All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. MadyVanilla

First Journal

Physical therapy and pain meds were the outcome of the knee surgeon visit yesterday. With a follow-up scheduled in December. I'm not confident about the PT - I exercise, I do yoga several times a week, I ice, take hot mineral baths, do all the things that I should be doing to manage pain. But maybe there's something the PT will teach me that I didn't learn last time I went. Good news - doctor's weigh-in showed I've lost 21 pounds! Another mini off-road: I had a handful of corn chips yesterday with my lunch. I got free chips and guacamole from Chipotle. With that extra, I was stuffed and kind of miserable all afternoon. I'm not sure if it was too much food or the corn. No other noticeable symptoms. I'll try again when an opportunity presents that I don't want to pass up. Day 25 Energy - 9, Pain-0 Exact same menu as day 23.
  4. TrustyMutsi

Reintroduction Day 3 observations...

I didn't add caffeine intentionally. I wanted something to add sugar to and it was the only thing available at the time
  5. SheaRostan

Reintroduction Day 3 observations...

@TrustyMutsi It sounds like you're doing a great job being your own food detective! I love it! I definitely agree drinking caffeine later in the day can cause sleep disturbances, and further more, if you're not really missing caffeine, maybe there's no need to add it back at all. As far as food sensitivity reactions, you're definitely within that window to notice changes. Most people think if they don't feel any different within 15-20 minutes, then that food must not be a problem. I've found that a lot of people first develop symptoms 2-3 days after consuming a problematic food. Keep up the great investigative work!
  6. My first day I reintroduced sugar. I had about 3 tablespoons of sugar with coffee, honey roasted turkey lunch meat with no nitrates, and some compliant snack sausages with cane sugar added. Here's my first mistake. I've only had decaf coffee since starting Whole30, so the caffeine buzz I get wouldn't be mistaken for dragon blood. But on day one of reintro, two out of the three cups of coffee I had, although small, were caffeinated. Now it's two days after the sugar, and this morning I have a slight headache. Headaches/migraines are one of the main things I'm trying to stop with W30, and understand where they come from. But it's hard for me to know if this headache is from the sugar, or the coffee. I also didn't drink much water yesterday, but I've had other days I didn't hydrate and felt fine. I'm frustrated with myself for drinking the caffeinated coffee. The headache could also come from pistachios. I had more than a handful last night, and I remember that I had a similar mild headache the last time I had a lot fo pistachios plus almond milk. So I have it narrowed down to 4 things: Sugar, caffeine, dehydration, or pistachios. In the past, when I've had headaches after a day of no coffee (and this is after MANY days of coffee), I'd have some and the headache would go away. Well, this morning I had a cup (one table spoon of coffee grounds) and I still have the mild headache. So maybe I can cross caffeine off the list? Besides, I only had two cups two days ago. But I also had trouble sleeping that night, so maybe I had too much after all, or it's just that I drank it too late in the day. I'm drinking a bunch of water now to see if that helps. If it does, dehydration might be the culprit after all. Something interesting I've noticed is that I seem to have issues 2 days after eating problematic foods, not the next day. My first day of Whole30 I felt fine, even though I was eating like total garbage for a LONG time before I started. But the SECOND day of W30 was one of my worst headaches ever. Same in this case. Monday I had lots of sugar and the caffeine. And again 2 days later I have a mild headache. I might try to do one more round with JUST sugar and make sure I don't have anything else that could cause headaches, and hydrate, and see what I learn. So far though, I think it might be sugar or pistachios.
  7. W30Redo

Starting October 28

I can start on the 28th.
  8. I had no worries at all, they had olives, pine nuts fats sorted,Rockett and tomatoes veg, chicken and a variety of cold meats. As they also gave out pack lunches i had the salad bar to myself, i even went for 2nds. I have got a headache 2 nights running, drank lots of water and it eventually went, but starting to feel the morning energy burst, also sleeping alot better. getting into the groove now,but i know theirs a kick coming when i least expect it. keep it going , you know it will be worth it.
  9. ShannonM816

