All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday
  3. meli22

Meli's log

Day 28 B - coffee w/ nut milk; 3 scrambled eggs; 1/4 large avocado; broccoli soup; sauerkraut L - vegetable soup w/ chicken + fresh mint; roasted acorn squash w/ green dressing S - broccoli soup D - baked sweet potato; beef liver; handful of big green olives; sauerkraut; cucumber slices kombucha for dessert
  4. Thank you for this. I finally gave it the time and attention it deserves just now -- a peaceful, rainy Sunday morning, just me and the cats while Hubby sleeps in. And it filled my cup. It conjured up a treasure trove of feelings and memories, and admiration for those amazing musicians, and their amazing instruments. much-needed. Riding the psychic resonance, I sent a link over the ethers to my brother, also a musician who loves the Allman Brothers Band, who I know will love it, too. Looking over my shoulder, the last month has gone so quickly. Now that the outgoing tech has passed the torch to the new one, and Monday will be her first day flying solo, it feels like another layer of "new era" and a good one in this case, if I may say so. Hubs reassures me that it will be safe to take a mid-week day off for house-urgencies like getting the sprinklers fine-tuned before the warm weather comes -- 77 is a high this week, and I fear today may very well be the last of the rain. This - knowing it will be safe to take a day off- gives me some peace. We lost one of the redwood trees (the smallest of them all, it stood apart from the rest at the base of our driveway, and was taken down on Fri), and I am determined not to ever ever ever let that happen again. It is heartbreaking, but is strangely dwarfed by all the other concerns....still, never again...never. You asked about the barn cats...I thought of you because I will need straw to line the 2 homemade cat beds I'm going to make out of plastic storage tubs - the kind with a snapping lid. We are going to order thermal pads to go on top of the straw...and I have to figure out where I can buy a little - or maybe make a deal with a local rancher type...I think if I ask around that won't be too hard, but I'm guessing to buy some retail will be a much larger quantity than I need. So I think that by the time the thermal pads arrive I will have everything else we need, and we'll see what more will be revealed when I call the shelter...so, we're still in our process...for a while I was hearing mice in the walls, but not lately, strangely enough. Bit by bit I am getting home things done! Yesterday after work, we were lost without the Mexican place, and learned that the pizza place on the other side of us (which we have only patronized a handful of times in 7 yrs), has a decent sandwich menu for hubs, and for me, a cauli crust pizza. I ordered it with all the veg they had, marinara only, and chicken. It was pretty bland, but better than the alternatives. My off-roading with occasional bread is "party over" because my knees are very stiff. So it's back on the path for me. In parallel-reality closet-debacle news: After the left side bolted-in closet shelving collapsed a few months ago, we crammed everything into the other side, and the new stainless steel stand-alone unit, that matches the one we put in on the right a couple years ago, has been in its box leaning against a bedroom wall, leering at me for weeks. When we got home yesterday, I felt tired, angry at my husband, and the grief we are all feeling, and attacked the closet with all of that. I spackled the holes, assembled the new unit, and let the spackle dry over-night. As soon as I finish this post, I will sand the spackling, paint it, and let it dry for several hours while I go to clean the store. I am looking to finishing the day by vacuuming the upstairs, re-arranging our "new" closet, and then taking a bath before bed. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! The pharmacy has been busy as ever, but since there are few visitors in town (some have come to shelter in vaca rentals and 2nd homes) I have comforted myself by sweeping and dust mopping a lot, and mopping for maintenance way more than I usually have time for, so it's tempting not to clean today, but at the very least it will be a good work out. Sending peace, love, and understanding to your end of our great continent - keep being awesome! And what are you cooking?
  5. Last week
  6. meli22

Meli's log

Day 27 B - 2 x coffee w/ nut milk; carrot soup; roast chicken; cucumber L - sautéed savoy cabbage, green beans & eggplant w/ 1/4 large avocado; 3 hardboiled eggs w/ mustard, parsley, scallions, capers, kalamata olives; sauerkraut D - roasted acorn squash w/ green dressing; 1/2 beef liver; broccoli soup
  7. LilliMarlene

March 1 Start Date!

