All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Hello, I have been following the whole30 for 47 days now and have gradually been working towards the AIP diet. I gave up eggs four weeks ago, nightshades/seeds two weeks ago, nuts two days ago and will now be giving up coffee. I have Hashimoto's and was experiencing extreme fatigue, body pain, swollen lymph nodes, and a rash on my hands an mouth. I noticed an improvement in my energy, pain, and mouth rash after a few weeks on the whole30. Unfortunately my hand rash has gotten worse and my dermatologist said it looks like psoriasis and fungal infection. The lymph nodes in my neck have not gone down, and I am not sure what these are related to. I still experience the fatigue and pain after physical strain, so the underlying problem is still present, but fortunately decreased. I have also been removing household and personal products with possible chemical triggers. I am hoping the AIP diet will help with the rash, exercise intolerance, and maybe even the lymph nodes. I am wondering if anyone here has had skin problems get worse on the Whole30 while other symptoms improved and if there could be a dietary reason for this (Something lacking? Increase of something?) I am also wondering if anyone has any experiences with chronic swollen lymph nodes and the Whole30 that they could share. And if you started the AIP after the Whole30, was it helpful? Thank you!
  3. Yesterday
  4. KTH1010

Starting my Whole30 Monday

I'll join you! Really excited to start another round.
  5. ladyshanny

MCT Powder

Sorry, no. The corn ingredient puts it off-plan for Whole30.
  6. bartajordan

MCT Powder

I use this MCT Oil Powder from the brand Quest Nutrition as a milk/cream substitute in my coffee. Not sure if this is Whole30 compliant. I've attached the ingredients list. Can someone assist me with this?
  7. bartajordan

Starting May 1!

My name is Jordan and I'm starting Whole30 on May 1st! I am beyond thrilled for this food journey. I decided to start whole30 (with the push of my awesome mother ) after struggling with digestive issues for the last year. Little did I know that there are SO many MORE benefits to Whole30, and I can't wait to experience them and feel great!
  8. Lorna from Canada

SchrodingersCat doing the thing diary!

No Momma here so nothing non-compliant to eat in my house. Day 3 of W30 v2.1 - I shall be on the look out for errant legumes... Hoppy Easter - hope you enjoyed a lovely autumn weekend. Cold rain here - ugh. We snugged up in our Airstream and put together a jigsaw puzzle. Peace Schrod!
  9. My wife and I started whole 30 about a year ago. We were _very_ rigorous about it the 1st 6 mos. 2nd 6 mos not so rigourous but still much less sugar than we previously ate, and still no wheat/gluten and generally much lower refined carb levels. We really liked the 2 eggs for breakfast (and sweet potatoes) plan, but I worried about the cholesterol. Also, generally our meat intake was higher that it had been (although the majority was not beef). However, science rules, so we had an NMR lipo screen done and we both came back with significantly higher cholesterol, TC about 15% higher. That's a lot. That's a lot for a multiple year increase, it's really a lot for just 1 year. I'm still sorting through the data to figure out how bad the news really is, since the expanded range of data you get on an NMR lipo is going to take me a while to get through and understand. So, trust, but verified. Eating the extra eggs (and extra meat really) is not a "don't worry about it", sort of thing. Go have your cholesterol tested, and track it. We're going to drop the eggs and I'll report back in 6 mos, and we'll see what happens...
  10. Lorna from Canada

