All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Puzzler

Hello! November 11 start

I just wanted to say hello! I’ve been testing out a modified Whole30 for a few weeks and reading the forum. Ready to do the full program now. Spent the day prepping for a successful week, and thought I would end the day by browsing here and saying Hello!
  3. mae tanner

frequency of sausage

@lynnedn, you could even make your own! https://40aprons.com/easy-whole30-breakfast-sausage-paleo/ yum:) best, ~mae
  4. Today
  5. Yesterday
  6. Throughout the reintroduction, the only non-compliant foods you should be eating are the ones that you're testing that day. You may not experience any immediate reactions that you can see during your "recovery" period before starting a new test, but that doesn't mean that continued exposure won't cause an issue... and if you experience any issues, you need to be able to point out exactly what's likely causing it, not be left wondering if it was the newly reintroduced food or one you continued eating. The only exception to that is generally the added sugar. I personally wouldn't go overboard adding sugar to everything myself, but when it comes to sugars in things I'm reintroducing (or a small amount in a recipe I'm using for reintroduction), that's completely fine. Once we begin to reintroduce foods, it can be difficult to stick to the no added sugars rule anyway, by virtue of added sugar being in so much of what we want to test. I would separate the wine and beer since you're dealing with two different types of alcohol there. I separated just about all of my own foods for reintroduction, though, because I wanted to know (for instance) if certain beans affect me more heavily than some or if quinoa would be better/worse compared to rice. I feel like detailed knowledge is a good thing when it comes to determining what should and shouldn't be part of my everyday diet.
  7. Yepa

What is causing bloating?

I noticed some bloating also when I added some cheese into my meals the other day. Will definitely be looking a lot closer at the dairy category going forward.
  8. Hi All, I just completed the whole30, woo hoo! I did the Whole30 because I am Celiac and even with eliminating gluten, I have been having a lot of digestive issues and bloating. I now feel amazing and am ready to start the reintroduction period. I was looking at the fast-track reintroduction period, and it shows that I am supposed to reintroduce each category back one at a time (legumes, diary, gf grains, etc.). Since I am doing this to find out what specifically bothers me, do I need to break out the foods within those categories as well? If I just do legumes all in one day, how will I know if soy or beans are the culprit? Do I need separate days for wine and beer? I just want to make sure I use this to really figure out what bothers me. Suggestions? I was looking at something like this for the reintro schedule: Day 1: Added sugar (cane sugar in coffee, honey with sweet tea or drizzled on a sweet potato, salmon glazed with maple syrup, maple chicken sausage, honey ham) Day 3: Soy Day 6: Legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, peanuts) Day 9: Corn Day 12: Non-gluten Grains (rice, gf bread, oats, quinoa) Day 15: Dairy (butter, yogurt, cheese, kefir, milk) Day 18: Gluten-free Alcohol (red/white wine, gf beer, 100% agave tequila, potato vodka) Day 21: Eggs Day 24: Nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, white potatoes Some other questions I have are: If I find out that a category does not bother me, can I continue eating it during reintroduction? Do I have to worry about added sugar during the Whole30 compliant days? Thanks, Jessica
  9. ShannonM816

Sushi

You'd need to confirm what was used in the naruto roll, but if it's all fresh vegetables and fresh fish, you should be fine. Watch for anything that uses crab, and ask to be sure it's fresh, not imitation. You'll probably have to skip the wasabi paste and pickled ginger, those usually have non-whole30 ingredients.
  10. tennis13

Sushi

Can I have sushi (not the rice obviously) but like sushi in a naruto roll or sashimi and dip in coconut aminos?
  11. ShannonM816