Olive Oil Spray

Here's the official guidance on starting over: https://whole30.com/start-over/. It's really up to you.
  10. ShannonM816

Low blood sugar

We would really recommend eating three meals a day, and making them match the meal template. (You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/) This probably should include a meal before work, within an hour of waking up for the day, and then try to space your meals out every 4-5 hours after that. When you get the meal size and timing worked out, it should help you avoid blood sugar highs and lows. When you do something like chicken salad, or if you ever make soup, if you make it in big batches it can be hard to tell how much protein you're getting in each serving. Be sure you're getting enough chicken that if you piled up just the chicken, it would be at least as big as the palm of your hand. If you're not sure, try to add some extra -- maybe a hard boiled egg. Be sure that each of your meals includes some fat. This may be harder to do if you can't have oils, but if mayo works for you, that's a good option. Avocado or olives are also good. Your meals will probably be more filling if you include some starchy vegetables. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are the most popular options, but beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, pumpkin and other winter squashes like butternut or acorn squash, or plantains would also work. Stick to about a fist-sized serving at a time, most people do well with a serving a day, but you can have more if you need it. If you do need to eat between meals, try to have a mini meal with protein, vegetables, and fat, or at least two of the three. Avoid having fruit on its own, it's more likely to mess with your blood sugar levels. If any of the issues you have had in the past are stomach/digestive stuff, keep in mind that many people find nuts and nut butters can cause problems in that area, so you may want to look for other fat sources that work for you and kind of rotate through them so you're not having a lot of nuts every day.
  11. Johanna0004

Olive Oil Spray

Hi! I am newly into my first whole 30 and made a rookie mistake. I didn't read the ingrediants on my olive oil spray, and realized after using it that it has soy. I used it to spray a pan when making scrambled eggs twice. Do I need to start over? Thanks!
  12. Yesterday
  13. I was on day 6, but while I was at work I almost passed out because of low blood sugar, so my manager had me drink some soda. I'm not a diabetic, but it does run in my family and I have trouble with low blood sugar often. Usually I would drink some kind of juice when my blood sugar is low, however, per doctor orders, The only fruits I can have are banana and melons. My Manager told me I need to be eating more food to keep my protein up. I'm not really sure what to do. Per doctor orders, I can't have any oils (they make me sick anyway), so everything I eat is either baked or boiled. I was starting to feel better on whole30, but I am having a hard time getting filling meals in. I work 10 hours a day from 6am-4pm with only ONE 20 min break allowed and no fridge to keep food in, so it has to be something that can be kept in my bag for a few hours. I tend to only get 2 meals because of these hours and end up snacking before bed because I'm Soo hungry. Not really sure what to do. I don't make a lot of money, and tend to eat the same meal several times a week to save money. These are my normal day meals for me Sometime between 8-10am Banana, 2TBS almond butter, 1cup chicken salad (chicken, whole30 mayo 1/2TBS, mustard 1/2TBS, pink salt, pickle, and tomato) served on bed of lettuce OR 1 Zucchini, 4oz mushrooms, 1 chicken breast Sometime between 5-7pm Chicken breast, green beans, (OR Zucchini, or asparagus,) and mushrooms. I snack on pistachios and bananas with almond butter
  14. Neither of these is ok because of the sugar and the molasses. Always read labels, even if someone tells you something is ok. Recipes change, people make mistakes, it's always best to verify for yourself before purchasing and definitely before eating any product. The only products we can definitely say are whole30 compliant are the ones in the Whole30 Approved program (https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/). Obviously there are other products that are also compliant, but you'll just have to read labels to determine which items at your local stores are.
  15. SheaRostan

Tomato Avocado Salad

@Mtnchica This sounds delicious! I can't wait to try this. I have all the ingredients on hand!
  16. SheaRostan

Starting Oct 14, 2019

@RunningForLife We are here to support you! Reach out with any questions or if you just need some motivation and cheerleading!
  17. Jihanna

Did I screw up??