Hey AllyB! Im doing fine over here, but the really bad cravings sat in last night and is still going on! Sooo craving sugar and bread! I have more time for cooking so I am not prepping any big batches.. Lockdown in progress so cant do much but sit at home..
  8. meli22

Meli's log

Day 26 B - coffee w/ nut milk; carrot-coconut soup; cold roast chicken; sauerkraut L - zucchini noodles w/ cold roast chicken, compliant tomato sauce, Moroccan olives & 1 hardboiled egg; sauerkraut; squash soup afternoon coffee w/ nut milk D - vegetable soup w/ chicken; zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce, roasted eggplant, parsley, scallions & Moroccan olives; cucumber Time is flying! Can't believe it's been almost 30 days. The last week has been very stressful, with everything that's been going on in the world as well as major life changes, but I'm proud of sticking to the plan regardless. Despite not sleeping well, my energy has been good. I've had no desire to do any emotional eating, which is amazing given it's such a deeply-ingrained stress response for me. I also find that when I stick to 3 meals a day I get to anticipate my next meal, and it becomes more of a pleasurable event. I prefer this to grazing. For a long time the thought of limiting myself to 3 meals a day triggered a fear/scarcity response in me which would lead me to binge. Now I've learned that if I reassure myself that I can always eat more, I relax, and this has been so helpful in regaining my hunger / fullness cues. Having gone on my first diet at age 8 I'd been dieting, or in a binge/restrict cycle, for 30 years. This is the first time I feel like I'm eating in a more balanced, healthy way. I'm still restricting foods but I'm not restricting portion sizes and this is at least a step forward for me. Another change I'm noticing is that my desire to lose weight has sort of fallen away. I will not be stepping on a scale at the end of my whole30. The number on the scale is irrelevant because I feel so much better. Not to mention that it's a number that tends to fluctuate a lot anyways and that's normal and healthy. That leads me to ask myself what is more important: being as thin as I can possibly be or feeling healthy? About 8 years ago I was able to reach my desired weight through intense food restriction and exercise and, looking back on it, not only was I unhappy at that time but I was also depleting my body of nourishment, which set me up for some health issues down the road. I'm finally starting to feel better now, almost a decade later. A definite NSV. Should also note: the only things I'm really excited to re-introduce are BEANS and LENTILS! I can't wait to eat beans again
  9. meli22

