Harley's Whole 30 Log

Today will be Day 0 for my Whole 30 adventure. I have just recently turned 30 and now sees appropriate for this 30 day challenge. I am 5'10, fairly active and just weighed in at 208lbs. My profession requires me remain physically sharp and strong while still keeping my BW low. That is one area I have struggled in since high school where I played ball at 245lbs all the way through college.

I have numerous reasons to remain as healthy as possible. My daughter and soon to be daughter next month are two big ones. If I am their male role model than it is only right that I am the best one out there not only in character but in health as well.

My biggest hang up will be no alcohol. High stress occupation combined with a history full of events better off forgotten makes a nightly cocktail very lucrative. Again, not a good example and good to be moving away from that. So, here is how Day 0 worked out.

0500: Wake up

0630: Workout: Sprint training. 6x200m sprints 1:3 work rest ratio.

0900: Breakfast

- 3 Boiled Eggs

- 1 Apple

- 2 cups of Coffee

- water

1300: Lunch

- 2 large grilled chicken thighs

- 2 cups green beans

- water

1730: Dinner

- 10 oz tilapia

- 2 cups broccoli

- water

Fitday puts it at 1350cal which is obviously lower than I would like it. Will get more inventive with food choice as the days go on. Drank roughly 1gal of water so I should remain fairly well hydrated through out the night. No real cravings just I mild headache behind the eyes. Nothing new there though.

MTF

Where's the fat? You should be eating 1-2 palm size pieces of protein, filling the rest of the plate with veg AND having 1-2 thumb sizes of fat at every meal. The fat is really important. Somebody will probably give you more detail, but DON"T skip the fat.'

That low an amount of calories won't keep a fly alive, much less a full grown active man.

For comparison - I'm a 55 year old, insulin resistant, overweight woman with moderate activity at best. Some resistance, some walking.

My most common breakfast is three eggs cooked in ghee or coconut oil, a piece of meat and a heap of greens. Sometimes a piece of avocado, Usually a fatty meat like pulled pork or a burger. I don't get hungry again for 5-6+ hours. No blood sugar issues, no cravings.

I've not weighed in the last week+ but my clothes are getting noticeably looser and my face is leaning out. If I can eat that and lose weight/gain health, you can probably eat a lot more.

It may help you to take a look at some of the other food logs here.

• Moderators

Getting up at 0500 and sprinting at 0630 leaves room for a pre-workout meal. A boiled egg or two is a good one. You did not eat breakfast for a long time after your workout, so you needed a post-workout meal. Chicken breast and a baked sweet potato are good choices. Pre-and post-workout meals sound important for you especially as you need to eat more.

I have to say that I have been a die hard "train on an empty stomach" person forever, especially since I typically roll out of bed at 4:45 am and am working out by 5:30 - ugh, why would I want to eat that early?? However, I decided to try the It Starts With Food's suggestion of a pre-workout meal of fat/protein as a way to prep my body for working out. Typically, I just have a handful of raw cashews or almonds on my way to the gym. I don't think it's the ideal pre-WO meal, but that's about all that sounds edible that early. But, that pre-WO meal combined with their suggested post-WO meal of lean protein/starchy vegetable, then a full meal about 90 min later - my CrossFit performance has improved a ton and my appetite isn't out of control all day as it normally is.

For post workout, I usually bring a grilled chicken tender or two, and some baby carrots or some mashed sweet potato to the gym and eat it on the way home. Then I have at least 3 eggs for breakfast and some veggies 60-90 min later.

Day 1:

Today was rough. No workout and dragged with the headache from yesterday still lingering. Now that I have finished dinner the headache has subsided, it probably had a lot to due with a lack of calories. I upped them today. I hit about 2160cals with a 50/35/15 F/P/C. If I can get to 2500 I will be making strides. Getting the right amount calories has always been an issue for me. Today I added in cashews and coconut milk.

I should of read more on coconut milk. I thought it would resemble something I have seen on a movie or maybe a virgin pina colada. I hope someone can imagine my disappointment when I opened the can and found them semi-solid white mass. Upset with myself I did what most men would do, smell it and if it didn't come off rotten, I ate it. It smelled great, taste wasn't so bad, but the consistency was rough. Thankfully I have had to eat quite a few unpleasant dishes in my line of work so I was well prepared. Oh well, I bought six cans so I will either get creative or suck up five more.

0500: Wake Up

0700: Meal 1

- 3 eggs

- 1 apple

1200: Meal 2

- 2 chicken thighs

- 1 cup broccoli

1500: Meal 3

- 1 can coconut milk

- .5 cup cashews

1900: Meal 4

- 10oz Mocha steak

- Sweet Potato

- Asparagus

Another gallon of water today. Slept really bad last night. My mind was active all evening long, coupled with the headache it was unpleasant. Here's to tonight!

Day 2:

Probably the first fourth of July I hadn't had a drink and it was rough. Didn't do myself any favors by going to a party where everyone was drinking and eating whatever they pleased. But, I am very happy to say that I stayed clean through the event and felt better for it.

0530: Pre WO Meal - 1/4 cup of cashews

0600: 4 mile ruck with 50lbs pack.

0715: Post WO Meal

- 4oz mocha steak

- 1/2 sweet potato

1000: Meal 1

- 3 eggs

- apple

1400: Meal 2

- 2 chicken thighs

- 1 cup cauliflower

1600: Meal 3 (Cookout)

- lime and parsley chicken breasts

- pear salad

- homemade fruit salad

- Watermelon

Took the day off from counting calories, more than satisfied with staying clean through a traditionally unclean day.

Congrats on staying "clean" thru the party. That would be tough for me.

