All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. BabyBear

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

I am so sorry you’re days have been more grey than usual. I do hope you get some rays of sunshine to break through even if for a moment or two. It takes a strong person to persevere through the grey and the gloom.
  3. Today
  4. BabyBear

Like an Onion

Oh how I struggle with gray areas! My nature sees black and white and I struggle making room for grey. I’m learning in food freedom there is s lot of gray, and that has terrified me. I am learning to navigate the gray and finding a world of other colors in the process. I have hung many labels on myself that many people have handed me through the tears. I am removing these labels and taking a good hard look at them to see if these are labels I should even be carrying in the first place. Good thoughts to chew on
  5. Hi There - So due to timing constraints and the inability to eat the right amount veggies inthe morning - trust I tried it's really hard, I've instituted a smoothie with breakfast. The smoothie has a healthy fat and greens: mixed berries, spinach (1.5 cups), mint, and coco milk OR straw/banana/nut butter/spinach/almond milk ( I only do this one twice a week as it's a bit sweeter). I do these two smoothies (one of them) with either 1 hard boiled egg and a full sausage OR 2 hard boiled eggs and half a sausage. My question is, is this kosher for Whole30? Everything is compliant, I know how Melissa feels about smoothies but I felt if I actually paired it with something I'm eating and I'm actually getting more than I typically do for breakfast. When I have to eat protein, veggies (the right amount) and a healthy fat - it's very hard for me to get through all of it. Thoughts on how I'm trreating smoothies for this? OH and I do not have smoothies on weekends because I cook breakfast, I'm not on the go, and I can spend my time eating it. Thank you!
  6. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Day 2 yesterday, Day 3 today ~ yes, still trucking along ... just really productive in other areas right now ~ in my journal, not so much. Flooring is officially done in the hallway, living room, and giant (long) dining room. I have one (sadly, the master) bedroom left to do. Woke up yesterday and today to some sciatica pain that I don't think I've really experienced since I was pregnant with my first child ... in 2001. WTH. Lol. And I realized in that moment this morning: I'm not really happy unless I'm pushing myself. Amy talked about being Type B, and I wondered what it would be like to say that. Sometimes I think it would be nice. But it's definitely not how I'm made. I think about a lot of things I don't have time to post. Lately I've been thinking about labels: Type A / Type B, introvert / extrovert ... etc. I think it can be great to learn more about yourself and to work with your strengths. I also think there are some labels we tend to put on ourselves that can work against us, and perhaps are not entirely true. Black/white thinking rarely proves useful to me. I see many, many shades of gray. I see chains we have wrapped around ourselves, holding us down ... and some of them have been there so long ~ we don't even remember that WE were the ones who put them there. But wait: If I could put it on - that means that I can probably find the key to take it off. I've been saying that to myself more and more lately. It's been good.
  7. Yesterday
  8. SchrodingersCat

Approved Foods Questions

Oh, definitely!! I've done 3 successful wounds and I'm in Australia where you can't buy a single 'approved' item. The stamp of approval is there to make choices easy (and there's been occasions where there's been a whoopsy and thing with the stamp have non-compliant ingredients!), but is no way prescribed!
  9. Amy_Michigan

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

I am totally with you there. Your blood work was so good! I don't know much about blood sugar- you probably know more, but I wonder if it fluctuates based on other things or if it is only based on types of food we eat. Hmm. I'm starting over when my next grocery delivery starts. I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon!
  10. SchrodingersCat

Amy's Log for 2020

Nooo. It's so sad when something turns on you like that. I'm with you on the reset!
  11. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Log for 2020

Day 27/ Reset Day 0 I decided to celebrate today's job offers and broke the rules...had a cheese protein box at Starbucks instead of the egg box I normally get. BIG MISTAKE. My body hates me right now. I had crampy, bad poo and now I feel awful and gross. First, I ate the cheese and fruit and I was and going to leave the crackers, but there was one type of cheese I was very tempted to eat on a cracker, so I ended up eating not 1 but all the crackers that came with the protein box. 4 maybe? They are like a mix of seeds, flax, oats, etc. but also have some wheat flour. Anyway...that decision to eat cheese and crackers was sooo not smart. #regret
  12. Aelfric