Birdie's 1st WHOLE 30 - MARCH 16-20

Love these ideas, especially the after dinner cordial!
  10. Birdie7117

Birdie's 1st WHOLE 30 - MARCH 16-20

FAVORITE THINGS SO FAR ORANGE SLICES IN WATER glass // + KEEPING CHILLED FRESH ORANGE QUARTERS to snack on Half Sweet Potato mashed with caramel pod cream for breakfast // (Not an egg person) KEEPING ON HAND Chiled CUCUMBER SLICES IN VINEGAR (peeled) as a side for veggies like green beans & tomatoes / squash / spring onions PUBLIX GREENWISE BACON / FRESH MARKET 0 SUGAR UNCURED BACON Avocado - lime juice - cilantro // tomatoes Oranges / tomatoes / squash / canned green beans / potatoes _____________________________________________________________________ Small indiscetions - Makes me happy & keeps me going! Small Spoonful of 0 Sugar fig spread w/ breakfast bacon & cup of coffee w/ caramel pod cream - Morning Happiness! After dinner small cordial of half coconut water & half grape juice -
  11. I heard this twice yesterday so I figured it was my message from the universe so i thought I'd share it with you. I'm glad I listened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5NPN3NF0rM Soulshine The Allman Brothers Band When you can't find the light That got you through the cloudy days When the stars ain't shinin' bright You feel like you've lost you're way When the candlelight of home Burns so very far away Well, you got to let your soul shine Just like my daddy used to say He used to say soulshine It's better than sunshine It's better than moonshine Damn sure better than rain Hey, now people don't mind We all feel this way sometimes You gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day I grew up thinkin' I had it made Gonna make it on my own Life can take the strongest man Make him feel so alone Now sometimes I feel a cold wind Blowin' through my achin' bones I think back to what my daddy said He said "boy, in this darkness before the dawn" Let your soul shine It's better than sunshine It's better than moonshine Damn sure better than rain Yeah, now people don't mind We all get this way sometimes You've got to let your soul shine, shine till the break of day Sometimes a man can feel this emptiness Like a woman has robbed him of his very soul A woman too, God knows, she can feel like this And when your world seems cold, you got to let your spirit take control Let your soul shine It's better than sunshine It's better than moonshine Damn sure better than rain Lord now people don't mind We all feel this way sometimes Gotta let your soul shine, shine till the break of day Oh, it's better than sunshine It's better than moonshine Damn sure better than rain Yeah, now people don't mind We all feel this way sometimes You've got to let your soul shine, shine till the break of day Songwriters: Warren Haynes
  12. DAY 27 Last night, a big bowl of the vinegar slaw. Red cabbage, small amount of green onions, a dash of cayenne. After sitting in the vinegar for two days, it was getting like a mild sauerkraut. Very delicious. Had that and a chicken soup made with chicken wings seared with seasoning and lots of leeks and potatoes in the soup. Incredible. After dinner, ate a couple apples and felt like I was cheating my ass off. Today, the 27th, a perch fillet with rucola (I'm forgetting how to spell this in English). Very satisfying. The idea of damaging my health as a form of entertainment is becoming a bit bizarre. Like, what the fuck, you crack head.
  13. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! Waah. Here's to Fred. And his Butter Chicken. And sharing it with your mother. I wept in the car today on my way to town hearing a radio tribute to Terrance McNally, the playwright who just died, too, though I did not know him, just loved his work. So much loss. Please be careful...I'm so glad you are just going back and forth to work, not taking any chances. I read there's a lot of illness in NO, and that made me think of you, and people you might still know there. One day at a time, right? I don't know how to post anything beyond a photo on IG, but I will play with it and see if I can figure it out and be of any help on that front...some people post nothing but sayings and memes, so between the 2 of us, I am sure we can figure it out. Now you have me leaning in for your poem! I like your vision of the new normal. I don't want to jinx anything - not that I am particularly superstitious, but I am encouraged that we're not seeing super bad behavior such as looting and related offenses, so far. I'm glad you liked my photos = ) I haven't posted anything to IG in a very long time - not sure why - just busy I guess. I'm trying to think of a new username to "anonymously" join the silver sisters, which look like a super supportive community for women like me who are letting the gray flag fly as you cleverly said! Selfies are NOT a specialty of mine, HA but I think I'd like to have a record of the grow out. So far all my name ideas are taken. Still noodling on it. Probably Libbie something for consistency. Long, stressful days lately, and sleeping as if I'm on a sleep aid. I sometimes stay up after dinner to cook and when I'm done there's only 15 minutes before bed time which is a huge drag, but then pays off later. Like right now! Two nights ago I stayed up and made a double batch of my beloved chicken apple sliders with sunrise spice. Yum. Lately I'm feeling good by having coffee and a cliff bar for M1 (started doing that in desperation when running late but liked the way it felt after all), and then decent W30 meals for lunch and dinner. I've lightened up my eating a lot this week, and it feels good. I know it's not this black and white, but I keep thinking that I don't want to be that person who stress eats through this whole crisis, which might last a long time after all, rather, I'd rather be that person who loses weight during the stress - but not by starvation. I'm just thinking out loud here, and very brain-tired, but there it is. The good news is that our new employee is doing great and I think it is a good fit, and she will be great! Whew! I got some unsettling news from my bro about their youngest, age 6, and it's ironic b/c I called him for some emotional support when I had a melt down during my weekly shopping (it passed!), so we were very cheerful today! There might be a serious mental health diagnosis on the horizon. I hope at least that they can learn what it is in order to know how to get their arms around it moving forward. I think it's going to be a long road no matter what. Did you say your farmer's market is open? Our local organic farm stand is self serve, and I need to get out there and support them and get the good stuff. Meanwhile, I'm in danger of getting tired of that veg soup...what are your favorite soups? Happy Friday!
  14. meli22

Meli's log

Day 25 B - coffee w/ nut milk; chicken soup w/ drizzle of sesame oil L - carrot soup; 3 hardboiled eggs w/ mayo, parsley, scallions, cucumber, kalamata olives; sauerkraut D - chicken thigh w/ skin; zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce & Moroccan olives; cucumber
  15. Crastney

