All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Thanks, @BabyBear ~ I had a new Day 1 today ... let's see how far I can go this time. One day of derailment really doesn't have to turn into weeks or months. I like that I was able to correct the course today pretty effortlessly. I've had enough small wins over the past few weeks ... it's motivated me to keep going forward, because I sure as hell don't want to go back.
  4. SchrodingersCat

Opti-Greens and Reds

Looks like they both contain maltodextrin, so nope.
  5. ShannonM816

Opti-Greens and Reds

You'd need to check the ingredients to see if they're all okay to have on whole30.
  6. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 20 how is this even possible! 2/3 of the way, the home stretch. 7:30 am phone call from my mom woke me up. She’s hurt her back, so I guess it’s up and at em so I can get the kids and take her to see her chiropractor. So much for sleeping until 10:00. I’m awake and waiting for her to tell me appointment time so I took the opportunity to rub essential oils on the hubby and try to work out some nots from the drive. 8:30 S1: RXBar, beef stick Ugh to go from 80 and sunshine to 20 and snowing is a bit harsh. So much for having time for breakfast. I did grab my last beef stick, RXBar and some pistachios. All the other food is gone. Headed to the big city to take my mom to the doctor. Maybe I’ll take advantage of this and stop by sprouts and pick up some compliant bacon and sausage for this week. I can’t believe this is day 20. I’ve started reading food freedom book. Reading the intro I felt that anxiety build up in my chest of all the what if’s… normally I would shut down and walk away from all the overwhelming thoughts and feelings until I was ready to process those things, but this time I allowed myself to ask what if.., and almost always answered the question with .., “then I restart” the more I said it the further into the what if’s I went the more the tightness in my chest relaxed until it was gone. I was then able to continue reading and answering any more what if’s with “then I restart.” 1:30 S2:Banana and pistachios I bought the boys lunch to eat on the road. I stopped at sprouts. They were out of compliant sausage but I did get some bacon and some compliant deli meat. Oh and some bananas because the baby said “A-Nana Pweeeaa”. How could I not buy him a banana. I decided to eat one of his bananas instead of another RX bar. My truck is not running right and has me a little stressed out. Going to pick up the dog and then run the truck over to a guy my husband trust to check it out. Well the truck has to go in the shop and I am finally getting home at 4:30 after leaving out at 8:30. I drove over 4 hours today, and I have 6 hours worth of work to do before I can rest. Today definitely did not go as planned. M1 5:00 sweet sour chicken with steamed broccoli with clarified butter. I was so very happy when I opened the fridge to get milk for the baby and saw my sweet and sour chicken left overs waiting there for me! I steamed a bag of broccoli and heated up half the leftovers. I put the other half in a dish with half of the broccoli for lunch Wednesday. I enjoyed every bite. I was so hungry!
  7. W30CoachAmyLouton

Compliant Breastfeeding Supplements

Hi! Milk Dust Powder has a number of sweeteners, so it is not Whole30 compliant. I'm curious if you are working with a lactation consultant or midwife or other practitioner who can give you expert guidance on this? Keeping up your milk supply is so important (as you know), and it is your priority right now. Many people have done a Whole30 while keeping their milk supply up, so it is not uncommon, however, every nursing person is different. I have heard of people who drank Mother's Milk tea (or similar formulations) while they were nursing and doing a Whole30 with good results. I wish I could help more, however, I am not a medical professional or lactation expert. Whole30 will ALWAYS be here for you when you are ready!!! Best to you and that sweet baby.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Maria45

Starting Jan. 20 with Anxiety/Depression

Thanks so much Kwillertz! How amazing that you were able to go from 6 meds to zero!! Congratulations!!!
  10. CatEMartin

Opti-Greens and Reds

Hi! I take supplements called Opti-Greens 50 and Opti-Reds 50. I start Whole30 next week and want to know if I can still take them. Thank you!
  11. W30CoachAmyLouton

Started 1st Whole30 this morning

Hi, Christi! I see other community members greeted you (and gave you great suggestions), but I just wanted to jump on and say, "Hi," and let you know I read your post and that we're here for you in the Whole30 community. If you're on social media, I definitely recommend following Whole30, Whole30recipes, and some of the coaches, so you're surrounded by supportive, like minded people. Keep reaching out!
  12. Hi there! Im on Day 17 and thus far and have been feeling great and have stayed pretty true to the normal timeline i.e. The Hangover, Kill all the things etc etc. I have been feeling thinner, better energy and overall great and so excited how everything has been working. Starting over the weekend and today being the worst so far and I am insanely bloated and can feel how my pants are fitting more snug than usual. I know this sometimes happens around Day 11 so wondering if I am delayed or what? I also ate out 3 days in a row for one meal a day but did my absolute best to stay on track. I am trying to drink plenty of water. Maybe I am backed up a little? The bloating is really getting me down and discouraged though as I have felt so much lighter for the past few weeks.
  13. W30CoachAmyLouton

