All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Kristanzak

Feeling AWFUL after cheating

Thank you. I think it must have been the sugar in the cocktails, because I wasn’t drinking straight whiskey. And because I didn’t feel well, I didn’t eat much the next day, which probably made things worse. I only started feeling better today after I got some food (and some healthy fats) into me.
  4. ShannonM816

Feeling AWFUL after cheating

Going without alcohol for a while can make you more sensitive to it, though I'm not sure 12 days is long enough to notice any effect. It's possible there was something else in the cocktails that added to the reaction. Even sugar might have some effect, since you haven't had any for 12 days, and if there was anything else off plan in them, that could've affected things. There's some disagreement online about gluten in whiskey, with some saying the distillation renders it gluten free, but others saying people who are particularly sensitive to gluten may still react to it. (That's assuming your whiskey was wheat, rye, or barley based, I think it can be corn-based as well which wouldn't have gluten.) It's also possible you picked up a really badly timed stomach bug, and are suffering from a combo of that plus the alcohol.
  5. Yesterday
  6. Happy Friday the 13th, btw! Yes, Day 21 woohoo. The party is next Saturday and Sunday is Day 30 but that's OK. I really feel like I'm on a roll and it's just one more thing I need to learn how to navigate. My husband tends to want to tell people (in his own interpretation) what I'm doing and I have to remind him that it's nobody's business but mine. People get pushy or defensive or supportive so I tend to tailor my response to questions depending on my audience but greatly prefer to fly under the radar. One of the fastest ways to clear cats out of a room is with a hula hoop!! If I touched mine, Maybelle was gone. Of course if I laid down on the floor she was gone, too, unlike Bossman that has to "help" me stretch but he isn't a hula hoop fan either. Since I haven't met any of my deductible this year, I put off the allergist until Jan 2. It seemed silly to pay that out of pocket expense at the tail end of the year so I put it off for a week. Have fun with your mammo! I got mine last week. I didn't plan it this way but I've gotten health maintenance stuff, eye doctor and dentist all done in the last couple of weeks. I made a double batch of meatloaf muffins last night and am now officially really low on meat and vegetables so the farmers market is definitely on my agenda for tomorrow but, other than that, I hope to not leave the house. I want to get a couple of quick ferments going and I need to bake those chicken thighs since my stash of those is depleted, too. And read! I have a pile of books and I want some quiet time to spend with them. I'm almost finished the 4th Earthsea book and I have a couple of new Wendell Berry fictions that I'm itching to get into. I know you'll be working but have a great weekend anyway! Oh! and, yes, our 20th anniversary is NYE/NYD. Legally it's on NYD but we celebrate NYE, too because we got married at midnight when the year turned 2000.
  7. I was 12 days in to Whole30 (and feeling great!) and had a planned cheat night for Xmas drinks with my BFF. I didn’t eat off plan, but had several whiskey cocktails...and had the WORST hangover of my entire life the next day. (And this is not typical for me.) It took a full day to recover physically, and even two days later, I am not feeling quite right. Is this a normal experience? I’m used to having a headache after a night out if I don’t drink enough water, but NOT used to vomiting, the full-body death feeling, etc.
  8. Happy Birthday to your husband, and glad you have a good time, and thrived with those mid-week/later at night festivities - sounds fun! Live music is so good for the soul, and I admire that you are able to get out and do those things on school nights once in a while. Also, I am behind you all the way with whatever/however you present yourself as not-wine-tasting at the party. Can you take some deep inhales of the wine without being too tempted? I love to smell good wine...and also coffee, even if I'm not drinking it (I certainly am these days) without too much temptation. What is the last day of your W30? I think you started on 11.23, does that bring you to 12/21? When is the Hoedown gathering? And your anniversary is New Years Eve as I recall? What a season - you are rocking it, and kept it up on eating out during the holidays, WOO HOO! Your W30 has inspired me and helped me to stay on my bike this month, too. Did you have your appt yet with the allergist? Glad your foot is feeling better. I am not hiking lately, but stretching most days of the week a little. That's something, and since my nutrition is pretty sound I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm taking organic whole milk in my coffee, and occasional lemonade in my iced tea, and not-ideal oils in occasional things like the salmon patties I had for breakfast today...but other than that, pretty compliant, and it's been ages since I binged on sugar, so my bike is pretty much on the path, and my self esteem is intact, and after the holidays, i will take it up a notch with my training program. You have a hula hoop! Waaahhh! Mine arrived yesterday, and it is "resting" on the table for 24 hours before I can use it. I've been listening to fun music in my car (I usually keep it silent to meditate on the drive/rules of the road...it helps me center myself) to psych up for working out/dancing with the hoop. I think the cats will freak out when they see it. I'm taking that check-list to heart, especially don't over commit, and schedule solo time! It occured to me that I could make a spaghetti feast mostly ahead of time for our friends, and then the only time commitment would be preparing the house...we'll see....time to plan and commit. Happy Day (?) 21!!!!!
