All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Jihanna

Black beans bad fad?

I can't speak to the science parts in terms of why they're bad or whether or not any specific preparation can make them acceptable... but I can say that soy doesn't seem to be restricted on account of it being soy, but rather on account of it being a legume -- which also includes beans and peanuts, so it makes sense that if you're introducing legumes in general that you might have all three unless you suspect there may be issues with a particular one. Personally, I did a slower reintroduction phase which allowed me to break apart the categories and test out specific foods separately (including separate days for peanuts, soy, and beans in general)... and I'm glad I did, because it allowed me to pinpoint some foods as more troublesome than others within the same category.
  4. eIissa

EIissa's Whole30 Log (5/23/19 - 6/22/19)

Thank you! I prefer it to lettuce wraps (although I'll probably do those equally as frequently), because it has a much more bread-like quality somehow - you can sink your teeth into it, which makes all the difference. Reheated in the toaster/toaster oven, it gets a little bit crispier/more reminiscent of toast. Still a little squishier, though.
  5. eIissa

EIissa's Whole30 Log (5/23/19 - 6/22/19)

Day 2 down! Managed to get everything in the picture, too! Pictured: Roasted spaghetti squash seeds Egg cups and sweet potato from yesterday; side of blackberries Guacamole chicken salad/sweet potato/arugula again; sugar snap peas; GT's guava kombucha Almond butter (about a tablespoon, not the whole jar ... although I wanted to); Fuji apple Barnana banana-coconut bites (only two ingredients!) Half a spaghetti squash (this was super filling and I'm baffled and proud that I ate all of it) with red pepper flakes, olive oil, salt, black pepper, and nutritional yeast; arugula with balsamic vinegar; 2 jalapeño chicken sausage links. Exercise: About 60 minutes (~9k steps) of walking to and from work Feelings: I still feel a little bit bloated, but it is diminishing already. I had an easier time not snacking as much today (still getting there), which I think is due to adding more to my meals and increasing healthy fats. I was always scared of fats because they were so high-cal, but I'm starting to see firsthand why they are so essential! At risk of TMI, I have been exceptionally regular, which is a win for me. I still feel quite optimistic about the whole program. I haven't yet hit the "hangover" stage that the Whole30 timeline mentions. Hoping this momentum carries on!
  6. Lindseydalton

Beginning June 1

Good luck! You can do it!!
  7. Yesterday
  8. Ktbkitten

Poo Questions

They are light in color. I was thinking about asking my doctor if it continues. It’s just never happened before and I was like what?! Thanks for the response. Hopefully it will just take a few days of adjustment and I’ll be back to normal. Today was a little better
  9. Tricie

I'm STARVING!!!

Oh boy! I will start W30 on Monday, and had decided I wouldn’t use too much fat. As a breast cancer survivor, I’m concerned about red meat and fat. BUT, I’m going for it. 30 days is not forever...so I’m going to add the fat. Smh...
  10. I absolutely love the collage and your food creativity. What is the texture of the sweet potato "bread" like?
  11. LindsayO

Walmart Frozen Meals

Has anyone tried the Walmart Whole30 frozen meals? If so, are they good and which ones are the best? I'm hesitant try eat frozen meals as most of them usually taste bad, but I'm curious about the Whole 30 approved frozen meals!
  12. MissWendy

Black beans bad fad?

On page 46 of "The Whole 30", it says "Not missing tofu, black beans, cottage cheese or pasta" With evidence pointing towards these foods making you less healthy..." I was a bit shocked to see black beans in that list. I read Gundry's book (actually returned it - over his program being so restrictive "had" to take his supplements, and then I got to the part when he talked about curing stage 4 cancer with his program - yeah, no.) Anyway, I'm aware of the lectin thing. But I also read that pressure cooker preparation deals with that. I was also surprised in the reintro section to see soy products re-introduced on the same day as beans and peanut butter. Thoughts? Anybody who's really up on the science?
  13. Oaklandish1

I’m starting whole 30 tomorrow but...