Newbie on Day 17...No Tiger Blood Yet

Hi, Nancy, I'm jumping in here to echo what Shani said, and to respond a bit to your last post-- If you feel like you're eating too much food, you can definitely make smaller meals while still following the template (protein, veg, add fat). That kind of goes along with what you said about eating more meat than you're accustomed to -- a recommended serving is a palm size (or two depending on appetite/ activity/etc); if you look at your palm, that's actually not too big of a serving. Check it out next time you're making yourself a plate! As far as protein goes, meat/fish and eggs are it-- nuts are compliant, however, they're an added fat versus a protein source following W30 guidelines. As far as pre/post workout meals-- I'm not a doctor or a sports nutritionist, but I'd say you're intuition on that makes sense, and there is no need for either after low/moderate intensity workouts. One thing that really struck me while reading your posts, is that you are really in tune to your body, and you are totally taking this "personal experiment" seriously by using W30 Day by Day and tracking food/ NSVs/ experiences in your body/ workouts/ etc. I am so impressed! I wasn't doing any of that during my first W30 (it was so long ago, I was too busy making mayo and searching for sugar free bacon :)) One more thing-- you said you haven't reached tiger blood, yet, but you mentioned "no brain fog, more energy." I'd say those are awesome NSVs less than three weeks into your Whole30! Keep on, you've definitely got this!!
  14. hahaha, not glad to hear someone else is having this issue, but glad to know I'm not alone!! I've always loved a good nap on the weekends, but now I can barely drag myself through the day without one and forget about workdays!
  15. lizziehall

January Whole30 Log

I haven’t checked back in a few days so I’m not going to bother listing all my foods like I usually do. I’m on Day 20 & have been facing the biggest challenges yet for this round. I’ve been able to avoid going out to eat for a while, but this weekend was FULL of going out. I ate before meeting friends for one of the meals, but I couldn’t avoid it all. I ended up getting baked (unbreaded) chicken wings with an old bay rub for Dinner on Saturday, pork tacos that I just ate the insides and left the tortillas at brunch, a chicken taco in a lettuce shell for lunch, and a Salmon salad with berries for dinner yesterday. It was not easy to say no to my favorite restaurants/dishes, especially when everyone was celebrating for a friend’s birthday and drinks and desserts were everywhere. Overall I feel pretty good. I’m proud of myself for getting through the weekend, despite a lot of “I’m so over this!” complaints.
  16. Hello Whole30 Forum folks! I am a 51 year old high school science teacher. I've battled with my weight ever since our first child was born in 1995; gaining and losing probably hundreds of pounds over the years. I've been to a functional medicine doctor who has taught me how to choose anti-inflammatory foods (I've been low-gluten for about three years) to fight weight gain, bloat, brain fog, and fatigue. I'm starting Whole30 to jump start a re-commitment to eating and drinking healthfully again. Being a teacher with lots of extra stress all of a sudden (ill family members, potential job change, etc.) caused me to fall back into my deep-seated habit of using comfort food and wine to calm my nerves. This has led to a 20 pound weight gain in the past 6 months, dramatic increase in fatigue and brain fog, swelling of my ankles and hands, and a bad cycle of using Diet Coke to keep my awake on my long commute home every day. I'd like to connect with others who are starting the Whole30 program around this time to ask about symptoms, struggles, and ideas for meals. I need structure when it comes to food and drink! I'd also like to finally address why I depend on food and wine so much for comfort. Here's to a great 30 days of healthful choices!!!!!
  17. Kwillertz

Starting Jan. 20 with Anxiety/Depression

Hello Maria! I have struggled with depression in the past (I was on six different meds at the same time about five years ago) and I commend you for starting this program! I went to a functional medicine doctor to help me get control of my eating/depression and it helped so much! I do not take any medication right now and have found ways to deal with my depression triggers. Some ways are spiritual (I am a Christian) and some are dietary. I'm starting Whole30 to get back in the driver's seat with my diet. I've gained about 20 pounds just in the last six months and I can't let this get out of control again. Give me a shout if you need words of encouragement or want to vent with someone who understands how overpowering it can be to be under the cloud of depression. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!
  18. Dana Olson

