All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Yesterday
  4. ShannonM816

New to Whole30 and On Day 5

There are herbal teas with no caffeine, maybe some of those, either hot or iced? Just double check your ingredients, some teas have stevia, soy, or even gluten-containing grains like barley or rye. There are some whole30 mocktails that might be nice occasionally as well: https://whole30.com/mocktails/
  5. I've read that about cruciferous vegetables as well but have never followed up on it. A quick look brought up this: https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/food-beverages/cruciferous-vegetables#iodine-thyroid-function which has a nice explanation and I also saw an Mayo article that said it would take very high consumption for it to be a problem but they didn't define "high consumption". I should have questioned her more but I found it curious that my eye doctor asked me if I ate a lot of kale. I told her that I eat green leafy vegetables and cruciferous vegetables at least once a day and almost always more than that. She said she could tell by the health of my eyes; they were very clear. I hate to generalize, but as a laboratory professional, many physicians are sorely lacking the knowledge to order and interpret labs. They aren't taught it in medical school and have to just pick it up along the way- hardly a good approach. Thyroid function testing is one of those areas that if often not done properly. It's probably more information than you want, but take a look at "Stop The Thyroid Madness" if you want more information about it. There are other tests that should be ordered along with a TSH for it to truly be a useful diagnostic tool. Your "weekend" is where you find it! I rotated through working weekends (usually every other, or every 3rd) for most of my career and, even though I missed out on some events, it was usually nice to have the time off during the week to get things done because you avoid the crowds. You're breakfast sounds lovely. I get the motormouth thing. For me, it's filling a void and trying to do "something" to help. When my dad was dying I channeled it into cooking for everybody and cleaning the kitchen. There wasn't anything I could do for him at that stage so I filled the void by doing for the people I love that were there. Aside from my dad, and his disease progressed so quickly (and from afar), I also have had no experience with terminal illnesses in people that are close to me. It can be hard enough to face the consequences of it at work and I don't even know the patients who have so generously consented to allow me to preserve their cells for research "for the good of mankind".
  6. Hello one and all! My name is Lori and I live in North Carolina. Today is day 5 of my husband and I doing Whole30. We WERE doing Paleo and doing a great job until *insert dramatic music* the holidays hit. We were doing Paleo for weight loss but are doing Whole30 for health. If weight loss comes with it...score! I have read It Starts with Food and LOVED it! There are many dog eared pages, hand written notes & highlighted lines! It's wonderfully written! I'm also using Whole30 Day by Day. I'm a very visual person so that book is great for me. For recipes I'm using a cookbook called Cook Once Eat All Week by Cassy Joy Garcia (but the recipes don't last a week LOL). The menus are inexpensive, adaptable for whatever diet you're on and easy to follow. I was using this cookbook when we were doing Paleo. We have yet to have a recipe that we don't all love. Neither of us have had a slip up (no big deal, just day 5 HA) but I am SUPER tired of water, coffee & tea. We're sticking to no caffeine after 12:00pm which is leaving us with water for the remainder of the day (I REALLY miss having my glass of skim milk with my dinner *sniffle*). I don't like sparkling water so that takes out a huge alternative choices. I do drink fruit infused water but...I'm just tired of water. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  7. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Wednesday, Dec 4, Day 12: Sleep: 7h 17m + 1h 29m awake=8h 39m in bed actually slept well but my husband tossed and turned and kept me from falling asleep for an hour or so. 20 minutes stretching/mobility M1 same as Monday with fermented radishes M2: same as Tuesday Went to a friend's graduation and didn't have any of the gorgeous Russian cake his wife brought. Or the liquor-filled dark chocolates or the Champagne! The whole room smelled like sugar! I wonder if anyone noticed besides me? cashews- wasn't hungry just snacky M3: pork chop with Bavarian seasoning and sugar snaps sauteed in oo. Had CBD/chamomile/lemongrass tea after dinner same as Tuesday (forgot to doc) -added some hibiscus flowers this time but forgot to add a second serving of collagen. I haven't documented it but I have two cups of black coffee every morning (usually 3 on the weekend) and add collagen to one cup. Also have about 4 oz kombucha every day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes less. Also try to remember to do a gut shot every day but that's hit or miss! Steps: 8,767 better...