R1D4 morning: Day 3 is down and what a day... I resisted another moment at the mall with a sack lunch of lettuce wraps and mango baby food. Yes, I figured it would be an interesting way to try consuming some fruit (product) on the go since I actually don’t like most fruit. It was highly unsatisfying. 5pm client visit came with a plate of hors d’oeuvres and I was happy that there were some baby carrots, olives, and blueberries to nibble on so that I could give my hunger a little something to hold me until my late dinner. Biggest challenges today: I woke up with the worst crick in my neck, probably of my life. I literally cannot turn my head to the left; I have to turn my whole upper half of my body to look sideways! LOL Unfortunately Advil is no use so it kept me up last night, and now I’m barely functional today. I had to cancel my housekeepers because I’m in too much agony to prep my place. I have to try to get a massage this afternoon at least on the side of my neck! Also, I’m already sick of cooking and doing dishes. Constantly. I feel like I have no time for anything else because I’m cooking for 1 and there’s always so much chopping and peeling and washing etc. I wish hello fresh or someone would just cook everything and put it in my fridge. Unfortunately I can’t use those services because I’m allergic to capsaicin (All spicy food). Needless to say I have to modify Many recipes
  14. SugarcubeOD

W30 sushi compliant or swypo?

@Jihanna did a great job explaining how each individual person may have some grey areas for SWYPO and Food Without Brakes. For something like sushi, you have to ask yourself if eating the compliant version is going to make you crave or obsess about the real thing... If you have an ongoing and deep love affair for sushi and you are in deep mourning for it these 30 days, that recipe may not be the best idea. If it's just another shape of veggies and protein on your plate and you could basically take it or leave it as far as sushi goes, then go for it!
  15. It's been a full, wonderful day for me so far and it's not even 10 yet! We couldn't get the compost pick-up worked out so I started a BIG bucket of compost tea that we'll apply Monday. After all of the incessant rain from November through April, now that we have plants in the ground, no rain. I didn't want to use chlorinated city water because we're trying to encourage good microbes and not slaughter them so I hauled filtered water from the house and applied it with a pitcher. Three trips down the driveway with 2 5-gallon buckets of water in my little red wagon and three trips pulling the empties back up! It was beautiful this morning but I finished up just as the sun was starting to hit the garden and the temp is already 86. Perfect timing and I even had time for a good breakfast before I started. I considered skipping because I was trying to beat the heat but decided that wasn't a good idea. I thought about that meme you mentioned the other day: leftovers + eggs= a delicious meal. That's what I had. I think KB does real food and they cook (very often outside which I think sounds awesome) but, from what little I've seen, I think they include grains and legumes and maybe light on the meat?? I've seen pics with her kids going for early morning walks and everybody has a big mug of oatmeal or something like that. She does mention that it takes her a while every spring to get her feet ready for long treks and I think she swaps out shoes periodically for variety. I've been looking for a good barefoot shoe to wear in the garden; I can't go barefoot because some compost we bought a couple of years ago had a shit-ton of glass in it. The guy has bins at restaurants and diverts their waste into compost but, obviously, there was a flaw in his process. Anyway, KB had suggested water shoes as good barefoot shoes for kids because they're cheap and kids grow out of their shoes so quickly. I picked up a pair this morning and they're perfect for gardening. They keep out the rocks (and glass) and don't make my feet hurt AND they cost $10! Yeah, I think we need something sooner, too. Memorial Day to Labor Day is too long to stay focused without a mid-point. My birthday is at the end of July but I don't know how motivating that would be for you! I'd like to get my husband on board; it would make it easier for me to get out in the real world to hike. I get a little nervous going by myself- too many pervs and ax-murderers in this world. Oddly enough, I'd probably be more comfortable on more remote trails. When I walked the nearby rails to trails around here I had my head on a swivel the whole time and it made feel really paranoid- not exactly what I was going for! It's just accessible enough at different points along it and just unpopulated enough to make me wonder if I was being foolish being out there by myself. Good for you climbing the fences! I used my 80 lb red wagon as a counterbalance to do some squats on my way down the driveway and trying to hold onto it was a great shoulder stretch, too. Time to go rinse the garden off of my body and decide what I'm going to accomplish on this long weekend.
  16. Si-Ya