  9. That's their job! Squeaky has become re-fascinated with toilet paper and last night he totally showed it who was boss! Whew, everything you have going on makes me tired just thinking about it! Good for you deciding that having your friends over for dinner is too much; it's hard to draw that line sometimes (or most of the time, for me). I haven't been as productive this week as I would have liked but I've hung in there with my husband's birthday and back-to-back nights out to see music. Both shows were terrific and were even more special because one was a one-time event and the other was a rare event; the last time the First Ladies of Bluegrass played together was in Telluride in July so it was pretty cool. Trying to do all of that in the middle of the week was a challenge but, even my husband commented on it, we had a plan and carried it out. I even ate out! I contacted the restaurant and found out they cook EVERYTHING in soybean oil plus all of their meats (it's a BBQ place known for whole hog) have sugar in the rub except for their brisket-yay!- and they have a baked potato that I can have if I get them to leave everything off except for the green onions. I brought some ghee and bacon and all was good! The only meal I haven't had to cook myself- what a treat. The party is looming and I'm bracing for a good bit of push-back because I'm not participating in the wine tasting. Once everybody gets over it, it'll be fine and the most important part is that I'm fine with it. I'm not a big fan of LaCroix sparkling waters but I ordered a case that has one of every flavor so I can experiment with them. When we went to the biodynamic conference, an herbalist gave a talk about fire cider and other drinking vinegars then she mixed them with LaCroix for everyone to taste. It was so good and I have two different vinegars infusing that will be ready for the party. My husband changed his mind about participating in the potluck at work so my ready-to-go kale is gone but I remember seeing some organic frozen kale at the grocery so I might just use that. My foot is much better; thanks for asking. I'm feeling really good, too, in spite of being a little sleep deprived. I'm definitely feeling slimmer and my clothes are fitting better. I'm thinking that I'll probably stay pretty strict W30 even after my 30 days are over. So far, my plan is to allow some added sugar and crappy oil so I can eat out occasionally but stay compliant in all other aspects. Breathe! And have fun!
  10. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Thursday, Dec 12 Day 20: Sleep: 6h 22m + 37m awake=7h in bed - second night in a row going out to see music but was able to sleep in a little. I was really tired all day but I survived! M1: same as Wed M2: leftover birthday ribeye, a tiny amount of baked sw potato and sauteed collards w pine nuts, cherry tomatoes w ranch M3: meatloaf muffins and sauteed green beans Steps: 6,566
  11. I'm on day 18 and nary a hint of Tiger Blood in sight. I've been following the template of a good protein (venison, chicken, eggs, or salmon cakes) plus lots of veggies (squash, turnips, cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, mixed with some greens like broccoli and spinach). I'm trying to limit nuts since they don't always play nice with me, so I don't have more than one serving per day. I try to have avocado or Whole30 may instead, or MCT oil in a pinch. I've limited my fruits to apples or berries. I rarely snack and I haven't been doing pre and postworkout meals because my workouts are relatively low intensity. Breakfast today was Melissa's chicken hash, cauliflower/sweet potato rice, carrots, and half an avocado. Lunch was yellow squash, turnips, ground venison, and sweet potatoes, plus some applesauce. Dinner was wild pork tenderloins and sweet potatoes with Whole30 mayo. Right now, I'm just not hungry. I can workout but they're not great and I'm pretty tired afterward. My sugar demon was pretty out of control, so I don't expect to be turning cartwheels after just one round, but I just wonder what I'm doing wrong. Am I not eating enough? I feel full at most meals but then wake up hungry in the morning. This is my third round in the last 7 years and I tend to either be Whole30 or a complete mess (though I haven't had gluten or much dairy since my very first one back in 2013). I'm just feeling discouraged. I'm not going to quit because this is the best decision for my health, but dang. Today has been a rough day.
  12. Last week
  13. Yikes, I know it's too busy when I don't have time to post on our thread! Whew! It's been a very productive week. How's your rental? Sometimes it can be fun to drive a rental, hopefully it's safe in the snow! My friend has to get a double mastectomy. Wah. And another friend is in her fourth year of breast cancer treatments, and starting a new round of chemo...tarting next week I'll take her to her weekly chemo appointments on my errand day, which, next week is also my mammogram day (our friend who used to take her died a few months ago, and she is hoping the widower will give her his late wife's wigs as she expects to lose her hair, and she is handling it all with humor and style, what a woman!!!!), and we'll get to hang out...she is a love, and I adore her, so this will be good...and also challenging, but I feel good about it. Sigh. I'e been mostly compliant, and feeling good. Getting the vitamins and supplements back onboard is showing me that the joint supplements do help, as my knees are feeling better. The coleslaw beat goes on, but I'm ready to switch it up, so good thing I'm going shopping today. For someone who doesn't really celebrate Christmas I feel the Christmas crunch. We'll do a staff party a week from today that includes retired staff, a party of 8, and I do gift baskets for most of them, and small gifts for the others, and we have secret Santa in the works, so today is really my last day to shop except for next week when I get my mammogram while my friend is in chemo. So, I'm feeling a little pressure. "To save time, slow down" I can hear my teacher say. Also, our Muslim friends are coming to visit 12/21-24, staying in a nearby hotel. I think we'll do appetizers here at home, and mostly dine out with them as they will be focused on getting up to see the big trees, and I might accompany them one day, but I am preparing plates of things that will be easy to do ahead, and I'm trying to stay calm. I'd love to put on a dinner for them, but I don't think I can handle it on top of our work hours, and all the Christmas stuff. Eek! I know the party is on the horizon, and then anniversary, how are your plans shaping up? How's your foot? The moral of the story of kittens at 3+ months = TROUBLE. Ha ha. Off again now...hugs and solidarity!!!
  14. heb2014

