All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 27 cont We had to take my hubbys truck to the big city to drop it off for a repair. So we decided to make it a semi date night. Before we left I got dinner made for the boys and got the baby fed. I am finding part of my issue is I put things in my mouth mindlessly. It’s like I’ve been stuck in the Duldrums from the book The Phantom Tollbooth and the Whole 30 is helping me escape by thinking because obviously thinking is what is required to escape the Duldrums. I keep catching myself going to be mindless and I feel like Tock the watch dog is yelling at me “Think! Think! Think!” I’ve been wandering around in a fog of thoughtlessness and the less you think the deeper you go and the harder it is to think. The good news is it just takes one thought then another and another until you are clearing the fog and escaping the Duldrums. Thinking is hard work but the more I do it the easier it becomes and the more capacity for thinking I have. I keep worrying now that surely this whole 30 thing can’t be this easy I must be goofing it up somehow, but no it was hard and required most of my thoughts in the beginning because it was so very new. I’ve found a rhythm to it now and keeping compliant foods on hand has made it feel easier this past week. It’s still work, but not as daunting as it was in the beginning. 9:00 M3 - grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, mixed green salad with carrots tomato egg olive oil and lemon juice. We went to one of our favorite places mainly because we knew they had large booths and I had a hunch that baby was going to sleep through our dinner, and he did. The waiter thought I was crazy when I asked for olive oil and lemons for my salad. With a little salt and pepper it made for a fresh tasting delicious salad. We enjoyed our meal. I stopped when I was full eating only half the chicken breast it was huge two Palm sizes. My hubby was concerned it wasn’t good. I assured him it was I was just full and didn’t need to eat anymore. Learning to stop because I’m full and satisfied is still a little foreign to me but it’s becoming easier to do.
  3. W30CoachAmyLouton

Day 24 ... And Loving It!

Michael and Sara, I did my first Whole30 with my husband (then boyfriend!) and it was such a gift to share eating whole nourishing food together. Seven years later, it is one of our closest bonds. What a gift you have in each other. I am so happy for you to hear how much you are embracing W30 and making it your own by adding activity that works for both of you. You didn't ask any questions (sounds like you two are good planners), so I will just wish you well as you head toward your reintroduction.. If you have questions or more awesome, inspiring thoughts or insights, come back and share!
  4. BabyBear

Like an Onion

Wow yes sounds like you are in need of designing your own reset to really determine the foods giving you such issues. Definitely check out the food freedom book as it teaches you how to create your own reset of if the whole 30 doesn’t work for you and your dietary needs. It even has a section on doing a reset with low FODMAP foods
  5. W30CoachAmyLouton

Vegetarian New to Whole30

Hi, VLF! I was struck by your post and how INCREDIBLY open-minded you sound. In the world of food, people are often all in in one camp or another, and that doesn't always best serve people. If I read your post correctly, you do eat some animal products (eggs?) and you are looking for "the benefits that are being described," and the big question for you is will you have the same benefits while keeping to your vegetarian ways? The short answer is: most likely, you will not. And that is because meat is more nutrient dense (bioavailable nutrients) and satiating than plant foods. That being said, can you do a vegetarian Whole30 and gain benefit? FOR SURE! The questions I want to ask: why have you chosen a vegetarian way of eating? How has it worked for you? What specific benefits are you looking for by doing a Whole30 (your why)? Whatever you decide, you sound like the kind of person who is well prepared and thoughtful and ready for this "self experiment."
  6. Hi everyone, I recently had some ultrasounds done and I found out that I've got a complex ovarian cyst, a uterine fibroid, along with some other stuff. As you can imagine, I'm feeling a little uncomfortable (literally and figuratively) and want to do whatever I possibly can to take care of myself and help the situation. I'm wondering if anyone has seem improvements with this type of thing through doing the W30? Thanks in advance, Shannon
  7. Today
  8. ultrarunnergirl

Lots of Energy but Dark Circles?

I haven't heard of anyone reporting this before. How's your sleep quality and quantity? Are you turning off screens at least 1 hour before bed?
  9. Viking2

Aquamin

No added sugar. The ingredients are as follows: Freeze-dried Coconut Water, Freeze-dried Pineapple Powder, Organic Mango Powder, Aquamin. Thats it
  10. heb2014