frequency of sausage

Sure.
  12. Kitten palooza! Congratulations! That's how Squeaky got his name- he squeaked (a lot- can't blame him since he was only a day old) and we couldn't think of anything else. Can you tell if they're boys or girls yet? I never did read Watership Down. I like Hazel but, you're right, Fiver feels a little tongue twister-ish but you'd probably get used to it and it's pretty cool that their personalities seem to fit the names, too. My dad was king of naming pets- always something unusual but fitting and clever. I haven't been having a bread party but I've sure had a popcorn party. No adverse effects and I hope yours subside soon. Hominy isn't big in Louisiana so I hadn't eaten it until a couple of years ago in a roasted vegetable "stew" that Sean Brock made for the annual Food Summit here and I just couldn't get enough of it. I loved the taste and the texture. I was hoping the recipe would be in his cookbook but it wasn't. I haven't checked out his newest one yet, though. I didn't get around to as much of a cook-up as I hoped but I did OK. I made a mustard chicken with kale that was really good and I did individual breakfast "quiches" for my breakfasts with some gorgeous kohlrabi and kale. I also have a real treat for two lunches this week- tabbouleh! I got a couple of beautiful bunches of parsley at the farmer's market and I had some cherry tomatoes leftover from my mustard chicken dish so tabbouleh and salmon cakes for lunch. I rescued my kombucha by adding a bunch of elderberry to it so it's tasty but I'm sad that I wasted that precious grape juice. I have a sirloin tip roast that I need to do something with and I was going to treat it like a pot roast but, after doing some research, that might not be the best treatment for that cut. I've never cooked one but it was on sale... It was a beautiful weekend and we got to spend some time out on the deck yesterday mostly cleaning up giant piles of leaves but just hanging out for a bit, too. Now it's time to pay for 70 degree weather in November- rain turning to snow tonight and it's going to be 20 by tomorrow morning. We haven't tested the all wheel drive capability of the new car yet and I'm a bit apprehensive. Any Thanksgiving plans? We got invited over to some friends' house so that will be nice. They've got the proteins coveredand everything else is potluck so I just need to decide what sides or snacks to bring. I know my husband will want pecan pie so I might do that so he can get his pie fix there and I don't wind up with a whole pecan pie staring me in the face. Happy kitten-ing!
  13. go, guy!! it's totally worth the run...how are you feeling about the reintroduction process? any new questions or issues to address? let us know how we can help! best, ~mae
  14. mae tanner

Hiatal hernia, mild vent

Oh, so not fun, @Murphsmom! Let us know how you fare & keep us posted on your progress! Dealing with a chronic issue is never fun! best, ~mae
  15. mae tanner

Bad cough

Hi, @Trina75! While I am not a doctor or a medical professional, there are some ways to help alleviate your discomfort. I've used these myself, whether on round or not, and they do bring some relief: *try a neti pot to relieve congestion and post-nasal drip that can exacerbate coughs & discomfort *make a gargle using 8 oz warm water with 1/2 tsp sea salt dissolved in it OR brew an unsweetened raspberry leaf or hibiscus tea, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and allow to cool to warm or room temperature...gargle a few times a day with either or both to help soothe throat irritation *drink a little aloe vera juice to coat your throat and promote healing (be sure to read labels, of course:)); different brands vary on serving size, but the label on the bottle will help steer you as to how much--usually a couple of tablespoons will do. *rub a little metholated salve under your nose (not in!) or on your chest to help soothe irritation and break up congestion. I usually use deep blue because I like the smell and feel of it better than a commercial vapor rub...any blend of menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor will do *run a essential oil diffuser (if you have one) in your home and/or workspace. Healing oils such as eucalyptus, frankincense, thyme, cinnamon, oregano oil, or blends that promote clear breathing are helpful *a humidifer itself will moisten air and make the breathing easier on an irritated throat or cough-bothered system * you could make a "tent" to breathe in warm steam (with oils or not): get a hand towel and drape over your head, pour boiling water into a bowl (add any of the above oils to aid in soothing/healing), rest your elbows on the table around the bowl, lean your head over the bowl, and pull the towel over the rising steam to capture the moisture. Take long, deep breaths to pull the humid air in *warm compress: my grandmother used to get a warm-to-hot washcloth, put a little mentholatum in the cloth, and lay it over our throats or chest to bring relief *I've used a throat spray from Gaia herbs...the remedy is an alcohol-based botanical extract, much like vanilla extract or lavender, which is allowed on the program. Check it out here: https://www.gaiaherbs.com/products/sage-aloe-throat-spray It's really nice! *and, as always, get plenty of sleep and try to keep stressors low (I know, easier said than done!) Please, please take good care of yourself--and try to be kind to your heart and mind if you feel that you need to go off-plan when you are ill. A Whole30 is one way to care for oneself, of course, and meeting your needs when you are sick is another essential way. If those two things coincide, wonderful. If they do not, still wonderful, and there will be another day to start up again if you feel that that is what you need and want to do. Best of everything, ~mae
  16. G'morning on Monday! How are you doing Miss Holly? Did you get your kombucha fixed? What's cooking at your place? It's kitten palooza over here since Friday afternoon. They are gradually taking over the house and allaying my fears about socialization. The fluffy one is more social, more willing to forge the way of exploration, and the short haired one is a bit shy, hence my concern...but in just a few days, I can see they are both going to be very friendly sorts. Yesterday I learned that I have to keep the play sessions a bit shorter - I was wearing them out. It took a couple of days before they were vocalizing, and Hubs is calling them Squeaky, like yours, isn't that funny?! The other names we like are Fiver and Hazel. DId you ever read Watership Down? Fiver is the runt of the (rabbit) litter, and has special extra-sensory gifts. Hazel is the first to trust Fiver's instincts, and becomes the leader of the group on their oddysey. And since our little fluff-ball seems to be the runt, smaller, less agile, and resembles a rabbit....also the short haired one, Hazel, is super athletic and leads the charge. The names work in the book really well, and seem to fit these cats, but the names don't roll off the tongue so well...so then there is always Fluffy and Jumper, or Fluffy and Peaches. We're trying it out. Ha ha. Meanwhile, the vet has their names as I have an appointment tomorrow, so we'll see how it sounds and feels. "Meanwhile"...I got a wake up call. The bread party is over, it seems. I woke up with a sore throat on Saturday, and after a while realized it is my impeccable ally, the allergy related sore throat that abated on W30. Yep, time to dial it down, and later maybe I can enjoy bread again on an occasional basis. Sure is addictive I am realizing now. So with that, I realized it was time to get cooking. So yesterday in between kitten play, I made a pot of Peruvian bean soup with chili lime seasoning. I'm about to have some for breakfast so we will see if it's any good. I am also polishing off some delicious Chicken Posole that a friend sent me home with after a baby shower on Saturday. The hominy might not be the most gut healing, but man, this soup is made with love. My friends are adopting their grandbaby, and the foster parents are Mexican Americans who have become good friends, and will be God Parents, and she made a gigantic batch of Polsole for the shower...it was very moving to see the baby with her well-integrated, big, loving extended family, and so I am associating all that with the soup! Zucchini is at the ready for MJ's gingered soup, and also the Bon Appetit recipe for curried lentil, tomato, and coconut soup. I'll stick to the recipe, but I have a feeling it will be easy to add more vegetables to it, and experiment a bit. Have a good week!
  17. PATreeTrimmer