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

Wednesday 19th February (Day 13) Thursday 20th February (Day 14) Friday 21st February (Day 15) Saturday 22nd February (Day 16) Sunday 23rd February (Day 17) Monday 24th February (Day 18) Tuesday 25th February (Day 19) Really don't recall what I ate, but I know that a lot of W30 compliant ingredients were eaten, and no non-W30 stuff has been taken from the stash. I've been hit by a downward mood slump every evening, which is not my normal pattern, but it means both ends of the day have been pretty grey in my head. Wednesday 26th February (Day 20) M1: smashed eggs M2: Pineapple (tinned) M3: Chicken and cauliflower curry. I think I've been eating this on a daily basis since I made it the middle of last week. M4: Banana berry smoothie M5: Salmon (tinned) Ex: Scottish Country Dancing.
  13. Aelfric

Bone broth - do I need a pressure cooker?

If you're using the stove top, and you have a large pot with a pasta insert, but all the solids in the pasta insert. It makes removing them at the end a cinch.
  14. SchrodingersCat

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

Hoooooo boy. Here's a wake up. Went and got my blood test results yesterday. Kidney function - great. Liver - perfect (significant because I'm on medication which is high risk for liver issues, and 2 years ago they were high) Blood count - perfect Cholesterol - "Bad" is amazingly good - 3.9! "Good", also amazingly good - 1.6! Given I'm obese, these results are EXCELLENT! BUUUUUUUT (almost as big as my butt) - Blood sugar (MMol/l)... 6.3 - anything over 5.7 is 'prediabetes'. Worse, I thought about it after and the blood was taken in my 3rd week of my last round, where I had had (of course) no sugar, no fruit, no white potatoes, sweet potatoes at 1 meal a day if that. So that's pretty bad. It's been high-ish in the past, too but never over the 6. So I need to stop thinking of this in 30 day sets and in terms of "off" and "on". I need to get this weight off, and I need to really commit to a permanently good diet. My husband is type 1, so I'm very well versed in diabetes diets, and the fact that he eats better than me (when I make his food!) is crazy - why would I look after him BETTER than I look after me? Anyway. I'm working from home today and have a minor medical thing this afternoon, so I'm about to throw lamb shanks in the slow cooker. Mashed cauli on the side. Meal 1 will be eggs n veg, lunch will be my curry.
  15. BabyBear

The Three Weaknesses I Worry About...

Oh Day 3 detox headaches are awful. Anytime I do a detox I would make an infusion of stinging nettles or take magnesium supplement. I find the stinging nettles more effective but either one help reduce the effects of the headache immensely. Just know it is toxins dumping from your body, it will be over in a few days and you will feel so much better and not to mention a brighter focus.
  16. BabyBear

Count down to Feb 1 start date!

If you are happy eating as you have been then you can always do the slower reintro. You would just reintro things as they come up, but that is limiting in that you wouldn’t want to reintro pizza if you haven’t already done a cheese or gluten or even gluten free grain intro before doing pizza because if you react you will not know if it was the crust the cheese or both. If you were at a party with cheese and wine you would pick one or the other to introduce not partake both at the same time if you had not yet reintroduced those. I initially thought I would do the slow roll, but I’m glad I didn’t as I fear if I had done slow roll the gluten would have got the better of my resolve. Gluten definitely posed some ugly cravings and other undesirable results. It took me about 15 days to complete the reintro I learned a lot. I’m continuing on my Food Freedom and I’m really enjoying all the compliant recipes that I am still eating and trying because eating real whole food unprocessed and untainted by unnecessary sugar is becoming my normal way of eating! Every time I ask is it worth my true value of worth it becomes even clearer.
  17. BabyBear

Amy's Log for 2020

I use the unrefined coconut oil in the cooking aisle at Whole Foods, Kroger’s, sprouts whatever. I normally try to get expeller pressed (1st cold press) yay for the job offers. That’s awesome to have your choice. That’s amazing!
  18. I have tried many diets in my life and failed and felt terrible about myself for it. Something about this challenge spoke to me. Like you, I have surprised myself with my discipline! I’m on Day 23 now and yes only 7 more to go! While I’m looking at reintroduction tips, I’m fairly confident that I won’t be going back to my old habits. Will I ever eat sugar? Yes but not all day every day. Will I have pizza? Gluten free but yes I will. You got this!
  19. Relcowgill

Count down to Feb 1 start date!

