All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. meli22

Round 2

Day 3 B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 poached eggs; cucumber slices, 1/2 baked yam, handful of cherries S = tomato slices, 1/4 avocado, bit of roast chicken L = zucchini noodles w/ marinara sauce; sardines w/ olive oil, capers & pickled red onion; cucumber slices & sugar snap peas S = handful of cherries, closed handful of sunflower seeds; la croix D = smoothie (blueberries, zucchini, cauliflower, red cabbage, ground flaxseed, fish oil, compliant protein powder) exercise = 30 min run Slept better! I want to cut back on my fruit consumption as soon as cherry season peters out. Summer fruit only comes once a year and cherries are my favourite. I know smoothies are frowned upon in this program but I felt it was ok since this one was more vegetable than fruit - does that make it more soup than smoothie? Though it sounds pretty gross, it was really good (I couldn't taste the vegetables at all, just tasted like a creamy blueberry smoothie). I'm going to try to avoid smoothies for the rest of my program, however, as I notice they do leave me a bit... puffy.
  4. meli22

Round 2

@Kirra Good luck! I'm excited to see how your Whole30 progresses! Let's cross our fingers for glowing complexions
  5. Yesterday
  6. Kirra

Take Advantage

Hello MadyVanilla! I am a Whole30 newbie on Day 3 of the program. I'm checking out the forums for the first time today. I was skimming through yours, and I want to tell you that you are an inspiration! Good job on making it to day 28 of 60! You are so ambitious to go for a Whole60; that's a Long. Time. In one of your early posts, you are beating yourself up about not doing the things you know you should do and reading and playing video games instead. That definitely resonates with me! Adulting is HARD! LoL One thing that I found helped me was setting little (and few) goals so as to not get overwhelmed. DO ALL THE THINGS is wonderful, but I'd get burnt out, and feel like a discouraged failure if I did some of the things and not the others, the ones I know I'm putting off.. I found a "To-Do List" where each page is TWO THINGS. You could check off two boxes and know that you accomplished something and celebrate the little victories and small steps (like your ice cube example!). So "Work Out EVERY DAY" turned into "work out for 30 minutes today" or "go on a long walk." A list of 30 things turned into a list of the two I knew were reasonable but NEEDED to happen. And this was progress. More progress than before. It was a good start. Something as opposed to Nothing. On my less ambitious days, this is what I need. Also, as to the books, video games, and journaling, there's definitely something to be said for limiting time and doing other necessary and healthy things, but also... "Time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted." Don't be TOO hard on yourself. Thank you for sharing so much! I look forward to reading some future posts.
  7. Once upon a time, at LEAST two years ago, my mother-in-love told me about this interesting food thing that her sister had done. Where you cut out sugar, bread, dairy, and alcohol for a whole month just to reset your body. Then, by slowly reintroducing them to your diet, you could see how certain things you are putting into your body are affecting you. I was instantly intrigued. I've never gone on a diet or even thought about going on one, as I've never really struggled with weight (lucky genes, I think- my father was a beanpole at my age). BUT I've never been able to fully get rid of my acne, no matter what topically solutions I tried. So the idea of what I'm putting INTO my body potentially being the cause of acne coming OUT made all the sense in the world. You don't know what you don't know. Then there was a lot of normal Life that happened: crazy-busy jobs, travel, buying a home for the first time, switching jobs, family stuff... and Whole30 never happened. I shamefully told my coworkers each week, "No, we haven't started yet." ...until they stopped asking all together. Fast forward to now. IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING! We started on July 1. I had expressed my skin frustrations to boyfriend at the beginning of June, and he said "Let's do this!" We spent the month reading, learning, and prepping... and then we actually started!!! We are now on Day 3! My work schedule has been insane, so boyfriend has been doing pretty much ALL the cooking so far (he's a school teacher and has the summers off). Thank goodness for that, or else this might have Never happened. Healthiest month of my life, here I come! NSVs: 1. Clearer skin/less breakouts 2. Kick my daily Dr. Pepper habit (it is the sweet, sweet Nectar of Life) 3. More energy/less tired (examples: after-lunch slump, exhausted on a weekday evening after a long day of work, more energy to ride bikes and workout) 4. Be more active! (see above) 5. Get up in the mornings (It is a struggle, man. If people were meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters. I'm a proud Night Owl, always have been, but it'd be nice to be better at mornings when I have to be, to NOT hit snooze 10 times, and to have a stomach that is awake enough to eat breakfast at 7AM.) Wish me luck!!!
  8. Kirra

