Homemade mayo

ChildoftheKing7777

Ain't no thang. If it'll make you feel better, I'll post a YouTube video of me eating a raw egg or 3...

Yes. It would be a fat (mostly olive oil) and I wouldn't be super scientific about it. Make a tuna salad with a reasonable amount of it and you'll be fine. If it's 3 parts mayo to 1 part tuna, you might have a problem. :-)

• Moderators

It did not occur to me to worry about the egg being raw in my mayo recipe until after I had eaten one or two batches of it. I then worried for a few days until I decided I had better things to worry about. I might have rationalized that I got my eggs from a farm with healthy, happy chickens just a few miles from my house or that the apple cider vinegar I add kills any bacteria the raw egg might contain. People have been making mayonnaise with raw eggs for centuries and not becoming sick from it. I've been making mayonnaise with raw eggs for about 3 years now and cannot imagine ever buying mayonnaise in a store again.

For what it's worth, I got really sick during my first W30. I had to get the doctor out who diagnosed a delightful case of enteritis. I asked him if he thought the raw eggs I'd started eating in home made mayo could be responsible. He said he wouldn't blame them and saw no problems with eating them that way - and that's your standard British GP, he's not the least bit paleo or alternative in any way. so I carried on making and eating mayo and I've had no problems with it at all.

Rock mom, it could be a bunch of things:

Were your ingredients all the same temperature?

Did you drizzle your oil REALLY slowly?

Did you mix up your yolk and acid (or mustard) first before adding oil?

If the answer's yes to all of those, then it's the last (and most common) reason: bad juju.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Now for the courage to try it. Does it taste anything like the store bought mayo i'm familiar with? Or is it more like Miracle Whip? If it's not more like MW, how could it be made to be more like MW? I prefer MW over mayo...

I really love tuna salad.... with MW....

I hear you about the raw eggs! I was afraid too, but did try it and it was delicious! I can't wait to try again.

I was convinced that it would be ok after hearing people's arguments that the bacteria can't live in the acidic environment formed by the lemon juice and/or vinegar. Also, the quality of eggs you get matters. I've heard you're way less likely to get sick from eggs fresh off the farm (where they're raised humanely- like Tom uses.)

As for MW- I think the mayo I made tasted somewhere in between MW and other mayo. My husband hates MW but liked the homemade stuff. However, I personally thought it tased kind of like MW. I'm sure there are alternations you could do to make it more MW-like.

Do try it, and enjoy!!!

Thanks for the input, everyone. Now for the courage to try it. Does it taste anything like the store bought mayo i'm familiar with? Or is it more like Miracle Whip? If it's not more like MW, how could it be made to be more like MW? I prefer MW over mayo...

Ewww on MW. It tastes nothing like MW or any other mayo.. it's leagues better! MW is full of sugar, so I am not sure how you mimic the taste.

Also, depends on what recipe you're using- but to get the flavors you want, you can vary ingredients or add more... so for instance, I know some people use only lemon juice, while others use a mix of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, while others just use apple cider vinegar. You can also play around with mustard (as long as it's complient) and add different flavor powders. I add curry powder to mine and love it- great for raw veggies...

MW probably has added sugar. I know there are recipes for it on line. You can see what the difference is pretty easily by googling it, and if you can make it Whole30, go for it!

My thoughts on the egg...as I make mayo, it gets pretty warm by the end. Close to (if not at) the temperature they say to use for pasteurizing eggs (NomNomPaleo has instructions on that). So I don't worry about it too much.

Archived