I'm with you on the alcohol part being really hard. I don't have a drinking problem at all; it's just that my routine every day involves coming home and having a glass of wine or a cocktail with my housemate as I fix dinner. I don't even need more than one - but it's a routine and a relaxation that I'm struggling with giving up. We actually finished off all the alcohol in the house this past week (and the one bottle of vodka we gifted to my next door neighbor, much to his surprise) and simply will not be buying any more until after the Whole30 is over.

I do miss my evening martini or red wine already tho! :)

Congratulations on staying on track through the 4th celebrations! That's a real test of perseverance. To make the coconut milk easier to cope with, put the can in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes and then shake it well before opening. It still won't be milk texture, but more like a really heavy cream. It's not really suitable for drinking, but is great in curry sauces, as cream in coffee, on berries and other places you might have used a heavy cream.

You gotta shake that can of coconut milk first. :) I drink about 1/3 c. of coconut milk in my coffee every morning and I've grown to love it.

Are you adding in more fat? Even though you're eating slightly fatty meats, those don't count as fat sources. You should be eating another fat with every meal.

They outline this perfectly in the book and it might be a post on the blog here as well. Would be super interesting to see how you feel after adding in more fat to your diet.

:)

I do miss my evening martini or red wine already tho! :)

Well it is good to hear that! I was starting to think that I was the only one here who had a drink on a regular basis. Thanks for the praise. My buddy who was hosting the event is a home beer brewer and trust me it was very hard to pass it down. Funny how people judge you when you step outside "Normal" behavior.

Good to know about the coconut milk! I will try to warm it up first. I have tried to add more fat Erin but it is very 180 from what I am use to eating. But great point not to count the fat in meat. I have added more olive oil, cashews, and the C milk. Granted I need to do better.

Mmmm .. home brewed beer. Yummy.

I can tell you already that I will not be giving up alcohol 100% after my Whole30 is done. There are too many benefits to a glass of wine or a beer now and again. Although I may not go back to having one daily, I'll definitely be having wine or something a couple of times a week.

Day 3:

This day really blew by as I feel most will as my job will having me out and about for the next month. I tried the sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil last night to go with dinner and they were excellent! Also, I think my wife is coming on board as well. She is currently pregnant so she still has her own special nutritonal needs, but I am always excited that she supports my very vast number of projects I take on.

0600: 4mile run

0700: Meal #1

- 3 boiled eggs

- 1 apple

- 1/4 cup of cashews

1200: Meal #2

- 1 chicken thigh

- 4oz mocha steak

- 1 cup broccoli

1800: Meal #3

- 7oz lime chicken breast

- sweet potato chips (home made in coconut oil)

- Broccoli

- watermelon

Slept great and no headaches dispite the 100 degree heat all day.

Day 4:

Tonight is date night with my wife which I am very excited about. It has been forever since we have had a sitter so it is something I will celebrate. But I must leave soon so will not capture what I ate yesterday. But I will say that Sarah cooked the salmon cakes that they have in the book and they were great! Felt great yesterday, slept great, with only minor cravings for a beer. No sweet tooth cravings, but that might have something to do with the daily apple and watermelon. They are very sweet to me now and days.

Today though I know I haven't been getting the calories in and I can feel my head starting to pound. It must be linked to the calories. Attempting to stay away from the excedrin right now....

Alvacado and bacon sounds devine.

Day 5:

We went out to eat last night and I was brought back down to reality. At least around where I live, it is very poor. Poor food selections and it seems to be tailored to the obese side of consumers. We decided steak would be a place where I could at least stay on track which I did. Steak, sweet potato, and a side salad with oil and vinegar. Nothing exciting, but it worked.

Still feel great, just tired a lot. When 2100 rolls around I am very much ready for bed.

Day 6:

I know for sure that today I am going to be way under my calorie goal. We are going to try to do some sweet potato crusted fish, sounds good. Great workout today on other news.

0700: Wake up

0730: 3 eggs and 4 strips of bacon with two tbls of coconut milk with coffee

1200: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 apple

1400: Workout

- 8x 40m sprints with 30 second rest intervals

- 5x3 Clean/Jerk @ 135,155,185, 205, 215lbs

will have dinner around 1830

Not a bad day, always feel better when I can get a good workout in.

Harley - sounds like you made the best possible choice in a bad situation. One thing to keep in mind for the next time you go out - steak places usually finish their steaks with butter. It gives them that glisteny "just off the grill" look and makes them taste richer. Double check with the waiter and make sure to ask for your steak with "no butter".

I'd love to have the recipe for the sweet potato crusted fish if it works out!!

So the fish turned out really well. You begin by peeling an uncooked sweet potato. Then shred. We used a cheese grater and it worked great. Two potatoes and you will have more than enough for 4 filets. Recommend using a non-stick pan (we used our cast iron skillet). Heat up with a thin layer of coconut oil covering the bottom. Medium heat. Take your shredded sweet potatoes and create a bed of potato right on the skillet for however many pieces of fish you are cooking or you have room for. Then take your fish, dip in egg to help bind and lightly powder with almond flour, place directly on top of the potato bed. Let cook for 4 minutes.

Here is the only tricky part.

With a flat spatula, lift potato bed and fish up off the skillet with one hand, and with the free had, make a new bed and place the fish (non potato) side down on your new potato bed. Let cook for an another 4 minutes.

At this point our fish was done and we had a slightly browned, crispy sweet potato cover for your fish which was very tender thanks to the covering it had. It was great. If your fish isn't done though, throw in the oven until you reach desired doneness.

Those are instructions written by a man which might not make sense to everyone else smarter in the kitchen than I, but my wife found it on Pintrest so I know it is out there. The main recipe called for regular flour, we made the sub with Almond.

Hope it works for you guys!

Archived