All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Jack william

Good Quality Coffee Suggestions

For the best and quality coffee. I like to go coffee shop dekroon.
  4. Oaklandish1

I’m starting whole 30 tomorrow but...

Thanks for this... well I went in with a little bit of cooked chicken, mayo, with some baby carrots and ate at 2:30. As soon as my appointment was over it was 6:30 so I went into the mall food court, past the cookie and cupcake stand and got myself a poke bowl... 100% whole30 compliant. It was a little blah without any sauce but the avocado helped. didnt get home til 10:30 because grocery shopping. Was hungry again so I Had a little steamed asparagus and smoked salmon. i had some drama with the boyfriend but I’m so proud of myself for not losing my isht and busting into a bottle of wine when I got home! lol. Oh right, it’s all locked in the wine fridge... wow actually I don’t even want any. Shocker!
  5. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Change of plans! Dinner is porterhouse (strip) steak, potato gratin (something like this, maybe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/76994/potato-gratin-with-chicken-broth-garlic-and-thyme/), broccolini and baked zucchini. Yum. Might do a bit of a spinach salad with it, just to bulk up the greenery!
  6. I'm looking for a new word for us, for those things like your butter, my feta, the half-n-half I took in my decaf today (yeah, living dangerously me and coffee, all good today!). I used to think of these as "the verboten" foods. But in cobbling together whatever the new way of thinking is, which stands apart from W30, but has W30 factored into it, what is a good word for those moments and those choices? BTW that steak sounds yummy. I'm going to ask my CSA lady if she can get kohlrabi, it looks so good, and like something I might really like - thanks for the reminder. I still haven't made the mackerel cakes that have been in my orange "next up" folder for a long time, but your fishcakes remind me of that, too. I got all the shopping done, and it's notably grounding and comforting to get organized in the kitchen and pantry as I take these baby steps back towards health and fitness. Happy sigh, I needed that! Tonight I made tomato soup. It's so helpful to hash out the thinking here - thank you. I was thinking that one huge advantage we have is maturity and the mental focus that comes with it. Speaking of mental focus, isn't that a really huge part? I'm going with that. I was also thinking about that period when I was trail running. The impetus to run came when my mom got sick - it was like a survival instinct, a voice yelling, "RUN! RUN! RUN for your life!!!". I will never forget that. I wanted to lose weight, yes, I was at my heaviest weight ever, but I also instinctively knew it would help me stress-wise, and in ways that I couldn't put words to. And it did....and the caregiving gave me, not being a parent myself, the most profound sense of purpose I've ever known. So, back to mental focus, I'm going to treat myself with the same sense of purpose. Yesterday I was reading something about knowing who you are, I mean, really who you are, underneath personality and even self image...your real essence in the hall of ancestors kind of thing...so I'm thinking that whatever that author was driving at (I can dig it up if you're interested - it's upstairs) is what deserves the same care and devotion that I gave my mother. Right? Whew! Why not? Day 3 of my new habits and hiking, I feel like I'm climbing out of a murky swamp. But I think there's part of me that likes the begin again phase, is that why I sabotage? That's such an old, bad habit! Like you said, about getting out of throw-in-the-towel mode. I think it's awesome and huge that we got honest about W30 and weight loss...I KNOW we can do this! As for an athletic-type event to work towards, any thoughts as you slept on it? Here's a crazy idea, do you want to find a 5K or something that's on the same weekend, different places? Oh, my final insight from today is that after 3 W30's and lots of self-knowledge, whatever we do now can include weight loss as a goal, not the only goal, but that can be in the mix, no taboo there...that doesn't feel or look right in words compared to the feeling I get when I think about it...I guess I want to just be honest with myself about it, and that feels better... does that make sense? Now I'm rambling, sorry, time for bed! Is your walking challenge software back up?
  7. doubledee

Whole30, Take Two

Day 10: Cruising along pretty well. 1/3 of the way through already! Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with ground turkey, red peppers, garlic and ginger Lunch: Forgot to pack lunch and was stuck with a rather sad salad topped with some grilled chicken. No salad dressings available that didn't include sugar, so I squeezed on some mustard packs to give things a bit of flavor. Thus, no fat at lunch, which might be why I totally crashed (energy-wise) midafternoon and needed a snack. Snack: Celery sticks with almond butter. Dinner: Made up for lame lunch with leftover Dan Dan Zoodles. They're really good!
  8. SchrodingersCat

