All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. w30virgo

Still hanging in there....

@50andstillhere it's made with water, dried hops, nutritional brewer's yeast, and natural flavors. I googled in the store to make sure that hops and brewer's yeast would be compliant, and the forum says that they are. I love kombucha too!
  4. slc_melissa

Coconut Flower Blossom Nectar

Yes, if it's part of the aminos https://whole30.com/chips-and-aminos/ Coconut Aminos Coconut aminos (a soy sauce substitute made from coconut) came on the Whole30 scene around 2013. The first company to release the product was Coconut Secret, and the ingredients read, “Organic coconut ‘sap’ aged and blended with sun-dried, mineral-rich sea salt.” Based on this ingredient list*, it appeared totally Whole30 compliant. We began using aminos in our recipes and cookbooks, creating Asian-inspired dishes with exciting flavors. Today, we have a variety of aminos; Big Tree Farms is a major market player, and Thrive Market has their own brand of aminos. Trouble is, their ingredients read slightly different: “Organic fair trade coconut blossom nectar, sea salt.” And it’s that one word, “nectar,” that’s causing trouble, because in Whole30 lingo, “nectar” = “sugar.” I got on the phone with Elizabeth from Big Tree Farms, so she could explain the way aminos are made. The nectar itself is harvested from the coconut flower blossoms (not the tree itself, as the word “sap” might indicate). From there, you can do a few things with the nectar: brew it down with sea salt and water (natural fermentation may be part of this process) and turn it into aminos; dry it and allow it to granulate, turning it into coconut sugar; or sell it as coconut syrup, a liquid sweetener substitute. So technically, all aminos are derived from a sugar source—but not all labels are clear about that. Which means that according to the current rules, some brands of aminos are out, while some are allowed, based solely on the way the companies chose to write the ingredients on the label. Furthermore, unlike the other two forms of coconut nectar, aminos are not a sugar substitute. Would you add it to your coffee or tea, or pour it over berries? (EW.) To avoid further confusion, we’re just going to write a new exclusion into the rules: “coconut aminos” are compliant for the program, even if the words “coconut nectar” or “coconut syrup” are on the label. *When you read the rest of the Coconut Secret label, the word “sap” is in quotation marks, and the bottle description does say it comes from “sap that exudes from the coconut blossom.” Consumers (myself included) assumed the product came from the tree (or the coconut itself), but it is sourced from the coconut blossom, just like the other brands.
  5. pd1224

The Republic of Tea

Can I have The Republica of Tea - Ginger Peach Green Tea? I have attached the Ingredients
  6. ShannonM816

Snacks

Ideally, if you're going to eat between meals, you still want a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables. There are a number of reasons some typical snacks are not great. Nuts are very easy to overeat, fruit on its own can cause blood sugar spikes and drops, fruit or sweet tasting bars like Larabars or RX Bars can keep you craving more sweets, especially if you're using them to replace a snack that would usually be a cookie or a sweetened coffee drink or other sweets. So, you could eat any of those things for a snack, but they might not be your best option if you really want to work on changing your habits.
  7. Hi. I saw this ingredient (coconut flower blossom nectar) on a Whole30 Approved marinade. I think that it's just part of coconut aminos, but I just want to be sure that it's compliant for the Whole30. Is it? Thank you!
  8. MandM2113

Snacks

Hello, This is my first Whole30 and I have been reading the books which advise against snacks, but state if you DO need one it's okay. There has been mention of good and bad snacks, all Whole30 compliant, and I am confused as to what makes them good/bad if they are both healthy and compliant? Thank you!
  9. Looks like you're eating quite a bit, but you may need to add more fat to your meals (ranch, mayo, ghee, etc.) You can make a crap ton of sauces from the Whole30 mayo recipe. I'm a runner and that's the only thing that seems to be helping energize me. However, exercising still winds me on W30. My body really wants rice/oats!
  10. Laura of The Great White North

2nd Time Around Starting Dec 27th

We closing in on the end! Saturday is my Day 30. I have my reintroduction planned and I am looking forward to some of those foods! I hope everyone has experienced what they were looking for!! Congratulations on your success! ❤❤
  11. Shani_SWP

Picked a start date!

Good luck! If you haven't, sign up for the Whole30 starter kit : https://whole30.com/subscribe/ (it's free!)
  12. Shani_SWP

Day 10

Congratulations you two! Those are amazing results for only 10 (?) days in! Men generally lose weight faster than women (boo!) but as long as it keeps him motivated, don't let it discourage you! Women tend to see more skin, hormone and mood results (glowing skin, less breakouts, less PMS symptoms, less irritable, etc). Focus on your NSV and keep on rockin' your Whole30!
  13. heb2014

