All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Lorna from Canada

Stomach Pain - Day 3

It's amazing what we learn when we pay attention to our bodies! We're so different in what we tolerate, how we digest, what makes us feel nauseated, what keeps us full. This W30 is an amazing self-experiment!
  3. Today
  4. Lorna from Canada

I'm STARVING!!!

@Jihanna Loving you back sistah!! OMG yes - potatoes are your friend! I've eating more potatoes (sweet and regular) since January 3 than I have in the past 20 years! And fry up some onions! I'm buying them by the 20lb bag now - who knew you could eat fried onions? The world's simplest pleasure! My cousin asked me the other day what I was doing to lose weight and my absolutely honest answer was, "eating like a horse for the first time in my life!" (Then I proselytised on the W30 for an hour so, I may have lost her ) Cheers
  5. Oaklandish1

I’m starting whole 30 tomorrow but...

My boyfriend last night was quick to remind me that he has watched me scarf down the better part of tomahawk steak in one sitting, but generally that was at night after a couple glasses of wine and close to my period! I am really glad I started eating 99% W30-compliant foods last Friday. I felt a bit of the hangover/dizziness stuff on Saturday and Sunday, a day when I was too busy to get in my head about it too much. Today I woke up very late and tired because i had a really hard time sleeping last night! the gut pain/indigestion was too much, but I took some simethicone and my symptoms lightened up after an hour. today will be a challenging one as I am a personal shopping assistant and I have an appointment from 1:30–5, with an hour commute each way. I’m just finishing up breakfast (Eyeroll). Game plan: eat some of my next meal on the train right before my appointment, in hopes of preventing cravings a bit. cram a handful off nuts into my face mid-appointment if I get unbearably hungry, then finish my meal right after, before I get on the train to come home. Dinner will only be 2-3 hours later. Unfortunately I can’t stop in the middle of my meeting to feed so this is the game plan I’ve come up with. Any comments from the peanut gallery? Lol damn I’m so glad for this forum. I have so many questions!
  6. eIissa

Starting tomorrow!

I lost a bunch of weight from 2016 to 2018 through calorie counting and maintained it up until the beginning of this year, when my habits got a little wacky and I began to feel disillusioned with the process, in no small part due to some major life changes. I've contemplated doing the Whole30 to recalibrate my relationship with food for a while now. Recently, I've experienced some GI issues that I suspect are due to my diet, which led me to decide to embark on the Whole30 once and for all. Tomorrow's day 1 - let's do this!
  7. Jihanna

Suggestions for Coffee Substitute?

I'd second the Crio Bru type drinks. I bought myself a sampler pack for Mother's Day, and I've been really enjoying them. I usually add some into my morning coffee so I get a chocolate-y undertone to the coffee itself, but I've also tried a couple of them brewed alone... mixed with just a bit of almond milk, it's quite a nice departure from my usual morning drinks. I sometimes add a dash of cinnamon with mine, also.
  8. ShannonM816

Suggestions for Coffee Substitute?