Si's Whole 30

Your spaghetti squash dinner sounds amazing!! Plus, I just love lamb, so the whole day sounds good.
  9. Si-Ya

Si's Whole 30

For breakfast/lunch today I had Lamb shoulder with lamb's quarter and olive oil. I woke up pretty late due to some heavy cramping so I just had the two together. For the evening meal I had half of a spaghetti squash with turkey and a few slices of bacon. The squash had a carrot pesto with capers, olives, and olive oil. It was mouth bliss and I will be making it often. Today I feel a crazy beautiful amount of energy and a sense of alertness I haven't felt since being on keto. I feel very clean and grounded and very confident in myself with this sense of strength that overtakes any sense of anxiety or fear.
  10. Hi whole30 family - looking for some guidance on my whole30. This is round 2, day 23 (my first round was last July, I've done a few mostly whole30 months in the middle but not another strict one until now). I’m not feeling any *big* NSV, which has been quite disappointing - I sleep a *bit* better, my skin is a *bit* clearer, and I have a *tiny bit* more energy (though I’m currently on my surgery rotation as a medical student working/studying 16+ hour days in the operating room/library so I’m not expecting much energy). My clothes aren’t fitting any looser really. And I do have much weight/inches to lose even though I know this isn’t a weight loss program (I’m 5’0” and weighed 144 lbs prior to starting this round, I have a family history of type 2 diabetes and have PCOS so am at risk, along with having high cholesterol, asthma, and recently elevated blood pressures in the past year or two). Here’s an example of what I’ve been eating, these are my meals for this week (same meals all week mostly since I meal prep on Sunday for the whole week): Breakfast (around 7 am before I go to the OR): baked eggs with broccoli/onions, spiralized one small potato to make the base of the entire pan of baked eggs for the week so probably 1/5th of a potato?, 1.5 oz compliant smoked salmon, fruit (this week it’s been a handful of raspberries) Lunch (ranges from 11:30 AM to 4 PM depending on the OR schedule, but usually it's around 11:30 to 1:30, on a good day I get about 15 minutes to eat): red cabbage cole slaw with carrots/scallions (dressing made with primal kitchen mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and some spices), chicken tenders (baked with an almond flour crust), roasted carrots Dinner (around 6-7 PM depending on when I get home): coconut cauliflower rice, beef stir fry (with bell peppers, scallions, onions) OR tuna/avocado salad with baked plantain “chips” and raw bell pepper strips for dipping Snacks: sometimes between breakfast and lunch if I’m the OR for a long time without a real break and just have <5 minutes to run out to my white coat in the pre-op area - chomp bar, almonds, banana (I keep all three in my white coat, that’s about all that fits) I have to be up at 5 am to get to the hospital on time to see my surgery patients from the day before prior to the new surgeries so I’m usually asleep by 9. I realize this doesn’t give me the 3 hours without eating before bed but that’s just not always possible with my schedule. I've also been very constipated this round, which is something I always struggle with but seems especially worse during this round. My surgery schedule doesn't help for sure as I prefer to go in the morning and just don't have enough time in the morning to feel relaxed enough to go. Any advice on tweaks I could make to maximize this round and future Whole30s/food freedom is much appreciated! Thank you!!
  11. Yesterday
  12. SchrodingersCat

I'm STARVING!!!

AGREED!! I was a WWer from the early 90s and man, did I have a mental block against fat. I really struggled my first round to get my plated fats and to cook in any fats, it just seemed so wrong. Now I love the fats! I keep duck fat on hand for sauteing veggies and roasting potatoes, I love flavouring up my ghee for different sauces (lemon, garlic and dill ghee on snapper is divine!), I eat mayo and mayo based salad dressings, I toss salad in olive oil, liberally throw nuts through my side dishes...
  13. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Day 12! I'm ticking along just fine, no cravings, no kill all the things, no withdrawals... vertigo is lessening, I'm sleeping pretty well, no heartburn, IBS is under control, sinuses are clear, oral allergy symptoms are not present... I don't have tiger blood (and don't expect to). Thew brownies appear to be amazing, but I have to wait for someone else to taste them lol. Meal 1: Sri Lankan Curry with roasted veg medley and cauli rice Meal 3: Something with turkey breast steaks, maybe?
  14. SchrodingersCat

Suggestions for Coffee Substitute?