Anew in Arkansas - Round 2

Day 10 (January 21) M1: Fried eggs + coffee w/ creamer M2: chopped pork M3: chili w/ baked potato The fried eggs did not hold me over well (and I know - it doesn't follow the template....); made the breakfast casserole for the rest of the week after dinner. Had to travel for work with some colleagues; we went to a well known bbq restaurant for lunch. I figured I'd be able to find something on the menu to eat - and I did, except it was just meat - dry meat with zero sauce. They sell their rub and their sauce at the restaurant, so I was able to look at them to see if it included non-compliant items; the rub did not - the sauce did. There were no salads and no sides that I could eat. Not satisfying. I calculated how much we've spent on groceries so far this month - $451.22. Not including the times we eaten out (two times as a family that we've paid). My food budget/goal for the month is spent (though admittedly, I just added the receipts and didn't look to see if there were items that should fit in other categories that we purchased at the same time). Regardless, I am getting creative with what we have at the house this week, and we'll see how far that can take us. Made a large pot of chili last night, saved two more meals from it and froze the rest (likely to eat late next week). I'm not using that as an excuse to give up on Whole30; I don't think adding back any of the restricted items would help the budget (except maybe fill my husband up a little faster so he *might* eat less). I just need to scale back from the recipes that take lots of ingredients and eat a little more simply. Now it's a game for me to see what I can come up with, and luckily, I'm considering it a fun challenge, not a stressor (at least for now).
  14. Hi @Cliffer, Congratulations on making it to day 22, it sounds like you've turned into a chef! Now, it's time for some tough love. RX Bars, Larabars and dried fruit are meant to be emergency foods, not daily snacks; emergencies like when you get stuck in a meeting that runs long, and you don't have time to sit and eat a regular meal, or you're at your kid's baseball practice or stuck in traffic. It sounds like you may have replaced your regular carby snacking (chips, cookies, candy, etc) with healthier bars and fruit, but remember, these are still sugar bombs, even if the sugar comes from dates. Make sure to follow the meal template so you're fueling yourself enough to avoid in between meal cravings; what is your "fish and broccoli" mini meal to determine if you're really hungry or if you're just bored/angry/tired/upset? Fruit is also recommended to be "occasionally" so try to cut back to one serving a day. As for the cravings, go back to what brought you to Whole30, remember your why (this is the mental work portion of Whole30). Whole30 isn't meant for weight loss, it's meant to change your relationship with food. Update your list of "what to do when cravings hit" and focus on other NSV. You still have another 10 days of reintroduction after day 30 that includes Whole30 foods, so start working on your reintroduction plan and focus on one day at a time. Meal template: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf Hunger vs craving: https://whole30.com/how-many-meals/ NSV list: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-nsv.pdf Whole30 reintroduction: https://whole30.com/reintroduction-prep/ & https://whole30.com/reintroduction/ Trust the process. You got this!
  15. ultrarunnergirl

Cramping, indigestion, abdominal pain

None of us are doctors, you might want to see one about this. Abdominal pain could be serious. You only have it in the morning? Another thought is perhaps looking into taking a digestive enzyme.
  16. ultrarunnergirl

What would you eat

Can't tell just from the menu, you must ask the server/kitchen to be sure they aren't including ingredients not listed. I usually say "here's what I cannot have; could you ask the kitchen which menu items would be easiest to make to those specifications?" When in doubt, you can always go with a dry-grilled steak and steamed veggies.
  17. ultrarunnergirl

I'm not hungry!

You should try your best to follow the Meal Template - one palm sized serving of protein (more if it's eggs), 1-3 cups of veggies, two thumb sized portions of fat/half an avocado/handful of olives. These amounts are the minimum recommended amount. If you find you can't eat all of it at one meal, wrap up the rest and take it with you and try again in an hour or two. It's important to eat within an hour of waking in the morning too. This should help get your hunger on track.
  18. ultrarunnergirl

Always Nauseated from Day 12 On

Sorry you are having this issue. It seems you could be a little low on the fats, try upping that a bit and see how it sits. Do you feel you are eating enough, ie can you go 4-5 hours before you feel hungry, or do you regularly need a snack? Another thing to try - not drinking right before, during, and right after your meal to allow for better digestion. Hope you feel better soon.
  19. Bern123

Naturally Healed My LPR

Hi CarlInSmyrna I just joined the forum and I'm on day 3. Your message inspired me. I was diagnosed with LR reflux 2 years ago, have had many tests and pills, and am not cured. The reflux has taken over my life and I'm very depressed about it. I am really hoping this elimination diet works. I see that you haven't been on the forum but hope to hear how your reflux is now and are you still on this journey. Also interested on what supplements worked for you. Thank you!
  20. ultrarunnergirl

Stomach Pains Day 12 On

Can you tell us what you've been eating for the past several days? We might be able to give suggestions. No one here is a medical professional and we can't diagnose you. However it's important to know that stomach issues are often caused by NOT ENOUGH acid in the stomach - thus the food can't be digested. There could also be bigger underlying gut biome issues that would be best addressed by a functional medicine practitioner. Do you drink a lot of coffee? It's often a culprit in acid reflux. You may want to cut it out or cut back on it.
  21. ultrarunnergirl

