All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ShannonM816

Caramel Color in Beef Broth

Caramel color is made from sugar, which is why on the forum mods have always said avoid it. I am not sure why it didn't end up on any of the additives or sneaky sugars lists. What I would say is, avoid it going forward, but for now, just keep going.
  3. ShannonM816

Wondering if whole30 is for me.

You might want to browse this part of the forum: https://forum.whole30.com/forum/26-success-stories/ -- there are a lot of us who have felt better and more energetic after whole30. What I would say is, you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying. It's 30 days, plus 10 or so more for reintroductions, of eating lots of vegetables, protein, and healthy fats. If nothing else, it may help you find new recipes that you enjoy, and you may feel better at the end of 30 days than you've felt in years.
  4. Today
  5. Contessa

Contessa's Food Freedom

Whew. It's Thursday and I am ready to reset! I don't know what the deal is, but I have slept poorly for the past couple of nights after enjoying some decadent homemade ice cream. Last night, I had legitimate acid reflux in the middle of the night! It was only the second time in my life that I've experienced that particular barrel of monkeys. (If you've never experienced acid reflux, don't rush out and experience it. It's really awful.) I don't feel like I had eaten a ton of ice cream, but whatever I ate was not loved by my body. This morning, after a fitful night of sleep, before I had even changed out of my pajamas, the decadent homemade ice cream went right into the garbage. Yep, there it is, melting all over yesterday's coffee grounds and eggshells. I have been feeling too good to sacrifice for that ice cream. That was decidedly #NotWorthIt. So thankful to have the framework of good W30 meals to fall back on. Onward, upward.
  6. laura_juggles

Hmm...I could have sworn that it used to be on a couple different lists as a no-go. Hopefully a mod will come in and give a better answer, but I would say that you did your searching and could not find a definitive answer from the official Whole30 resources, so in the grand scheme of things you can just keep trucking along.
  7. ChristyR

July Whole30

Day 10: Coffee w nutpods, cashews Cucumber, epic bar, strawberries, blueberries Rxbar Roasted vegetable salad Dried fruit and almonds
  8. Yesterday
  9. I am 57 years old and for the past few months I have been feeling horribly physically which is making me super depressed. I am tired all the time. I've been trying to work on my nutrition because I feel like that's why I don't feel good. I have no energy and just don't feel good. Have other people experienced what I'm going through? And if so, did whole30 work for you. I'm tired of not feeling good.
  10. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

Thank you, @Contessa! I feel like I'm following in your footsteps, and looking forward to continuing to navigate this journey as it works for me, just as you are doing for yourself! No impact from my one tomato yesterday-yay!! So I ate another tomato with breakfast this morning . Will still monitor and go back to no nightshade days for a while. Day 40/60 0 days without nightshades Mood-8, Energy-8 (and I've been awake since just before 4 am, up and walking by 5 am) pain-1 (a little hip/back tightness while walking, probably because I was out so early). Progress on goals 1) 5 minutes (!) of yoga just before bed last night 2) did my pushups and lunges this morning. M1-BLTs M2-Cantaloupe, avocado dip, veggies M3-Chicken and broccoli I probably won't be journaling for the next couple of days as I'll be away. The plan is to stick to w30 even with all the restaurant eating. Back on Saturday to update my journal!
  11. ChristyR

July Whole30

Day 9: Banana, coffee w nutpods Half an avocado, cucumber, Epic bar, strawberries, blueberries Salad w avocado, tomatoes, grilled chicken Raisins, cashews
  12. Last week
  13. keithbakerlv

Can I have 5-hour energy drinks?

