All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. 50andstillhere

Still hanging in there....

Just wondering what this L. Hop Refreshers is made from? My go to drink is compliant Kombucha. Yesterday I was having a bad day and really wanted chocolate. I have come to realize that i use sweets as a crutch-more than i realized! I had some almond butter instead. Not good to eat it while under stress, but i will have to work on that issue.
  3. w30virgo

w30Virgo Round 3 January 2020

I can't find my grocery receipts so I can't post everything I got, but we spent $198 between Aldi and Whole Foods. $587 for the month so far on groceries. We also went out for meals we paid for ourselves for the first time last week as well - $45 at Smoke on Thursday, and $23 at Chipotle on Friday. Dave went out for dinner with his college roommate on Saturday - he probably spent around $15 there. So we're looking at $83 on going out to eat so far. That's way down from a normal month.
  4. CrystalSanderson

Day 10

So we've only made it a third of the way through, but I have to brag on my husband. He was reluctant to do this with me in the first place, but is now more determined than I am to finish this and keep eating clean after! I've been logging my food intake as part of my weight loss plan for months now, so this wasn't a huge eating change for me (cutting out beans, dairy and grains were the biggest ones). Hubby- not so much. When we actually tracked his normal food intake the week before we started Whole 30 and compared it to what he eats now he was shocked! He has cut more than 3,000 calories, 500 g of sugar, 600 g of carbs, 80 g of fat and 3,000 mg of sodium PER DAY!!! He's already wearing shirts that are one size smaller and had to start wearing a belt! We saved $100 last week just from him packing his lunch/snacks instead of eating out of the vending machines at work and stopping for fast food on his way home! He sleeps even deeper than he did before, is in a better mood and has better focus at work! Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous. lol. All I've noticed so far is a change in my bathroom habits and an aversion to anything that smells sweet. When I was in the grocery store this weekend the bakery had something in the ovens and it made me nauseous.
  5. Today
  6. ShannonM816

Flu and staying compliant

Broth or soup would probably be good. If you have some broth, even a simple egg drop soup would get some protein.
  7. w30virgo

As a fellow beer-lover, I recently tried the Lagunitas Hop Refreshers (zero alcohol, sugar, calories) and really liked them. They're basically like a hoppy seltzer, if you find yourself wanting a more celebratory drink than water as you go on in your Whole30.
  8. CrystalSanderson

peanut butter and jelly is all they want

We're on day 10 as a family. I haven't been strictly enforcing the rules with the kids though. My 9 year old still gets lunchable type meals for school and both kids had regular hot dogs (no buns) with mac and cheese for lunch this weekend. During the prep phase I didn't get rid of their toaster waffles (no syrup), cereal (with almond milk), string cheese, mac & cheese, sweetened apple sauce, etc. just told them I wasn't buying it again after what we had was gone. I did pick up more yogurt for them with this week's groceries, but we switched from the super sugary kids stuff to one with a lot less sugar. When it comes to dinners and snacks though I've put my foot down, especially on any kind of candy, sweets and other junk food. (They were so hooked on sugar that I caught them eating hot cocoa powder with a spoon!! That DID go in the trash... along with any leftover Halloween/Christmas candy, chips, sugary "granola" bars and gummy snacks.) I refuse to make 2 separate meals every evening, so I've called a weekly family meeting to plan meals that everyone will at least try (compliant sloppy joe filling over potatoes and pulled pork got requests for seconds!). My youngest is 4 though, so I just try to find at least one or two meals that mimic ones I know she'll eat. If either of them don't want to eat what's been made, the alternative is always some fruit/veg with chicken or hard boiled eggs (I keep those prepped for grab-n-go situations). Most times they are hungry enough by dinner that they'll at least try a "no thank you" bite or two. So far there's only been one meal my 4 year old flat out refused to eat and my 9 year old has eaten (and enjoyed) everything!
  9. Rickster

Whole 30 bodily side effect

Same thing happened to me, I found this interesting article https://retroflexions.com/the-informed-patient/why-is-my-butt-so-itchy/ Day 21 still suffering a bit... but cut out walnuts and cashews for last 4 days, things are improving a bit ..... if you ever had a itch, nothing like suffering from this
  10. Tami828

Day 1 today!

