All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Lindseydalton

Freezer Meals

I use frozen broccoli not fresh. Any kind of compliant pasta sauce, marinara included. The broccoli does get mushy but I shred the chicken and broccoli together. It blends right in with the sauce which is a total win for me getting my kids to eat more veggies! Win win!
  3. Jihanna

City BBQ

The good news is that you CAN make your own barbecue, you just need a recipe that's compliant (or can be subbed into compliance). It's not going to taste exactly like the barbecue you can get from a restaurant, or even the barbecue you'd get by adding a 16oz sauce bottle to a crockpot with meat... but my experience with homemade barbecue during Whole30 have been good, and even my family liked it. We used this bbq chicken recipe, though I did tweak mine a bit compared to the original I'm linking... -- coconut oil for browning the chicken (instead of olive or avocado) -- 1 whole large sweet onion in place of 1 medium red onion -- I definitely didn't spring for the BBQ rub from Primal Palate, so just salt, pepper, and garlic powder on ours -- in the sauce, we cut the vinegar by a tad, used plain mustard (instead of brown), plain paprika (not smoked), and extra garlic. *** be sure to double-check your mustard and tomato sauce ingredients! Here's a BBQ sauce recipe from Primal Palate, just remember to check your labels and omit the maple syrup for Whole30.
  4. Today
  5. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Yum, plated fat is lemon garlic tahini on the lamb and veggies. So good!
  6. I hope you all don't mind me writing this down here, I'm trying to keep track of how things are going as I'm sure I'll forget the details by day 30! Apart from one oopsie with sausages (as per my other post), I've been 100% compliant, I will be continuing to day 35 as a consequence but for morale reasons am still calling this day 7 (plus I would be massively surprised if wheat/gluten turns out to be my problem, but I guess you never know). 3 meals per day, only 1 snack out of desperation on a day with an 8h gap between lunch and dinner. Only drinking water, close to 2L per day, with the odd half cup of green tea (maybe once every 2 days). The meals seem to be keeping me full for 5-6h without any problems, though it took some time to get used to the "empty" feeling in my stomach and not think of it as hunger. I'm a chronic snacker usually, and am used to constantly having a biscuit here and a bit of chocolate there, result of stress/habit - one I'm trying to break! I actually feel good! 1. The last 3 days I woke up before my alarm, and actually felt fairly energetic, whereas I usually have to drag myself out of bed and it takes me about an hour to be awake enough to function. 2. I've also not felt weak and dizzy and starving in the mornings the way I usually do (and by usually I mean pretty much constantly since I was a teenager, so we're talking almost 30y here). I've always had to have breakfast ASAP after getting up, and it usually involved something carby. 3. My skin looks much better 4. I haven't been dizzy or light headed even once for the whole week, and that's usually 1-2 times per day occurrence. And no headaches either. I'm mainly crediting the cold turkey break-up with sugar and coke (I was really overdoing both) for the improvements thus far! I'm still getting tired later in the day, but not as crushingly exhausted as I have been prior to W30. The only downside is that I'm pretty sure I've gained weight, and it's not just bloating - all my trousers feel tight over the legs/backside, which is not awesome but I can cope with it for a bit. Am considering reducing my portions slightly as the amounts seem to be working quite well for keeping me full - there are some meals when I'm not really hungry (but eat anyway), unless I've gone over a 6h gap. Looking forward to the next 7 days!
  7. Thank you very much! I felt back to normal by the following morning so tested your theory and ate the rest of the cauliflower mixture for breakfast (without the pesky sausages! ) - similar problem, but a bit less intense, presumably due to a smaller portion of cauliflower compared to the night before. I do love brassicas in general, but have been eating more of them this week than usual. Thank you
  8. SchrodingersCat

Whole30, Take Two

I hear you, I just made butterscotch brownies for work tomorrow and even though I didn't want brownies, per se, the smell is killing me!!!
  9. SchrodingersCat

Change of plans, dinner is roast lamb with roasted veggie medley and sweet potato and pumpkin puree. I'm making butterscotch brownies to take to work tomorrow. The smell is KILLING me, and not licking the bowl/spoon/testing skewer is SO HARD. It's not that I want brownies, but they're there and they smell amazing.
  10. SchrodingersCat

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

May not have been template, but it's compliant, so go you!! I really think the whole diet improving mental health conditions is SO individual. Not to mention that it may get worse before it gets better, especially if W30 is messing with hormones.
  11. Pandora Black

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

So I’ve been exhausted all day, my depression and the Zyprexa haze is kicking my ass. Whoever said the whole 30 improves bipolar disorder LIED. Emotionally I’m not feeling great today. I’ve been pretty grouchy too. It could be my period, my worst episodes come around my period. I haven’t been eating the template very well at all today, just couldn’t. Breakfast was 4 eggs and sweet potato wedges. Lunch was egg salad on romaine lettuce, spaghetti squash Dinner was Greek marinated chicken and a baked potato with clarified butter.
  12. Pandora Black

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

I feel that way about kale. To each their own I love spaghetti squash.
  13. SchrodingersCat