"Sugar" Reintroduction

having done Whole30 you should realise that your body doesn't need sugar, and also you probably won't want sugar either, but if you want to reintroduce it, go ahead, but do it in much smaller amounts than you were used to before. Beware, it can be a slippery slope back into 'unhealthy' eating.
  16. Post-breakfast, Day 26 Woo fucking Hoo. I'm doing this thing. Just ate a HUGE breakfast. Left-over green salad with beets (fresh not canned, cooked and then put in the fridge); a few walnuts, endive, radicchio, arugula, and lettuce from a beautiful head we got at the organic market. Olive oil and a good balsamic on it, lightly dressed. Then, sauteed mushrooms, two kinds, cooked in olive oil with zucchini and two eggs, soft yolks, steamed on top of the zuch's and 'shrooms. Huge, delicious, and satisfying. Last night, really good brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli, and the salad above. Couldn't choke it all down. Left a good deal of it, and ate in about 15 minutes. Later in the evening, fresh coconut dug out of the shell, and some strawberries plain with nothing on them. Felt like I was cheating. Still not much or any weight loss that I can see. Perhaps some fat around my kidney area has melted off. Gut is still a bit paunchy. Who knows, but I 'd guess 2-3 lbs weight loss at this point. One theory that hasn't panned out is that foot fungus--athlete's foot--is maintained or worsened by sugar in the diet. Well, it's still there and quite bad. Have to use vinegar and acid water to keep it at bay. The biggest shift is my mind is calmer, I'm more present, and I attend to things with less emotional static and unnecessary drama. Simple things. I had some soup bones that went bad, so I put them in the freezer. Today I got them out in the 'humido" or organic waste bin. Not a big deal, but easy to forget and those sorts of details are popping into my mind more easily.
  17. Beau28

Question on supplements

Thank you very much
  18. MJ of Cayman

Whole 30 for Lent

Now on Day 32. A different approach to this challenge now. My husband was working outside of the US for the past 7 weeks. Immigration made him return to the US. Now he his home and I’m left to satisfy his appetite as well as keep my Whole 30 for Lent going. I made him a pot of homemade whole milk yogurt. He eats corn chips and salsa in front of me, and cheese is back in the house. That’s tough. I’m hanging in there, though. In return he’s getting me out of the house walking the dog in the Park together. I’ve been too much of a homebody. Still no tiger blood.
  19. meli22

Meli's log

Day 24 B - 2 x coffee w/ nut milk; chicken soup w/ 1/2 avocado; cucumber; sauerkraut L - coconut-squash soup; sautéed savoy cabbage & green beans w/ ground beef; sauerkraut S - carrot soup D - sardines w/ mayo, scallions, parsley, celery, cucumber, kalamata olives; molokhia; sauerkraut cup of almond milk w/ turmeric & cinnamon
  20. I think we'll have to wait and see what the new normal is. In my head it's a place where everyone is kinder, gentler, less selfish and more tolerant. Can we just go with that? So, what was the barn kitty decision? That pic of Fiver and Hazel was so cute! I was awake early and the house was dark and I opened up IG and was greeted by cuteness! And a double rainbow! We've had all of the rain and none of the bows but it's actually going to give us a break for a couple of days with nice temperatures, too, before it goes back to rain. I was going to post a poem I came across but realized I don't know how. Doh! I'm such a dork! Are things still crazy at the store? I haven't been anywhere except to work and back so I'm not sure what grocery shelves and such look like right now. I'll need gas tomorrow so I'll probably run into Costco after I finish pumping gas. Except for one big bag of broccoli, I've made a pretty good dent in most of our produce. Sunday was much like Saturday and I cooked myself to a frazzle. I guess with all of this happening all over the world, my cooking mind/spirit went all over the world, too. I made some harissa and two different kinds of kimchi! I've had those on my to-do list for ever and I was worried that the daikons had gone bad but they were fine. I cleared some room in my fridge and in my brain now that it's not hanging over my head any more. All of my ferments are bubbling all over the place right now. Thankfully I had put the jars on a sheet pan so the mess is contained. I'm recovering from a bout of stomach weirdness/upset/pain/distress from yesterday. I'm not sure what happened but I'm glad it's backing down. I ate a stuffed baked potato for dinner Monday night. Was it the dairy? The potato? I have no idea but I'm going to be very careful about what I eat. So, no movement, not very good sleep and I'm feeling blown up like a balloon! I know I told you about making Butter Chicken with my Mom on one of her visits but I don't remember if I cited the source of my recipe. The chef's name was Floyd Cardoz and I found out this morning that he just passed away from covid. He was so talented and such a kind soul. It's such a loss. I know many people have died and many more will but he's the first person that I know. I will have to make Butter Chicken in his memory soon.
  21. calonte

