All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hi all! I'm planning on making a recipe this week that calls for beef broth to be used in the gravy. Unfortunately, I can't find a compliant beef broth (normal, stock, or bone) at my local supermarket. I do however have compliant chicken bone broth at home. Does anyone have experience making a similar swap? If so, did you notice any differences in taste? Thanks!
  3. Today
  4. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Day 28 Almost forgot to post today. I'm feeling in much higher spirits, more my Whole30 norm, than I was yesterday and Monday. I'm almost out of bananas - which I think were contributing to my slump - and I'll avoid them in the future and stick to berries or maybe apples when I feel like fruit. Yesterday, I ended up having leftovers for lunch - the last of the meat sauce from Sunday with cauli rice and Caesar dressing. Weird mix, but ok. We went to a late dinner with our friend, so I had a banana with nut butter in the late afternoon to hold me over. Dinner was delicious, as always at Gaucho. I got a huge salad with mushrooms, fennel, potatoes, avocado, and other yummy veggies topped with red snapper, and we shared a side of grilled cauliflower and smashed butternut squash. It was $54 for the two of us. $137 on going out to eat so far this month. Meals for today: M1: Last of the sweet potato quiche with Caesar Salad M2: Leftover Buffalo chicken salad with a hardboiled egg from Friday - I tried to emulsify the Ranch dressing again and I'm still having problems. It was pretty thick when I took it out of the fridge, so maybe it's just supposed to me like that. I don't know. M3: Slow Cooker Dijon Thyme Chicken Legs (https://therealfoodrds.com/chili-rosemary-roasted-nuts/) with Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes w Tahini "Butter" (https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sweet-potatoes-with-tahini-butter - using ghee instead of butter)
  5. slc_melissa

D 29, head- & muscle aches since d 16

My first guess would be that your'e not getting enough water and/or electrolytes. How much water are you drinking? Are you salting your food? I get really bad headaches when I'm dehydrated.
  6. Madeline368

Amazon

@SchrodingersCat - what about chorizo? It looks like salami to me, is it not? Palacios' Chorizo has no sugar. https://www.tienda.com/products/mild-chorizo-palacios-cz-06-2.html
  7. BabyBear

BTVS Whole 30 log

You may want to look into beef liver capsules. When I was prego my iron levels dropped drastically. After doing some research and determining there was no way I could choke down liver I found reputable supplier of grass fed beef liver capsules. They made a world of difference in my energy levels. I took them every few days and figured out what worked well for me. I had great iron levels the remainder of my pregnancy and even post baby. I am so glad to hear you are still going strong and you had positive feed back from the Dr. What’s your plan fo after the whole 30? Do you plan on doing a re-intro?
  8. I have been 100% compliant for 18 days. While I have noticed a few Physical (Outside) NSVs (leaner appearance, flatter stomach, clothes fitting better, watch fitting better), I feel like I'm not noticing many changes in Physical (Inside), Mood, Emotion and Psychology, Brain Function, Sleep, etc. NSVs. I am also not yet feeling the Tiger Blood I was expecting, and have heard from so many people that this is "so real." I was a moderately healthy eater and moderately active before starting Whole30, and I noticed the book said that if this was the case, most people felt almost a flipped switch on Day 16 to Tiger Blood. Of course, every body is different but I was expecting to feel much better than my usual self starting this week. I definitely feel as though I'm eating enough/not too much - hard boiled eggs and fruit and maybe some dinner leftovers (if any) or half an avocado for breakfast, 1 serving of a recipe from the Whole30 book for lunch (including the "Make It A Meal" option), and 1 serving of a dinner recipe from the book (again, including the "Make It A Meal" option). I am eating until I am full and satiated, and am full for 4-5 hours after each meal, and not snacking at all. What am I doing wrong?? HELP!
  9. Kristina421

Pilot Kombucha Pomegranate Rose

Hi there. I am a bit confused about whether or not I can have Pilot Kombucha. The nutrition facts say that it has 5g of sugar in the whole 16 oz bottle, and 0g of added sugar. Below is the URL and the ingredients. The thing that is throwing me off is that although kombucha is allowed if there isn't sugar added after the fermentation process, if sugar is listed on the label, it is out. In this case, for the ingredients, it says kombucha, then in parentheses, it lists all of the ingredients in the kombucha, so clearly the sugar that is listed in parentheses was used to make the scoby, right? But part of the rules say no sugar can be used. I need a referee to call this one for me... haha... Thanks in advance for your help! URL: https://www.pilotkombucha.com/product Ingredients: Made with organic rose petals & unsweetened pomegranate juice, with just a hint of mint and cardamom. Ingredients: kombucha (green tea, mint, rose petals, cardamom, black pepper, water, sugar, live culture), pomegranate juice, rose water. Calories/sugar per 16 oz serving: 20 calories, 5 g sugar.
  10. itswhitneybitch

Day 27...bloated & thinking of extending my W30?