  8. On the subject of sleep, i've been thinking that it's hard enough to share the bed with my husband and both of us sleep well, let alone add a couple of kittens to the mix...we delighted in their company last night for a while, then surrendered, and had to lock them out. We were both sad to do it, but we will try to find time for snuggles with them and are not willing to let it bug our sleep! Wah. Meanwhile, I sympathize with you when you say, We're pretty good about going to our separate beds when it's really bad, and since we upgraded to a King size bed it is better, and we have more nights together. FOr my part, since I realized that eggs are the issue and not coffee, I've been back "on" with it, and enjoying it, but I have to be careful to stop before noon in order to avoid compensating later with a sleep aid...I just know better...and yet, if coffee is my only vice, I tend to indulge... Hey, congrats on that weight loss! Yay! You are on a path of discovery with that congestion...I know you'll keep me posted on what you learn! Today is your lucky day - LUCKY 13! I keep meaning to peek in on your log to learn more and will do that soon... Tomorrow I'm hosting a breakfast meeting with a good friend, and I'm making turkey apple sausage patties, Nom Nom's warm brussels sprout slaw with citrus Asian dressing which I love but haven't made in a long time, and maybe sweet potato mash if I have time, and for my friend, some toasted olive bread, which I turned her onto, and that she loves...I will abstain from the bread. I guess I'm jonesing to make a late, Thanksgiving-ish meal, since I didn't do any of that this year! I also picked up some simple biscotti, and some organic raspberries and dark chocolate for a treat, and look forward to having her over. She just lost a best friend to cancer, and unfortunately this friend also just got a cancer diagnosis: breast cancer on both sides. I am challenged, and humbled because my experience with this kind of illness is 99% with strangers with whom I can pretty easily go to a universal place, and hold space for them, and be present, unwavered. It is SO MUCH harder with a loved one, and I am feeling all of my attachments and worries and fear, grief, etc...so I am psyching myself to just be present, and keep my mouth shut and let her do the talking because the first time I saw her since I got her news (this will be the second time) I noticed I turned into motormouth...it was weird, I observed it, and it was like I couldn't control it. So tomorrow I will SHUT UP. We'll see how that goes. Just love her so. I had a great morning, doing the things that most people do on the weekends, stripping the bed, laundry, housework, cooking, and of course playing with the cats. And drinking lots of coffee. The chili is delicious with sweet potatoes, black beans, and for fun some garbanzos which looks weird but tastes good. I love the bright flavor and color of the kashmiri chili powder and I got it just right for my mild palate'd husband - it's not TOO hot. That makes him cranky when it's too hot. The patties will be a triple batch, so that should hold me for awhile...we also have shrimp patties on the horizon soon, and some pollock burgers. Oh, my follow up was to go over labs as my LDL cholesterol is high for the first time, but also pretty much cancelled out by good cholesterol. My thyroid is also a little high, and so we will do labs again in three months to see if it is steadily going higher. I read that raw cruciferous vegetables can spike TSH, do you know anything about that? While we're at it, we will also be looking for food allergies. The high TSH had me a little worried, but I don't have any symptoms except that it's hard to lose weight, even when I'm really, really trying...of course my efforts there just began in earnest two or three weeks ago so I'll just monitor. I do feel really motivated right now, training for our big hike, and also to see if I can get my LDL down, even though it's not concerning. Having labs on the horizon in three months is also something to shoot for, in the shorter term than the August hike...and that will bring me to about the Vernal Equinox or a little sooner, so I'm going to make that work for me. So far so good! I'm feeling less puffy, and less inflamed, but it's too soon for clothes to fit better - I hope to be there soon.
  9. TriciaLeigh

