All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ShannonM816

Joint Pain Day 12

No, this isn't really normal. Is this pain you'd had before whole30 that went away and came back, or just something totally new? Have you changed anything else -- started exercising or just generally being more active, or stopped taking a medication or supplement? Is there any kind of weather system near you that might be affecting how you feel? (I know that last one seems weird, but especially if the pain seems related to any previous injury, there are people who find weather changes can affect their pain.) If you haven't changed anything else, it's possible that something you're eating is not working well for you. What immediately comes to mind here is nightshades. Many people find eating them, especially in large quantities, causes joint pain, and since they include things like peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes it is possible you're eating more of them than normal. Read through this and see if it seems like a possibility: https://www.thepaleomom.com/what-are-nightshades/
  3. Today
  4. masonjar87

Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

Ohhhhhhhh, guyyyyyyys...I screwed up! I had an appointment to donate blood today--no problem. Brought an apple and cucumber to avoid the post-donation juice and cookies. Was all proud of myself for thinking ahead. Afterwards the volunteers offered a box of snacks that had raisins, pretzels, cheese crackers, Oreos, etc. Again, no problem. I was prepared--or so I thought. I selected the pretzels and ate them without even thinking about it!! I took the raisins, too...and even looked at the ingredients on BOTH packages! ("Neither had added sugar, so I thought hey these are great!") I even ate the apple I brought! It didn't hit me until I WAS HALFWAY BACK HOME that I had just eaten a packet of pretzels!!! You guys, I feel so silly!! LOL I'm weighing out whether or not to start over or just finish out the rest of the Whole30 as-is. I'm definitely not giving up, just a matter of whether tomorrow is Day 1 or Day 16! Thoughts, anyone? What would you do?
  5. ilovethesea

Hello everyone! I also started July 8th and have felt great every other day after the first week but now I am having joint pain. Has anyone else had bad joint pain after the first week? Mine has been so bad starting yesterday afternoon (let up this morning a bit) and has been just as bad this afternoon. I was achy a bit here and there the first week, but this is way worse. Is this normal??
  6. ilovethesea

Joint Pain Day 12

Is it normal to have severe joint pain after the first week? I had a few aches last week but starting yesterday afternoon, the pain hit and it has been brutal. I woke up this morning a little achy but now the pain is back and with a vengeance. Is this normal???
  7. Starlight89

Starting July 1 - Anyone want to join me?

Happy Day 19, everyone! Hope everyone's hanging in there, we're nearly 2/3rd in! Well, not counting reintroduction, of course. Have a great weekend, all!
  8. Amy_Michigan

Amy's Whole 30 Log Starting July 15, 2019

Thanks Shannon! You are right. It was so satisfying when I had avocado on Day 1. I need to add that back in for sure! I haven't bought any sweet potatoes yet, so I will have to add that to my list.
  9. ShannonM816

When you make a salad, try adding some kind of root vegetables to it -- leftover roasted sweet potatoes or beets, or pickled beets if you like them, or carrots either raw or cooked. Or add some homemade plantain chips. The starchier vegetables seem to have more staying power, at least to me, so adding some of them to my salads seems to keep me full longer. You might also try including solid fats in your salad -- avocado or olives or occasionally nuts or seeds. It can be in addition to your dressing. They might help you feel more satisfied.
  10. LadyWolf0926