I liked your reply but I don't like your reply. Thanks though!
  14. Contessa

Take Advantage

This list of NSVs is excellent! Your focus and resolve are inspiring.... Not to mention your relationship with black coffee. I have always aspired to be someone who relished black coffee, but I have never managed to make it work. It is wonderful how sensitive the Whole 30 makes your palate. We can find layers of flavor — no need to pave over the coffee flavor with gallons of cream! I love this NSV for you. Also so excited about your energy and motivation, your physical ease, your joyful bike riding — that NSV feels so freeing and wonderful! So glad you captured this list. Keep up the good work!
  15. ShannonM816

Sucralose is a sweetener -- you can download a Sneaky Sugars list for other words you might see that indicate sugar and sweeteners here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  16. keithbakerlv

I just started reading the book but I don't think it is covered. I know that coffee is OK so other than these being artificial I don't know why they wouldn't be allowed but my gf says its a hard no. Here are the ingredients. Please only respond if you have a definite reason because I know caffeine is allowed and I don't see any sugar listed on the package. Niacin Vitamin B6 Folic Vitamin B12 Taurine D-Gluarconolacttonne Malic Acid N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine Caffeine Cognizin Citicoline Potatassium Nitrate, Benzoate, Sorbate Sucralose Calcium Disodium
  17. Hi everyone, I'm on day 9 of my Whole30, and for the past 5 days or so I've been getting periods of feeling flushed, hot, and sometimes sweating, about 30-60 minutes after eating. Sometimes it resolves quickly, within several minutes, and other times it takes longer (1-2 hours). I've tried to pay attention to see if there is any food in particular that might be causing this, but so far I haven't had a lot of luck. MAYBE nightshades (potatoes and tomatoes) or eggs, or both, but I'm not sure yet. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it a normal body response? Yesterday I started thinking it could be not enough carbs, so I added some potatoes (hadn't had any before then). I didn't seem to have a reaction last night, but I had potatoes and steak for breakfast and I'm feeling flushed again. It feels like it MIGHT be a blood sugar issue (I'm not diabetic, but have had issues with low blood sugar), but I don't know how to tell the difference between blood sugar and a food reaction.
  18. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