Have you tried the cacao based beverages like choffy or crio bru? I don't have them real often, but they're a nice change. Don't expect it to taste like hot chocolate, it's not sweetened, it's just brewed cocoa beans, but it's not bad. There was a discussion here on the forum recently about the mushroom based drinks, I don't remember if anyone ever went back and posted an actual review of them or if it was just people asking if anyone had tried them. You might also consider quitting all caffeine at some point and seeing how that affects things. It can be pretty miserable at first, but after a couple of weeks you may be surprised to find that you don't need the morning jolt of coffee anymore.
  9. So much to think about... Maybe "permanent" wasn't the best choice of words. I guess it would be better to say sustainable and flexible and, yes, to the best of my ability but still adhering closely to The Plan- not so much right vs wrong or good vs bad. I've done three rounds as well and I've reaped different lasting benefits from each but it's not a W365, rinse and repeat. I'm having a harder time setting and sticking to my own personal rules that I did to the more rigid W30 rules. After thinking about all of this, I decided that instead of another W30, what I need to do is RIDE MY OWN BIKE and ride it well, according to the rules I have set for myself. Like you (again!), I have been tending to think of it as a weight loss opportunity. What I need to do is think about my portion sizes, the amount of movement in my day and the amount of off-roading I allow to creep in- craft beer, I'm SO looking at you. Mindless snacking and wine-ing come to mind as well. So, last night I had the house to myself and was going to treat myself to one of the little pieces of filet mignon I got as an apology for my meat guy messing up my order. I didn't have any ghee and really wanted that buttery flavor to baste it in but also didn't want to make any because I'd just gotten finished putting up some pickled asparagus and garlic scapes and I was ready to be out of the kitchen. Since I'm not sensitive to dairy products and they don't set off any cravings, I made an executive decision that a little butter was acceptable off-roading for me at that moment. I have a yummy compliant lunch: grilled salmon, guac, kale salad (actually kohlrabi greens salad but it's essentially the same) and a few berries. Dinner will probably be fish cakes. I got some cod a while back and it didn't freeze well but it makes great fish cakes if i chop it up in the processor first. Still thinking... Having a goal helps, right? You have a good one with your end-of-summer hiking trip. I need one. My last one was looking/feeling good for my trip to LA but that obviously didn't motivate me sufficiently; heavy on the self-sabotage there. I think it needs to be fitness-oriented not appearance/weight-oriented. It's good to get out of throwing-in-the-towel mode. As crummy as I felt, that just made me feel worse.
  10. As much as I love coffee, it no longer agrees with me I have severe gut issues and coffee affects my gut and produces brain fog/bloating. I have leaky gut and bottom line is that drinking coffee is very unpredictable, sometimes it's fine but many times lately it just makes me sick. The problem is, that tea just doesn't do it for me! I've tried every tea, and the only tea that I somewhat like is green tea. But it doesn't give me the energy kick like coffee does, and it just doesn't compare to that good coffee feeling you get in the morning! I'm going to try and add MCT Oil to my green tea to see if that helps give me the energy kick I usually get with coffee. I'm also thinking about drinking bone broth in the morning as I know it will probably do wonders for my gut. But it's not as good as coffee.... Has anybody quit coffee and what did you use a substitute? Back when I tolerated coffee, it was a great part of my morning routine and felt so good. Yet I don't seem to have that experience with any other beverage...
  11. MissWendy

Freezer Meals

Rather than 1-container meals, can you grab parts from the freezer during your recovery? I see a lot of recipes for meat dishes that would clearly freeze well. Then for your vegetables I'm finding good grocery store options for frozen veggies, including some that are mixed vegetables, and still compliant. Make some ranch dressing ahead, or whatever for your plated fat. iow - make your meal prep minimal, just not one-pot.
  12. The honey in the beef stock would make that non-compliant, so the yeast extract wouldn't even matter at that point... but as you said, at least it's easier for you to get the makings of a homemade beef broth!
  13. Update - turns out the secret handshake is to look for "Cooking Stock", not "broth". And still read. Swanson Cooking Stock - Chicken appears to be 100% compliant, the beef only theoretically compliant not so much clean. But - their beef stock - has that Yeast Extract. Fortunately, I just need chicken for now. And it's easier to get beef bones for making stock than to get chicken bones without roasting a chicken.
  14. LindsayO

Candida-Help!

This is super helpful. Thank you LadyShanny!
  15. Jihanna

I'm STARVING!!!