LadyWolf's Whole 30 Log

Began Whole 30 on 7/10/2019, and I'm on Day 10. So far, not too bad. I've done keto, and for me, this seems easier especially since I actually feel like I have WAY more food choices. I know it doesn't occur that way for everyone, and I am empathetic to that fact, but I have a funny feeling the best is yet to come - lol. Since beginning the diet, I have had the occasional headache here and there but nothing debilitating. Almost immediately, I noticed a change in how I felt overall. I woke up Day 2 feeling more energized for the day and less foggy, and then felt the hard crash mid-afternoon. Then, about Day 3, the bloat started shedding. Of course, I was also drinking more water, so the two went hand-in-hand. I felt pretty good, cruising right along and wham-mo - it's hit me. The "Kill All the Things" has hit me. I woke up yesterday feeling like miss super cranky-pants. I am completely aware of this happening, so I am working remotely right now. No one at the office needs to be in the way of "this". I was expecting this around Day 4 (Whole 30 Day-by-Day) but nope - it's a delayed reaction for my body. Super. I love the daily guidebook, tho - I feel like it's helping me mentally prep and as soon as the KATT hit, I knew exactly what it was. The awesome part is it has come right along side some gnarly food cravings. I mean like cravings for tortillas, tamales, Chinese dumplings or bao - it's been BAD! So, for the Chinese dumpling/bao, I just cut off all internet access to anything that might come across as a temptation. Videos of Szechuan dumplings in spicy chili oil are no longer crossing my feed. That's helped. As far as the craving for Mexican, I curtailed that by making a compliant taco salad. Lots of romaine, green leaf, tomatoes, avocado, lime juice and a serving of slow cooker beef barbacoa (topped with a dollop of Primal Kitchen chipotle lime mayo), and the craving vanished. Cravings are a bit better today, I'm not having my mid-afternoon snack anymore, but I'm still mildly cranky. I'm not that worried about it; I know I'll get through it. Meal prep hasn't been too hard, and the family is mostly eating the same Whole 30 options as me for dinner; that makes family mealtime a lot less stressful. Leftovers have been working great as a pre-breakfast meal prep. Last night's meatloaf is this morning's meatloaf browned in ghee topped with an egg. I'm actually surprised that, tortillas aside, I'm not craving bread or pasta. At least not yet. I have been able to cook french toast or a loaf of Italian bread for the family, and I've not really had a desire to nibble. It's still pretty early on for me, I am expecting some mental push-back as I get further down the road towards the end of my first 30 days, but I have my "rescue" buddies on speed dial if I run in to any issues. So, today - despite my cranky 'tude - has gone pretty well. Coffee this morning (unsweetened) with nut pods creamer. I'm actually starting to like my coffee this way and am not missing stevia anymore. I have also used Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream, and that's amazing too. A serving of beef barbacoa topped with an egg for breakfast Green leaf lettuce wraps with chicken salad and a side of blueberries for lunch (leftover chicken diced with onion, celery, lime juice and Primal Kitchen Garlic Aioli Mayo - so good) Dinner is going to be another "taco" salad like last night. It was 100% compliant comfort food, and I loved it! Next on the list today is to clean out the freezer. I have so much food in there that needs to be eaten, and this will help with some of the grocery bill this week. Once I know what I have, then I will complete meal prep for the coming week and start weekly prep tomorrow morning after breakfast. It'll be a good day for it too; 75% chance of thunderstorms all day. First NSV for today was my deep tissue massage therapist (who is someone I see all the time) noticing I've "shrunk" a little. His first comment was "you look like you've lost about 15 pounds". We talked about Whole 30, how it works, why I'm doing it, how different my body feels already, and he was so excited for me! The second NSV occurred as we went through my therapy session (I had a total double knee replacement 6 months ago, and this is part of rehab). My LMT said he could definitely feel a difference in my leg composition. I was also less inflamed. When we first started the therapy a few weeks ago, any leg muscle he touched would about send me off the table. Today, it still hurts, but it was WAY more manageable.
  11. kristilarson

I made the mistake of not taking my daily omeprazole yesterday. I thought, 'Maybe my heartburn will magically be gone after 10 days without fried foods, alcohol, sugar, etc.' I mean, I know I have the hiatal hernia, but it's a small one, so I thought maybe dietary changes would help knock the heartburn down. NOPE! I thought I was going to throw up during my workout. I took a pill last night, and then my regular dose this morning. I'm almost feeling back to normal. Maybe I'll try it again at 30 days, but I'm expecting more of the same, so I'm not sure it's worth it. Day 12 is mostly over! This weekend could be a challenge for me...I'm participating in a read-a-thon so I know I'll be snacky! I'll be reading 24 out of 48 hours, with the rest of the time dedicated to sleep and meals and mini breaks. I know I need to make a meal plan for the weekend, but I haven't had time yet today.
  12. Amy_Michigan