W30 v2.1 - Day 3

I guess that, because I didn't stray far or often from my W30 rules after my first one, this time around is easier automatically. However, I have noticed a few things: After the great "chickpeas in babganoush" fiasco (7 days of W30 v2.0 wiped out), I went to Saratoga Springs, NY for a work event and managed to EATT including 2 glasses of wine both nights. I was already hyperanxious about the events that were swirling around me at this work event (it was crazy and someone ended up quitting in a dramatic fashion!), I figured a little wine couldn't hurt. Interestingly, it wasn't that great of an experience. I returned home to Hubs for our first non-jet lag evening together in 11 weeks and we shared a bottle of wine - last wine for 30 days since I was starting my W30 on Friday. What's interesting to me is how much I craved wine on that 4th evening - like, totally wanted it and was ready to throw in the towel on my 2nd W30 so I could have a glass. I had to do some significant soul searching (and recall of what a wine-free life has felt like and what wine does to me at 3AM!) - but YIKES. Holy Bat-mother - that was as intense a craving as I have had since Day 1 of W30 on January 3. I know wine is addictive and I don't use it as a medicator (okay, maybe a little in Saratoga Springs...) but, wow - that was intense. I persevered - put some ice in my extra large compliant almond milk and powered through. The next evenng was considerably better. I'll be fine here on forward but - wow. The other interesting thing is that it is Easter and the shops are filled with treats. My colleague gave us all a giant bag of Lindt chocolate treats as we were leaving Sartoga Springs - including a large, gold foil wrapped bunny. Nada. No urge or inclination whatsoever. I left my bag for the hotel cleaning staff wishing them a Hoppy Easter and left without a second look back. Living sugar free is amazing. Okay - that's it. Day 3 is underway and I am feeling back to what I now consider my new normal after suffering from the EATT craziness in NY - gut pain, constipation, heartburn - I attribute it to dairy (so much cheese!) and soy - 2 things I didn't reintroduce after my last W30 because I just knew it wasn't going to be good. Here's to successful label reading (erg) and full, satisfying meals!
  11. Rawrsala

Starting April 15

I'm on day 7 now and I'm feeling pretty good! Day 4 was the hardest for me. Like REALLY bad. All i wanted was a sweet snack while my husband and I snuggled watching tv-- but I didn't cave! I've been eating sweet potatoes more so than any other potatoes. They are healthier for you and i LOVE basically all versions of white potatoes, so I figure breaking that habit is a good idea too! I have a wedding to go to on Day 20, which is going to be the hardest day I'm assuming. I feel good about my body right now though! I've always been extremely hard on myself about my appearance-- whether I've been 115 lbs or 150 lbs. I'm at the high end right now and I feel SO much less bloated. I've been doing an exercise program in conjunction with the Whole30. I've found that having some sort of food prepped is the only way I've survived this past week lol How is everyone else doing?
  12. ShannonM816

I’m sick....

There are throat coat or sore throat teas, they might help. My grocery store carries at least one brand of them, and I think the local health food store has some others.
  13. Loyal Leslie

I’m sick....

I know honey is “sugar” but my voice is gone and I’m exhausted with nothing else working to soothe my throat. I am expected to sing for Easter. Give me something I can use for my throat that is compliant please. If not I’m going to have to grab a bag of ricola cough drops and pour honey in my hot tea like I did before so I can make it through the day
  14. Fit4Me

Starting April 1

Hi guys! So I can’t believe it’s Day 20 already! Went to bed last night and this morning with a raging headace. Ate a good breakfast of protein and fat and felt better almost instantly. 10 days to go before I find out what makes my body tick.
  15. ladyshanny

Congrats on coming back and welcome!
  16. Many (many!) of us tend to stick to a mostly Whole30 framework after we've done our reintros because there are foods that make us feel less than fantastic. It's such a unique result for every person, there's just no possible one outcome. Congrats on figuring out what does and doesnt work for you!
  17. Last week
  18. rrsu

Nespresso

To be fair, this one doesn't actually taste like caramel at all!
  19. Spouse and I have been in re-entry mode for 24 days because we've treated this as an experiment. We did not follow the "day on, two days off" in fact we stretched it out a 2nd day longer and then repeated. For reintro we discussed what we really missed, and it was dairy, non-gluten grains, maybe a tinge of honey if a sweetener was needed and ( me) alcohol. We were fine without hard core sugar (candy, granulated, etc), desserts, snacks, breads, soy, beans, etc., and have no desire to reintro. We first experimented with dairy. All we missed was a little butter, sour cream and cheese as a flavor enhancement (aka mexican) tried it for two days, off for two days, and repeated to see if same results. Definitely some bloat and gas issues, feeling tired and sinus headaches with throat mucus in mornings. Then we reintroduced organic, nongmo corn chips, no issues, but ReIntro of rice and rice flour, yikes, total bloat, feeling heavy, uncomfortable and constipated. ReIntro of wine with one glass, two concurrent nights, sleep is interrupted, severely dehydrated and skin back to itchy and dry. We are now in combo mode, and planning around discomforts for if / what is worth it. Although W30 was not easy (I don't care what they say, it is hideous), it is also an awakening. And although it might be easy to go back to donuts and club sandwiches, ice cream and yogurt, our tastes and outlook have changed. What was a nightmare to do, was important and the reintroductions are just as important. Not being fully compliant for just 24 days, my nails and hair are back to being brittle, my face which had cleared of rosacea is now compromised, my night sweats are back, and I've regained 4 lbs after losing 14. My spouse felt so bad after eating dairy (which he loves) he went back to compliant all except for corn chips, and has continued to feel good and look good. The other noticeable reduction however is our pantry and our fridge. Although it was costly to start W30, we feel it is cheaper to stay on it. Veggies cost a lot less than junk. Our collections of jarred and packaged crap are gone, making cooking simpler. We actually like many of the recipes, and we are creatively using leftovers and minimizing food waste more than ever before. To us W30 is the base, and the reintroductions are just a way to modify for understanding tolerances. It is all an experiment in you and your body. For those who invest the time and just go back to snickers and biscuits n gravy, then you've likely put yourself through a hideous exercise for nothing.
  20. MariaO65