If there are certain things coming up beyond 30 days that you don't want to be sick for, I'd say it's fine to plan your reintro around it. For example, you can extend the whole30 reset days a couple days longer so that you aren't feeling crappy during a weekend getaway. Also, you can switch up the order you reintro foods to work for you. For example, if you know grains don't bother you, start there first! But remember you'll want to reset between each new food group. Don't stack things. Hope that helps!
  20. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Log for 2020

OMG I am literally freaking out right now. I had an interview on Monday, and another interview on Tuesday... and now I have 2 job offers!!! It is really a confidence booster. SO awesome. I can't stop bragging. Sorry!
  21. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Log for 2020

No, I haven't tried that! I tried coconut oil on my face for a while but I don't think it was unrefined. It is this kind (see picture), which is supposed to be good for skin and nails. It did not improve the inflammation/redness issue I have. It isn't just dry, though...I think I have some kind of skin condition. I will find out more at my dermatologist appointment coming up. I hope the mystery will be solved!
  22. Eyechip

The Three Weaknesses I Worry About...

Day Three... Holy freight train in my head! The Whole30 Timeline is no joke. Woke up feeling like I went to a bachelor party in Vegas. I actually opened my eyes to look around and see if I really WAS in Vegas and if there were strewn tequilla bottles lying around with strangers asleep on the sofa. Phew, I was ok. Glad I read the timeline and know what this is. I made breakfast and am out the door though. It's doable. I got this.
  23. BabyBear

Very Hungry Mommy Food Freedom Journal

Tuesday 2/25 - butter day 2 Today has been a blur. I got up and finished the kitchen and got laundry started then we were out the door for a meeting after I fed the boys. I forgot to feed me, but that is okay because I really wasn’t that hungry. The meeting was at a coffee shop/bakery. I didn’t even bother to look at pastries and cupcakes etc or I may have convinced myself to have special treat that I really did not want. I didn’t even feel compelled to get a tea. It was a good meeting and somewhat productive. Baby started getting fussy right when it was suppose to be over, so it gave me an excuse to excuse myself and off we went to handle a few other errands before headed home. I did tell the boys if they were helpful with baby and on their best behavior I would let them choose a lunch out option today. So I grabbed them their food of choice. My 13DS chose cheap little Caesar pizza. It’s sad when LC starts to smell good and you kind of sort of want to steal a bite. I told myself if I really wanted it I could have some… I decided I really didn’t want it. It is not good enough pizza to be worth it. I really wasnt very hungry this afternoon either but I did eat a banana and some pistachios must have been around 2pm My hubby finally made it home. I was so happy to see him and hug him and plant a big fat wet one on his lips. He was exhausted and had to immediately build a skate and get it shipped off. After he was done at the post office he asked where I wanted to go tonight for our date. I gave him an out as I could tell he was just a shell of himself. So he picked food for everyone and we had a quiet dinner at home and after I pulled out the Essential oils and gave him a much needed rub down to work out some of the stress knots in his muscles. 7:30 M1 - grilled shrimp, potato with organic butter and a little sour cream steamed broccoli We decided to call it a night early after putting baby to bed. I’m glad we stayed in. It was nice to be able to snuggle after dinner while watching a show.
  24. BabyBear