PDF Downloads

Thank you! I found them. I’m new to using Audible, very helpful assistance. TY
  19. BabyBear

Like an Onion

Do not loose heart. Every layer we peel back gives us deeper insight into ourselves, our healing, and our journey. There are many physical reasons for the reset taking 30 days, but there are psychological and emotional reasons too. I think one of those is retraining our brain and deepen our decision making process when faced with all the things. Your one decision in one moment does not negate all the hard work you have done up to that moment. That one decision does not define you, you have a lifetime of decisions a head and as many day 1s as you may need to find that place of balance and freedom where what you choose in that moment embodies all that you want in the moment!
  20. I love mead. I used to get it at an Ethiopian restaurant in San Francisco, the same one where I once saw Isabella Rossellini! I'm not star struck, really, but that was memorable. Hey, I love the name Fermentopia, that is a great one. Awesome to have such an interesting opportunity to move forward with that, if you choose to. More will be revealed, right? A wide new world, if you choose to build a presence on IG. It sounds like it's been a labyrinth so far, and I'll be interested to follow you if you proceed in that direction. I think my mate is more disappointed than I am about postponing our big hike, as it's his bucket list thing, and I have enthusiastically agreed to go with him after years of saying, "nah...this is your thing". I think we're both over the disappointment now, and to your question, YES, we are planning a less strenuous hike along the same trail, but just a day or two in, day hiking from one camp, and spending two nights. My knee is feeling much better, and I am really on my game with self care, and feeling a renewal. So we are on the same page with a focus on strength and weight loss...I was thinking about Food Freedom, and the changed mind-set on so many levels with W30. I think this will be a year for me to use the scale with moderation, towards my goals, and will watch out for any mental/psychological pitfalls the same way I watch out for the sugar dragon when I off-road. I still haven't used the scale, but am doing lots of other things, and the two days off really made a big difference! I love the term strong and bendy! I have always been bendy, but seldom been strong, seldom been as slim as feels best for me, and always known I am capable of expanding that. What you described as a tall order, maybe it is, but I know we are capable of it! Like you, the knee thing is more of an inconvenience than a disability, and I echo your feelings of gratitude, and made it a big part of my journal writing yesterday. My friend would say these things are impeccable allies. I heard that knee pain like a trumpeting clarion call to action, and I have answered it! I am celebrating that you are feeling slimmer, stronger, AND seeing the scale go down! That is so telling, because doesn't muscle mass weigh more in its density...so you are really getting somewhere with your efforts, Holly! I am happy for you! Keep it up, I'm with you! Over the two days I did a bit of re-organizing and re-arranging in our dining room/my office, and I figured out a way to set up a good light at our table for my writing. So I still dream journal from bed (or the new orange wing back by the tub!) while it's fresh, but I finally have an easy and comfortable set up for journaling, and I spent a good couple of hours yesterday reviewing all that I learned last year, and it's quite a list! I might review here when I have more time, but I have to fly soon, to senior movie day and then work. I made a gigantic batch of that Italian Vegetable Soup, and added black beans, lentils, and yellow and green split peas since I didn't have any already-cooked chicken, and a new Italian spice blend that I like, so I feel very secure, and everything I need to make the lemongrass chicken, and the Tuscan creamy chicken is in the cue. (queue?)...and the house is in good shape, not including outdoors, of course... Poop, there's more but I have to go. Merry Monday! Hope you are feeling good and that your house is resounding with the good vibes of friends over.
  21. SugarcubeOD

Nutpod "Natural Flavor"

Natural and artificial flavors are okay on Whole30. If you are not comfortable eating these additives, then you don't have to but for the purposes of the program, they're fine.
  22. pd1224

Nutpod "Natural Flavor"

Hi - I am new to whole30. The forum has helped me so much to get started. However, I LOEV sugar, but can't have sugar anymore. However, can I have NATURAL FLAVORS in my ingredients? For example, the Nutpod Hazelnut creamer states "Natural Flavor" is that approved? The website states whole30 approved, but really?
  23. CrazierCatLady

Day 19; No Energy - Where's the Tiger Blood?!