Hello! My husband and I are starting our Whole 30 Journey today! We already eat fairly healthy and clean but removing dairy will be the biggest challenge as we eat quite a bit of cheese and cream cheese. Thank God for coconut milk, coconut cream and ghee! I'm excited to experiment with all the yummy recipes! I suspect dairy is our biggest culprit in inflammation so I'm curious to see how we start feeling. I had a recent bout of reactive inflammatory arthritis and my husband has type 2 diabetes that is not really controlled very well by meds or "eating right." Thank you all for your support and encouragement! Tami
  11. sylvie3355

Newbie on Day 17...No Tiger Blood Yet

HI Coach Amy, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my last post. It really makes a difference to me to get so much support and encouragement. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track. I have decreased my meal intake and that's helped for sure. I also think I'm fighting a cold/sinus thing (whether truly a virus or more detoxing Sx, not sure) but because I'm an impatient person, not feeling 100% on day 21 gives me reservations -- so thanks for confirming that all is well. I am excited and nervous about going into reintroduction phase. Sometimes I just miss small things like oatmeal but other times I miss sugar so I will have to go slowly and methodically esp when it comes to sugar bec/ I have an addiction to it. Thanks again for your pep talk. It really means a lot! Have a great day! Nancy
  12. w30virgo

Sunday: Again, didn't do too much Sunday. One of my friends came over in the afternoon to hang out, but besides that I just hung around the house, doing chores. I was able to take a walk, and was in higher spirits. Day 18 Meals M1: 1 piece breakfast burrito casserole, slaw, olives M2: 6 Chili Lime Wings (I had planned to make them Friday for dinner), homemade ranch (I use the Basic Ranch recipe from this page: https://whole30.com/mayo-ghee-sauces/), leftover Red Pepper Soup M3: Carnitas with White BBQ and sweet potato salad Monday: We got a lot of cleaning done today, since we were having people over for dinner. I went to an author lecture, Carmen Maria Machado, with two of my friends, and had them over for dinner beforehand. I made the Stuffed Baked Potatoes I talked about last week, with this Roasted Brussels Sprout Salad recipe (https://www.wholesomelicious.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-salad-with-mustard-basil-vinaigrette/) - The potatoes were as good as I remembered, but the salad was really great and easy to make. I'll definitely make it again. The lecture was good, and very interesting - it lasted until around 8:45 - after my bedtime! So I ended up going to bed later than normal, and was a bit tired this morning. I wasn't really groggy though - clearheaded, but tired. I'm drinking my second cup of coffee now, with a little coconut milk mixed in. Day 19 Meals M1: Made a hash out of leftover baked potato, brussels sprouts, & carnitas - topped it with White BBQ and a fried egg M2: Leftovers of the same hash with ranch and Frank's. M3: Stuffed Baked Potato & Brussels Salad Lots of potatoes yesterday - I really didn't feel that different eating that many carbs, but I usually like to have different vegetables during the day. I definitely feel my best eating a large variety of different veggies. Tuesday (today): Woke up a bit late, at around 6:40 AM. I don't feel bad about giving myself some extra sleep. It's my first day back at work, and it's going well. I've already completed some more complex tasks that I had put off last week. I'm feeling good today. Later this evening, I'm planning to go to an organizing meeting for Bernie Sanders, but I'm not totally sure if I'm going to make it. I'll see how I feel a bit later - I'm trying to get my boyfriend to go with me. I have a complex dinner planned, that I really should have made Sunday, which is kind of holding me back. Day 20 Meals M1: About 1 c leftover Brussels salad with some marinated onions, 2 fried eggs, and 2 crisped slices of prosciutto M2: Probably leftover carnitas with sweet potato salad M3: Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki (https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-greek-meatballs-with-tzatziki-sauce-whole30-keto/), Greek Potatoes (http://www.thedefineddish.com/greek-style-potatoes/), & Greek Green Beans (http://www.thedefineddish.com/greek-style-green-beans-fasolakia/) This is getting long, so I'm going to make a separate post with our grocery shopping review.
  13. BabyBear

Like an Onion

Yes!!! That’s one of the greatest NSV and a huge step forward to the mindset of Freedom
  14. PEP

Day Six!

What happened to negative peer pressure??? Are my friends and I too old for that now? Case in point, my hairdresser and I were supposed to go to happy hour after she finished my hair last night and I was MORE than ready to cheat, for her, LOL - well, not happening. She was encouraging of my eating plan and would have no part in being the reason for me cheating! Dang. I am struggling with the 'three meals a day' concept. That is not how I eat, per se. Normally, I like to eat smaller amounts more frequently (always being mindful of the food type/quantity/calories), so still working on achieving the three squares...I am really going to work hard and try to eat only three meals today. I also don't eat before boot camp - coffee yes, food no. I guess I could count that as a meal/snack so I could eat four times a day Fortunately, I did not have to shop to start this eating plan and have been able to eat what I had on hand for the first five days. I went to the grocery yesterday to pick up a few items I don't normally have on hand e.g., compliant coconut milk, coconut flakes, Ghee. I feel like I am eating/adding a lot more fat to my diet than usual, albeit good fat, like EVOO, on my salads and wanted to see if I could find an alternative to use occasionally as well. We have this great, HUGE Pan-Asia grocery near by, so I browsed the aisles, read the labels and picked up some other items that I thought might be yummy AND compliant for condiments/sauce/dressing. I found a green chile chutney and coconut chutney, with very few ingredients and 0 - 3g fat, 0g sugars. I'll let you know how they work out. This store also has a great selection fresh fish and seafood, so I picked up some shrimp for coconut shrimp, which I will definitely make again. Sunday apps and dinner (my plate does NOT have peas on it) - we had coconut shrimp as an appetizer since dinner was running late and beef tenderloin that I adapted the recipe from the Coffee au Poivre Steaks with spiral potatoes. I did not use the coffee, just the pepper. I also discovered that I do not have a spiralizer that works on potatoes (it could be user error), but just in case, I think a trip to BBB with one of my 20% off coupons is in order!
  15. CRM