I rode for a little over seven miles yesterday with a friend, then we sat on her deck and cooled down. A great reward for doing the exercise, and it was a fairly easy ride going with a friend. It feels so nice to have the energy and motivation to get out and do something active with someone and not be terribly worried that I won't be able to keep up or will have pain issues and have to slow or stop. I got a little tightness in my hip and knee during the last few minutes of our ride, so this is good. Day 39/60, 4th day without nightshades - will try some tomato and jalapeno today. Mood-7, Energy-8, Pain 0, none during short walk this morning. Didn't sleep well last night, so didn't want to get up as early this morning for a longer walk. Plus, it's supposed to be a beautiful day, so I can walk again later. Sleep...I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I don't need as much sleep as I think I do. I'm not tired during the day most of the time, I have good steady energy throughout the day, and I almost always wake up on my own (though the dog occasionally contributes to an early morning). Typically, I fall asleep purposefully while watching tv. Then I wake up sometime in the early morning hours and stay awake for an hour or so and just think about stuff while trying to go back to sleep, then I sleep a few more hours. I try to stay awake later in order to wait for my son to get home, but I often fall asleep while waiting. Mornings after I've been awake for hours during the night, I think that I should stay in bed and try to sleep even though I don't usually go back to sleep and end up getting up in the next 30 minutes. Maybe I should try just getting up and going with the day. I can certainly take a nap if I need to. Progress on July goals: 1) 20 min yoga last night 2) push-ups and squats this morning. M1-3 eggs, homemade sausage, spinach. Too filling, didn't finish it. M2-Epic beef and jalapeno broth, sliced tomato and mayonnaise M3-leftover orange chicken with broccoli. This was a fairly easy and delicious instant pot recipe. Labor intensive, with mincing garlic and ginger, zesting and juicing a bunch of oranges. but once the prep work was done, it came together well. My son, who loves Chinese take-out, thought it was delicious. Some NSVs: -I can stand and walk at any time of day, without having to wait for my creaky joints to catch up and be ready to move. I can walk up and down the stairs correctly, most of the time (as opposed to side ways or two feet on each step). And I'm getting more and more range of motion in my left knee. -Less swelling and bloating, thinner ankles, thinner face, thinner legs. If I keep this up, I might actually be able to wear tall boots this fall. -Energy and motivation. My mind doesn't make up excuses and delays for doing things, I just do it, so much less procrastination. For example, I'll think, "I need to do laundry" and then I'll go up and get a load of laundry and start it. And then fold my clothes as they come out of the dryer without much thought. It's hard to verbalize this change, but it's pretty remarkable. Part of this has to do with I can move more without pain, especially up and down the stairs, but it's also a shift in my mental state. -Great skin. My face glows and looks younger, I don't have the patches of dry skin on my elbows and scalp that I used to have. And I don't burn as easily as I used to. -Detached approach to cravings. I still have cravings related to environmental cues, such as wanting to raid the pantry when I wake in the middle of the night. But instead of the uncontrollable face dive into the crackers/cookies/loaf of bread with butter that I used to feel compelled to engage in, I can now observe the craving from afar, recognize it for what it is, then dismiss it. -Clearer thinking. Less, "What did I want to do?" or "What was I going to say?" This still happens sometimes, but nowhere near as often as it used to. -Enjoyment of black coffee. Seriously. I was a heavy, sweetened cream (Sweet Italian cream...), do-you-want-a-splash-of-coffee person. Now, I love the savory, bitterness of a good cup of iced coffee. This switch alone has probably resulted in me losing 5 pounds. And I don't miss the cream at all. -Stable mood. I have experienced great mood swings around a person in my life, which is primarily due to my own thought processes as opposed to anything that person has done or said. But I've observed an ability to look at things with calmness and rationality that I couldn't previously access around this person. Stuff I'm working through, but it is definitely much easier to be thoughtful rather than reactive. -Better self-esteem. I feel better about myself and how I look. While I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, I'm not too concerned about that. I generally feel attractive and sexy, especially when I brush my hair and put on some make-up . I know that may sound conceited, but I feel the opposite of how I felt about myself two months ago. I was a lump, a slug, a lazy and fat, bloated whale. My weight has gone down, but not significantly so and I still am not fitting into the clothes I want to fit into. Yet, I feel SO much better about myself.
  19. CharisElysia

Hello. I read through the entire Whole30 book as well as the sneaky sugar list on the website and did not see anything about caramel color not being allowed. I used organic beef broth that lists that as an ingredient but says 0g of sugar. I saw some people posting in the forum that it was a form of sugar. I’m wondering if I ruined my Whole30....
  20. ChristyR

July Whole30

Day 8: Almonds (at 2 am) Coffee w nutpods, banana Cucumber, strawberries, blueberries Vegan veggie bowl w kale, beets, sweet potato, and cucumber Half an avocado, cauliflower rice w eggs and spinach Strawberries, blueberries, small banana, cashews Too much food? I feel like that's a lot today.
  21. latergator

Day 23. Very Frustrated

@Jillspin - Did your gout symptoms ever resolve? If so, how long did it take? I'm on Day 8 of my first Whole 30, and my boyfriend started experiencing gout symptoms on Day 3. By Day 7, he couldn't walk. He's a nurse so "wait and see" is not a viable option for us right now. He's going to eat whatever his heart wants for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, but join me with Whole 30 dinners. Internet research has been less than helpful with mostly anecdotal advice.
  22. latergator