I'm sorry, but I have no good advice for you but I just wanted to say that I am in EXACTLY the same boat. This is the fifth or sixth time I have done Whole 30 - always with good results and I always finished it and stayed on it the whole time. And I remember feeling better by this time all the other rounds. I can barely ride my bike up the hill to work (it's a 5 minute ride that I do every day for years) and I hit the wall after running - for THREE minutes. I'm on Day 17, but I feel your pain. All my vegetables are from my garden. All my meat is from the local awesome butcher. I'm eating (good) fats. Agh! Excuse me, it's time for my mid-morning nap.
  24. Maria45

Mentally blah/ depressed

Hello. Are you feeling VERY depressed? If so, you need to contact a doctor or professional. Don't wait when it comes to mental illness if you are truly depressed. Now, if you are just using the term but are not "clinically depressed," then I agree that a podcast could be a good thing to do to keep you busy and interested! Good luck to you!!
  25. kirbz

Kirbz's Whole30 Log

This has honestly been a difficult Whole30 for me. Not because it's been that hard. But because it hasn't made me feel very good. So, while I feel like I'm doing it in a sustainable way, I'm not feeling good enough to want to eat this way for the long term. I have very, very low energy. Like, I could sleep 14 hours a day. My knees hurt often and badly. And I'm coming down with a cold (I made it through the entire year last year without getting a cold or flu). I know I sometimes don't eat enough. But no more so than in the past. I can't think of anything at all that I'm doing differently. I guess I'll try to increase and vary my fat intake. I rely a lot on ghee and oils, so I'll try to throw in more olives and avocado. I also think I'm going to switch to table salt with iodine. I've been relaying solely on sea salts that I don't think have any iodine. Maybe that will make a difference? And I'll add more vegetables. I've been relying a lot on potatoes. I hope some of these things help. Regardless, I think I'm going to try another one-month experiment where I simply eat whole foods and no sugar and see where that takes me. I've never tried that before. I'm either Whole30 or eating Lucky Charms and Mac N Cheese. I've never tried just eating good, whole foods that don't align with a specific dietary approach. So I'll eat rice and legumes and oatmeal because I don't think those are inherently bad for me. And I'll continue to eat lots and lots of vegetables and meat with at least lunch and dinner. I think I need to expand the scope of my food experimentation to really find something ideal for me for the long term.
  26. Hello. I am starting the Whole30 today (Monday, January 20) after weeks of planning. I decided to go on the Whole30 because I am very overweight. I'd like to blame my depression and anxiety medications for the weight gain, but it's more than that. After reading many stories from others, I'm thinking that getting more in-control of my life AND getting healthier will help with my depression and anxiety. I do believe strongly in inflammatory conditions causing many of our issues and I think that depression/anxiety are only made worse by bad diet and inflammation. I hope that I can do this and maybe even lower my meds (after the program and, of course, with a doctor's recommendation). Anyone starting today and/or doing the program with anxiety/depression?
  27. BabyBear

Ann’s Struggles+Successes

@Ann I’m so glad you are pushing through all the stress and pain and holding fast to your whole 30! If jumping on the scale is the worst you did then I applaud you. The past few weeks have been eye opening in regards to how much that number affects my perception of me. I tried my theory about starting a new thread to post pics... didn’t work apparently our accounts are limited to a certain amount of space for digital media. I’ve been bummed out about this because I really enjoyed posting pics and felt it gave me that much more accountability. So I’m going to start posting my pics to my Instagram account that I set up just for my journey to health and I’ll post links to that. Just because you are having cravings doesn’t make you a lush! It makes you normal, and facing them makes you Wonder Woman.
  28. I'm on Day 19, I have been 100% compliant and I am frustrated because I have low low energy levels. I am sleeping 8 hours a night, but I can barely drag myself out of bed in the morning. After 1 cup of coffee, I'm okay, but by 3:00pm I am ready for a nap. All I can think of is that I'm not consuming enough food...here is an average day; M1; 1 cup of coffee with nutpods. 8oz mason jar filled with sweet potato, ground turkey & leeks, 1.5 egg, and mushrooms + 1 cup of fresh berries M2; salad - 5 cups of kale, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1/2 cup cucumbers, 1/2 cup banana peppers, 1/4 cup olives, 1/2 cup grilled chicken and compliant dressing. M3; palm sized grilled fresh wild salmon, broccoli/apple/walnut salad with pesto, roasted brussel sprouts I drink 80 - 100oz of water daily, I usually ride my Peloton bike 4-5 days a week; 30mins of riding and 10mins of weight training. My athletic performance has been dismal along with my energy levels. I've tried adding a compliant RX bar to M2, but it didn't seem to help at all with energy levels. Please help!!
  1. Load more activity