Day 29 out of 30, after which you start reintroducing foods. Personally, I'd consider that to be peanut reintro and take note of everything that could be possible reactions to them, using that as part of my reintro data. Then I'd give myself several days to recover before moving on to my next reintroduction, just as intended. Did you do a full 30 days before moving on with the plan? No. However, most medical elimination diets require you to forgo the list of allergens/foods for at least 21 days (and ideally 28+) in order to make sure your system is cleared out and prepared for testing. So while you didn't complete a full "Whole30", you certainly did remain on the elimination phase long enough to have cleared your system to a point where reintroduction testing is possible. Now, I'm not a medical professional and am certainly not giving medical advice. I'm also only someone who completed a couple of Whole30 rounds, rather than someone who has an official say within this realm. But that said, I think you should be proud of yourself and would consider this a win in terms of being able to evaluate peanuts first, and then follow with other foods/groups that you've been avoiding for the past 4 weeks.
  18. Hi all, I'm on day 2 and I was told (by a friend who did a round) that the Vermont Uncured Turkey Pepperoni sticks were compliant so I grabbed a couple yesterday. Today, I go to eat one and realized I accidentally grabbed a BBQ Beef one. I can't really find anything online to verify if this is okay to eat or not. The ingredients on the turkey and the beef appear to both have evaporated cane sugar, so now I'm questioning whether either are compliant. Can anyone clarify? Thank you in advance! Ingredients for Beef: Beef, Molasses Powder, Sea Salt, Spices, Evaporated Cane Sugar, Paprika, Celery Juice Powder, Cherry Juice Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (Not From Milk). Encased in Collagen Casing Ingredients for turkey: Turkey, Less Than 2% of: Spices, Sea Salt, Celery Juice Powder, Paprika, Evaporated Cane Sugar, Cherry Juice Powder, Spice Extractives, Garlic Powder, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (Not From Milk). Encased in Collagen Casing.
  19. ladyshanny

Did I screw up??

Don't let this dim your pride, you deserve to feel great about yourself even if you make a mistake. Translate this into real world situations. We don't throw down our resignation letter at work because the printer ran out of paper. We don't burn the house down because the windows are dirty. On the whole you did a great thing for yourself and you made a mistake along the way. You're human! Don't beat yourself up - we're not and you shouldn't!
  20. ladyshanny

Starting October 1

Hi @Meliena - all Whole30s are different and we end up with different results. I would say based on your hint of the nut-eating, that perhaps you were following our recommendations more strictly in your first round and are a bit looser in this round? I do know that when I do subsequent Whole30's I have to stop myself from saying "I already know xyz" and specifically re-read the rules and recommendations....and I WORK for Whole30, haha! As far as your period -we generally feel a need for increased calories in the week leading up and of our period which totally explains the nuts. They could very well increase bloating and digestive upset though so although we tell people to go ahead and eat more at this time, that wouldn't be the best choice. You can try increasing your serving of starchy veggies at your evening meal and eating a good serving of fat with each meal for the period-needs.
  21. ladyshanny

Whole30 Approved at Walmart!

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, I will certainly pass this message along!
  22. marsusher

Whole30 Approved at Walmart!

I had a disappointing experience with the BBQ Chicken and Veg bowl today. Not sure who's in charge of quality control, but it boasts 18g of protein and I only had two small cubes of chicken in mine.
  23. Meliena