Day 4 Continued It's 2pm and I am WAY hungrier today than prior days. Having a salad for lunch with a huge amount of chicken and extra virgin olive oil and veggies did not keep me full for very long at all! I think my body is starting to put up a fight and ask for more donuts please, instead of all the good stuff, because it was getting SO MANY more calories than I am probably eating now. I bet I ate more than 3,000 calories per day before (with stops at Tim Hortons for donuts, and Starbucks runs for drinks and bakery items all the time). So I guess my body is probably adjusting to (if I had to guess) 1,500-1,800 calories. I'm not tracking, but olive oil, nuts, and meat can only add so many, and veggies and fruit are like nothing calorie-wise. SO, to deal with my hunger, I made a run to the health food store again. I got some Applegate deli meat (Smoked Turkey Breast) to snack on, as well as some Rx bars. I already chowed some it down and I'm waiting patiently for the hunger pangs to go away. Guess I will go grab some water while I am waiting! I would do some green tea, but it is like 95 degrees out!
  13. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! Having a second pair of eyes look at the ingredients was just what I needed. Thank you again!!
  14. Laura of The Great White North

Don't feel bad @KaraS. This is why we're here - to support each other through the good and the bad. I have not been feeling well the last two days. It's been a struggle to eat because I have no appetite. But I make sure that what I do end up eating it's on plan, even if it's not perfect. I hope we all get through these next few days and feel better by Monday!
  15. Marianne&Daniel

Protein Powder

Is there a Whole30 compliant protein powder that I can use to add into certain recipes?
  16. KaraS

Can I have Vidatea teatox?

Thanks everyone I won’t purchase it. I received a sample and it tasted good but I haven’t felt well since I drank it yesterday and my Dr already has me taking aloe for constipation as needed. Is that also a laxative? It works really well if that helps anyone.
  17. KaraS

Day 12 and my back pain this morning is so bad I can’t handle it. On my way to the Dr. I have been taking less medicine and I’m sure that’s why. I also think candida die off is making everything worse and I’m going to talk to Dr about that too. Yesterday I had 2 emergency bars which I feel bad about since I should stay away from dried fruit and have been, but there was a birthday celebration and I wasn’t prepared for it and it was the cake or the Rx bar. The best I could do was that. I just want to not hurt. At least I don’t want to eat off plan right now although I don’t feel like eating at all. I am just not in a good place right now and I honestly feel bad about posting something so negative. Maybe if I share the feelings then they won’t take me over and I can get past it. I believe this story will have a happy ending. Healthy eating habits- I have a long way to go...
  18. Marianne&Daniel

Whole30 (round 2) here we come!

Hello Whole30 Community! My husband and I started our first round of Whole30 on June 18 and just finished this past Wednesday. I can't believe how fast the 30 days went! I feel more energetic than I have in a long time - I feel great! Yesterday we had oatmeal for breakfast with cinnamon and blueberries (no added sugar) and the rest of our meals were still Whole30. I have come to the realization that I still need to continue with Whole30 for an additional 30 days. I've had so many years of bad eating habits and I know that if I go back to adding in stuff with sugar in it that I will go down a bad path. Round 2 here we come!
  19. Jihanna

My brain's managing to not pull information correctly now, apparently... I could've sworn I remembered something connecting goji berries and paprika, but maybe it was just that they'd both be removed when avoiding nightshades. Definitely something to mentally note and hope I don't forget along the way! Apologies for the misinformation on that one. I do stand by the rest of the information and opinions given, though.
  20. ashleyparik

Hi Amy! Keep up the great work. I loved reading through your entries on your Whole30 journey thus far. I think keeping a journal of some sort, whether it's here, or a video journal or actually writing things down will be really helpful. It will also be fun to look back on your journey once you complete your Whole30 to see just how far you've come. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to support you! Best of luck! You got this! Ashley
  21. ShannonM816

Nope, paprika is ground dried bell or sweet peppers.
  22. ShannonM816

Meal Planner - how to cut back on meat?