Whole 30 Journal - Weeks 1 and 2

I was hoping to find some others that were starting during the holiday. I’ve reached out to a coach and she urged me to really think about if I wanted to start this time of year. My gut is telling me YES do it! But my logical brain is saying maybe you should just wait. But you know I think I’m just going to go for it! CoffeeLover and LittleG did you already start?
  10. Last week
  11. SugarcubeOD

potatoes

Yes but not commercially available french fries or potato chips. Potatoes have been allowed for years - have another quick read through the rules
  12. Queen Jeanne

potatoes

Can I eat potatoes?
  13. All of your walking/hiking SF sounds amazing! It's so great that you got to revisit favorite places. Like NY, even thinking about going to SF is overwhelming to me. There's so much to see and do, where do you even start? Like the fettucini alfredo I made a couple of months ago, it was delicious and worth it and not-to-be-repeated anytime soon! But sooo delicious! Dr. visit was good. I DID look at the scale but it was in kilos so I was safe right up until the nurse did the math and blurted it out! I've lost 5 lbs so that was good to know even though I was guessing it was about that just from how I felt. My blood pressure has been borderline for ages; it went down some then they lowered the threshold and I'm borderline again (at home I'm under the cut-off but in the office I'm just above). She was good with continuing lifestyle mods and suggested I see either an allergist or ENT about my nighttime congestion. I opted for allergist first so that ball is rolling now. Sleep quality is my biggest issue so I hope we can make some kind of progress. I was so tired last night and wonderfully, snuggly sleepy when I went to bed until my husband came home, came straight to bed and couldn't sleep. When he can't sleep, nobody sleeps I think I would have had a really good night sleep if he hadn't kept me awake for over an hour. Next week is going to be a bit of a challenge. My husband's birthday is Tuesday and we're going to see a tribute show for Tony Joe White that should be amazing judging from the musicians that are participating but the venue has terrible food even if I'm not W30-ing. There's BBQ place nearby that we like so I asked them about sugar, soy, etc and found out their brisket is compliant but, other than that, plain baked potato is the only other thing I can eat and that doesn't excite me a whole lot. The next night we're going to the Country Music Hall of Fame to see the First Ladies of Bluegrass (musicians that we're really familiar with that were the first women to win artist of the year for their particular instruments- banjo, bass, guitar, fiddle, mandolin). At least that show has reserved seating so we don't have to be there when the doors open to get good seats like we do at the other venue. I need to make a plan and I'm drawing a blank but, hopefully, I'll come up with something that is celebratory but I can also make compliant. I did some good stretching and strength this morning but I'm really struggling to move more during the day. It's a work in progress!
  14. laura_juggles

Vegan

Those ingredients look more like a science experiment than a food.
  15. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Tuesday. Dec 3, Day 11: Sleep: 6h 52m + 1h 45m awake= 8h 37m in bed M1: same as Monday M2: sous vide turkey dark meat with jus + fat, turnips and broccoli sauteed in duck fat 1/2 cup turkey bone broth M3: pan-fried turkey "oysters" and slaw made w fermented hot pepper "vinegar" & homemade mayo, pinch of dried coconut to finish Steps: 6,767 Need to step up my step game!
  16. The middle of the night WTFW has a sort of narcotic effect on me, and because it interrupts sleep, it is a dangerous narcotic LOL. Thanks for giving it a name - oh, you are like your dad, with good naming! I'll be interested to learn if the blue filter in the new glasses has a noticeable impact. If you're pulling out all the stops of, say, the known dos and don'ts of good sleep, what is on your radar, if anything, that you can do differently? Oh, so Squeaky's steps are working? I remember when you vetoed the unacceptable old foot stool from the garage and ordered the new one. So sweet that he is using it and also waits for you on the nightstand. Gush. Fiver just sprung off my lap like a mountain lion off a boulder...just a few short weeks ago they would have been too small for any such athletic feats. We think they have doubled in size from 8 weeks to (almost) 12. Your Turkey Times sound so good! I hope to create some abundance around here very soon with some intermittent mini-cook-ups. I thought I would come home early today to make chili, but it was a busy one at work, and I couldn't tear myself away, so tomorrow it will have to be. I too had a follow-up doctor visit today, and I will share, but you first. I did a TON of hiking on my trip - on hiking trails north of SF, and also city hiking on my own - enough that my calves were sore and my knees a little tight from all the stair climbing. One of the charming features of SF for a walking person, is that there are hidden staircases to get over really steep neighborhoods, and I trekked one of my favorite ones. On my free day just for myself, I did everything I set out to do. I walked a ton, on an empty stomach, and got a Chinese massage (just okay but still I'm glad I did it), walked a bunch more, had a good meal (don't ask, a real pleasure meal...ok but don't tell anyone, fettucini carbonara and a big ass salad that held me ALL DAY LOL...) walked more, raining all the way, and caught Jo Jo Rabbit (loved it!!!) (NO treats, no nothing) and then walked some more, and made a pilgrimage to my favorite cafe in the Italian neighborhood that is BEAT holy land where Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsburg, Gary Snyder and the like all met up. All my heroes. I had a cappuccino and wrote in my journal, and chatted a little bit with the students next to me. Then I finished with a little shopping spree in Chinatown, and walked home, nicely tired. So hiking-wise, I finished week 2 of my training in good form....and now tomorrow is Wednesday and I am due to GET BACK on the stick!!!! It may or may not be raining...but I can feel myself needing to get back to it, so you are my witness...this week will not be lost.
  17. Puzzler