I drink a tea blend with Yerba Mate and guarana. It gives me as much energy as coffee, without the jitters.
  15. SugarcubeOD

Preserves...

Yep, as long as the ingredients are all compliant, this is fine. Using apricots or making ones own preserves for a recipe is also fine but some people don't have that kind of time or desire
  16. SugarcubeOD

Whole 30 compliant

The one that lists pea protein is out. I can't see the ingredients on the other one.
  17. Boriqua

Whole 30 compliant

Pls forgive me still working on perfecting the forum questions.
  18. Jihanna

re: portions -- definitely listen to your body... if "one serving" per the recipe's description is too much, don't stuff yourself... but also don't get discouraged or think badly of yourself if your body wants more than "one serving". (as reference: my typical frittata has 3 eggs and 2-3 handfuls of "regular" veggies, 1-2 handfuls of leafy stuff, and an additional handful of starchy veggie either mixed in or served on the side, plus avocado either mixed in or on the side) re: snacking mid-appointment -- I'd personally skip the nuts (I'm not a fan of them, honestly) and have a small container of bite-sized foods that are easy to grab in a way that won't be too conspicuous (especially if you're able to excuse yourself for a couple of minutes), something small enough to keep in my purse or bag. Ideas would be cubed chicken, baby carrots and/or celery sticks, cubed sweet potato (amazingly good even chilled, oddly enough), olives, grapes, apple slices... the idea would be to treat it like a mini-meal in between the two halves of the regular meal, so I'd try to hit all 3 macros (my little box would probably include chicken, sweet potato, and olives, possibly celery). ^ Again, that's what I would do for me, because I know nuts in general don't digest well for me unless they've been creamed (mmm, cashew cream...) or crushed down into tiny bits. I also suspect they're at least partially responsible for some of the hormonal stuff I felt during my first W30 (Larabars are pure evil, at least for some of us), so I'm excited to leave them out of my next round entirely. Good luck!
  19. Lorna from Canada

Stomach Pain - Day 3

It's amazing what we learn when we pay attention to our bodies! We're so different in what we tolerate, how we digest, what makes us feel nauseated, what keeps us full. This W30 is an amazing self-experiment!
  20. Lorna from Canada

I'm STARVING!!!

@Jihanna Loving you back sistah!! OMG yes - potatoes are your friend! I've eating more potatoes (sweet and regular) since January 3 than I have in the past 20 years! And fry up some onions! I'm buying them by the 20lb bag now - who knew you could eat fried onions? The world's simplest pleasure! My cousin asked me the other day what I was doing to lose weight and my absolutely honest answer was, "eating like a horse for the first time in my life!" (Then I proselytised on the W30 for an hour so, I may have lost her ) Cheers
  21. Oaklandish1

My boyfriend last night was quick to remind me that he has watched me scarf down the better part of tomahawk steak in one sitting, but generally that was at night after a couple glasses of wine and close to my period! I am really glad I started eating 99% W30-compliant foods last Friday. I felt a bit of the hangover/dizziness stuff on Saturday and Sunday, a day when I was too busy to get in my head about it too much. Today I woke up very late and tired because i had a really hard time sleeping last night! the gut pain/indigestion was too much, but I took some simethicone and my symptoms lightened up after an hour. today will be a challenging one as I am a personal shopping assistant and I have an appointment from 1:30–5, with an hour commute each way. I’m just finishing up breakfast (Eyeroll). Game plan: eat some of my next meal on the train right before my appointment, in hopes of preventing cravings a bit. cram a handful off nuts into my face mid-appointment if I get unbearably hungry, then finish my meal right after, before I get on the train to come home. Dinner will only be 2-3 hours later. Unfortunately I can’t stop in the middle of my meeting to feed so this is the game plan I’ve come up with. Any comments from the peanut gallery? Lol damn I’m so glad for this forum. I have so many questions!
  22. eIissa

Starting tomorrow!