Isa's whole30 (started 21 may)

I totally feel you. Something about suddenly not being able to eat things makes it so much harder to not eat them. I am on my third attempt and have made it to day 15 and have no cravings. You've got this.
  17. Si-Ya

Si's Whole 30

Yesterday there was spaghetti squash again fried in bacon grease with bacon (it was definitely better with the olive oil and more al dente style) with sauerkraut. For lunch I consumed compliant food that I honestly do not remember and for dinner had a sweet potato that I spiralized into curling fries and slices with an egg. Drinks: Water kefir and water. Today so far I've had a couple slices of cucumber with bacon and a local green covered in olive oil, lemon juice, celery salt and basil. For lunch I will have a half a cucumber with an egg and the rest of the local green (got it at the market and it is native to texas but do not recall the name). My memory is off due to a screaming child in the night throwing off the sleeping cycle a bit. Dinner will be zucchni squash either spiralized or liquified with nutritional yeast and lamb shoulder. I've been having some disrupted bowel movements and I'm not sure why on those since it is day nine now, but I think that can be normal as the body clears. I have not slipped on the diet and do not actually feel sick so I'll think of it as beautiful clearing. Going to take it easy today and just do stretches and walking as a workout. Hope you are all doing well on your journey.
  18. MyW30

Isa's whole30 (started 21 may)

Alright, it might be just a lack of sleep but damn, I'm sooo tired. And why is it such good weather? I want ice cream and a nice glass of wine...
  19. Elizabeth33

Beginning June 1

That is great.
  20. Jihanna

W30 sushi compliant or swypo?

First, thank you for pointing out that recipe. It looks amazing... I'd already been considering some ideas for doing healthier sushi that's grain-free, and this looks much better than what I had in mind (of course, mine won't be that pretty by the time it's on my plate). Yes, it looks compliant to me. Is it SWYPO? It could be, but I'd say that would depend on the person eating it. There are definitely things that are considered SWYPO in general (like using compliant ingredients to make a frozen treat that tastes an awful lot like ice cream), but other stuff is subjective. For my own understanding, I just have to consider my usual tendencies toward the non-compliant versions OR toward that food in general if it's something that has compliant ingredients anyway. This means that homemade coconut yogurt could totally be SWYPO for me, because I absolutely love the taste of it AND I've had to go without dairy yogurt for so long (which I also loved)... so I tend to go a little overboard, unless I'm using it as an ingredient in something else. Olives can be SWYPO for me, because I could totally see myself sitting down with a jar and just eating them mindlessly, so I have to be purposefully mindful about what I'm doing with them, also. Sushi would never be SWYPO for me. Sushi is one of the few ways that I actually eat fish on an occasional basis, because even though I did find a few ways to cook a few types (during my first W30), I still don't enjoy doing it and therefore am less likely to do it at home. The ability to make a homemade sushi roll, though, that could potentially hit it out of the park for me, giving me fish but also putting it into a form that I already know I enjoy. (For the record, I imagine sushi would be SWYPO for my husband, who could be perfectly content to call a plate of 6 or 8 rolls "dinner".) All that to bring it back to the point -- whether or not it's SWYPO will depend on you, and your ability to enjoy it mindfully instead of it being something you'd go overboard with or mindlessly consume. ^ That's my two cents, and how I consider whether a food choice is actually a good choice for me. Note that I'm not a mod, though, so keep your eyes open in case one chimes in and gives you a different line of thought than mine.
  21. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat's Round 2 diary - starting 12 May 2019

Had some leftover roast pork and potato bake, too. Dinner was just not big enough.
  22. SchrodingersCat

