All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. kirbz

Breakfast - How Much is Too Much?

My first reaction is to tell you to trust your body to answer this question! I realize this is a departure from traditional diet culture where there's supposed to be a one-size-fits-all answer. What I love most about Whole30 is that it's a personal experiment. It acknowledges that everyone is different and tasks you to know your own body and figure it out for yourself. So, how does a meal that size make you feel? Does it keep you full for 4-5 hours between meals? Do you feel lethargic or overly full after a meal that size? Do you feel energized? If your body is having a good reaction, then it's a properly sized meal for you! That being said, I am also highly active with mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, and climbing and my breakfasts are often enormous. I'll sometimes eat a whole small sweet potato and a whole small russet potato mixed as a hash, with three eggs and two slices of bacon and a glass of orange juice on the side! And I feel great after eating it! I even tend to lose weight when doing Whole30. So yeah, use the Meal Template as a guide and trust your own body to tell you what is right and not right. You will have your own personal context that is not shared by anyone else here on the Forum so nobody can give you a better answer than you can!
  4. So far I have been enjoying whole30. I slipped up during the first week and had to reset my count, not realizing I had eaten dried plantains that had oils not approved (learning pains), and choose to eat a few bites of french fries off my boyfriends plate after we had gotten done with some intense backpacking. But overall I have been staying true. My question in the title refers to my breakfast which i didn't use to eat before but I realized that I love eating breakfast and enjoy making my scramble in the morning. This is what it typically consists of: 2 eggs loads of veggies (usually some kind of squash or sweet potato, kale, tomatoes, bellpeppers, artichoke hearts, or mushrooms) 4oz piece of lean meat, usually chicken, or salmon TBSP of coconut oil for the pan Often I add a small bowl of fruit, usually berries or right now watermelon It looks like a lot when I am done, but I can scarf every bite, gleefully. I do workout every day. Usually I do some type of Cardio or HIIT and I often work out twice a day (especially since that is about all I can do out of the house ATM). So I don't feel like I am overeating, but wanted to check with others out there and get some opinions. Would love to hear some thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!
  5. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

Yesterday went as planned, including the bike ride and meal prep. I fell asleep pretty easily, but woke up with a stressful dream (people I know doing something completely surprising and unexpected, it was as if I'd had a revelation - then I couldn't go back to sleep because I was wondering whether or not I was missing something in this relationship...) Day 34/60 day 3 no nightshades Energy-8, Mood-8, Pain 0; 2 while walking. 24 minutes into my walk, my knee started hurting. This seems to be around the same time, whether I'm walking or doing C25K (which I haven't done in 2 weeks). When I injured my knee last August, I couldn't walk for 7 minutes before having so much pain I had to stop, so this is improvement. It's been a long, slow road. I'd just like to be able to walk normally without the pain! Ugh!! Progress on July goals: 1)an hour of yoga yesterday; 2)push-ups and modified lunges this morning. M1: Egg salad and homemade sausage. It's ok. Needs to be spicier, but I'm not eating red pepper right now... M2: Kalua pig and coleslaw M3: Leftover chicken and a salad Not sure what the day will bring - I"m off from work, supposed to be stormy this afternoon, though.
  6. meli22

Round 2

Day 8 B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 sausages; cucumber slices, 1/4 avocado, sauerkraut L = cabbage-carrot slaw w/ olive oil, vinegar & mustard; seafood mix; cauliflower-dill soup; 2 plums D = 2 hardboiled eggs; baked yam; zucchini noodles w/ tomato sauce; a peach for dessert exercise = 60 mins walk
  7. meli22

Round 2

@MadyVanilla fizzy drinks always add a little something to the end of the meal
  8. ChristyR

July Whole30

I like the nutpods a lot! I've just been using the original flavor. I use them for cooking sometimes too. They are very nicely creamy. Day 3: Banana, coffee with nutpods RxBar Hamburger patty, 2 pickles, salad, no dressing Small apple Chopped veg & chicken in lettuce wraps, chicken broth on the side
  9. Yesterday
  10. MichaelM

Plant Based Butter

We used it to make a garlic butter to go over out streak the other night.
  11. SugarcubeOD

Can I have D-Ribose>

No it is not.
  12. ILikeNumbers

My Whole 30 Log - June 2020

How do you make your smoothies?
  13. ShannonM816

Plant Based Butter

These ingredients are technically all compliant. I'm not sure what you're planning to use this for, but for cooking with, regular olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil would probably work better.
  14. ShannonM816

Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing

Honey is definitely not whole30. Definitely save this one for after whole30.
  15. It sounds like the general recommendation is to start over. If you Google "Whole 30 colonoscopy" there are a number of previous threads and most people seem to have the best experience when they restart or add on extra days to their Whole30. I wish you the very best with your Whole30 journey and with the colonoscopy!
  16. Fireside Travel

Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing

I bought this BBQ Ranch Dressing which says that it is Whole 30 approved on the label. Honey is listed as an ingredient which I believe is not Whole 30 approved. So, I wanted to get clarification on this product, is it Whole 30 approved or not? Thanks so much!
  17. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