Day 17...pants are tigher

Sometimes we don't follow the timeline exactly. It would also be helpful to list what you've eaten over the past few days. You mentioned that you ate out 3 days in a row. Did you ask the server/restaurant that your food be prepared strictly whole30 and tell them what you couldn't have? If your food was cooked in seed oil (canola) or worse, soybean oil, that could cause issues. Or perhaps you're eating more nuts lately? I find a teaspoon of magnesium citrate (Natural Calm) in some water an hour before bed helps keep me regular.
  22. This is my first time doing Whole 30. I have the meals down great, cooking every day for dinner, leftovers for lunch; usually fruit or eggs and veggies and sometimes meat for breakfast. It's the in between meals that gets me, I think. I bought some RX bars, some Lara bars, some dried apples- most days it's one bar after lunch, and not every day for the dried fruit. I've been eating fresh fruit maybe twice a day. This has gotten me through the feelings of being deprived and the need for some form of sugar initially. But I feel like as I'm getting closer to the end, I'm now having more mental cravings (not so much that I need the taste- but just looking at the things around thinking- "no none will know if I cheat and eat this..."- I haven't cheated though!), and I'm feeling tired and bloated. I'm feeling like I may be very disappointed in 8 days when I do step on the scale. I'm discouraged today. Anyone else struggling as we get closer to the end?
  23. BeckyB

Fifth timer, starting Jan 1!

How's everyone doing? I'm plugging along, feeling pretty good! Day 17.
  24. BellesMom

Picked a start date!

Hubby and I just picked a start date and are now working on getting the house ready:) we are trying to be healthier so we can try for baby #2! So excited about this program. It was listed as one of the best for PCOS.
  25. ultrarunnergirl

peanut butter and jelly is all they want

Kudos to you! Nom Nom Paleo has some great advice in her Food For Humans cookbook and on her website. You may need different approaches for each child. The other thing to remember is kids need to eat more often, so don't try to have them go 4 hours between meals. You buy the groceries so figure out the things they do like and have them on hand, and stop buying bread. Try using sweet potato slices as sandwich holders with sunbutter and an all fruit spread. Try new things constantly, like prosciutto (Nom Nom Paleo Prosciutto egg cups are great), olives, Velvety Butternut Squash from Mel Joulwan/Well Fed website/cookbook. Potatoes/sweet potatoes, apples and breakfast sausage are a great breakfast combo, with or without eggs. A little fruit tossed in with things (like chicken salad) goes a long way with kids whose palates are less suited to bitter foods until they get older.
  26. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

Day 21 Good morning! Here's a rundown of NSV areas: Sleep: Still good - sleeping pretty much solidly through the night. Vivid dreams. Skin: I think my chin acne is...maybe...healing?! We'll see, but it feels less "angry" and there doesn't seem to be more developing. Otherwise good - after taking a break from benzoyl peroxide my skin doesn't feel as tight and dry, either. Digestion: A bit better, maybe. I got digestive enzymes last week and have been taking them daily, along with the fish oil I take normally. Energy: Good - I'm able to sustain focus throughout the day, and I the afternoon slump is long gone. It's hard to believe we're only 9 days from the end of our Whole30. Last night, I didn't end up having time to make the greek potatoes for dinner, so we just had the meatballs and green beans - yum! After dinner, I had a banana with cashew butter and coconut flakes with a limonello La Croix - the limoncello flavor is so good! Meals: M1: 3 scrambled eggs with marinated onions, 2 slices crisped prosciutto, & olives and artichoke hearts - we don't have much in the way of veggies ready to go for breakfast, so this'll have to do. M2: Either Tuna Salad stuffed bell peppers if I get it together to make them, or leftover meatballs w tzatziki and green beans. M3: Burger Deluxe Stuffed Baked Potatoes (http://meljoulwan.com/2019/01/15/burger-deluxe-potato/) with roasted broccoli
  27. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Yesterday was Day 2 and I'm counting it. We stopped at Burger King last night on our way home from puppy class, and I got 2 Whopper patties just with tomato, onion, lettuce. Came home and put Tessamae's ranch on it, and ate the whole thing in a bowl with a fork. Ate an "ok" amount of pistachios, and promptly passed out on the couch. I woke up this morning googling to see what BK might use on/in their burger patties that is not approved. But you know what? I'm over it. If anyone knows, and wants to call me out -- great! (Said seriously, not sarcastically). Otherwise, I'm moving on with my life. I have too many other things to do, and it just isn't that important to me. This is probably another huge, glaring reason I have said in the past I wouldn't do another Whole 30. I don't need that careful, reintroduction stage to convince me that all of the things eliminated are not good for me. I already know it. Agree with it. And I believe that some combination of Whole 30 foods is the best way for me to eat for life. BUT. I do not want to go from one extreme to the other: "anything goes" ----> "Good Lord, I can't eat anything from a drive-through, ever". Yep. Sometimes we're a drive-through family. That's my reality, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. But we have come SO far in the past month or so. Someday, I will share the ridiculous amount of money we were spending on restaurants and crappy food in general. So I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Yesterday was Day 2. And life went on. And it was good.
  1. Load more activity