Round 2

Meli, we have the same start date!!! (except for this is my FIRST time doing the Whole30, so total newbie here!) One of my biggest NSVs I'm hoping for is clearer skin, so I feel your pain there. So excited for you. Good luck! You can do it! (I'm gonna go start my own log now - this online community is very cool)
  9. Kirra

OJ with Carbonated Water

Hooray! Thank you, Shannon! :-) We recently got a carbonating machine (before we even decided to do Whole30), just to spend less money on sparkling water and those flavored "Ice" drinks. Glad to know this is Whole30 compliant - I like drinking different flavors from time to time. Also, I'm really excited to try those mocktails! Thanks for the link.
  10. meli22

Round 2

@MadyVanilla I know, right?! Is sun tea when you let it steep for a few hours in the sun? I usually do a mix of nettles and hibiscus
  11. RachelR

Take Advantage

@MadyVanilla I also fear that I might be nightshade sensitive. But I absolutely LOVE bell peppers, etc. Like you, I am going to try to be more aware of how I feel when I eat them and try to not overindulge.
  12. RachelR

RachelR- Start Date May 4, 2020

2 months in to my journey and I measured and weighed/took pictures again today. Referencing the beginning pictures definitely helps because day to day it is hard to see or feel the progress. Here are the results: (Measured myself so they may not be exactly accurate). S=start; C=current Waist @ belly button- S= 53.5"; C= 50" Waist @ narrowest point- S= 45"; C= 42 1/4" Hips- S= 54"; C= 51 1/2" Thighs- Right- S= 29 3/4"; C=29" Left- S= 30"; C= 28 1/2" Calves- Right- S= 18 1/4"; C=17 3/4" Left- S= 18 3/4"; C= 17 1/2" Biceps (making a muscle)- Right- S= 17 1/2"; C=17" Left- S= 17 1/4"; C= 16 7/8" Wrists- Right- S= 7 1/4"; C= 7" Left- S= 7 1/4"; C= 7" Neck- S= 15"; C= 14 3/4" Bust- S= 49"; C= 46 1/4" (not sure if this is right but I measured twice) Chest S= 43"; C= 42 1/2" As far as weight goes- I'm happy that the scale is continuing to move downward. I think it could be more but I started my cycle last night so I'm sure that fluctuated things up a bit. I think I'll weigh in again next week to see the difference between on cycle and not on my cycle. I continue to walk a half hour a day (only missed 2 days in the past two months) at a comfortable-ish speed for me (about 2.5 mph). I decided that I want to add in some type of strength activity so I'm planning on doing this arm workout at least 4x/week for the full weeks going forward. Here is a close up "before" picture of my arm today July 3rd. I'm excited to gain strength and some definition. We'll see how this works. As far as food goes, I continue to eat primarily Whole30 meals/recipes. There were a couple intentional meals where I went off plan and that was because my best friend was in town. I thought it was a special enough occasion to not have to overly worry about Whole30 while we were out. Last Saturday we met for dinner. I really wanted to try some place that I had never been before and I wanted to make sure there was outdoor seating along with somewhere that seemed relatively safe given this COVID-19 pandemic. We tried a place called The Lazy Goat here in Greenville. I got the Lazy Paella dish which was rice, grilled chicken, chorizo, and green beans. I usually hate green beans but I gave them a try. They were blanched (I think?) and still crisp. I didn't mind them too much. The rest of the dish lacked flavor in my opinion. So, after trying several bites, I ended up just searching for all the meat and left a lot of rice behind. My friend mentioned wanting gelato and... y'all- if I've had any specific cravings since starting this in May- it has been ice cream. We walked around and found a place that sold gelato. I decided that if there was sorbet that I would get that since it wouldn't have dairy in it but they did not have any. I ended up treating myself to a scoop of "Peanut Royal." And I was able to enjoy every bite. Old Rachel would have got the 2 or 3 scoop- thinking the 1 scoop wouldn't cut it. But, it was more than enough. Then, on Sunday we met for lunch. I wanted to share one of my favorite taco places because it's one place that I truly love the dish I get every time. I made a conscious decision to order my tacos on lettuce instead of a tortilla. While the other ingredients may not have been compliant (fried shrimp, pimento cheese, etc) it felt like a healthier option. After these meals- I tried to pay attention to how I felt. I had a bit of headache and some stomach cramps as well as feeling tired. I'm sure a lot was dairy related from both the gelato and the extras on the tacos but I think some of it was also due to anxiety of being out in public amidst COVID-19. There were sooooooo many people without masks as we walked around downtown Greenville. While I enjoyed seeing my friend and it was nice to try a new place and visit a favorite- I think I will plan on primarily sticking to home cooked meals or easy Whole30 to go (like Zoe's Kitchen and Chipotle- which I both enjoy). It also hit home- that if I'm going to splurge on ice cream then make it something that will taste good. So glad that I got that scoop of gelato rather than a Sonic Blast from Sonic (which always sounds delicious but in reality never tastes truly great). Also, I realized that I am capable of making cheaper and (in some instances) better tasting food at home. Also, I realized that I can make an intentional choice instead of an impulsive one to eat something and then get right back on track. I was afraid that once I stepped out of the boundaries of the Whole30 rules that I would end up just giving up. I also started reading Food Freedom Forever over the past week and hope to gain more insight on how to continue my journey.
  13. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