Yesterday was a good day of getting back on track, though I only ate meat for 2/3 meals. The close to no carbs approach is maybe not the best thing to do, but it smashed the cravings I was having the night before. I didn't get any extra exercise in, as I dealt with hip and knee deep achiness all day long. And I STILL have not done meal prep for the week, my energy dipped throughout the day and my motivation just wasn't there. However, today, I feel like I'm back to normal. I slept really well last night, and was awake up, and out the door with the dog before 6:00 am. Day 33/60, day 2 no nightshades Mood-8, Energy-9, Pain-0 current/2 while walking. Lower back tightness and then knee started acting up during the morning walk. I had intended on doing a little over two miles, but ended up at 1.6 because I took a shortcut home given the tightness. Progress on goals: 1) 40 minute yoga session yesterday 2) did push-up/leg routine yesterday and this morning. M1-3 eggs cooked in olive oil with red onion, spinach, 1/2 avocado and parsley. M2-kalua pig over cole slaw made with homemade mayo/vinegar sauce. I'm not going to add dates to this sauce - even though it would be compliant, I'm wary of anything sweet right now. M3-Grilled chicken in compliant herb and citrus marinade, salted sliced cucumber, other 1/2 avocado, sweet potato with ghee I WILL make mayo, sausage, and egg salad today. Also, bike ride and a long yoga session in the cards.
  18. Contessa

Take Advantage

Ooh. I'm just sitting here at my kitchen table nodding over your response. That bit about flexible thought processes really preaches. Yes!
  19. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

I love this. This round of W30 I've been much more introspective and courageous in exploring my emotional issues with food. I always knew they were there, but I thought I could avoid them. The fact that I keep returning to the same old habits says I can't. I am also prone to the black/white, must-do-this-to-succeed ideal...but as you said, we keep getting chances to do it right. With each chance I can examine and go a little deeper, or I can toss out that chance and start again with the next one. And instead of each point in time being "right or wrong" I can get it right in the grand scheme of attaining a higher level of health and well-being. This is what attaining food freedom is about, isn't it? It's not about being flexible with food choices, but about being flexible with thought processes. I have such a long way to go, but I think this time, I'm in the right frame of mind to do this right to learn and examine as I go along. Still a long way to go . I'm so glad you are still here - I appreciate your insightful comments. Thank you!!!
  20. MadyVanilla

Colonoscopy on Day 14--restart or continue?

My two cents (there are people much more knowledgeable and experienced than me here): Strictly speaking, the Gatorade is not W30 and the letter of the law would be to restart. Personally, I'm in the middle of a W60 as I decided to extend my W30 after a mishap with Japanese food. I felt that the gains I had made to that point-physical, mental and emotional-far out-weighed the impact of that meal in my overall journey toward health. Plus, if I had started over at Day 1, I would not be in the same place on the timeline-I had already experienced the headaches, fatigue, etc of the first week or so. I think you have to decide what's best for you - if this is a journey to change your relationship with food consider whether or not a restart is necessary to move forward. If this is strictly elimination to see how certain foods effect you, consider that you would get less than 30 days of elimination unless you restart (or extend out 30 more days) and how that would impact your experiment. There are lots of good resources about this on the website and in the forum (best found through a Google search). Good luck with whatever you decide, and especially with the colonoscopy!
  21. MadyVanilla

Round 2

Congrats on getting through a successful first week! How awesome to be seeing the positive impacts-it's pretty amazing how quickly they come. This is also my dessert - or a spindrift. And it's satisfying!
  22. MadyVanilla

July Whole30

Yay for completing day 2! How do you like the nutpods? Are you using flavored ones? I've been curious about them...
  23. MadyVanilla

Round 4 - FIGHT!

In the midst of a W30/making healthy choices, it's hard to imagine why we would ever go backward...but each step back is a learning experience. You're ready to rid yourself of the problematic side effects. Yay! You got this!
  24. MichaelM

Plant Based Butter

So me and my wife are stationed overseas and have somewhat limited resources available to us. We found Country Crocks plant based butter the other day. Ingredients: Blend Of Plant-Based Oils (Palm Kernel, Canola, Palm Fruit, And Olive Oil), Water, Salt, Pea Protein, Sunflower Lecithin, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color) They also make an avocado based butter which I understand would be a better option than the olive oil perhaps? Anyway, All of these ingredients seem to be compliant but i'd prefer to verify and not have to re-start. TYIA for any help!
  25. DEW

Meal prep tip

I was just reading the recipe for sweet potato soup and have a tip for grating ginger root. I keep a large piece in my freezer to keep it from drying out. But discovered it’s so easy and fast to grate it on my micro plane in the frozen state. It comes out nice and fine too.
  26. DEW

Feeling deceived

Wow! Thank you so much @kirbz! That was so nice of you. I’ll look into this book.
  27. SchrodingersCat

Round 4 - FIGHT!

Just in terms of how I feel, I have vertigo (full body), forearm pain, I'm puffed up, I have anxiety, my motor skills are crap, I'm tired, unenthused and brain foggy. Why on earth do I do this.
  28. SchrodingersCat

Round 4 - FIGHT!

Hooooo boy. 10 days completely off track and I have vertigo and feel like hell. It feels like a lot longer since I was on track. And when I say off track I mean I can't remember the last vegetable I ate. First thing, cut out the wine. Second thing, get back to whole foods and proper meals. We've just started a fresh 6 week lockdown due to an upsurge in cases, so it's not like I've got anywhere to be...
  1. Load more activity