Puzzler’s log

Ha! Typed up yesterday's entry, but never submitted. Day 23. Tuesday, December 3. Felt upbeat today. Woke up a little earlier than normal, that was great, too. No restless legs M1: salmon, butternut, cabbage, walnuts M2: Paleo Zuppa Toscana M3: 4 hour salad
  18. Puzzler

Puzzler’s log

Day 22. Monday, December 2. First day back at work after 2 weeks PTO/holiday. Didn’t really get a chance to eat, but wasn‘t that hungry, either. Nice change from the first week when I was starving all the time! They moved our holiday party to this week, dang it. One of the considerations when I started Whole30 was that it would be over before the holiday party. That’s a bummer, but I guess it works out for my diet. If I had known about the date change before Thanksgiving, I might have thrown in the towel. But since I’ve come thus far, I might as well go all the way. Legs weren’t bothering me until 5 minutes ago. It looks like they are demanding some minimal level of effort in exercising. Fair enough. M1: salmon, butternut, cabbage. I keep forgetting to add the walnuts in here. M2: 4 hour salad
  19. ShannonM816

Vegan

Corn starch, navy bean flour, and sugar are definitely not allowed. Are you vegan? If not, ghee is probably the most butter-like Whole30 compliant option. If you are, there might be some other brands that work, you'll just need to read labels to find them, or you might have to skip the butter substitutes and use compliant oils like coconut or olive oil instead.
  20. JeffB74

Vegan

Organic Coconutmilk (Filtered Water, Organic Coconut Cream), Palm Oil, Modified Starches (Potato, Corn), Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Navy Bean Flour, Yeast Extract, Cultured Sugar (To Retain Freshness), Cultures, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Konjac Gum, Lactic Acid, Annatto Extract (Color), Cellulose (To Prevent Caking).
  21. laura_juggles

Vegan

What are the ingredients?
  22. ultrarunnergirl

Round 2 vs Round 1

I've experienced the good energy much earlier after several Whole30s (and most importantly, sticking close to it in between rounds). Good for you and hope it continues.
  23. JeffB74

Vegan

Can I have Vegan Cheese and Vegan Butter?
  24. Today is Day 11 so I'm over 1/3 of the way there and definitely feeling slimmer. My sleep hasn't been very good, though, and that's disappointing. My new glasses will have a blue light filter in them so I'm hoping that might help but I won't have them for at least another week. I had whisker tickling and face washing in the middle of the night, too. It doesn't help my sleep but I like knowing he's inside and safe. Did I mention that we got a set of steps for him to be able to get his arthritic rear end in bed? He was really struggling and clawing his way up. It took a couple of tries to find an acceptable set of steps but he uses them all the time now. He sits on my night table and waits for me to get in bed most nights. Crazy cat! That's great that they're bonding with you both. Maybelle never did totally settle down after her traumatic start in life and was always on high alert. It got better over the years but we were always sad that she never got out of panic mode; a heavy footstep was all it took to send her flying up the stairs to her safe place in the attic. So glad your girls are adjusting so well! I've been having thoughts of chili, too! I like to use chuck roast for my chili and I'm not sure I have a big enough piece to make it a worthwhile endeavor so I need to inventory. I have turkey everywhere right now! Since I didn't need it for Thanksgiving Day, I waited until Sunday to deal with it. I roasted one breast and both thighs, froze one breast and experimented with sous vide on the legs and wings. The experiment was a raging success and now I have a bunch of deliciously juicy dark meat all for me! I roasted the carcass and put it plus all of the drippings from the roasting pan on a long simmer to make stock. My husband worked from home yesterday so it cooked all day and is so delicious I couldn't resist having a cupful when I got home. Squeaky gets his share, too. I pulled some of the little bits of meat out of the pot and minced it up with the gizzard, heart and skin so I'll be able to give him some of that for a few days. No waste here! I've been a bit tired and not moving as much as I would like so I need to work on that. Still. Follow-up doctor appointment today - am I going to look at the scale? Probably
  25. hollysmokes