I seriously love you for stuff you say, Lorna! Really, though, I agree with everything you posted here. @Tristan1308 In addition to what the ladies ahead of me suggested regarding fat to achieve satiation, I'm going to suggest that you consider putting some carbs on your plate in the form of starchy vegetables. It took a ton of experimentation during my W30 but it became absolutely clear that without a starchy vegetable at breakfast (think along the lines of half a baked potato diced up in my frittata, a handful-sized portion of sweet potato mash, or a quarter of a small acorn squash), I couldn't make lunch happen more than 3 hours after my breakfast... I just wouldn't make it. While breakfast might not be the best time for you personally, and I can see that you're a LOT more physically active than I am, just remember that neither carbs (like starchy veggies) nor fats are your enemy in Whole30... we need ALL the macros (protein, fat, carbs) to achieve a healthy balance on this journey, and some of us need to boost one or two specific macros compared to others in order to find our personal best. Don't let the traditional dietary "wisdom" make your Whole30 experience become a journey in miserable hunger, because it really can be an awesome ride.
  16. MissWendy

VEGAN DAY 1 NOOB - NEED HELP

I'm also new, but I can totally answer this. You're not taking in enough fuel, and too much is sugar. It's compliant sugar, but it's still carbohydrate - which turn to sugar in your body. Prunes, clementines, sweet potatoes - that's three things that your body turns to sugar pretty quickly. Even though sweet potatoes are a "vegetable" and compliant, they're a starchy vegetables. All fruits have naturally occurring (compliant) sugar, but it's still sugar - hence the "occasional fruit" part of the program. Fat and protein take longer to digest, giving you more sustained energy, fewer peaks and valleys. Yet a see precious little protein. If I google "how much protein in a handful of almonds" I find that 10 almonds is 2.5 grams of protein. You need 15-19 grams of protein per meal bare minimum, from what I understand (ask a Doctor, of course). I doubt if you add up everything in this meal that you'll be even halfway there. Lots of things have a little protein, so it is possible to get there as a vegan, but you gotta be strategic and eat lots! For instance, a whole sweet potatoe - 1.6. It's "only" 1.6, the only's can add up. Other more experienced may think differently, but if you're "hangry", your hungry and deprived. Feed yourself! You look like you've got the vegetables well covered. I'd add more protein and more fat. Whether that's more nuts or what - is for you to decide. But up front in the beginning here, do a little research into just how much protein is in what, so that you're non-meat cobbling together adds up to enough. And don't be afraid of more fat for fuel and satisfaction. You're not where near close to any danger zone with the fat. I've discovered the joys of cashew and almond butter. Slather that on carrot sticks and you have lots of chew and lots of fill-er-up. Others have mentioned pumpkin seeds etc - that can be mixed into things (so you don't feel like you're eating all the same-same). btw - for conversion to sugar in your body, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes (ie, take longer) and have more vitamins - so good on you for that choice.
  17. Jihanna

Preserves...

I would go with making my own, unless you're 100% positive of the ingredients in your fruit-only options (meaning no hidden sugars like the sucralose in Smucker's "No Sugar Added" line of preserves). https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/no-sugar-apricot-jam/ This looks like it could be pretty easy to make, and even split down into a smaller batch... although the recipe says jam, the difference between jam and preserves is generally the size of the fruit pieces in it (i.e., jams have smaller bits and preserves tend to be chunky), and the pictures on this make me think it probably has more of a preserves-type chunkiness to it (or easily could, depending on your own preference). The idea of doing a simple apricot puree could work, too, unless the recipe specifically needs a bit of the gel from the preserves. You could possibly achieve that by adding in some natural gelatin (or agar agar, as a vegan option)... again, just make sure of ingredients, since packets of gelatin and agar are easy to use but do tend to have some kind of sugar trying to hide out.
  18. MissWendy

VEGAN DAY 1 NOOB - NEED HELP

First - imho, you're talking about such a restrictive program, you should get some medical guidance. I'm new to this program (day 3), but not new to nutrition or the repercussions of deficiencies. A google search provides a variety of recommendations for protein intake. I see no recommendations lower than 46 grams a day. And I've had recommendations up to 100! There are some pretty good free on-line calculators that would let you know for sure how much you're getting, which can help if you're cobbling your protein together from multiple sources. I used to use Sparkpeople.com, which let's you track any nutrients you need or want to track. B12 for vegetarians for instance. Someone mentioned mushrooms as a protein source. Not only do you wish to exclude them, but there's not a lot of protein in mushrooms. Most are 2-3 grams per cup. So for non-meat sources, definitely check by specific food and the specific variety of that food. Some dairy products are higher than you'd think, and some nuts are lower than you'd think. A little homework will let you stay in charge and be healthy!
  19. Lorna from Canada

I'm STARVING!!!