Anew in Arkansas - Round 2

Day 16 (1/27/2020) M1: breakfast casserole + coffee w/ almond milk + another cup of coffee (black) at work M2: cauliflower soup w/ a spoonful of coconut oil added (had one left over that I had frozen; honestly, I'm glad it's gone - it was good, but a little bland unless adding something to it) M3: leftover shepherd's pie Really wanted a Coke yesterday at work. I wasn't feeling my best (headache that was coming and going yesterday).
  11. Chalk up one successful, compliant frog cook-up! There are more in my future, for sure, though! I had to tell someone yesterday that her frog was smaller than some of the others and was going to have to wait. Spring is prematurely springing here, too. The daffodils are about 6 inches high and everybody's worried that they'll freeze and die if we get real winter weather. So far the forecast is cold but pretty reasonable (highs in the mid 40's and lows around freezing) so maybe we'll get lucky. This weekend might be seed starting time but I'm wondering if I should wait until after our trip to LA for the family wedding. I've dropped the ball on it the last couple of years but I'm going to make it happen this year. I think we're going to try spacing our tomato plants out a bit more this year, 4 feet apart instead of 3. Theoretically, it should make it easier for us to get in there and the increased air circulation should keep the plants healthier. After last year's bumper crop, it won't be a catastrophe if our yield is down so it's a good time to experiment. I can't believe it's already time to get it going again- and then I remember it's only January! lol That's great that your knee held up so well on such a long day; it sounds like you're doing a good job listening to it. My foot...funny you should ask! It's great. But. My other foot, which is the one I tend to have a problem with, started acting up yesterday. It hasn't flared up in a long time even though I sometimes get a little twinge out of it. That's' the foot that made me switch to barefoot shoes! It hurts the most when I walk and flex my foot up but feels better today. I'm not sure why it started acting up; I've been pretty easy on it the last few days and I didn't even do my morning mobility work yesterday. I opted to wash the cigarette stink from the party Sunday out of my hair instead of moving and figured I'd make up for it in the afternoon. I was able to get on the rowing machine and went a little further and a little longer than last time so that was good. I stretched a lot this morning and it's starting to feel better but I'm trying to be very careful and pay attention to what aggravates it and what doesn't. Unfortunately, not moving is what feels best. Spaying time already! I'm sure they'll come through it with flying colors and it sounds like you have a nice plan in place. Enjoy your time off and some relaxation while the babies recover. I just got some epsom salts so I can have a nice soak from time to time. Now I need to get some eucalyptus EO to go with it. What was that oil combo you were using? Was it lavender, orange and rosemary? My mom comes up next week for a visit and I want to make it all about self-love and care, including a lot of movement- I'm thinking spa week! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can get outside. I want to take her on the rails-to-trails trail here since it's flat and easy but I also want to challenge her a bit and take her on a real hike. It's something she's never done and I think the short trail we did recently in a nearby park would be a good one for her. It's well maintained and has very little altitude change. There are a couple of spots that will be a bit of a challenge for her but I'll let her set the pace and just enjoy the day. I'm looking forward to it and want to get as many chores out of the way as possible before she gets here so we can just relax together. Indeed! I really feel like I'm in the groove with the way I'm eating. I'm rarely straying but, when I do, it's with intention then , like you said, right back on the path. I got my husband a bag of Ghirardelli chocolate squares and there are some plain dark chocolate ones in there. I've treated myself to one every now and then and sometimes I add a little blob of coconut manna. Yum but just one and definitely not every day. I feel like I'm in the groove with action fueling motivation, too, so I'm trying to maintain momentum. All in all, feeling great!
  12. SugarcubeOD

Aquamin

Yes, definitely ok! If the Laird's Hydrate drink is compliant then go ahead but definitely check the ingredients because it seems hard to believe it wouldn't have a sweetener of some sort in it...
  13. stonehouse

Started today, 1/27/20

Hey group, I'm starting today. I've been doing w30s once a year for the past 5 years. I'm just finishing a 30 day yoga challenge, so I feel like this is kind of extension of that exercise. Time to take care of me! Good luck everyone.
  14. Shannon, great advise. We will do more research through google when we’re close to a stopping point. As you can probably tell from our question we are just starting the program.
  15. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Day 27 Feeling okay this morning. Yesterday afternoon I hit a real slump and took a mid-afternoon nap, something I never do. I didn't get anything done after work, and my boyfriend made dinner. This was not an uncommon occurrence pre-Whole30, especially in the winter, but I haven't really felt that way since we started. I'm feeling better this morning, so we'll see how the day goes. M1: Sweet Potato Quiche with Caesar Salad M2: Leftovers or Tuna Salad Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers M3: Out to dinner. - We're meeting a friend for dinner at a local restaurant, Gaucho. It's an Argentinian steakhouse that's very easy to make compliant. Since we're planning to have more beef later in the week, I'll probably get chicken or fish for a little change. I'm think that shrimp might be tasty. That's all I really have to report for today.
  16. VeggieLovesFood

Vegetarian New to Whole30

I'm about to start my first round of Whole30 tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. After reading the book and talking in depth with a friend who swears by this program I'm considering giving up my vegetarian lifestyle to try the program. I've been researching for about a week and my start date is tomorrow, January 29th, but I still haven't decided if I can take the plunge eating meat again. I know there are "options" for vegetarians that somewhat follow the guidelines, but the support article didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about attempting the Whole30 as a vegetarian. I feel like I may miss out on the benefits that are being described and if at the end of the 30 days I'm more or less the same I know I will automatically blame my vegetarianism for my shortcomings. On top of it, I am not a huge fish fan at all so getting my protein only from eggs would get old really quick. I'm going to peruse the vegetarian support forum one last time before I go grocery shopping for all of this meat. I do really wish I could start this program on a more positive note. I keep telling myself that it's only 30 days and if I don't have an adverse reaction to my vegetarian staples during the reintroduction phase then I can switch back to being anti meat.
  17. littleyellowdiary

Tomorrow is my first day!