The ground beef and broccoli was delicious at first, but quickly got tiresome. I think I put too much mushroom powder in it. I have lots of leftovers, and I think adding spinach to it will make it more palatable. Bike tune-up....I went out to load my bike into the back of my vehicle, but couldn't find my bike! I forgot that I told my husband to give it to Salvation Army last time he cleaned out the garage, lol! I had researched where and how much it would cost to have it tuned and get new tires but then had to go back and research a new bike. I was able to find one that cost less than the tune-up would have, and drove 40 minutes to pick it up. So now I have a new bike! It has only one gear, but luckily it's pretty flat around here. My brief ride down the street demonstrated my need to develop leg strength, but it will come. I'm excited to ride! A long yoga session last night was tough - I'm a little sore today, I think between the yoga, the brief bike ride, and the squats. Day 28/60 Energy-9, Mood-8, Pain-2. Awake at 5:00 a.m. this morning, laid in bed until 5:30 (may have drifted back to sleep) - yay! This is what i want, to get up easily at 5:30 after a good night's sleep. Got dressed and took the dog walking, ugh so hot and humid even that early. I had planned a long walk, but pain was evident from early on, so I only did 1 1/2 miles. Progress on July goals: Goal 1: I did an hour of an intense yin class last night - I'm usually able to hold the poses for the specified time, but I struggled last night. I think that's a testament to what happens when I don't keep up with the practice. I'm looking forward to how much improvement I make in my flexibility this month. Goal 2: I did my push-up training and 5 lunges/leg in-between each set. I rode by my gym at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. It didn't look too crowded...maybe next week. M1: Chicken salad with celery M2: Leftover beef and broccoli with spinach M3: Chicken Caesar salad I started listening to Atomic Habits during my walk this morning. It's very eye-opening. The idea of developing systems for doing things rather than goals - everyone wants to lose weight, but it's the ones that make changes to their system of doing things that are successful. And the idea that small changes and choices everyday add up over time, but may not be noticeable until you level-up. The idea that an ice cube doesn't start to melt in a cold room even though the temperature steadily rises until that temp reaches 33. Everything makes great sense so far. I feel like I knew these things, but the book brings clarity and structure to what I knew. I'm within the safety of my W60 right now, but I have the worry in the back of my mind about what happens in the afterward. Plan for the day is to go for a bike ride and then decide if I want to brave the beach. It's going to be very crowded, I'm sure. I also need to shop for groceries. I meal-planned yesterday.
  14. MadyVanilla