#JanuaryWhole30 Here We Come...

January will be my second Whole30 also (starting Jan. 5th). I did the reintroduction but have failed at Food Freedom. Need to work on defining that better during the Whole30 this time. For me, it was much easier to have the strict rules during the 30+ days than creating some guidelines that I intended to follow until the first time I had the opportunity not to. I know part of Food Freedom is realizing you need another reset - which I probably needed stating in November. Have been trying to get back on track these two weeks before Christmas, but really gearing up for the reset for January. Will be tracking here: And thoughts on my first Whole30 from September shared here:
  15. Prepping for a January Whole30 (starting Jan. 5th to February 3rd). My first was in September. I felt REALLY REALLY good for several weeks after - but then the kids' Halloween candy started my downfall. I've planned out my dinner menu (attached) except for the 3 days in February. I like to keep the sides a little more unplanned and decide closer to the day. However, I know this is a "plan" and part of that is knowing some days I may need to deviate. I did a ton of If/Then Planning with my first round and it was extremely helpful. If I don't feel like cooking what I have planned, then my backup meals are Whole30 Chicken Salad from WellPlated.com, pan seared Pork with whatever veggies I have to roast, stir-fry over riced cauliflower, or dinner out at Chipotle. Other ways I've started prepping for the January Whole30 is getting back to drinking 80 ounces of water a day, paying attention to what I eat, and doing some workout videos; I want to incorporate exercise in to my Whole30 better than I did in September, and Tuesday (with two weeks' to Christmas day), I started some 2 Week Shred video on Youtube.
  16. Mojojojo1120

Eggs and fruit for breakfast?