I'm not sure if you're using Real Plans or something else, and I haven't used a meal planning app anyway so I can't really speak to how to adapt that for your purposes. What I can say is that whole30 recommends following the meal template for each meal, which you can download here: https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/. This is just a recommendation, what we believe will get you the best results, and you are free to not follow it if you want, but definitely check it out and see how it compares to what the meal planner is recommending. I know you're not vegetarian, but some of the information about doing whole30 as a vegetarian might be helpful to you: https://whole30.com/2017/06/veg-whole30/. There might be something helpful in this article as well: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/.
  23. Amy_Michigan

I have decided to do a video log at the end of each week of my Whole30, showing my progress. If I end up posting it somewhere I will share I think this will hold me accountable and show my progress so I can look back and see what the Whole30 did for me later on.
  24. Just started a whole30, bought the meal planner and all the ingredients I didn't have for the first day, and then I realized... I normally eat this much meat in a month. Not a day. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, I've just never felt like I needed to eat that much meat. Surely suddenly downing 115g bacon and "1 turkey sausage" (assuming that's like maybe 250g? I bought 300g of it just to be sure) in a day can't go well, right? Sure enough, I started feeling tired and sluggish some time after my breakfast consisting mainly of bacon. Not completely sure it was the culprit, but - how do you cut back on meat in the meal planner? Not completely eliminate it - getting some in small quantities a couple times a week would be nice. I tried applying the "vegetarian" filter to most of my meals in a week, but turns out only 3 lunch/dinner recipes have this tag, and I'm not sure I want to prepare me 40 servings of ratatouille during the course of the program. Cycling between the "Whole30" and "Vegetarian" meal plans is definitely an option - the latter seems to have a few more lunches/dinners if you eliminate all the things eliminated in a regular W30, it's just not very convenient to have to completely rewrite the entire meal plan several times a week. If anyone's had a similar experience I'd love to hear from you! I really like the feel of this meal planner and it'd be sad to have to resort to using something else :/ (I guess I could just decrease the quantities of meat and increase those of everything else in the recipes?)
  25. FairyL0u

'paprika is made from goji berries' I don't think Paprika is made from goji berries...
  26. Amy_Michigan

Day 4 I was too tired last night to eat any snacks, even though I was a tiny bit hungry. So I woke up very hungry and my usual breakfast has not sufficed to settling the hunger pangs. I am going to snack on some fruit (apple or banana) to get me through to lunch. In a previous Whole30 I was a breakfast queen, making exactly the kind of breakfast that Whole30 guides recommend. However, it is going to take me a bit to work up to that. I didn't have any time to make eggs this morning, and I do not like hardboiled eggs, quiches, egg salad or any other eggy type of food for breakfast. Maybe someday that will sound good, but for now, it's either potatoes & fat, or eggs & potatoes & fat for breakfast. I like my eggs fried, hot & the yolk medium to hard. That is the only way. I eat plenty of protein with lunch and dinners. If I need it I will add some sunflower seed butter to my apple slices in the morning.
  27. Good luck on your exam! As far as I can tell, all of the ingredients listed here are compliant (though of course there would be a note about suggesting you eat your food, not drink it, if you were currently doing a Whole30 round -- since you're not, I'll skip that ). That said... No one here's going to be able to tell you definitively that nothing in this powder will affect you negatively, because that's just not something we could possibly know. We can give input, thoughts, etc., but ultimately it's down to how your body reacts to the ingredients. I hope it works for you
  1. Load more activity