I lost a bunch of weight from 2016 to 2018 through calorie counting and maintained it up until the beginning of this year, when my habits got a little wacky and I began to feel disillusioned with the process, in no small part due to some major life changes. I've contemplated doing the Whole30 to recalibrate my relationship with food for a while now. Recently, I've experienced some GI issues that I suspect are due to my diet, which led me to decide to embark on the Whole30 once and for all. Tomorrow's day 1 - let's do this!
  23. Jihanna

I'd second the Crio Bru type drinks. I bought myself a sampler pack for Mother's Day, and I've been really enjoying them. I usually add some into my morning coffee so I get a chocolate-y undertone to the coffee itself, but I've also tried a couple of them brewed alone... mixed with just a bit of almond milk, it's quite a nice departure from my usual morning drinks. I sometimes add a dash of cinnamon with mine, also.
  24. ShannonM816

Have you tried the cacao based beverages like choffy or crio bru? I don't have them real often, but they're a nice change. Don't expect it to taste like hot chocolate, it's not sweetened, it's just brewed cocoa beans, but it's not bad. There was a discussion here on the forum recently about the mushroom based drinks, I don't remember if anyone ever went back and posted an actual review of them or if it was just people asking if anyone had tried them. You might also consider quitting all caffeine at some point and seeing how that affects things. It can be pretty miserable at first, but after a couple of weeks you may be surprised to find that you don't need the morning jolt of coffee anymore.
  25. So much to think about... Maybe "permanent" wasn't the best choice of words. I guess it would be better to say sustainable and flexible and, yes, to the best of my ability but still adhering closely to The Plan- not so much right vs wrong or good vs bad. I've done three rounds as well and I've reaped different lasting benefits from each but it's not a W365, rinse and repeat. I'm having a harder time setting and sticking to my own personal rules that I did to the more rigid W30 rules. After thinking about all of this, I decided that instead of another W30, what I need to do is RIDE MY OWN BIKE and ride it well, according to the rules I have set for myself. Like you (again!), I have been tending to think of it as a weight loss opportunity. What I need to do is think about my portion sizes, the amount of movement in my day and the amount of off-roading I allow to creep in- craft beer, I'm SO looking at you. Mindless snacking and wine-ing come to mind as well. So, last night I had the house to myself and was going to treat myself to one of the little pieces of filet mignon I got as an apology for my meat guy messing up my order. I didn't have any ghee and really wanted that buttery flavor to baste it in but also didn't want to make any because I'd just gotten finished putting up some pickled asparagus and garlic scapes and I was ready to be out of the kitchen. Since I'm not sensitive to dairy products and they don't set off any cravings, I made an executive decision that a little butter was acceptable off-roading for me at that moment. I have a yummy compliant lunch: grilled salmon, guac, kale salad (actually kohlrabi greens salad but it's essentially the same) and a few berries. Dinner will probably be fish cakes. I got some cod a while back and it didn't freeze well but it makes great fish cakes if i chop it up in the processor first. Still thinking... Having a goal helps, right? You have a good one with your end-of-summer hiking trip. I need one. My last one was looking/feeling good for my trip to LA but that obviously didn't motivate me sufficiently; heavy on the self-sabotage there. I think it needs to be fitness-oriented not appearance/weight-oriented. It's good to get out of throwing-in-the-towel mode. As crummy as I felt, that just made me feel worse.
  26. As much as I love coffee, it no longer agrees with me I have severe gut issues and coffee affects my gut and produces brain fog/bloating. I have leaky gut and bottom line is that drinking coffee is very unpredictable, sometimes it's fine but many times lately it just makes me sick. The problem is, that tea just doesn't do it for me! I've tried every tea, and the only tea that I somewhat like is green tea. But it doesn't give me the energy kick like coffee does, and it just doesn't compare to that good coffee feeling you get in the morning! I'm going to try and add MCT Oil to my green tea to see if that helps give me the energy kick I usually get with coffee. I'm also thinking about drinking bone broth in the morning as I know it will probably do wonders for my gut. But it's not as good as coffee.... Has anybody quit coffee and what did you use a substitute? Back when I tolerated coffee, it was a great part of my morning routine and felt so good. Yet I don't seem to have that experience with any other beverage...
  27. MissWendy

Freezer Meals

Rather than 1-container meals, can you grab parts from the freezer during your recovery? I see a lot of recipes for meat dishes that would clearly freeze well. Then for your vegetables I'm finding good grocery store options for frozen veggies, including some that are mixed vegetables, and still compliant. Make some ranch dressing ahead, or whatever for your plated fat. iow - make your meal prep minimal, just not one-pot.
  28. The honey in the beef stock would make that non-compliant, so the yeast extract wouldn't even matter at that point... but as you said, at least it's easier for you to get the makings of a homemade beef broth!
  1. Load more activity