Hi Jihanna! Thank you for your response - I will definitely try out your suggestions
  11. kirbz

Amazon

I think I had actually found this before and discounted it because it didn't look like salami (in fact I thought it looked kinda gross). LOL, it sounds like I wasn't too far off base as I don't love jerky... I'll save salami for special occasions and my food freedom! Thank you for all the great information!
  12. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Most people ask for oil and vinegar but I’m not a huge fan of vinegar to put it on my salad strait. But citrus fruits hit the spot for me. So I’ll ask for lemons, limes, and even oranges if they have them. Even if they don’t have olive oil the citrus fruit helps with the enjoyment of the salad. yes on when the kids love the food. My 11 yr old with the allergies LOVES food, so he’s always up for trying new recipes. When my extremely picky 13 yr old eats the food we know it’s an amazing recipe
  13. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 28 and I’m feeling great. 5:55 got up changed baby, went back to bed 9:30 baby alarm went off again. It was nice to sleep in a little. Now to get the day going. I made the boys oatmeal for breakfast, and had to be mindful not to taste it to test hotness while I was feeding the baby. 10:00 M1: Pederson sausage links and a mixed green salad with the “chick-fil-a” dipping sauce as a dressing. I intended to make an egg, but ended up being satisfied with the sausage. Getting work done = baby destroying most of the house 4:00 M2: venison sheet pan fajitas. With avocado, tomatoes in lettuce leaf wraps. These were delicious and the boys helped me make them this time which was a nice surprise. I enjoy cooking with them and watching them develop their kitchen skills. After we cleaned up I decided to make another mess. My hubby has been having a frustrating day and nothing has seem to go his way. So I decided to make his favorite (mine too) no bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookie. Talk about being mindful! I had to really pay attention to not lick the fingertips or clean off the peanut butter spoon with my tongue. I tossed a towel over my shoulder like I used to do in my commercial kitchen days so that my hand went up to the towel to wipe off rather than my mouth. They turned out beautifully. I hope they make him smile when he comes home, he could use a smile today! I think I’ll go make him a “would you be my valentine card” to put with them. It’s never to early to ask right? My 11 yr DS saw the cookies and asked in an overly excited tone, “does this mean you are done with your diet?” To which I answered no. He then proceeded to drill me, did you eat any? Did you taste it? Did you lick the spoon? All were answered with No. He then gave me a huge hug and said “Mom, I’m so proud of you!” My hubby did indeed smile when he saw the cookies and also asked if this means the diet thing is over. I told him no it means I love you. He even liked my card I made. After sending the kids to bed we spent our evening snuggling on the couch catching up on some of our shows we enjoy watching together. My brain immediately wanted a snack when I brought my hubby his milk and cookies, but I asked my questions and determined I wasn’t hungry and I didn’t need it to enjoy our time together. It’s been a long day but a good one.
  14. LindaC

Day 1 of second round-Fail

And now for the real day one. Meal 1 off to a good start! Two poached eggs over 1/2 baked potato and some of nomnom paleo's best braised cabbage. This cabbage recipe was a big part of the reason I loved doing my first round of wh30!
  15. laura_juggles

Amazon

Looking at the picture, I was going to say that US Wellness Meats product looks more like a summer sausage. Probably still super yummy...but not a salami.
  16. I am so glad I have the W30 day-by-day, as I can see how I felt I have had increased headaches since day 10, but I powered through. I started getting back muscle aches on day 16, but powered through. My energy started picked up on day 15, and I think I was getting Tiger Blood, but on day 20 I crashed mid-day and have had a constant headache since. My food has been consistent: 2 spinach egg "muffins" (sometimes with smoked salmon) & 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast, meat (usually pressure-cooked shredded port or beef) & roast veggies for lunch, fruit & nuts about 4, meat (usually different shredded meat and different veg, but sometimes spiralized zucchini with compliant sauce & hamburger) for dinner. I really want this to work, but yesterday my head hurt so much and my body ached and I just want to feel better. Suggestions? Thanks!
  17. SchrodingersCat