Good luck @Spunky. I just finished 30 days but have decided to extend to a Whole60 and really focus on trying not to snack and really listen to my hunger cues for these next 30 days. Looking forward to joining you on the journey!
  18. SchrodingersCat

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

Had a handful of slivered almonds after dinner. First few days are always harder to not go snacky, and I'm also being less stringent on that this time. I'm doing this for migraine purposes, not so much for breaking bad food habits or anything.
  19. SchrodingersCat

Tomorrow is my first day!

Good luck! I'm day 1 of round 3 today, W30 literally changed my life last year, put an end to chronic migraines which caused permanent vertigo. But, as happens, I slipped further and further and ended up back where I started, vertigo and weight gain included. Remember to journal how you're feeling, it makes it so much easier to be able to go back and really appreciate the differences.
  20. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Thanks @BabyBear ~ no, I have not read Food Freedom. I didn't even know about it. I've been out of the Whole 30 loop for some time. This really, really is like an onion for me with so many layers ... and, as I'm trying to get back to "A Whole 30" (which, to be honest, I'm not sure is ever actually going to happen) -- I am remembering a lot of reasons why Whole 30 food can get so complicated/frustrating for me. I have solidly nailed down that I feel much better sticking with low-FODMAP foods. Then, you can get into the specifics of that -- perhaps I have a problem with polyols, but not some of the others, for example -- but that picking apart, observing and documenting, I have not done. I finally learned about histamine intolerance in the past couple of years, and man ... that was a lightbulb moment. So may dots were suddenly connected for me. I now have zero doubt that this is an issue for me, as well. It's a tricky one ... and I've done a lot of research on it. So there are many things that are allowed on a Whole 30, that are just not okay for me. They just aren't. An example: I'm not 100% sure if V-8 juice is okay or not, but I bought some cute little cans at Aldi yesterday, and thought it would be fun. I grew up on V-8 and I hadn't had it for a very long time. I grabbed one today and took it to work with me (I know, great lunch ... but that's not the point) and I had a histamine reaction like I have not had since I don't know when. Months, at least. My chin was itchy after drinking it, and I had a few hives on my jawline. This lasted for hours. I won't be drinking V-8 again. Anyway ~ I appreciate the book suggestion. I'm falling asleep typing this, so I'll check back in some other time.
  21. Your best bet may be to look up restaurants along your route or in cities you plan to stop in and research them before you leave so you have a plan. Just "between Florida and Michigan" doesn't narrow things down much. If you knew a specific city or town you were planning to stop in, someone here *might* have suggestions. If you check out the downloads available here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/, the dining guide has tips for choosing restaurants and the travel guide has tips for traveling while on whole30. If you're at all interested in packing any of your meals in a cooler to carry with you, this article may be helpful: https://whole30.com/in-the-wild-1/.
  22. Spunky

Started today, 1/27/20

I'm starting tomorrow! I'm officially in perimenopause which, along with some other things, has caused quite a bit of weight gain. Looking forward to feeling better in my skin and my clothes fitting
  23. Hey, this isn't my first Whole30 however, I am believing it will be the first time I will complete is successfully. Healthy eating isn't new to me but stress and many life changes have caused me to fall into a rut with food. Eating too much and making poor choices, I've gained quite a lot of weight and I'd like to get it all back under control. Looking forward to meeting others along the way!
  24. BabyBear

Day 10

You said it yourself, you had already been making changes in your own life, where as his changes were drastic, which is why his results seem more drastic. Don’t discount all the hard work and changes you have seen in yourself just because they were before your whole 30. Maybe think back to when you started making changes and take inventory of your NSV you may find your results are also drastic, you just didn’t notice them due to other distractions. You both are doing great keep cheering each other on.
  25. SchrodingersCat

Started today, 1/27/20

Me! Day 1 of round 3. Early last year, I did my first round to try and combat chronic vertigo which had defied any diagnosis or treatment and was getting to the point I was thinking of stopping full time work. Within 3 weeks of my first round, it was gone. I stayed mostly compliant and did another full round around May but then backslid badly at the rear of last year and now the vertigo is back, so so is W30! I was going to prep on the weekend, but I was feeling crappy and so I did the minimum - made lunches and mayo, but hoping I'll feel better after a week on it and really knock off my food prep this coming weekend.
  26. Yesterday
  27. CNW

Amazon

Can you buy any whole 30 compliant salami pepperoni or other compliant deli type meat on amazon need for a get together that I’m having and me and a couple of other people are doing whole 30 but don’t want have to spend a ton for it
  28. SchrodingersCat

Guess who's back? Round 3 Day 1 on 28 January

OK, here's to day 1! My vertigo is terrible, and I had to get up at 1am to take antacids, and I'm tired and I feel disgusting and ALL of that is why I'm doing this again. Meal 1: 2 poached eggs with spicy kraut Meal 2: 2 Thai curry tuna patties with slaw and peri peri mayo Meal 3: Pan seared red snapper with lemon garlic and dill ghee, green salad and grilled sweet potato rounds
  1. Load more activity