Dinner ended up being steak, dukkah roasted kohlrabi, carrot, zucchini, broccolini and radish, seared sweet potato. I'm still hungry!
  23. Hi all, I found this recipe online and it looks delicious! Sushi with cauliflower rice.. like to try it out but is it really w30 compliant, or is it swypo? https://40aprons.com/whole30-sushi-low-carb-paleo/
  24. Yes! After a looong time of struggling with starting and keeping up with my second round of the whole30 I think I finally succeeded (at least, my first 3 days..! 10% already! ). Today I made delicious smoothies with carrots, almond milk, walnuts and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg). Yum! Also made my favorite salad with fresh strawberries. Love it!
  25. It looks like our trip will be the last weekend of August, which is Labor Day weekend - we'll get 4 days!!! I wonder, does Katy Bowman disclose what kind of diet she keeps? Is the MovNat crowd Paleo-oriented like the Cross Fit folk? I used to wring my hands a lot about carbs, etc, for big endurance days like Katy's 20-miler, and our backpacking, which could be 9-12 mi. or so miles depending on the elevation gains. 20 miles! The longest hike we've ever done in a day was 17 miles. It was flat, and we were pretty worn out, especially our feet, at the end! 20 miles sure is impressive. I think for our purposes I'd like to do something sooner...what do you think? This week has been easy 2-3 milers. Straight up the mountain, and straight back down, with a little rolling in between. Heaven! For a little extra strength work, i climb the (livestock) fences instead of using the gates. I've got the sleep aid benefit onboard already, yay! Next week I'll be ready for one day of modest increase, and I don't know if it will be distance or a bit of running. Probably it will be safer for a month or so to increase by distance and wait until after that to add any trail running. I'll probably shoot for Fridays for the increase days. I know our work schedules are different, and you might usually have to wait until the weekend? The buddy system, knowing us, will survive that! I just had another idea, since I'm such a creature of habit, I could/should add a new yoga pose once in a while...and I haven't done any inversions yet. I need to find the right wall...I have filled up the spaces with art and bookcases...have to work on that. Enjoy your day off!! Shovelling sounds like a great work out. Today I was remembering how your rocked your reintros, and did so well staying on program in 2018 after our first December W30. It was a full, wonderful day. Still have some chores to do, so, happy long weekend to you!
  26. doubledee

I need to get a mandoline! That looks delicious, but slicing the potatoes that thinly with a knife would kill me!
  27. AliciaRenee08

Beginning June 1

Hey y’all! This is will be my first Whole 30 and I’m very excited and nervous! I just finished reading the book and I’m now making it public! Good luck everyone!!
  28. Hi all! I started my Whole30 today and I'm jazzed about it so far! I liked the idea of having a log of everything I did, so I can keep track of recipes I've cooked and liked and try to write down how I feel on a day-to-day basis. I'm also going to be making a collage of my food every day (or at least as much of it as I can manage to take a picture of). It's worth noting that this is my first day in 493 days without calorie counting; I truly felt like I ate as much as I wanted, but didn't feel guilty or set back by it, which is a personal win! Also, I am planning to wean myself off of snacking gradually. I know it's discouraged, but I've historically been a six-small-meals-a-day-and-then-some kind of girl, and I think I'm staying true to the program by making sure to use compliant ingredients. Pictured: Iced coffee with flax milk Arugula and jalapeño chicken sausage egg cups; sweet potato rounds Guacamole chicken salad on sweet potato "bread"; arugula salad 1/3 pack of roasted seaweed snacks Radishes; carrots Grilled chicken salad with scallions, carrots, cucumber, mint, and coconut aminos; GT's watermelon kombucha Not pictured: 2 squares of Montezuma Absolute Black chocolate (100% cacao solids) 1/2 mango Exercise: About 90 minutes (~13.5k steps) of walking to and from work and about town Feelings: Today I woke up feeling really bloated, which is unsurprising because I ate all the non-compliant foods I possibly could yesterday; the fact that I had such an adverse reaction to that gives me hope that adhering to the program will do something, though. One thing that I noticed in the afternoon is that, although I don't feel particularly energetic, I feel really well-nourished. Maybe it's a placebo. I got REALLY tired in the late afternoon, which is when I usually have sugary snack attacks. Interesting that I can detect this already. See you all tomorrow!
  1. Load more activity