Whole30 & Gout

Hi Gronewold, I was wondering if you had an update on how you handled your situation. I hope you're feeling better now and no longer having any symptoms. We started our Whole30 journey on 7/6, and my boyfriend had the exact same issue you are having. Like you, I did some basic internet research and couldn't really find the answers. He started experiencing symptoms in his big toe on Day 3 and by Day 6/7, it was painful for him to walk. Normally, he might have tried to stick it out, but he is a nurse and spends his time on his feet. Yesterday, he discontinued Whole 30, and going forward he is going to eat his normal breakfast, lunch, and snacks, while only participating in Whole 30 for dinner with me.
  23. Hi, guys, I am doing the Whole30 for the first time and I am on day 8. My main doubt is how much fruit and starchy vegetables should I eat a day. I've seen the meal templates, but I do not feel like eating too much at once, I was used to snacking a fruit in the afternoon, for example. And now I don't know how to include the fruit in my diet. Should I choose between a fruit and a starchy vegetable or can I have both? Are there fruits that are better? Can I have fruit/starchy vegetables both at lunch and at dinner? Thank you so much!
  24. Hello My name is Kimgoodie, I am starting my 1st whole 30 today, looking for some buddies to take the ride with me
  25. MadyVanilla

Contessa's Food Freedom

Yes, I know exactly this experience that you speak of. Hooray! Here's to rejecting your old oppressive tendency and being actively intent in your choices, being in the moment and recognizing that you are in control! You are rewarding yourself with decadent coffees and chocolate-based treasures...not punishing yourself with sugar-laden, emotion-blunting, quick-fix bombs. Perspective, vigilance, staying in-tune and checked in...We should be born with these things, not take decades to learn them!
  26. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

I skipped logging yesterday, was reading a really good book and just never got on the computer. The Mexican-styled ground beef turned out delicious even without the chili powder. I had it again last night over a salad, with a homemade-mayo/fresh-squeezed lime dressing. Three and 1/2 mile hike in the cool woods with the dog yesterday, too. I did the Saturday meal planning and started my grocery order, but then decided I would do an instacart order on Saturday, as I'll be out of town Thursday-Saturday morning. Those days are going to be challenging- going to stay with some friends who are on vacation, so all meals will be eaten out. Day 38/60, Day 3 no nightshades Mood-6, energy-6, pain-0. Yesterday's hike I completed 44 minutes before feeling pain. I have been a little more achy in small joints the last two days, though, and have taken medication to help with sleep. As a result, I've also slept really well the last two nights! Progress on goals: 1) 60 min yoga session on Saturday, 30 min last night. 2)I forgot to do my push-ups this morning. Will make this happen today. M1-egg/banana/sausage scramble. This is very filling. I had it yesterday, too, and ended up not eating again until dinner. M2-TBD. Probably some broth and a salad M3-Orange chicken. Going to try a new recipe. Planning to ride my bike to the farmer's market today. I need vegetables. I also need to start thinking ahead to my mini-vacay at the end of the week. I'm not sure how I'm going to get in my wake-and-walk or my daily yoga. I'll be a guest in a friend's condo, so I can't exactly ask for a key in order to get up and go for a walk at the crack of dawn. Maybe I can walk in the condo or up and down the hallway, but I'm not sure of the layout. Or maybe I could just explain my morning routine and ask if they want me to leave the door unlocked...or maybe they'll have a better solution. That seems to be the thing to do. Just ask. Yoga, I can do 10 minutes in bed before going to sleep. Food is going to be another issue entirely. I'll just have to check out menus ahead when I can, and focus on eating meat and vegetables, sans sauces. I've had a number of occasions crop up during this round. it's tough to do a W30 with travel, extended family, friends, etc. I wish I had started when I originally planned, back in April, so that I would have had 30+ solid days with no obstacles. The pandemic has created an ideal bubble for W30. At the same time, this is life starting to come back and I have lots of activities and things outside the home that I typically do, so it's good to be able to try them with lots of home days still in-between. My 50th birthday is next month, and I'm definitely going to want to celebrate that, with at least champagne if not cake! Maybe this is why I've traditionally done W30s in September...not so many challenges once autumn hits! I'm beginning to think about relaxing my standards for later this week, but that's not the thing to do. I should go into vacation expecting to stick to W30, document if I do have something off-plan, and then add days to my 60, if needed. Even if I do have to add 30 more days, I would be done in plenty of time for my birthday. Unlike previous rounds, I'm very interested in doing a genuine reintroduction this time, especially since I'm beginning to discover how nightshades seem to be impacting me. I have two different competing but not mutually-exclusive views-1) In the grand scheme of things I'm much healthier and in control, even if I do occasionally go off-plan 2) If I want to be able to go off-plan occasionally and get back on-plan quickly and in a much healthier way than I have previously, I need to fully understand my body's reactions to foods which requires strict adherence to W30 and reintroduction. I vacillate between these two views. I can't allow myself to be complacent or fooled by my current sense of control - that control is sand in my fingers.
  27. Contessa

