All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Darn! I don’t know if this thread is reassuring or stressful. Between my days 17-26 (on day 26 now) I feel the same! I just feel like I’ve been gaining weight. Energy not substantially changed, nor much of my life. But maybe that’ll change at the end. Interesting.
  3. One of the many things I learned from my Whole30 experience is just how many food rituals we have that we don't even realize we have. For me, it's camping! Depriving myself of cheese, crackers, salami, and hot chocolate actually affected my camping experience. It just wasn't quite the same. And I didn't even know those things we so linked in my mind until I chose not to have one of them! If nothing else, it's always better to be mindful of the choices we make, and not simply a slave to habits!
  4. Today
  5. Yesterday
  6. BeginnersMind

Starting Now

@JulieAW Rooting for you! I am on Day6 today, but excited to share this journey with you. Taking the first step is arguably the hardest, here's to healthier living!
  7. Here's to a quiet house and a return to normal routine, for you and your tired Oura ring. When I am as tired as you feel right now, I always notice that even my hair seems tired. Does that happen to you? I read your post this morning before I jetted out to get my sprints and some gardening in before I had to leave the house. I was thinking about the meditation principle, that it's not how long can I hold my focus, but how readily can I re-establish it when it's interrupted. So my hope for you is that you can recover your rhythm and feel that inflammation go back down in just a few days. You've got this, and all that beautiful produce will usher the way. And lucious homegrown tomatoes any day, yum. I'm going to check out that podcast transcript on boundaries, too....I appreciate podcasts in theory, I just have never figured out how to make it work for me to listen to them, not liking to multi-task (or wear ear buds), and all that. Sometimes I try, while working in the kitchen, but again, the multi-tasking, ugh. So a transcript it will have to be! Will you enjoy the show tonight? I can imagine the wisdom of my older sister, saying, "If that is your decision, enjoy it, and don't regret it!" I like your choice to go to work tomorrow morning so you're not obligated to host and make/clean up breakfasts, etc. That is good boundaries, too! And a clean, quiet house to enjoy tomorrow evening. Aaaahhhh. I had a little melt down on Sunday, feeling frustrated and cranky about the pace, and my over commitments, and all of the things I want to do that are sitting on the back burner. Of course I had to realize that I set the pace and the schedule, and I have to look at boundaries, myself, squarely in the mirror. The new house gets really dusty, and the gorgeous wood walls make it hard to see the cobwebs, but see them clearly now, I do, and I've been putting it off ad infinitum. Plus, with Spooky's frequent urination, she is tracking litter ALL over the house, and I can't keep up with it. I'm calling her Sandy Paws. So basically, I'm back at Square One with time management, and learning to say no, so definitely a review of boundaries is in order for me, too....and then on the other side of the housework are even more important things, like writing and reading, and, and, and... Today's triumph was that because I didn't have to leave the house until 1030 I had time to increase the sprints AND garden. I made three laps, with the first one being a warm-up. I spent some quiet, slow time in the California poppies, and snipped some seed pods that look about ready, and picked up a few off the ground that had already shattered, but still had some seeds in them. This made me very happy, then weed pulling and tidying up. All good. I managed to whip up a double batch of shrimp patties last night, so that will be dinner for a couple of nights, and bison is thawing to make Doner kabobs out of WF2. The green bean experiment is going well - I just blanch them to re-heat, and they will soon be gone - no spoilage. Hopefully you are right about the stranger danger - that sounds right on...more will be revealed, right? Happy afternoon off, tomorrow!!
  8. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

No. More. Wine. Had a couple of glasses of red last night because something we'd been waiting for for ages finally came through. Not really a celebration, but an excuse haahaa Fish day! We're having salmon, because salmon. It means I'm having salmon for all 3 meals today and I don't care because salmon! Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut Meal 2: Salmon patties with spicy mayo and coleslaw with Thai dressing Meal 3: Salmon with asparagus, broccolini, lemon garlic potatoes and kalamata tapenade
  9. JenX

JenX- Round 3.5 June 2019

My theory about enough fat in my soup proved wrong. I'm not even at the 4 hr mark and i'm starving! LOL! Live and learn. I'll add something to tomorrow's lunch.
  10. JulieAW

Starting Now

Thank you!! I’m e voted to get started!
  11. I can very much relate to evenings in front of the TV watching whatever and craving salt, fat and sugar. In fact, watching TV is a trigger for me so in tandem with starting the Whole30 yesterday, I'm givng up TV/streaming/etc. I'm looking forward to seeing what I do with the extra time I have on my hands.
  12. Keen On Clean Fuel

Today is the day . . .