pre-/post-Whole30

First, I feel a lot better after the Whole30. My wife and I did it together and the support structure was very much needed, especially during the first few days when the sugar buzz was gone. My clothes fit much better and a few pieces too loose! My weight went from 274 to 255 lbs., and my BMI from 35.1 to 32.7. While still too high, I feel confident that I have some control over my weight and will work to continue this trend through diet and exercise. My blood pressure (medicated) has went down as well. That's a bit trickier as I'm also studying tai chi.
  18. kirbz

Kirbz's Whole30 Log

ROUND 4, Day 14: Sunday, November 10 Meal 1: pouch of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food; small handful of homemade plantain chips Exercise (3 hours, 11 minutes): 6.78-mile backpacking hike with 620 feet of elevation gain (112 average HR; 162 max HR) Post-Workout Snack: can of coconut water Meal 2: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; three slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice Exercise (1 hour, 3 minutes): mild vinyasa yoga (75 average HR; 95 max HR) Meal 3: grilled chicken thighs with BBQ sauce; can of sliced potatoes cooked in duck fat; head of steamed broccolini; mango kombucha Water Intake: ~100 oz Steps: 22,196 Symptoms/NSVs: fatigued legs headache in the evening Thoughts/Reflections: The hike out was tough, as it always is. My legs were feeling quite tired. But it was so lovely. I loved going with so many other like-minded women. They were so nice to get to know and I’m so grateful I had another distraction to take up my weekend. I did take a nap today and it felt wonderful, though not particularly satisfying. I still felt tired and groggy. But I went to yoga and it felt so good for my body. I needed the deep stretching. And that’s about it. I continue to fill my evening with watching tv and I continue to want to stop that practice and transition to more reading. But, I’m still trying to be gentle with myself and honoring my feelings and needs right now. It's still been less than a month and I desperately wish my little Inka. We both do. But I’m trying.
  19. lynnedn

frequency of sausage

Can I have approved sausage everyday for breakfast?
  20. Coffeelover99

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

Day 12 – Friday 11/8 – Meal 1 was leftover grilled chicken and kale salad with tessame ceasar dressing, sunflower seeds, carrots and olives. Meal 2 was finally the last zuppa toscana. Meal 3 was the best, pot roast with potatoes, carrots, a little chicken broth and herbs in the instapot. This was only my 3rd time using it, but it turned out perfectly. I went to the store to restock on veggies, fruit and meat. Day 13 – Saturday 11/9 – Meal 1 was 2 eggs over easy with sweet potato hash browns cooked in coconut oil with some green onion. Meal 2 was leftover pot roast, potatoes and carrots. Meal 3 was grilled sausage and green salad. This was the first day I felt a little off and had cravings. Between meals 2 and 2 I snacked on leftover hash browns, pot roast, a chomp stick, and a cashew cookie lara bar. I was tired too and napped late in the day which threw me off. Day 14 – Sunday 11/10 – Meal 1 Breakfast – 3 scrambled eggs with half an avocado. Meal 2 was leftover grilled sausage and sautéed kale. Meal 3 was the last of the leftover pot roast, potatoes and carrots. No snacks today and I don’t feel any of the snackiness and cravings I experienced yesterday, so I’m back on track. Energy was high too, I had a great work out at the gym and spent a good portion of the day in the yard cleaning up leaves. For the week, I prepped chicken burrito bowls, made a batch of zucchini mint soup with the last of this years’ garden, and portioned out meals to take to work for the week.
  21. Lauri1229