My journey actually began 2 years ago. I came across Whole30, the 30 day guide at the local library. After reading it front to back I purchased my own copy. I was ready to take the plunge then life happen. I began a medical journey instead. I came across that book a couple weeks ago and decided to go for it. So Monday, April 22nd is it!
  21. trafficjamdreaming

Starting April 1

Hey Everyone Here's to Day 20! We should all be very proud we got so far and can't wait to say I completed another challenge. Hey @Suzanne-SATx. My heart goes out to you because I know the feeling. I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I've been upwards of size 20 to as small as size 4. I used to berate myself with negative self talk and my confidence tanked. Before I started the Whole30 challenge 5 years ago I had tried every quick fix diet, took different weight loss pills, and restricted my calories to a point that was unhealthy for my body. I couldn't look myself in the mirror without picking my body apart and nearly crying. It chokes me up now just thinking about it. But you know what? The Whole30 challenge taught me so much. I know the difference between healthy foods and unhealthy foods. I can now read a label and know what I don't want in my body. I don't restrict my calories anymore and know how to eat to satiety rather than stuff myself until I have to unbutton my pants I've been much more consistent with my workouts with the increased energy I've learned that great change takes time. I've learned to be proud of myself for the mini wins like getting to Day 20! I'm generous with the NSV's because energy, glowing skin, and being able to say "Nah, I don't want that donut" is so awesome! 3 years ago, I was at my most fit and I allowed work stress to get in between my healthy relationship with food and exercise. Because of this, I regained my weight and some. I couldn't get past the first week of the Whole30 challenge and restarted like 20 times. Than right before the holidays last year, I saw a fit photo of myself. I cried. I was angry at myself for allowing other things get in the way of my personal goals. I took that anger and frustration and successfully got through a challenge. I'm still working through some weight loss but this time around, I'm enjoying the ride. When a negative thought enters my mind, I combat it by telling myself 5 great things about myself and my journey. Suzanne, you've made great strides! You're in control and are one mean Whole30 meal prep machine! Don't lose faith. You're doing awesome! Let's pass the finish line together!
  22. pearlgirl2017

Starting March 6 for Lent

Last day. I don't know what I'll do first. Probably feta on my salad, oatmeal on Monday, that kind of stuff. Hopefully I won't dive head first into the candy dish.
  23. Suzanne-SATx

Starting April 1

Thank you, @ladyshanny. With a couple days' distance, I am in a better mind set. It seems as though now that my body is purged of bad foods, my mind is questioning the status of a lot of things in my life. My health & weight aren't the only areas that I've been hiding from, unfortunately. For now, this is one area I can control - and I'm enjoying it. I really appreciate having the support of the forum. Thanks again, guys. Best wishes as we finish week 3 strong!
  24. I will be starting my Whole30 Monday
  25. ALM Grandma

Starting March 6 for Lent

Reintroduction group started hope you all come over and join in!
  26. JessieN

Starting May 6

Hello. I am committing to May 6. Very excited and eager to dive in, but doing the prep work first.
  27. Alberta Rose

Starting April 22nd Hopefully to help eczema

I'm starting on the 22nd as well! Let's do it together. I am hoping to improve body composition, skin clarity and find more energy somewhere! I'm desperate!
  28. ShannonM816

Rocky Start

For best results try to make all your meals match the meal template. Your portions will look different than pre-whole30, but they shouldn't be decreased. Especially be sure you add a fat serving or two, in addition to oil you cook in, and aim for 2-3 cups of vegetables at each meal. You can find the template here if you need it: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  1. Load more activity