I have 50 years of dieting experience behind me. I've lived throught the Great Snackwells Fat Free Cookie rush of 1991. My whole adulthood nutrition belief system was indoctrinated with "FAT is BAD". It's been really hard to cook with fat and plate fat since I started W30 but, I wanted a whole hearted effort so I did it. Ghee, olive oil, coconut milk, avocados, olives, crispy salmon skin, nuts... eating them. I haven't been hungry since week 2 of my first W30. Eat the fat.
  20. Lorna from Canada

Oh my, I just read this. I have a cellar of triple digit wines purchased at retail not restaurant prices... Hubs says we can sell it to fund our retirement but I'm hanging on...
  21. Thanks guys. The "inner web" seems to think "chicken flavor" is just concentrated chicken. So ahead of having time to cook a chicken (and then make broth...) - I'm going with the one that's got "natural chicken flavor". And - I'm on this originally to try and deal with headaches. So I do believe you are right that whether yeast extract is strictly forbidden or not, steering clear of any glutamate is the ticket here.
  22. Babsie95

Preserves...

It might be ok since it is an all fruit version and being used just to add a bit of sweet to a savory dish, but why not just puree some apricot and add it in the same amount it calls for preserves then it would still add the sweet apricot flavor and would remove the question of compliance...
  23. Dawn725

Preserves...

I have a recipe chicken calling for apricot preserves, is that compliant? I would use the fruit only options, no added sugars. Thanks.
  24. Lorna from Canada

@Oaklandish1 WSET level 3 here so you and Schrod totally get it! Since my first W30 and all of this wine drinking soul searching and gnashing of teeth, I've come to the conclusion that I used to drink way too much and I'm glad I've stopped. Your frittata looks amazing. I could probably eat half as I have a big appetite I find that I've learned to relax into food since I've been on the W30. If I want to eat a lot, I do. I stop when I am full. I've spent my whole life battling food and restricting myself and counting points and calories and grams of BS and now, I feel very strongly like I've made a truce with food and my body. I've lost about 20 pounds since January 3 eating more food than I thought possible. I'd say if you're full, stop eating regardless of what the template says - no sense adding a new food battle to the table. At the same time, I think the template is designed to maximize access to the nutrition our bodies require so, I'd be curious to know if eating significantly less than what the template recommends would have an impact on that? Someone smarter than me in that area would know. Keep at it - I felt more terrible in the first 2 weeks than great but it was worth it to get to where I am now!
  25. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

So tomorrow is the Biggest Morning Tea to raise funds for the Cancer Council, and work always has a baking competition. I love to bake, and people expect special things. So I just made Raspberry Cheesecake Triple Choc Brownies... without licking the bowl, the spoon, the beaters, my fingers.... now the house smells like hot chocolate and raspberry. Agony!!!
  26. Lindseydalton

Encouragement please!

Cravings can be so hard, especially at night! Honestly, when they happen to me I'll go to bed early. If I'm not sleepy tired yet I'll do my bedtime routine then read in bed awhile. The tea is something great to try as well. I'll usually do a sparkling water. Or just find some other way to distract yourself Hang in there!! You've got this
  27. Lindseydalton

Encouragement please!

If 30 days seems too daunting start small, like a 7 day reset. It's very possible that after 7 days you'll be feeling better and want to continue. Also focus on your mindset. Sometimes that's what holds me back! I tell myself, "I eat healthy, I am a healthy person" rather than "I'm trying to eat healthy, I'm trying to be a healthy person" besbest of luck!
  1. Load more activity