2nd try at Whole30

kew

6/12

M1, chicken thigh (right away), red cabbage, onion, tri-tip steak, coconut oil, black coffee, decaf iced tea

L toe still swollen; felt a bit backed up in the AM but since rectified.  Sinuses a bit stuffy, fingers definitely swollen (ring test!).

PW0, 1 slice steak

M2, chicken thighs (2), spinach, ghee, raspberries, black coffee, decaf iced tea

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To an older question, from what I've read an experienced foods that cause trouble for you definitely can cause cravings. Even though you weren't doubled over in pain after eating dairy and gluten, you definitely did have a negative reaction. A stuffy nose is a common reaction to dairy. As for nightshades I didn't realize you'd been off them. But I think you need to be off all troublesome food for a bit and then carefully reintro (a process i have yet to master) to understand what is responsible for any trouble.

Thanks, Beets!  Those posts were very timely because I was just lamenting how I want cream in my coffee all over again... Sigh.  And because I have been having some trouble falling asleep at night, which I have had in the past but not during the W30 that I can recall. 

Was going to start full bore AIP this morning....and then had a piece of beef jerky w/out thinking.  Of course it has pepper in it: it must, because it's spicy and that's why I like it!....  Oh well.  I'm still starting today.

AIP is not fun.  I am looking back with nostalgia at when I was "just" doing a Whole30.  And the chances are that my allergy woes have nothing to do with food anyway.  Feh.

:(..... It's so hard isn't it... I am sure my scalp rash worsens with hormones and exercise, is it just that or food as well??? So hard to tell.

Well I had about two weeks off cocoa, coffee, coconut and nuts then succumbed and am itchy, bloated and rashy! Wish I knew if it was the fodmaps, histamine or gluten cross reactivity.... Thinking it might be histamine based on the red itchy patches around my nose today after coffee and nuts.... Must go and look up if these are all high and what else is....

Sorry you're still struggling with the itches and rashes, Juzbo!

Hives are breaking out with a vengeance on my feet again.... What are the most histamine-ish foods, again?  Maybe AIP is exactly wrong for me?  I'm confused and discouraged.  Off to research....

I noticed I felt worse after lunch which was chicken salad.... With avocado.... This is high histamine I just discovered.... I am sure the coconut is contributing a lot, I have avoided it for two weeks until yesterday.

Hives on your feet sounds bad.... The bottom of my nose is now ulcerated... Well at least I now have motivation to go back off coffee, coconut and cocoa for another few weeks LOL.

Good luck finding your triggers.....

Wait, Juzbo, since when is coconut high histamine??  That hasn't shown up on the lists I have seen. Dangit.  (I did notice that some lists include avocado as high histamine, and spinach too, but both show up as okay or good on the new W9 low-histamine shopping list, so I'm thoroughly confused now.)

And an ulcerated nose sounds terrible -- I hope you get relief soon!!  Good luck to you!

Thanks kew, I haven't seen coconut listed as high histamine either but it is listed a lot as a troublemaker..... I know it's high in fodmaps as is avocado and most fodmaps are a problem for me so it must be that re tummy, not sure about the rashes though.

Skin has improved somewhat although I haven't been good with my diet, rebelling again :(. I wish I had an off switch re food so I could give my body a rest....

• 2 weeks later...

I had some wine today.  And some Pirate booty.  And I feel pretty darn good about it.  I feel good because I have been asking myself, do I want to break my streak?  And today, I wanted to.  And tomorrow, I will eat W30 style or pretty darn close.  That feels really good.

Okay, so I didn't eat perfectly today, in fact.  I had some cheese before dinner, and some more wine at dinner, and a delicious takeout meal that surely had verboten ingredients at least according to the W30.  

The interesting thing, though, is that I am sitting here feeling a little buzzed and I don't think I like it so much.  That is a first.  I haven't not liked feeling a little buzzed since I started drinking, even though it's been a long time since I've decided that being really drunk is a fool's errand into Yuckytown.  Between that and the bad night's sleep last night, I may be arriving at a more or less "meh" point about alcohol, where it really is about the flavor and not the distortion.  To consolidate this, though, I must now say "no" multiple days in a row, or else I will re-habituate to this feeling.

Archived