Starting October 1

We're three weeks in now and compared to my first Whole30 I did in May, the effects are also a little underwhelming. Although I am not hungry between meals anymore, I did notice that my skin didn't clear up as it did last time and I'm also having a harder time falling/staying asleep. Maybe it's because I was eating very unhealthy before the first Whole30, whereas I was eating healthier before this one and my body has just gotten used to it. I did notice in my clothes I'm losing weight and do not have that afternoon slump as much as I used to, so I'll take that! I had a minor setback yesterday and ate way too much nuts before dinner while watching the TV, so I'm looking to remedy that over the next couple of days. I am due to start my period, which might explain my craving, but I made two loafs of banana bread for work without eating any of it (baked and unbaked) so I should be able to control my impulses!
  24. I love tarragon. It sounds a little weird but it pairs really well with brussels sprouts. I usually cheat by steaming them a little then put them in a skillet with browned butter ghee and add either tarragon or herbs de provence to them. I bet it would be good in those shrimp patties; I'll have to do that. I do make my own ghee. I can get Kerrygold butter at Costco so I try to keep ghee, browned butter ghee and MJ's better butter stocked up all the time. Those are items like roasted garlic or roasted bell peppers. If I have to cook something before I can cook something, I won't do it so I try to keep a stash of pain-in-the-butt ingredients ready to go. I have never cooked a tri-tip either and I don't know if I've ever eaten one. I think they're much like brisket in that you have to braise them low and slow and I think they're cheaper, too. I used Christmas lima beans for my soup. They're big limas and are mottled red and white and are very pretty. Yep, NomNom's Instapot mushroom soup is the one but I don't have an Instapot. I just adapt it to cooking on the stove top. I've only made it once but it was really good. Do you have access to an Asian grocery store? I got a big bag of dried shiitake mushrooms for a decent price (not Whole Paycheck kind of price) so I can make NomNom's magic mushroom powder. Of course, I've had the mushrooms for about a year and still haven't gotten around to it... I get a little OCD about cabbage, too. I pick out the thicker pieces and re-slice them so everything is about the same size. For kraut and slaw, I cut it by hand if I just need a little or I whip out my mandolin if I need a lot. I do like it pretty thin, kind of in strings. I got an inexpensive Benriner mandolin (and Kevlar gloves!) a few years ago and it does a great job. My only complaint about it is that the thickness of the slices is set with two tiny screws and there are no measurements so it's trial and error to get it the way you want. For really big jobs like slaw for Hoedown when I have to shred several heads, I have a ridiculously gigantic mandolin- about three feet long- and will break out that big daddy. I would think that pre-shredded cabbage would be fine as long as it didn't any kind of sneaky preservative on it. The only problem that you might run into is that it will be drier than freshly shredded so you might have to add a little brine to make enough to keep it all covered. Of course, that can happen with fresh cabbage, too. Some of the storage cabbages do not have a lot of moisture to them. The thinner the cabbage is sliced, the quicker it's ready. I like mine fermented about three months. At that point, it has softened but still has texture but there is no right or wrong. It's ready when you like the texture and sourness of it. No snacks yesterday. I could probably have included some more vegetables but it was a good day. I slept pretty well and I got some movement in this morning so I feel good. Here's to your stomach wobbling less!
  25. How's your intake of starchy veggies (sweet/potatoes in particular)? Also, adding more fat can help with feeling satiated and curb the cravings (when in doubt, add half an avocado or some mayonnaise to what you're eating!). I did my last whole30 while nursing a young toddler and even then I needed like 3 1/2 meals a day so if you're supplying all the food for your baby, you definitely need to make sure you're eating closer to 4 meals a day.
  26. Good morning, Irishboy! Your omelette sounds delicious. Isn't that always the way?! Lol I'm sure you'll be fine on the 9th. Hell....we'll be 1/2 way through by that point. I feel like it gets easier once you have a little more time invested to say no to temptations. Good luck at work today & hopefully they have some good choices at dinner. How's everyone else doing on here?? Welcome to Day 2, folks!!
  27. RajinderSingh

Tomato Avocado Salad

Thanks for sharing. I will try.
  28. Got through yesterday with not too many Hiccups, left it too long between Lunch and dinner, a it of a Head ache going to bed, all clear this morning, 3 egg Omelette, with mushrooms,Tomatoes and Olives on the side. Had a green tea, so going for the black coffee now. The Lads have just mailed me to go for a blowout on sat the 9th, you don't hear from them in an age. The will power will be tested that day. Also have to go out of office today to do a promotion with dinner included in a work canteen, that should be interesting, hopefully its a fancy joint with good food...... Keep strong these tests along the way will make this thing interesting.
  1. Load more activity