All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. SchrodingersCat

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

Yum, I'm on a huge salmon kick at the moment.
  3. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Saw my neuro today, he's really happy with me and delighted that I'm down 25kg, and down to one med a day. I talked to him about my fatigue (unavoidable, and I'm unwilling to medicate for it), and about my wonky eyesight (think it's just time I got glasses, I passed all his tests) and about the vertigo (still appears to be food related or W30 wouldn't work so well). It's nice to have a doctor who isn't all about shoving pills at me and actually cheers for getting off meds and healthy living. So. I'm going back to Taekwondo on Wednesday!!! I quit when the vertigo got bad, just before getting my black belt! So I'm starting back with a veiw to going for black at the end of the year.
  4. Today
  5. Keen On Clean Fuel

Feeling better after reintro than on round?

In my experience, some people need a bit more time than the 30 days depending on what they have going on in their bodies. Maybe your body just needed a little bit longer this go 'round to reset and get to that tiger blood
  6. C_Cezeaux

back again and starting June 17!

I'll also be happy fo follow along with you. I'm a week ahead, but won't mine extending another week at all.
  7. End of week 1! That's the hardest part of the timeline for me. Not that the rest is super easy, but nothing like the groggy fatigue of week one. Going to have to heavily rely on pre-prepped veg from the local grocery store - thank goodness they have a good produce dept. The dairy free coleslaw was quick, easy, and tasty, so it goes in my lunch again this week. I can alternate shrimp and eggs to make it more of a salad, have avocados at the ready. Boom. Lunches planned.
  8. Spend a good amount of time looking at yourself in a full length mirror. Be honest, but do not allow yourself to speak negatively of what you see there. Accept what is and if you don't like it, plan what you will do to change what is changeable. (Sorry, some things are just marks of life experience). It's a good body, it's carried you this far. Encourage yourself like you would a daughter or a friend.
  9. Good job on making it through the family outing, those can be tough! Mindless eating and the no brakes are ones I struggle with as well. Had been doing really well with it until I had surgery last fall, then picked up the habit of eating in my recliner again during recovery. I do much better if I sit down at the table for regular meals. My no brakes foods have at least been healthy foods, but it didn't do me much good when I could munch through a bag of nuts instead of my handful. Looking forward to Week 2!
  10. SchrodingersCat

Protein (beef fat)

I'm not all over the science, but I believe that the highest concentration of undesirables in meat are concentrated in the fat (as that's the storage component), so if you're not in a position to purchase higher quality meat, the best step you can take is to remove all visible fat.
  11. Yesterday
  12. Pandora Black

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

Day 17 Breakfast - Butternut squash noodles with meaty marinara sauce, coconut flakes Lunch- teriyaki salmon, butternut squash, sweet potato wedges with tessamaes ranch dressing, a peach Dinner will be steak and broccoli or cauliflower, olives
  13. SchrodingersCat

It definitely wasn't a lack of food, but very possibly a lack of carbs. I was rarely eating potato, but was eating other root vegetables. I'm still chugging through reintro now and still feeling better. Odd.
  14. Pandora Black

Just get back on the horse, you got this!
  15. SchrodingersCat

As predicted, I woke up at 4am and never went back to sleep. Red wine does that to me every time and I don't seem to flippin' learn. SIGH. THEN this morning I forgot to put the meal I'd prepared to slow cook today in the damn slow cooker, so BOO!! We'll have it tomorrow, and tonight I'll just grill something. I was compliant all weekend, save for the alcohol, and I actually regret that. It was not the plan and as such I feel like I slipped. It goes to show how slippery that slope is!! I'm paying for it with gastric distress (code for additional bathroom time) and heartburn. Anyway. Compliant today and tomorrow, dairy on Wednesday IF I'm otherwise fine. Maybe Thursday to let my belly settle down. Meal 1: Hot smoked salmon and spicy kraut Meal 2: Salmon patties with spicy mayo and coleslaw with Thai dressing Meal 3: Pork chops with roasted veggie medley and dukkah
  16. ShannonM816