Round 2

It's amazing how much a poor night of sleep impacts mood. I also tend to crave more carbs and sweets after a night of poor sleep. I love the idea of a pitcher of herbal ice tea - I'm inspired to make sun tea today. Congratulations on completing day 2!
  15. meli22

Round 2

Day 2 B = coffee w/ almond milk; chicken-veg stew w/ zucchini noodles & drizzle of fish oil L = sardines w/ olive oil, pickled red onion, capers & sunflower seeds; tomato, cucumber, sauerkraut, pickled radishes & peppers; a tangerine S = bit of roast chicken; la croix (aka clown water) D = zucchini noodles w/ compliant marinara sauce; roast chicken; 1/2 baked oriental yam (it was huge); handful of cherries for dessert exercise = ran errands on foot (about 70 mins walking total) - plan to go for a brisk 20-30 min exercise walk this evening. I slept so poorly last night that today was a write-off. Deeply depressed but that's what sleep-deprivation does to me so hopefully tomorrow will be better. I made a point of not having an afternoon coffee today, so fingers crossed. Lunch today was definitely not enough food. After eating some starchy carb my mood lifted considerably, so there you go I find I drink more water if I make a point of making a large pitcher of herbal ice tea the night before - will start incorporating this into my pre-bedtime routine.
  16. ShannonM816

Day 30 & Still Bloated

In general raw vegetables are more likely to cause bloating than cooked ones, so you might try cooked vegetables for a few days and see if that helps, then you'll just have to play with the amounts of salad and raw veggies you have going forward to find an amount you can have without getting bloated. If that doesn't seem to help, it could be something like fodmaps (https://www.thepaleomom.com/modifying-paleo-for-fodmap-intolerance/) or nightshades (https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-are-nightshades/). Either of those can be a lot to try to eliminate, but some people find relief from eliminating one or the other. And of course, it could be something not food related at all, so it might be worth talking to your doctor about just to rule out any medical issues.
  17. ShannonM816

OJ with Carbonated Water

Those two ingredients are fine, and using a splash of juice in water or carbonated water is fine. If you want some other drink ideas you might like some of these: https://whole30.com/mocktails/
  18. Last week
  19. Missy8

Day 30 & Still Bloated

@laura_juggles Would you recommend less salad? I also normally do eat 3 meals but the past week have not had the appetite because of bloating.
  20. Looking for something to drink that is less boring than water. The orange juice contains: 100% Orange juice, calcium hydroxide, citric acid, malic acid, and vitamin D3. I know I'm not supposed to just drink fruit juice, but if I put a lot of water and a little OJ and carbonate it, would that be okay? Specifically, I am wondering if calcium hydroxide and malic acid are compliant with the program??? (I know that the OJ, citric acid and D3 are fine.) Thanks!
  21. emcate97

My Whole 30 Log - June 2020

Day 18: - Lunch: salad - Dinner: roasted potatoes and sausage
  22. SkinnyJess2

Adrenal Fatigue

I am about to start my first Whole30. Can anyone give me a testimony about Whole30 healing their adrenal fatigue? I need hope. Thanks, Jessica
  23. TEwhole30