vegan needs help

Hi Kristy Lynn, I'm in a similar boat (I'm vegetarian and not willing to eat fish or meat). One thing I tried was incorporating different proteins into different rounds: For the first round, I allowed beans but no soy products (specifically garbanzo, black, and kidney beans, which I cooked from dried myself). The second round (i.e. the next year) I allowed soy products (specifically tofu) but no beans. That way I could get the experimental/information benefits of Whole30 without having to compromise my beliefs. Hope this helps!
  16. w30virgo

Day 17, 18, 19, 20 Another great Whole30 morning. Mornings are my favorite part of the day, and they're even better now that I'm not groggy, congested, and headache-y when I wake up. A quick recap of this weekend: Friday night: My boyfriend's college roommate was in town over the weekend, so we decided to get grocery shopping done Friday night. We went to Aldi & Whole Foods. I'll review what we got later today. We ended up getting Chipotle pick-up for dinner - I had the new carne asada, and it was really good! The restaurant didn't give us guac on either of our bowls, though, which was really disappointing. Luckily, we had a ripe avocado at home, so we just shared that. Saturday: I just stayed home all day, cleaning, cooking, and reading. I don't know why, but I was in a bad mood on Saturday, and just didn't feel up to going out. The weather was gross in Pittsburgh - just above freezing with a cold rain. I take a 45 minute walk everyday, and this was the first day in probably 3 months that I didn't take at least some walk. I went out side for about three minutes and just turned around and came back. I did 45 minutes on the elliptical we have in our basement, instead, which was good. Pre-Whole30, I would have just used the weather to sit on the couch all day. I was pretty productive on Saturday, though, and I made carnitas in our Instant Pot, using this recipe (https://www.thewholesmiths.com/easy-instant-pot-whole30-carnitas/) - It was so easy, and they were so good! We have a ton of leftovers from it that will be good for this week and to freeze. Day 17 Meals M1: 2 pieces breakfast burrito casserole & slaw M2: Red Pepper Soup (https://nocrumbsleft.net/2019/09/28/red-pepper-soup/) with 6 meal prep meatballs - This soup was really good. I think I'll make a double batch of it next time. M3: Carnitas (recipe above) with White BBQ Sauce (https://cookprimalgourmet.com/alabama-white-bbq-sauce-whole30) and Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad (https://therealfoodrds.com/warm-chipotle-lime-sweet-potato-salad/) - All of this was delicious I'll update with the rest of my log for the weekend, today, and my review of my grocery shopping tomorrow.
  17. Thank you so much for your help and support. I´ll do my best in making informed choices, but at the top of things my kid got sick and has fevers, so I´m not even sure we´ll be able to attend. I will do my best to keep up with whole30 and keep myself sane, and if it just doesn´t go well, I´ll leave it to February or March whole30.
  18. PEP

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Good for you both; it helps to have a partner! The hubs is eating the food, and whatever else he wants and my friends are even being helpful with not encouraging me to cheat, so on I go...without beer
  19. Aelfric

Ælfric’s W30 №2 (Jan 2020)

Tuesday 21/1/20 (Day 7). M1: Salmon and vegetable omelette. M2: Peaches (tinned). M4: Chicken and vegetable curry. M4: Banana berry smoothie. Drinks: Tea, rooibos, liquorice tea, lime water. Exercise: Scottish Country Dancing.
  20. I have the flu and I feel terrible! I’ve pretty much been in bed since Sunday. I have stayed compliant food wise but really don’t have an appetite. I feel nauseous a lot. I’m trying to eat 3 times just smaller meals. Any suggestions to get me through with lighter meals that I don’t have to spend anytime cooking?
  21. littleyellowdiary

Started Whole30 for the first time Jan 20!

