Time between post WO and next meal?

• Moderators

For me the time is often about one hour. Typically, I would eat at the gym as soon as I caught my breath, hang out for a short-time, then drive home and prepare lunch. Between driving home and time spent cooking when I arrived, I would often be eating my next meal an hour after my post-workout meal. I could eat a can of tuna packed in water at the gym and be ready to eat a whole meal that quickly afterwards. I figured that I was giving lean protein without any fat an hour head start and that would be enough to take care of my hungry muscles. I don't think adding fat an hour later would stop the post-workout meal from accomplishing its mission.

I'm glad to have stumbled upon this topic (this is my day 1). I don't recall the book specifying that the post workout meal needed to be low to no fat. If this is really essential, could someone share a few details with me?

I guess that when I leave work I'll be stopping at the store for some tuna packs!

If you check out the meal template on the whole9 website, it says that pre-WO meals should be protein & fat, post-WO should be protein & starchy carbs with little to no fat. I remember reading it in the book as well... Pages 242-243 talks about pre & post WO eating. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Fat slows digestion and the point of a post-workout meal is to feed hungry muscles fast when they are especially ready. Classic post-workout protein includes baked or roasted chicken breast or scrambled egg whites (not the yolks because the yolks hold the fat). Some people make an egg white/sweet potato mash/hash. I hate separating eggs, so never include them post-workout.

Archived