Thank you very much Shannon! I really appreciate your response.
  17. ShannonM816

Eggs and fruit for breakfast?

A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which could be five for you, that's not a crazy number. There's nothing wrong with fruit, but a serving is about the size of your closed fist, so you may be having a little too much, according to the meal template. If you change anything, I'd say try to swap some of the fruit for vegetables. You can download the meal template here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/
  18. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Wed, Dec 11, Day 19: Sleep: 5h 48m + 40m awake=6h 28m in bed I knew I'd be short on sleep; we went to see a Tony Joe White Tribute on my husband's birthday and didn't get home until after 10 so I'm a little tired but OK and it was totally worth it! M1: same w kimchi M2: broccoli, cherry tomato, chicken salad w ranch dressing M3: Ate out! The only 2 compliant things on the menu, brisket and baked potato w green onions (I brought ghee and bacon with me) delicious and it was a nice treat to have my one and only meal on this W30 that I didn't have to cook. Steps: 7,640
  19. Hello, long time whole30er, first time poster. first of all, I want to say thank you to whole30 as a whole and to this community. It has changed my life...my wife and I have partaken in multiple rounds of whole30 at this point. The first time, I lost a lot of weight, felt great, and my eyes were opened. Since then, Its been a bit tougher, we typically reattempt a whole30 run and make a lot of healthy foods but also cheat frequently come weekends. It’s an ongoing struggle but we are still hanging in there... anyways, my question is this: every morning I cook myself either 5 eggs (yes 5....I once saw my in shape buddy do it and it left a mark on me). After that, I eat a few fruits (always an apple, usually some grapes, maybe some pineapple). i think I am probably eating too much but after doing this for so long, I have a hard time not preparing this much food every morning. The thing is, I see eggs as being a great option and fruits as being a great option...but I worry that eating this combination every morning is going to cause me to gain more weight... I know other meals throughout the day impact this but I’m wondering moreso about specifically eating a bunch of eggs then eating a bunch of fruits right after. Should I eliminate something? Maybe try to eat just eggs or just fruits every morning? If so, which should I eliminate? What do you think? Sorry for the long rambling post, just wanted to explain where I am at.... and thank you very much in advance for any advice. sincerely, Joe Kowal
  20. ShannonM816

What do you drink?

These are not ok on whole30, they may not have sugar, but the do have sweeteners. I've removed the link in your post. It was to a site advertising some kind of flat belly tea that is not ok on whole30.
  21. mabrown24

What do you drink?

I'm not a big fan of sparkling water but I have been thinking about using the sugar free crystal light packets with caffeine in my water. It came as a recommendation from a friend who's doing intermittent fasting from an online program she's following; I believe it's called Kinobody.com. Any ways, black coffee with cinnamon for me. Just something about it get's me going in the morning. I've also found a site for a morning tea that was suggested to me as well. Looks interesting enough to try, link below. Do any of you guys have any thoughts or suggestions? We're trying to start clean in December, so that we're not with the rest of the New Years resolutioner's in January, trying to burn off belly fat from the holidays.
  22. mabrown24

What can I add to my coffee?

I've tried adding butter but couldn't get the hang of it...just too weird. I believe you either love it or hate it. I was the latter. But, I am fond of cinnamon in my coffee. It doesn't mix well but when mixed with a black coffee, it's a huge help in the morning for that extra boost needed.
  23. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Tuesday, Dec 10, Day 18: Sleep: 6h 54m + 1h 24m awake=8h 18m in bed M1: same as Monday but with fermented curried cauli M2: baba ganoush w raw kohlrabi as a dipper, cherry tomatoes and baked chicken thigh M3: birthday ribeye, sauteed collards w pine nuts, a sm piece of sw potato (got my husband a big slice of really good cake for his birthday so I didn't have to make it and have it hanging around the house and made creamed collards for him to take to work to enjoy) Steps: 7,987 not bad for trying to take it easy- foot is still sore but much better
  24. Coffeelover99