Very Hungry Mommy Food Freedom Journal

Monday 2/24 - butter be good 6:00 Despite not sleeping well I feel energetic this morning. I tried working last night and kept falling asleep. I should have just gone to bed. I had to get items printed for 11DS 4-H presentation. He practiced his presentation and I took it with me for breakfast. His presentation is how to eat spinach and like it by making a green pina colada smoothie. That boy loves food! Breakfast is on the go as I have to get my 13DS to his class an hour away and then back in time for 4-H. Phew busy morning. 7:15 M1 - green pina colada smoothie (1/2c coconut milk, 1 banana, 1 c frozen pineapple, 3 large handfuls of spinach) 12:15 M2 - LO hot beef mashed roast potatoes steamed broccoli with plated organic grass fed butter added to potatoes. Testing out butter to see if it can be a permanent plated fat in my day to day life. Today I feel great a ton of energy no bloating clear skin. So butter is back out and being tested. I plan on adding it into my food and cooking over the next three days to see how my body reacts. I will not have it at every meal but at least once a day to see how I react to just the butter. I will still use a variety of fats day to day because variety is the spice of life and different fats offer different health benefits and flavors. The hot beef left overs were actually really good possibly better the second time around. My 11DS and I polished them off and I’m feeling satisfied happy and full. My hubby will be home late tonight/early tomorrow and he’s taking me out Tuesday night for dinner. He called and asked me out on a date last night. He’s so cute! He gave me option of kids or no kids and I was a little selfish and chose no kids. He will be headed out of town again Thursday so I kind of need my face time as we call it. NSV omg I bought a ladies large belt today because my new belt is too loose in the fit now. I haven’t seen the likes of a ladies large in oh so many years! It is so nice to be able to focus on me what I want out of my food choices and eat those until my stomach and heart is content. No calculating calories, points, carbs whatever. This feels like what imagined freedom would be. My 13DS asked if we would ever have our favorite pizza again, I said yes of course we will. He then perked up and asked “tomorrow?” I replied with no not tomorrow I already have food planned but we will plan a special night in a month or two with us and movies and video games and our favorite pizza. He then asked will you eat it? Or are you just doing that for me because I really want to wait and eat it with you. That boy loves his pizza but he loves his momma more. I told him when we plan our special night I will definitely partake in the pizza with him. (Thinking to myself it will need to be when I don’t have to be anywhere the next day cuz that stuff is gonna make me sick I already know it!). So probably a night in March will be a pizza and game night with my little men. 8:00 M3 cracklin chicken, steamed carrots and air fryer potato wedges. https://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken The chicken was decent but a little greasy and salty for my taste. I’ve never been a big fan of thighs because they are greasier… call me crazy but I love my dry white chicken breast. But hey they were deeply discounted and it was a little something different. The boys enjoyed dinner and it was nice to only cook one meal. The baby destroyed the house while I was cooking. He’s has been lovingly Knick named the Tasmanian devil. He has discovered the possessive pronoun “mine” and he runs around the house collecting all the soft fuzzy blankets yelling Mine Mine while he makes a nest of blankets. He reminds me of the seagulls on Finding Nemo. Now that I have the little one in bed it’s time to do dishes and undo some of his doings. Sigh a mother’s work is never done.
  25. MeredithM20

Start February 10th

So I spent the last two days in a Training Class for work. I can honestly say that since getting past the first week of Whole30 I can concentrate better and my memory has improved. I passed my certification exam! I wanted to celebrate with Champagne...instead I had a bubble bath. I'm tired of the same food -> Eggs, meat, veggies, sweet potatoes. My husband made the menu for the next five days with new recipes he found off pinterest..Hamburger Soup anyone? I'll let you know how it goes.
  26. BabyBear

Amy's Log for 2020

@Amy_Michigan sounds like you are having some great NSV success! Have you tried virgin unrefined coconut oil for a moisturizer? It is amazing especially for skin issues. It also has an spf of 8 making a natural sun screen. It actually permeate to the bottom layers of the dermatitis so it hydrated from the bottom layers up rather than typical moisturizers that draw moisture up from the bottom layers to the top giving an appearance of moisturizing when they actually dehydrate the skin. It takes a few days to build up the layers of moisture through all the skin layers so you will feel like you are applying a lot at first, but once all the layers are properly hydrated you will need very little coconut oil to moisturize your skin. It did wonders for my son’s skin, and my skin for that matter.
  27. BabyBear

Like an Onion

This has me applauding and cheering screaming “YES THIS!!!!!!” I want to save the world, but the best thing I can do for my world is to save me first! This food experiment is about so much more than just the 30 days! I almost feel sad for those who miss that, but what they choose to get out of it is what they get.
  28. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Log for 2020

Here is a picture of my chicken nuggets my husband made for me last night.
  1. Load more activity