@aurers kudos to you for taking this first step! Not just for yourself, but for your loved ones! Give yourself grace, it is a learning process and my advice is to do just a little at a time as it will make it more of lifestyle change versus a quick fix. YOU GOT THIS Let us know how we can support you!
  13. Keen On Clean Fuel

Super stressed, about to quit

@Oaklandish1 -- Eating out does take a good bit of practice. Not to mention, it isn't always as satisfying since we have so many limitations while on Whole30. Any progress you were able to make is commendable progress and I don't think you should discount that. It's all about the small steps and small victories in my book
  14. Jihanna

Today is the day . . .

Congratulations for taking the first step -- making the decision and tying it to a date -- and for wanting to do this not only for yourself but for your family as well. You can do this
  15. Jihanna

Starting Now

I'm nearly halfway through my current round, but wanted to say congratulations and welcome You've got this.
  16. kirbz

I'm sorry for the struggles you had. I absolutely, 100% do not eat out on Whole except for an occasional Chipotle bowl. The thought of asking all the questions you have to ask to know something is compliant is way, way too overwhelming and stressful for me. When I travel, I do not eat Whole30. I make smart food choices. And I'm fortunate enough that reintroductions have shown me that I don't have any significant food sensitivities. But I don't even try to eat Whole30 on the road. And I would never do one when I had to be on the road (except camping, which keeps me in control of my food). It's just too much. I share this because I hope you don't judge Whole30 on the experience of a traveling Whole30. It's so much harder. It's likely you inadvertently ate something you shouldn't have, which means you aren't realizing the full benefits of the program. And it's just plain stressful. So yeah, I hope you give it a little more time and a chance for it to be less stressful for you! Anyway, regardless of how you move forward, you have LOTS to be proud of we wish you the very best!
  17. Jihanna

I'm totally going to echo Shannon here. Eating out is HARD, especially if it's not a place that already kind of caters to dietary needs. Even the ones that offer Paleo options aren't always going to have something that works well for Whole30. No amount of doing this at home will be adequate preparation for doing it in a restaurant or while traveling, you just kind of have to do it (if necessary) and learn what works for you. Take the whole experience as a win!
  18. Ohh! also mayo. nothing by my own homemade mayo in the house. I absolutely love it.
  19. JulieAW

Today is the day . . .

Good for you!!! My day one is tomorrow!!
  20. Aliem999

Allison's Whole 30 Log

Day 20 (Sunday) Crazy day. Made a Fathers day breakfast for my husband and father in law. The pancakes did not even tempt me, though I did almost lick my fingers! Would I have liked to have one, sure, but also giving them up was not a big deal (though I am not a sweets person anyway). Breakfast was a hit. My daughter threw a fit before swim practice so we left. Oh well. They are are giving us a make up. Dinner out was easy to navigate. I did have killer heartburn as I was trying to sleep. I tried all natural remedies I had on hand, but it was so bad I felt like throwing up and could not sleep. I usually never get heartburn so I am not sure why I got it and so badly. I made the executive decision and took some tums. Not compliant, but I was so miserable at that point I figured it would kind of count under the "doctors advice" column. I felt better almost instantly and I definitely do not regret it. If this were my first one, I likely would have felt bad, but I am also likely adding on extra days so it will likely wash out. Breakfast (9:30 AM): eggs with spinach and onions, hash browns, sauteed mini sweet peppers, strawberries and blueberries, guacamole Lunch (2 PM): some of the leftover hash and a fried egg. I was not super hungry from such a large and late breakfast and I knew we were going to dinner at 5 so I only had a small meal Dinner (5 PM): We went to Souplantation for dinner. Made a huge salad with lots of eggs and brought some ghee for a baked potato NSV: my rings are sliding around a lot again. Definitely more confident. Fairly happy. Sleep is all over the place but that is because of my daughter and not what I am doing so I cannot really say whether that is better or not.
  21. ShannonM816

Eating out on a whole30 is hard, and nobody is good at it the first time. Lots of us who have done multiple whole30s still try to plan doing a strict one at a time when we don't have travel and dining out to contend with. You managed, and that is great, and you should celebrate it.
  22. After my 2nd whole30 I pretty much lost all taste for pasta, grains and breads. I honestly prefer my hamburgers and turkey burgers either wrapped in lettuce or on a grilled or baked Portobello mushroom. If I actually have bread in the house (a rare occurrence) I keep it in the freezer because it will mold before I ever get around to eating it. I have rice with sushi on the rare occasions I go out for sushi, that's about it.
  23. Oaklandish1