Vegan Shopping List

Hi All, I've done 1 round of W30 in the past, turned out soy was a trigger for me! ....so was almond butter, sad day! Legumes however were not a problematic food for me. I'm now wanting to embark on my own version of a whole 30 vegan style .... I understand I'm not really doing the whole 30. What I'm hoping a moderator can help me with is a vegan shopping list ... I found the vegetarian one listed on the website .... but I've seen another one floating around that is vegan specific and has legumes listed on it ... I wanted to see if this was just made out in the world by somebody or it was actually provided by W30, I am attaching it below, I'm having trouble finding it not blurry but if it's real I'd love to find it! Thank you!
  24. Jim4884

Re-Intro Fail #facepalm

Hey Emily! Weren't we in Dragonslayers together a couple of years back? Nice to read you again. You are correct, the rice bran oil is what makes barbacoa non-compliant. There is no soy in it. Hope all is well...
  25. Not rambling at all - and congratulations on completing a Whole 30! Let me preface my reply by emphasizing that I am NOT a moderator, but I have completed two Whole 30's, and have been maintaining food freedom at about 95% compliant for 3 years, and have certainly learned a lot about how food affects me. I am lucky in some regards, as I discovered that no food is going to cause me significant distress if eaten one time in moderation. However, the cumulative effect of switching my diet has been profoundly life changing in a positive way. In terms of reintroducing something you were intolerant to - I would suggest that it depends on how badly you would like to have that item in your diet on an occasional basis. If you don't miss it, don't bother. As far as gluten goes, I don't recall specifically what I did for my re-intros, but I would definitely suggest making sure you complete a proper re-intro of dairy separately and soy separately before doing gluten - that should help separate any impacts from the mixed ingredients, if that makes sense. Good luck! Jim
  26. meli22

Round 2

Day 1 B = coffee w/ almond milk; 2 hardboiled eggs, handful of cherries, tomato wedges, 1/4 avocado L = roast chicken w/ skin, tangerine, cucumber slices, pickled peppers, sauerkraut S = coffee w/ almond milk; last of the cherries, sunflower seeds D = chicken-vegetable stew w/ zucchini noodles & drizzle of fish oil exercise = cursed and scowled my way through 40 mins yoga
  27. MadyVanilla

Take Advantage

I received magic mushroom powder and Hawaiian sea salt in the mail yesterday - I'm planning to make kalua pig next week from Nom Nom Paleo. I can't remember whose journal I saw that in last week, but it sounds delicious. I'm not even sure why I ordered the magic mushroom (I can't recall what recipe I was looking at), but I'm going to figure out a way to use it with ground beef for tonight's dinner. Day 27/60 Energy-9, Mood-9, Pain-0. Awake at 6:20 am and up for a longer walk. This is much better than I have been over the last week, but I really want to be waking naturally between 5:30 and 6:00. I feel really great today, though! Progress on July goals: I did 15 minutes of yoga last night - a friend came by late afternoon and we sat on the front porch and chatted for a few hours. She drank her wine, I drank my club soda. It was awesome! That cut into my usual yoga time, so I did it late evening, before turning on the television. This morning, I added air squats in-between my push-up sets. I broke a bit of a sweat in the 10 minutes I was working through that. M1-chicken salad and celery over garden greens. I'm doing ok with this little bit of curry. I probably have another day or two before this is gone, then I'll go nightshade-free for five days. M2-The final bit of chicken and zucchini. It was good heated in ghee with some spinach added for last night's dinner. I'll probably do the same thing for lunch. M3-Is a ground beef stir fry weird? Ground beef and broccoli with magic mushroom powder and some coconut aminos. Tomorrow's grocery day, I don't have any other meats! I'm going to take my bike for a tune-up today. My friend and I decided last night we would start riding bikes together. I'm so excited about this! I have not ridden my bike in exactly 10 years - I did a sprint triathalon the July of the summer I turned 40. That was the last time I rode my bike.
  28. stavasci

Can we eat yucca?

Thank you
  29. laura_juggles

Day 30 & Still Bloated

The main thing that strikes me is you're eating only two meals and a fair amount of salads.
  1. Load more activity