Protein/Fruit/Nuts

Eggs are a great protein source. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, almonds, and pumpkin seeds are all fine to have, but none are really complete protein sources. Broccoli and brussel sprouts would count as vegetables, and all nuts and seeds are considered fats (except peanuts which are legumes and not allowed on whole30). Psychologically, we would encourage you not to think of fruit as dessert, at least not on a daily basis, especially if you currently feel meals are not complete without something sweet to end them. That's more about changing how you think about food. There's nothing inherently wrong with having fruit, or even with occasionally having it as dessert on a special occasion, but you should think about how you currently feel about dessert and if breaking a habit of having them or just getting over your sweet tooth in general is something important to you. Pre-wo is somewhat individualized. If the handful of nuts or seeds is working for you, it's fine to keep doing that. Here's more about the latest guidelines for pre and post-workout foods: https://whole30.com/2019/02/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/
  17. Bewitchedbyfood

What did your meals look like during your whole30? You may be right in your thinking of not enough food or carbs.
  18. BeginnersMind

back again and starting June 17!

@CHING would love to join you on your journey! We'll be a few days off since 6/16 is Day 5 for me, but I am looking to grow my online support system in this process! It's my first reset!
  19. I'm a sucker for sweets!!! I have a feeling I will be in a similar position, as I have so much difficulty eating "just one". I hope that I will be able to feel more self-confident and empowered by this process. What recommendations do people have to cultivate self-love and address issues with body image?
  20. BeginnersMind

Starting June 10th - 30 days til my brothers wedding

@C_Cezeaux Glad to hear you've made it through the fatigue! I don't necessarily feel tired, but I don't feel super energized, if that makes sense. Today is Day 5 for me, and it was my first social/family outing. I had a fleeting thought "oh maybe I should join in with everyone for the celebration" and was thankful that my husband was around to support my health decisions and remind me of my goals. Prior to beginning the Whole30, I wasn't eating terribly unhealthy foods, but too much in quantity. I'm still working on the overeating issue - it's only when I'm alone in the home, and I catch myself mindless eating or having difficulty with no-break foods! It's gotten a little better this week through practicing mindful eating, but I'm still playing around with what foods tend to increase my cravings....no surprise it is often carb dense foods, including sweet potatoes or starchy vegetables...sometimes I use the test "would you eat boiled chicken" to detect whether it's true hunger or desire to avoid feelings of stress/boredom/anxiety/sadness.
  21. True Primal

Protein (beef fat)

If you're worried about low quality meat being contaminated with pollutants etc, why are you only concerned about the fat though?
  22. C Evans

How do you drink your coffee on whole30?

So far on day 13, it doesn’t seem like a big loss to me,....I saw this sign in a DC Dolcezza, and didn’t take it in the literal sense, but rather the road ahead.....at least for the next 17+ days....
  23. sisterannellen

Protein/Fruit/Nuts

Day 1 and here are my questions so far Is it essential to have meat/fish at every meal or are eggs an adequate protein. Do Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, almonds and pumpkin seeds have enough protein to substitute for meat/fish/eggs Can fruit be eaten as dessert after a meal or should it always be incorporated into the meal preworkout early morning -does a handful of nuts or seeds qualify
  24. The article that is linked above is focused on exercise performance with a bias towards carbohydrate fueling. If there's one time of day where you would try to bump up insulin with low-fat fruit and protein, then during a workout would seem to be that time. I like blending berries (blackberries, though blueberries work well also) and drinking that right before working out. Consuming additional hard food *during* a general strength/fitness workout seems impractical to me though. That's just not the time to be trying to chew anything. In any case though, since the purpose is exercise performance, the thing to do would be measure your exercise performance. Perhaps experiment with different amounts/types of food and see what works best?
  25. SchrodingersCat

OK, this was not a great weekend. All food was compliant but there was champage yesterday and organic red wine today. I just know I'm going to wake up with anxiety. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The prime rib was AMAZING. Best cut of meat I've ever cooked. Had it with mashed potato and pumpkin with ghee, and steamed broccolini and asparagus, and a handful of almonds. Back to 100% compliant tomorrow, Dairy has been bumped to Wednesday.
  26. Samantha Ribeiro

Protein (beef fat)

Thbks @erinj that's what i thought. So the best thing to do is live it out when we don't know the source of ir right? Thanks
  27. Pandora Black

Must use throat lozenges

I agree, this trumps the rules.
  28. SchrodingersCat

Prepped: Green Thai Curry Salmon patties Roast chicken Salad mayo spicy mayo Salad dressing Beef stock Chicken stock Currently eating salmon patties, yum!
  1. Load more activity