I think it was just my day 7 "ok, we're having all the good food, lets cleanse!" thing haahaa Busy day to day, had to tackle our completely out of control, full of dog poop yard - that was 2 hours and a lot of energy, but it is mowed, trimmed, raked and now looks like... well, it looks like crap because the dog ate the garden, but it's tame crap. Then pulled out bookshelves in the spare room to locate power points behind them and carve holes so they were accessible. Now to go to the hardware store (only the third time this weekend, isn't home ownership a joy?), puck up the laundry and I still need to make something for work bake-off tomorrow, despite not having a functioning kitchen. Lunch: Tuna veggie bake with a couple of dill pickles Dinner: lamb shanks in tomato sauce, steamed veggies
  14. doubledee

Oh no--feel better! I was just thinking your roast pork dinner sounded delicious...
  15. doubledee

Whole30, Take Two

Day 6: Today's biggest challenge was scooping out ice cream to give to my kids and not even licking the spoon. These two small humans and their nutritional (and other) needs definitely complicate things! Aside from desperately craving a taste of ice cream for a while there I seem to be feeling good and chugging along pretty well toward the end of Week 1. Breakfast: Sweet potato hash. Lunch: Big tossed salad with beets for a bit of carb, a hard-boiled egg and a pile of grilled chicken. Dinner: Taco salad leftovers. A few fumes from the proximity of the ice cream Exercise: Walking. Hopscotch with my girls (don't mock--it's actually pretty good exercise!).
  16. doubledee

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

Honestly I always think its sort of gross, so personally I don't think you're missing much!
  17. ShannonM816

Marinade/Dressing

Maybe this one: http://meljoulwan.com/2011/01/25/tangy-goodness-creamy-italian-dressing/ Or maybe a chimichurri: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/07/02/chimichurri-aka-magic-sauce/ -- if you don't have parsley, maybe spinach or another leafy green? Or if you have ghee, maybe a hollandaise: https://www.stephgaudreau.com/easy-paleo-ghee-hollandaise-sauce/ If there's something you wanted to make that called for the balsamic, you might try it and then if it needs to be a bit sweeter to taste right, add a bit of fruit juice or pureed fruit.
  18. Jihanna

Whole 30 Shopping List - Confusing

Like Shannon said, please don't feel like you have to go replace your entire pantry right at the start! What we did for cooking fats was buy a big jar of olive oil and the coconut oil I linked in the other post. I honestly figured I'd cook with the olive oil mostly, but I actually wound up using WAY more coconut oil because I really just like how it works with my foods... I don't know if it's just lighter tasting/feeling or if there's some small bit of flavor added that I enjoy, but whatever the reason it's my preferred oil, hands down. For the rest of it, we did exactly like @ShannonM816 suggested. I was already used to planning meals, because that's how my kitchen had functioned for the better part of the year leading up to my W30, so I just carried that forward... I made a plan for week 1, and we bought what I needed for that plan. Of course, that left us with extra of some things, which could then be carried forward into a new week without me having to buy more of those things, yet. In that way, I kind of built my pantry from the ground up, buying what I'd need as I needed it, and replacing what I ran out of either right away (if I used it often) or whenever I actually planned another meal which called for that thing. For the record, I did buy ghee during my reintro, but I won't be replacing it when I finally run out because I can totally live without it (I just use coconut oil instead when a recipe says ghee). You won't starve -- just figure out a basic meal plan and make sure you've got meats, veggies, and at least one compliant oil. Don't worry about checking ingredients on everything, just make sure to check the stuff you're buying for each specific grocery trip... and once you've got something you know works, it makes it that much easier when you need to replace that item. Slow and steady, and don't over-think it!
  19. AR3825

Post Whole 30/Reintroduction Log

Note: the cereal will be enjoyed with compliant cashew milk so as not to mix groups. I planned this out almost to the letter.
  20. AR3825