Day 1 - COVID-19 working from home

I'm starting today - I've been doing way too much emotional eating and need to reset!
  22. crkohring

Day 1 - COVID-19 working from home

I'm a few days behind you but I'm starting today! This will give me something to focus on and with all the free time I will be able to do a lot of cooking hopefully.
  23. kirbz

Make-ahead breakfasts on the go?

@Dankworth Here's the recipe for the Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/. It. Is. Delicious. I eat it almost every day for breakfast on Whole30.
  24. Jihanna

"Sugar" Reintroduction

Honestly, I reintroduced sugar based on what I typically used on a daily basis prior to my Whole30 round. So I tried some sugar in my morning coffee, honey in my afternoon tea, a bit of honey in a homemade vinaigrette, and a nighttime tea blend that had stevia leaf. If you're focusing on sugar itself, then be sure you're only adding some to an otherwise compliant food... and I'd suggest NOT doing it at the same level you might have before, because chances are that would be WAY too sweet now. (As an example, my pre-W30 sugar for coffee was 2 tsp per small mug, and my sugar reintro measure was 1/2 tsp in a small mug.) Some might have other thoughts, but my reasoning was that the most important reintroduction data would come from things that I'd be likely to use on a daily basis (or at least often), if they were an option -- hence doing honey but not powdered sugar (for instance).
  25. meli22

Meli's log

Day 23 B - 2 x coffee w/ nut milk; chicken soup w/ 1/2 avocado; cucumber; sauerkraut S - vegetable soup w/ drizzle of sesame eating L - carrot soup; sardines w/ mayo, parsley, celery, capers, kalamata olives, scallions D - 2 x bowls of vegetable stew w/ ground beef; molokhia
  26. SugarcubeOD

Day 28 - Depressed and Fat

YES! Our weight is ONE small factor in our overall health... it sounds like you're feeling much more stable and in control than you may have in the past and even than you may have if you'd been going through this pandemic without Whole30. That's amazing! You may also find that when you put weight in the background and focus on your mental and emotional health and the non scale victories, that any weight that you have to lose will find it's way away. Hold steady in this scary time!
  27. anneeo08

Day 28 - Depressed and Fat

hi Maria, i'm reading this a little late, but I am on a March (what a time to be not drinking or eating delicious toast!) and although it's for my health, (my mother has been sick and i've been eating my feelings like i haven't since high school) i really went on because i was crying every single day and depressed and needed to get my head straight. through this whole month of coronavirus and craziness when everyone says, Just have a drink, come into the bar (corona-spreading crae-crae gen Z people), or have a drink on this Zoom Happy Hour, here! i have bagels! all i can think is that i'm NOT depressed. I'm scared about Coronavirus, the economy, How bad the novel i'm writing might be, if i'm going to be kicked out of my sublet because all income had disappeared (i sell vintage clothes. not an essential sector, according to Cuomo.) and i can't pay rent but i'm not sad. I haven't cried other than when my aunt went into hospital. that said, i don't think i've lost a pound and my self image is entirely (insert emotionally abusive parents here) attached to my weight, and i don't think i've lost more than a pound and it's almost over. but i think the feeling healthy, eating these delicious radishes (radishes! i don't even like radishes but a nice CSA lady who i bought fresh eggs gave me them) with this anchovy mayo (just added dill and anchovies to the whole 30 recipe) and running and so what if i'm not thin if i'm not crying? anyway this wasn't to say anything but you have people out there who are with you. also, i'm doing a whole 60. because April seems like it's going to be worse. so see you there.
  28. IAmMamaBoo

"Sugar" Reintroduction

Prepping for the start of reintroduction and looking for input on which/what sugars to reintroduce. Not looking at eating a box of donuts or sweets, just really looking to get back to adding a little sugar to my morning coffee. Pre-Whole30 I was using Swerve and/or stevia extracts but not sure if those are the "best" types of sugars to reintroduce. Looking for advice on what others have done and would recommend. Thanks!
  1. Load more activity