@Kwillertz Well done for recognising that you wanted a reset to start to feel better. Wishing you all the best for your W30!
  22. littleyellowdiary

Starting Jan. 20 with Anxiety/Depression

Hi @Maria45, I have had issues with depression/anxiety in the past and lots of disordered eating. To be honest I think just making the commitment to a plan like this and dedicating some time to yourself and your health is already a huge step forward in improving your mood and mental health. Our lives are so busy and hectic nowadays that self care is always at the bottom of the list, so this is a good way to take care of yourself and your needs. I know my disordered eating is a symptom of emotional distress so it all ties together. I have found that cutting out sugar and junk food completely seems to have broken a nasty cycle of cravings and overeating so I reckon there's something in that. I've also been doing the 10 Minute Mind for a few months and really recommend a meditation programme like that, or Headspace. Again, it's just taking time out for yourself and saying "I deserve to take care of myself and do this thing". It's a step towards being kinder to yourself instead of going down a spiral of negative self-talk.
  23. btvs1981

BTVS Whole 30 log

Thanks @BabyBear for your support! I appreciate it. I'm still in roughly the same spot though but it doesn't feel bad. I'm just not experiencing a heap of hunger. I have an appointment with my GP this week anyways so I'm going to check in on the food situation and get their advice. I don't want to end up without enough nutrition going in. Part of the aim here was actually to get my metabolism going again. I'll check in with what she says and go from there. In the meantime... Day 18 Chicken soup Leftover bolognese sauce (wasn't hungry here at all but ate something, was very hungry 4 hours later at 5 in the evening so I just made the next meal dinner) Salmon salad with avocado Day 19 Chicken thigh grilled with cinnamon and 5 spice, large slaw salad with avocado and grilled nectarines Coffee with coconut milk Zuppa Toscana with added broccoli and cauli rice Day 20 Coffee with coconut milk Zuppa Toscana with added broccoli and cauli rice Egg scramble with mushroom, spinach, tomato, onion, capsicum and homemade pesto with crispy bacon thrown in
  24. Brewer5

Like an Onion

Thanks, @BabyBear ~ I had a new Day 1 today ... let's see how far I can go this time. One day of derailment really doesn't have to turn into weeks or months. I like that I was able to correct the course today pretty effortlessly. I've had enough small wins over the past few weeks ... it's motivated me to keep going forward, because I sure as hell don't want to go back.
  25. SchrodingersCat

Opti-Greens and Reds

Looks like they both contain maltodextrin, so nope.
  26. ShannonM816

Opti-Greens and Reds

You'd need to check the ingredients to see if they're all okay to have on whole30.
  27. BabyBear

Very hungry mommy 1st Time whole 30 Jan 2020

Day 20 how is this even possible! 2/3 of the way, the home stretch. 7:30 am phone call from my mom woke me up. She’s hurt her back, so I guess it’s up and at em so I can get the kids and take her to see her chiropractor. So much for sleeping until 10:00. I’m awake and waiting for her to tell me appointment time so I took the opportunity to rub essential oils on the hubby and try to work out some nots from the drive. 8:30 S1: RXBar, beef stick Ugh to go from 80 and sunshine to 20 and snowing is a bit harsh. So much for having time for breakfast. I did grab my last beef stick, RXBar and some pistachios. All the other food is gone. Headed to the big city to take my mom to the doctor. Maybe I’ll take advantage of this and stop by sprouts and pick up some compliant bacon and sausage for this week. I can’t believe this is day 20. I’ve started reading food freedom book. Reading the intro I felt that anxiety build up in my chest of all the what if’s… normally I would shut down and walk away from all the overwhelming thoughts and feelings until I was ready to process those things, but this time I allowed myself to ask what if.., and almost always answered the question with .., “then I restart” the more I said it the further into the what if’s I went the more the tightness in my chest relaxed until it was gone. I was then able to continue reading and answering any more what if’s with “then I restart.” 1:30 S2:Banana and pistachios I bought the boys lunch to eat on the road. I stopped at sprouts. They were out of compliant sausage but I did get some bacon and some compliant deli meat. Oh and some bananas because the baby said “A-Nana Pweeeaa”. How could I not buy him a banana. I decided to eat one of his bananas instead of another RX bar. My truck is not running right and has me a little stressed out. Going to pick up the dog and then run the truck over to a guy my husband trust to check it out. Well the truck has to go in the shop and I am finally getting home at 4:30 after leaving out at 8:30. I drove over 4 hours today, and I have 6 hours worth of work to do before I can rest. Today definitely did not go as planned. M1 5:00 sweet sour chicken with steamed broccoli with clarified butter. I was so very happy when I opened the fridge to get milk for the baby and saw my sweet and sour chicken left overs waiting there for me! I steamed a bag of broccoli and heated up half the leftovers. I put the other half in a dish with half of the broccoli for lunch Wednesday. I enjoyed every bite. I was so hungry!
  1. Load more activity