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

Hi TriciaLeigh! I started this Whole 30 back in October and it ended right before Thanksgiving. My journal title (week one and two) is misleading, if there's a way to change it, I'm not sure how. Anyway, I agree with scoakley13, go for it! It took me a week or so to recover from Thanksgiving, and I got sick, but now I'm pretty much on track. I'm keeping my meals mostly Whole 30 based, with the exception of legumes, noodle soup and ezekiel bread this week. I wanted to be relaxed through the holidays for social obligations that all revolve around food. However, I'm making a big effort to abstain from sugar and alcohol. I like the earlier post in this thread from one of the whole 30 coaches with the math. From Thanksgiving to New Years, there's 108 meal opportunities, so if I do my best to eat well for 90 of them, then in my book I'm doing good. In January, I plan on going back on a Whole 30 to support my sister and reinforce good habits from my November Whole 30 and December Food Freedom. If I was doing a real Whole 30 this month, I would have to eat before going to events, and then plan on bringing a compliant appetizer, dish or side. Good luck to you and cheers (with lacroix and lime twist) :).
  25. Laura of The Great White North

2nd Time Around Starting Dec 27th

Hey everyone! I am going to start my second Whole30 on December 27th. I picked this date because it is the beginning of a 6 day vacation from work and I wanted to have a less stressful environment during those difficult first few days. I got super sick during my first Whole30 in July. It wasn't related to the Whole30 at all, but I feel like it really impacted my experience. I also did not do the reintroduction at all. I was very much like, It's Day 31 I need to eat all the things!!! All that really accomplished for me was not feeling good and having a terrible flare up of the eczema on my hands. I am looking forward to this new round and I would love company. I really found the support in the other group helpful and I look forward to meeting you! Laura
  26. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Monday, Dec 9, Day 17: Sleep: 7h 5m + 1h 6m awake=8h 11m in bed M1: hash w ground pork, kohlrabi, mushrooms, poblano pepper, scrambled eggs and fermented radishes M2: buffalo chicken wings, broccoli and cherry tomato salad w ranch M3: pork chop, brussels sprouts sauteed in brown butter ghee Steps: 6,244 and this included 1.5 hrs in a dentist chair but again better than I thought but still trying to take it easy on my foot which is showing some bruising where I did whatever I did to it
  27. SugarcubeOD

RealPlans

Hey there! Just to clarify, Real Plans is a Whole30 approved partner but they're not part of the Whole30 company which puts out the cookbooks so it's not likely that Whole30 would provide their recipes from the cookbooks to an external subscription service.
  28. Hi everyone, I wanted to share and get feedback about my Whole30 results, mostly in relation to the scale. I have done a previous strict Whole30 and a not-so-strict Whole30 before. I had lost 20 pounds on the first one and about 10 pounds on the not-so-strict one. This Whole30 I did textbook-strict and I only lost a whomping 2-5 pounds on the scale. I don't remember how much I was exercising the previous ones, but I would say I could have done a lot more exercise this round. I did notice many many non-scale victories however. My clothes are fitting much better, I feel like my jeans waist size has gone down 1-2 waist sizes, I have had zero sugar cravings (I have a bad sweet tooth), my cooking skills are way better and I feel good about the work i'm doing to better myself, and even at the doctor's office my weight was down to a point where my doctor noticed progress so I am not disappointed at all about doing the Whole30 and continuing it. However, I know this is not a good way of thinking, but it feels a little disappointing to do all the work and get on the scale and see a weight that is only 2 pounds less than the weight 30 days before. Has anyone ever had an experience like this? Thank you.
  29. scoakley13

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

I started a Whole30 the Monday before Thanksgiving last year and went all the way through Valentine's Day (my boyfriend's birthday) and it was awesome! I encourage you to go for it!
  1. Load more activity