hollysmokes log

Monday, Dec 2, Day 10 Sleep: 6h 36m + 1h 39m awake= 8h 15m in bed M1: 2 eggs scrambled with ground pork, shredded brussels sprouts and broccoli (this will be my breakfast all week), fermented curried cauli M2: the rest of the turkey thigh, cran-cherry sauce, cauli/mushroom "pilaf" M3: sous vide turkey dark meat, sauteed turnips Steps: 6,468
  26. Today I pay my penance for all the fun adventuring - I have been so. tired. all day! It was worth it, though...this will be a quick one to say hi, and congrats at DAY 12 is it? Woo hoo!! Yay for treating yourself to the Correctoes and also, perhaps (go for it!!!) the balayage. I've been thinking about getting balayage, too, one of these days, so you'll have to give me a full report. That sounds fun, and you deserve it! Are you still feeling great? I'll bet you are, and moreso. I got home last night around 8pm, and it was so good to see my husband and the kitties. It's subtle but I could tell the girls had grown in the 4 days. THEN, in the middle of the night I had both of them up in my neck, face, jaw and head, and like Squeaky with you, I got my face washed. And my earlobes. Then I got my little hoop earrings pulled at, and it all just tickled me in every way. I knew it was costing me dearly with sleep, but it was so fun and irresistible I indulged it for a while until Hubs protested, and that broke up the party. They are little terrors, I'll say, but now I can't imagine our lives without them. I can see they have bonded with both of us and it makes me really happy. Their personalities are so different, too, it is wonderful to get to know them and watch them grow. How is Squeaky? I am back on program today, adlibbing, but compliant. Hubs is teasing me that I am made of coleslaw and I have no defense. Bison is thawing for chili tomorrow, and I think I'll make a batch of my "security blanket" chicken apple sliders, and I have lots of broccoli on hand...I'll shop on Wednesday, and who knows what else I'll come up with. More soon!!
  27. Puzzler

Moringa Hot Chocolate

@whole30_not_rocket _science have you tried this and is it good? It sounds good! Let me know- I may want to try this when my Whole30 is done.
  28. LindaLee

Pre-Workout Meal- Confused!

I actually have been combining Crossfit and running (Galloway) for a couple of years with great success for a couple of marathons, though this is the first time I've introduced a lower heart rate into the mix. I'm not an elite runner by any means; my goal always is just to cross the finish line with a smile and no injuries. I've been following the PowerSpeedEndurance training plans since my first marathon, and have cut 40 minutes total off my (admittedly slow) time. So my goals right now are threefold: 1. Get my hormones back in balance and my sugar consumption under control. I suspect I'll lean out some when I accomplish that. I also pray that this will get my blood pressure under control too, so I can go off the meds. 2. Run one last marathon next fall and PR, even if just by a minute or two. 3. Continue to work on building/maintaining my overall strength. Like I said, I'm not looking for some major weight crushing goals - but doing strength work has benefited me in more ways than I can count. I don't have any desire to lift tons of weight, but strength training has been a critical part of my half and marathon training and PSE does a great job with programming strength work and Metcons that are runner specific. As for getting my heart rate up...it really depends on the WOD. Some movements get it way up there...others don't. Since high intensity interval work is not my goal right now, I can get the functional movements in and work out with my buds without jacking my heart rate into my anaerobic zone...I just go slower or reduce or modify the reps, and I rest/stop if my heart rate goes too high. Thus far it's actually been much harder to keep my heart rate down while running! Though I know from experience that after I've been training for a while, I'll be able to go further and faster within the same heart rate parameters. And all of this is kind of sideways to the thoughts about the food. I'm experimenting this week with not eating pre or post-WOD, but the training picks up next week and we'll see if that still applies. Certainly once I hit 5+ miles, I'm gonna need something. Thank you so much for the advice!
  29. I haven't had peanuts or soy in forever! I did quit my usual supplements and am just taking the ones my functional medicine doctor recommended! I think they're all pretty much soy free. Today (day 8) hasn't been too bad. I do think my pants are about the same, but this round isn't about weight loss for me...I figure that'll come when I get my hormones and everything back in balance, and get that sugar under control. It's much more about getting some energy back. What day are you on?
  1. Load more activity