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

Still hungry after dinner, so mini meal of eggs, pickles and a small amount of slivered almonds
  18. SchrodingersCat

I'm having a very up and down time, emotionally, at the moment. I didn't eat my lunch as a meal, just munched the 2 tuna patties separately, and then in a strop decided 'stuff it, I'm having a cookie, this is pointless, you can't even do 30 days'. Went to the work break room, opened the cookie jar, looked at them.... and walked away. I even decided that if I was going to cave on a snack, I could go to the minimart across the road and get a compliant but SWYPO lara-like bar, or a pot of almonds, then didn't do THAT either. My issue is at the moment, I feel crappy and so I have the 'why bother' attitude but feeling crappy is exactly WHY I need to bother. So I'm just going to plug on, one meal at a time.
  19. btvs1981

BTVS Whole 30 log

Day 28 Coffee with coconut milk Bacon, egg and vege scramble Homemade san choi bau with lettuce from the garden and avocado Day 29 Coffee with coconut milk Bacon, egg and vege scramble Pumpkin, sesame and cauliflower dahl with coriander Leftover san choi bau with lettuce from the garden and avocado Many days behind on the log but catching up on what I can remember. Still lacking in hunger a lot of the time but if I stick to the two meals I seem to be hungry enough to eat both of them. My Dr isn't particularly worried about this and is pretty happy with the amount of nutritious food I"m taking in given my sleeve. She did suggest really sticking to the eat within an hour of waking rule to try and boost my metabolism and to increase activity where possible for the same reason so those are my goals now that I have that info. I did come back super low in iron and B12 so I'm due for infusions for the iron and injections for the B12 so hopefully that will fix any other issues.
  20. SchrodingersCat

Started today, 1/27/20

Day 2 underway here, doing fine! Finding myself obsessing over what I'm going to cook for dinner lol. I have realised I'm not going to be able to go a whole 30 days, due to a pre-booked and planned weekend away, but that's find, it's round 3 and I'm planning on making this more a lifestyle change, where things will arise, and so it's good practice for that.
  21. LO867

squash seeds

Oh good. Roasting a squash tonight, and I love roasting the seeds afterwards!
  22. ChristyJ

Started today, 1/27/20

How's everyone doing? Day 2 down!
  23. SchrodingersCat

Amazon

That kind of this is what I mean by there being 'salamis' that are more of a jerky style - that's a salt preserved meat, basically the same as a jerky but in a sausage shape . In fact, the ingredients are almost exactly my ground beef jerky recipe! It won't have the tang of a salami (and Italians would be horrified at to being called that), but it could scratch the itch!
  24. Yesterday
  25. ShannonM816

Amazon

So, I'm not sure how they do it, in light of what @SchrodingersCat said above, but US Wellness Meats/Grassland Beef has a sugar free beef salami: https://grasslandbeef.com/salami. I haven't tried it, but other things I've tried from them have been good, though pretty expensive.
  26. lizziehall

January Whole30 Log

It’s day 28! I’m excited to wrap everything up but scared of going back to real life. Less rigid rules, like food freedom, never tend to work out for me. I always end up straying once it twice and then throwing it all away. I’m hoping reintroduction helps me with setting hard & fast rules for my diet in the future. I already know dairy messes with my stomach so that’s out but I’m looking forward to seeing what gluten does to me. I still haven’t done much meal prep at school, mostly because my grocery trip was kind of a fail and a lot of things I needed weren’t there. With work all day tomorrow and Thursday, I won’t have time to make much until after the 30 days are over so I’ll be figuring it out as I go in the meantime. Today was successful with a sweet potato hash for breakfast and steamed broccoli/cauliflower and a hotdog with mustard and sourkraut for lunch.
  27. SchrodingersCat

Day 2! I realized yesterday I'm not going to be able to complete 30 days, due to a holiday at the end of February that's been planned for 6 months and was specifically booked to attend a cheese festival, I'm ok with that, this is more a reset for me in any event and that's not going to stop me being compliant until then, and resuming compliancy afterwards. Meal 1: 2 poached eggs with spicy kraut Meal 2: 2 Thai curry tuna patties with slaw and peri peri mayo Meal 3: I feel like lamb. And sweet potatoes. probably that, with some broccolini and roasted beetroot, with a chimmichurri sauce
  28. kirbz

Amazon

@SchrodingersCat Thank you for that information! That's super helpful! And now I can stop wasting my time trying to find it... LOL.
  1. Load more activity