lhenkin got a reaction from Jinkse21 in How Many Whole30's Have You Completed?
HI! I am finishing my third Whole30. For some reason (probably a complicated set of reasons), I felt best during my second round. Still, I think each time it becomes more about a new lifestyle...so that coming to the end of the 30 days doesn't mean all that much!
lhenkin reacted to Kirsteen in Did I end too soon?!
I think we also have to remember that we're all different and will experience things differently. I find comparisons with other people one of the most unhelpful things out. I came to W30 with an absolute shedload of ongoing health problems and, you may not want to hear this but, I have never experienced 'tiger blood' or boundless energy In fact, having M.E. my energy can be extremely limited.
What I do know is that W30 is the healthiest way I can possibly eat and I have seen improvements, they might seem minor to other people but are pretty major to me. If I was to compare myself with other people, I could get very discouraged and demotivated; it's comparing how I am now, with how I was pre W30 that keeps me motivated and keeps me going.
So celebrate your successes, your results and good luck with your ongoing improvements.
lhenkin reacted to CarmenS in Does anyone have a good balsamic vinaigrette recipe?
Mine is pretty much the same as Carie's, only I make it in smaller quantities and don't go to the trouble to use a Magic Bullet. But like her, I've started "eyeballing" the measurements because it doesn't seem like you can really get it wrong.
3 Tablespoons of a really good olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I really like white balsamic when I can find it)
a teaspoon of mustard
I put it in a small glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake it up.
This is the only salad dressing we ever eat. We never get tired of it. In fact, I have started marinating our pork chops in it. It's that good.
lhenkin reacted to Fenderbender in Seasoning cast iron
Trick!!! While the fat is getting hot... Pour a Tbsp of fine salt into the pan and wad up some paper towels and rub it in a circular motion
"Whereupon I proceeded to take that mittenful of the deadly yellow snow
crystals and rub it all into his beady little eyes with a vigorous
circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mudshark in your mythology
here it goes,the circular motion, now Rub It!"
Sorry.... Any excuse to quote Zappa!!!
The salt acts as a very fine abrasive and gets the pan silky smooth..... Don't be afraid to apply pressure....dump out the salt and wipe several times with clean paper towel and then add mor fat to season....
lhenkin reacted to msmirnio in Done-zo!
If you're here because you're coming up on the end of your Whole30, want to see if you've had a similar experience as me, or are just peaking to see what you can look forward to in your upcoming Whole30 - please comment and share stories below!
I wanted to wait to write this until I check my weight tomorrow morning (Day 31) but then realized that I actually don't care! It's obvious that I look better and that I'm taking care of myself. Most importantly - I have put only good things into my body for 30 days! *If I can eat like this for 30 days, I know I can lose the weight I want - this month has shown me something I've never experienced with eating EVER - self control and a conscious appreciation for, and protection of, my body*
- I didn't purposely eat non-compliant foods. I think I ate out 4-5 times and really tried to stick with compliant decisions, though obviously you can't guarantee outside food are prepared compliantly
- I learned a lot of new recipes and feel really great about cooking SO much of my own food!
- My clothes fit better (just a touch!), my face looks amazing, my hair is super shiny and while I don't feel the "magic" all the time I find myself getting happier easier, if that makes sense
- Hidden ingredients!! You Devils, you! Soy lecithin in my tea! "Contains less than 2%...." in pretty much all meat! Random stuff in my spices! I'm sure I ate some non-compliant smoked salmon. Dang.
- Did NOT stick to the 3 meals a day for sure - and not because of PWO meals
- Larabars; I kept them in my purse and depended on them quite a bit. I don't really have a sugar dragon but you wouldn't think that by how much I wanted these around!
*I plan on doing my second Whole30 in January, cliche, ya!*
- Stick to 3 meals a day unless my workouts get more intense to warrant a mini post-meal
- No sneaky ingredients!!
- No Larabars, enough. I need to create snack packs that are not date-related candy bars
- Not really something to watch out for but...this Whole30 I held off on the exercise part until the end (i love working out and am usually consistent <- oxymoron?) so next time around my moving-grooving will be full swing so I'm excited to see THOSE results!
lhenkin reacted to Nancy H. in My First Try at Reintoduction
Hi.....I don't really have a "written down" recipe for it. I just make it to taste.
Here is my recipe for 1000 isle dressing.:
1000 ISLE DRESSING
1/4 cup Home Made Mayo (compliant)
1 Tbsp. Dill relish (no sugar added) (compliant)
1 Tbsp Home Made Ketchup (compliant)
Mix it all together and put in the fridge for a day before using so flavors can blend.
If it gets too think add some Coconut milk to thin it down.
If it is too thin, just add more Mayo.
You can add salt if you think it needs it. I don't.
If you are going to use it a lot you might want to double the recipe.
Here is the recipe for the compliant Ketchup:
1 can (6 oz.) Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch cloves
1 pinch allspice
Mix all together well and let sit in fridge for several hours to allow the flavors to blend.
I usually double the Ketchup recipe as I use it on my grass fed burger and in pulled pork.
Hope you like it.