Post Whole 30/Reintroduction Log

Reintroduction Day 1: Dairy 05/16/2019 Breakfast 7:00 am scrambled eggs with peppers and cheese, potatoes, sour cream, cholula, nut-pod creamer Lunch 11:30 am GVW30 Rosemary Chicken, Strawberry yogurt Dinner 7:30 pm Roasted chicken thighs, potatoes, coconut cashew sauce, hand packed pint of Braums chocolate vanilla frozen yogurt. Energy 9, Sleep 10, Cravings 8 After breakfast my sinuses started swelling, and mucous built up in the back of my throat. I started getting that bad smell/bad taste sensation that happens with mucous buildup and/or gingivitis. After lunch I brushed and flossed again. It did not help get rid of the bad smell bad taste no matter how deep I gargled mouthwash. My cough came back pretty bad. I ended up documenting the ice cream the next day because, ice cream is one of the things that is really special so I wanted ice cream to be the last thing I did that day. I actually put down everything and removed distractions to eat that pint and it was good until the last spoonful. Reintroduction Day 2: Friday 05/17/2019 Breakfast 7:00 am pepper steak stir fry, cauliflower rice, coconut aminos, coffee with nut pod creamer. lunch 11:40 am GVW30 Rosemary Chicken Dinner 6:55 pm Meat sauce with peppers, mustard potatoes, pistachios energy 9, sleep 6, cravings 4 I woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck that went down through my hand at 3:00am. I haven’t woken up in the middle of the night with that problem in weeks. I was able to fall back asleep easily when I payed on my back which is stranger because it’s near impossible to get comfortable enough to sleep on my back, but it relieves the neck/arm/hand pain. Also it’s noted the ice cream continued to exacerbate that cough I had mostly gotten rid of. My sinuses were still hurting and I was mucous-y. The most significant thing happened that evening. I experienced anxiety and paranoia that I had never experienced in years now. My skin was crawling, I jumped at every sound, and it felt like someone was out to get me, I took an anxiety med which I also have not done in years, but it made it better. Day 3: Saturday 05/18/2019 Sugar by itself (a restart of sorts.) Breakfast 7:00 am meat sauce with match stick carrots, pistachios, coffee with nut pod creamer and a packet of stevia Lunch 12:15 p, herbed chicken thighs dipped in honey, mustard potatoes, pistachios Dinner 7:20 pm pepper steak, mustard potatoes, cholula, pistachios, peaches with turbinado sugar sprinkled on top Energy- fluctuated too much today to rate, sleep 5, cravings 3 cravings got a low score because I really want that bowl of crunch berries I planned on for non gluten grains planned for Sunday but the reaction from yesterday was concerning so I’m doing sugar by itself and then in 2 days I’m going to the gluten free grains. I will get back to the sugar free dairy because ice cream is important, but so is getting my one experimental bowl of crunch berries. The cereal temptation is too strong in this house, but I expressed that this box is the one box with no gluten based grains in the ingredients and we all know how sick I get. As far as the day itself goes, the coffee was grossly sweet. I had to dump it. I got a headache and a stomachache. Stevia is out. At lunch I dipped my chicken in honey. It was delicious. My energy level spiked significantly and then I took a 2 hour nap. I almost never nap. I’m tired and unmotivated, fortunately I have a lot of leftovers and approved microwave meals. My knees are starting to hurt. Everything from the waist down is kind of sore. I don’t feel any anxiety, just kind of exhausted. I really just want to get this process over with because I’m tired of feeling like hot garbage, but there are definite things on the list I need to test. Corn tortilla chips also, rice, beans, and peanut butter. I feel like the peanut butter crunch had less ingredients but it was combining legumes with the corn/oat flour. The breakfast cereal is important because on occasion I like to eat it with my Saturday morning programming. I know I could choose “better cereal” but “better cereal” and the cereal I want to enjoy on occasion are two separate things. Unfortunately I have to go through other steps to get back to the cereal experiment because of the dairy incident.
  21. SchrodingersCat

City BBQ

Yup, looking at that menu I can pretty much guarantee there isn't a meat on there that isn't rubbed or marinated in something non-compliant. BBQ tends to utilise a lot of sugar for richness of flavour.
  22. SchrodingersCat

Air Fryer

I was thinking aboit buying an air fryer, until I realised my trusty benchtop convection oven does the same thing, while being big enough to do a whole pork roast. So good! I use it for potatoes, roasting veg, cooking roasts, lamb chops, crispy skinned chicken.... we use it a LOT.
  23. I’m making this log to go over my reintroduction process. I’m pretty sure I already messed it up but I’ll share my journal entries so far. Thank you all for taking the time to read and help me out in this process and answering my questions.
  24. ShannonM816

Do I HAVE to re introduce gluten?

No. If you are going to mostly avoid it going forward anyway, and you're pretty certain it makes you feel bad, you don't have to reintroduce it.
  25. DonnaGail

Thank you, Jihanna for clarifying this for me. It was getting very confusing trying to understand what is ok and what is really NOT ok. You have helped me tremendously. I am wondering now how well I will be able to refill the pantry. Looks like I might starve! I suppose setting about 4 hours aside to go grocery shopping and looking at 'ingredients' is in order. :-) So glad a can still use a splash of cranberry juice in my water, but I need to start buying regular and not diet 5 calorie. Thanks again!
  26. Pandora Black

Pandora’s Whole 30 log

OMG! I just put on a pair of leggings that were way too small on me before I started the whole 30 and they fit! Obviously I haven’t weighed myself but I must have lost something significant to have gone down a whole size!!!
  27. ShannonM816

I think @Jihanna answered everything you were asking about, but if there's something else, let us know. I did want to say, you don't have to buy every single thing on the grocery list right away. You can meal plan some meals and just buy what you need for those meals, then add a new ingredient or two in a week or two. It is absolutely okay to keep things simple. Some people love coconut aminos, some don't think they're worth it, and you can definitely live without them. Even recipes that call for them aren't usually based on them, you're just adding some for flavor, and you can skip them and maybe add a little more salt or other seasonings. You can end up spending a lot of money trying to buy everything, and then end up with stuff you don't use, so try to keep things simple at first.
  1. Load more activity