Bad cough

Pineapple juice is also a cough suppressant!
  22. kirbz

Kirbz's Whole30 Log

ROUND 4, Day 13: Saturday, November 9 Meal 1: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; one and a half slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice Exercise (5 hours, 26 minutes): 8.74-mile backpacking hike with 1,654 feet of elevation gain (126 average HR; 191 max HR) Intra-Workout Meal 2: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement Meal 3: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement Movement (1 hour, 15 minutes): hike to the other end of Lake Aloha (relatively flat but rough-ish trail terrain) Meal 4: Elements Broccoli Cinnamon Pork freeze-dried meal with butternut squash and egg whites; pouch of sweet potato and beet baby food Snack: Gaia Herbs Liver Cleanse tea before bed (mostly because it was really cold) Water Intake: ~120 oz Steps: 30,198 Symptoms/NSVs: higher-than-expected heart rate (the hike wasn’t that hard; it shouldn’t have been that high) fatigued legs Thoughts/Reflections: I had four ladies join me on a backpacking trip this weekend and it was so lovely! I thoroughly enjoy the company of women and am so grateful I’ve been able to do this type of adventuring the last two weekends. I dragged a bit more than last weekend. I definitely had a heavier pack so it could have been that. But it was also an easier hike. It wasn’t awful. But my legs were definitely more easily fatigued. As a final note, I need to figure out something else to eat in the backcountry. These freeze-dried meals are awful and are really starting to all taste the same. I cannot eat the full meal because my gag reflex really starts going after about two thirds of the way through the bag. I’m going to have to start experimenting with some light backcountry cooking.
  23. kirbz

Kirbz's Whole30 Log

ROUND 4, Day 12: Friday, November 8 Meal 1: four eggs scrambled in leftover bacon fat with a splash of coconut milk, salt, and pepper; two slices of bacon; whole sliced cucumber Movement (40 minutes): neighborhood walk with the pup (flat trail terrain) Meal 2: five grilled chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce and seasoning; one small zucchini and summer squash sautéed in avocado oil with seasoning; ¾ avocado Movement (25 minutes): neighborhood walk with the pup (flat trail terrain) Meal 3: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; large baked potato with ghee and salt; handful of grape tomatoes; watermelon kombucha Water Intake: ~80 oz Steps: 15,010 Symptoms/NSVs: none Thoughts/Reflections: Just another day… I’m excited for another ladies backpacking trip tomorrow!
  24. Last week
  25. Murphsmom

Murphsmom's Log

Day 10 My son ate my last salmon cake from last night.. for breakfast!!!! LOL.. Today was a meal prep day so I just made more, lol Breakfast eggs/spinach/mushrooms/tomato coffee.... allllllways coffee Lunch: piece of chicken in ghee (small piece) lemon chicken over cauliflower rice kalamata olives mid afternoon - salmon cake - fresh out of the oven Dinner: steak with pan roasted potatoes in ghee sliced cucumbers mixed fruit with coconut cream
  26. Jihanna

Primal Kitchen Teriyaki Sauce

My somewhat-educated (but not necessarily correct) guess on this one is that the "added sugars" probably comes from the dates, which undoubtedly were added for the purpose of making the finished product sweeter. It's possible that it's from the coconut aminos as well, which are being used in place of soy sauce (to keep the finished product soy-free), but it's most likely from the dates instead.
  27. ShannonM816

I'm not sure exactly what they have to label as added sugar for the nutrition information, it might be the coconut syrup or the dates. The requirements for how things are labeled are set by the FDA. For whole30 purposes, the number in the nutrition information doesn't matter, all that matters is the ingredients.
  28. ravo

Hi Shannon, Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused because all of their other whole30 items say "includes 0g of added sugar" even if there is natural sugar from fruits or vegetables. On this particular item it has a separate nutrition line to say "added sugar". This one says total 3g, added 2g. In the ingredient list could it be the coconut syrup?
  1. Load more activity