Yeah I wanted to place my faith in the process and see if new eating habits would fix it but no dice. I had a colonoscopy last fall for some back and forth irregularity, I don’t want to get too much into TMI... but it came up good so the doctor suspects I have a lazy colon/sphincter and there’s not much they could do except recommend fiber supplements, especially since my diet was already adequate in cruciferous veggies and greens Its so so nice to be home with my kitchen and control over my schedule and food options. I know that’s a little bit of a crutch and I’m supposed to be good at traveling and eating out on whole 30… But I guess I’m just not ready
  24. ShannonM816

Officially beginning to a new food mindset

Maybe try a mini meal at 10 am, something with some protein, some fat, and maybe some veggies, but not a full meal. A hard boiled egg, some mayo, a few carrot sticks, or a few bites of chicken with some guac. That should be enough to get you to lunch, and then hopefully dinner will be soon enough that you can make it til then, but if you need to eat something before, again go for some protein, some fat, and some vegetables, as opposed to snacky things like handfuls of nuts, and definitely don't go for fruit on it's own, just because it can mess with your blood sugar a bit.
  25. JulieAW

Starting Now

Well actually tomorrow, but getting prepped now. I’m e cited to change my life regarding food and all things related to food. Have been in a never- ending downward cycle since I had to quit running 4 years ago. Over the four years I have experienced depression, a 50 lbs weight gain, inflammation, and a whole list of other not fun things. I want my life back. I wanna energy back. I want my health back. Anyone else starting this week?
  26. JenX

Headaches

Iodized salt is certainly an easy source, but you can get plenty of iodine in your food. Tuna, shrimp, shellfish, salt-water fishes (cod, salmon, swordfish, sardines, etc.), & eggs have it, as does seaweed. And they don't have sugar which many brands of iodized salt do contain. My $0.02, your headache went away because of the potatoes more than the iodine. Waking up with a headache points to dehydration in some form. Carbs help you retain water. I'd personally make sure to get one serving of carb-y veggies in with dinner each night and see if that doesn't cure your morning headaches.
  27. JenX

Oh! forgot today. June 17 - day 17 M1: BF salad, 2 strips, 2 eggs, bacon fat, 1/2 avo, 1/2 tom, sherry vinegar on arugula M2: cabbage roll soup. No added fat - this soup was made with my own fatty bone broth, and 80/20 ground beef. If it doesn't keep me full, i'll add fat tomorrow, but i'm pretty sure it will. M3: steak, zucchini/mushroom/onion, chimichurri. coconut milk decaf coffee [planned]
  28. JenX

Catch up from this weekend June 14 M3: chicken breast, yam, broccoli. coconut milk in coffee after dinner for fat. handful of raw pumpkin seeds. June 15 m1: breakfast salad (2 strips s.f. bacon, 2 eggs on arugula 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a tomato) m2: last of the Tom Kha, fried cauliflower rice, chicken., pumpkin seeds m3: 2 mojo marinaded chicken wings, some Tikka Masala chicken breast. Leftover salad w/vinaigrette , yam June 16 M1: leftover hash w 1 egg. coconut milk in coffee M2: chili w/ 1 whole avocado, 1/2 a mango in chili powder and lime juice, pumpkin seeds. M3: compliant chicken Italian sausage pasta sauce on spaghetti squash. Olives in sauce + EVOO on top. snack: 1/2 a palm of chicken breast with mayo and mustard, pumpkin seeds. Need to cut the seeds out.... they're becoming a crutch b/c I'm out of my favorite, almonds. I'm out of those on purpose, so shouldn't be trying to replace them. I was super lazy all weekend. All I got done was laundry, cooking, and washing the car. I think I needed some down-time though. I'd taken Friday afternoon off so I was able to get all the shopping done - it was glorious to wake up Saturday without that chore hanging over my head. I do think i'm suffering from a bit of food boredom. I keep trying to switch things up, but its more the planning, shopping, cooking aspect i'm bored with. BUT, i'm feeling very even-keeled in my mood, I haven't had a hot flash in like 1.5 weeks and i'm sleeping better. Still not enough, and not uninterrupted, but harder. So hard I would have loved to keep on sleeping this morning. My alarm startled me out of a dream. I absolutely hate waking to an alarm and usually am up well before mine goes off, but not this morning. I couldn't manage my run, too much to get done, but I brought my gear so maybe I can run at lunch.
  1. Load more activity