cream for her this afternoon; she's an ice cream fanatic and I figure a treat is in order. I'm pretty much feeding her and giving her broth whenever she asks (and it's often!) and a little ice cream at this point isn't going to hurt and, who knows, might help her gain a little weight?? Happy Gyro-ing!
  22. Emma

Whole 30 (July 2)

Day Fourteen - I made it, but not gracefully. I was a bit tired all day. My energy was low. i watched a whole bunch of tv. And I grazed! I kept going into the kitchen looking for something. I didn't know what, but just something. As a result I did eat two Rx bars which I don't think benefitted me in any way. I also took out leftovers and served myself up some big portions trying to stave off this weird seeking behavior. But the day is ending and I'm almost getting in bed. Breakfast: Medium squash and Eggs Lunch: Egg roll in a bowl (ground pork, broccoli slaw) and then another serving Dinner: Turkey meatballs, spinach salad, roasted cauliflower and broccoli I also did NOT practice again today. Ugh. Two days in a row. And I really did have good intentions. It's good to falter though because it gives me a chance to regroup and my plan is to regroup tomorrow. I rather need to because I leave early Wednesday morning to go camping for a couple nights and I still don't have food prepped for me or the kids. Not my chipperest entry, but that's okay. I'm still here plugging along.
  23. Emma

Started June 26-- Day 14!

Wooohooo! Way to go! Way to be out and about and make all those good choices - especially wth the foods your friends were eating. I get it about not wanting it end.
  24. Amy_Michigan

Day 0- Practice Day It is almost 2 AM and I can’t sleep. I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 11:30 to pee then woke up at 12:30 after having a very vivid nightmare. Now every time I start falling asleep my body wakes itself up like I’m in high school math or something. Other symptoms: After dinner I got some nausea and the second start of a bad headache so I took Tylenol right away. Nausea is gone now that I have fallen asleep twice in 1 hour increments. Just really really tired now. Today wasn’t even what I would call day 1 yet. I was doing a practice day before starting tomorrow because I had already had already broken rules at breakfast with a Kind Bar. Today I ate (after breakfast): Potato hash browns, butternut squash soup, a tuna patty with almond flour and lots of fat, frozen blueberries and strawberries. I will make sure I eat more tomorrow and eat full meals.
  25. Emma

Saloni's Whole30 Log

I have the cook book, but haven't opened it up yet. You're making me think I need to do so!!! I take Natural Calm and have been now for years. I like it a lot and I look forward to having it at bedtime. Weird that you're experiencing acidity this time. Any thoughts on what is causing it?
  26. Emma

Allison's Whole 30 Log

You should totally be proud of how this weekend went!!! Keep it up and you'll be able to slide right back into another Whole30! I wonder what it will be like in Vegas. I can totally imagine some great prime rib and veggies (cooked in butter) as options, but it's such a big and varied place and I only have memories from years ago. Kudos for your weekend!!
  27. SassySal

Saloni's Whole30 Log

Hi Emma, yes the carrot slaw is fantastic! It's in the recipe for Moroccan chicken in the Whole30 Cookbook. Today is Day 13. Yesterday I made North African skillet chicken and potato noodles! They were delish! I've been experiencing a lot of acidity this time around. I'm taking a compliant magnesium supplement and I think that's helping me with my digestion, mood and sleep. I had a bad skin breakout in early June and that's starting to clear up.
  1. Load more activity