Contessa's Food Freedom

Food freedom thoughts, 7/13/20: A good week of eating last week. Like last week, it didn't feel like a "perfect" Whole 30 week, but it felt... enjoyable and sustainable. Mentally, I'm struggling a bit with the concept of subbing in delicious but nutrient-poor foods for the slightly less-delicious, nutrient-dense foods of the Whole 30. That white flour burger bun enclosing my turkey burger? It isn't as nutritious as, say, the diced sweet potato or the lettuce leaves I may have enjoyed in its place before. How am I with that? Is the white flour burger bun so enjoyable that I have to have it? I tell you, it feels good to eat very nutrient-dense foods for 3 meals/day. I did enjoy some "treats" over the past week, and they were delightful. It was a fun new experiment to think ahead about treats, and to allow a treat to be a treat. To not lose an entire day to an unbroken parade of treats. I really enjoyed the treat experiment. I enjoyed big fluffy coffees in the morning with real cream, but only twice over the course of a week. I did have a delicious chocolate chip cookie, but only one time after dinner. (It was good, but still not as delicious as chocolate chip cookies of my memory! Interesting.) My main goal for last week was to stay checked in with myself throughout the week. Staying checked in with myself is an ongoing aspiration. I know on a physical and mental and emotional level how it feels to stay checked in with myself. The knowledge has been hard won. Over the years, I have accumulated deep experience in hitting the "eject" button from difficult situations, and eating self-destructively in an effort to escape the most frustrating aspects of my reality. I don't want to do that anymore. Repeatedly hitting the eject button over many previous years has relieved the frustration of the moment — but only by swapping one type of frustration for another. The frustration with my coworker's ineptitude, for example, is replaced by irritation toward myself for eating too much. I have had this self-punishing experience more times in decades past than I can count. This week, I absolutely felt that familiar wish to hit the eject button, but I didn't hit the button. I did pause to notice what I was thinking and feeling. I did stop and talk kindly to myself. I did write in my journal: "I refuse to punish myself for how stupid the world is." (Ha!) Cheers for coping strategies. Cheers for uncoupling the emotional response from the food behavior. Years ago, a writer friend taped a quote from Clarissa Pinkola Estes to the wall of her writing room: "I love my creative life more than I love cooperating with my own oppression." "Cooperating with my own oppression" — who among us doesn't understand what that feels like? Another quote from the fierce Carolyn Myss: "You cannot change anything in your life with intention alone, which can become a watered-down, occasional hope that you'll get to tomorrow. Intention without Action is useless." Yep. Praise the Lord and pass the ghee, that's the truth. Goals for this week: Eat 3 meals a day with no snacks Continue to enjoy Whole 30 meals throughout the week Stay checked in with myself!
  28. ChristyR

July Whole30

Day 7: Cashews, dates, coffee w nutpods Salad w lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, no dressing Dried mango Cauliflower rice w eggs and spinach, avocado on the side Small banana, blueberries, strawberries I've decided dried fruit is a food without brakes for me. No more dried fruit.
  29. SunBrother115

Was hoping for more, I guess

Personally, I would keep going if you think it's sustainable for you. While you may not have noticed any immediate benefits - that doesn't mean you're not receiving any benefits. Everyone is different and has different things happen in their body. I would personally keep it going to a Whole60 (again if you think it is sustainable for you). Even then if you don't notice anything, it's a better way to eat than to ingest harmful processed garbage. I wish you all the best!
  1. Load more activity