Cooking Spree

Suzgord

With Mother's Day on Sunday, I wasn't able to do much prep cooking, so on Monday, Day 1 after work, there was a tornado in my kitchen and it was me!

My children and husband kept asking me which of these things we were actually eating tonight; cumin spiced pork tenderloin in the slow cooker? no, that's Tuesday or Wednesday; the roasting broccoli in the oven? No, that's for some soup made with coconut milk; the chili without beans? No, that's for later this week, kiddos? The salmon in foil packs? Actually, yes. That's for mostly vegetarian husband and daughter. Leftover chili con frijoles for teenaged son with some of that roasted broccoli for everyone.

When I realized that I might starve in the mudstone of a kitchen full of food because nothing would be ready, I accelerated the broccoli soup and defrosted a grass fed ground beef patty.

My husband kindly offered to help clean up after the storm, and as soon as I whipped up a dozen egg with chicken sausage and veggie egg cupcakes for do-ahead breakfast, I said, "hells, yes!" it took me that long to package and refridgerate anyway.

Will I be doing that every night? Uh-uh? Do I feel more prepared and secure about getting through the hangover stage? Yep.

Best to us all! Any other cooking frenzies out there?

So glad to see that I'm not the only one taking my kitchen to new cooking level. I love cooking but now have to get use to cooking without butter/sugar/shop bought marinades and sauces.

Rediscovered my slow cooker and it work wonders!

Keep it up!

Absolutely: something in the slow cooker, something in the oven, something on the stove. Eventually, something in your stomach. Lots of chopping--and so much more meat! Ah, cave girl cooking. Let me know if you find any recipes that even people not eating Whole 30 might like.

What day are you on, Corrie?

It was fun to read about the cooking frenzies. I'm struggling with fatigue and energy issues (because of my m.s.), and it's very frustrating not to be able to cook as much or as easily as I used to. But I'm hanging in. I made some "Enchilada Chicken" (from PaleOMG) and it looks like it will be really good. Planning to put some Five-Spice Ribs in the slow cooker for overnight (recipe from ClothesMaketheGirl). I really love all the fun recipes I'm finding online and in the books I've purchased. Well Fed is the bomb!

I went to the grocery store last night, and went only to the produce and meat sections. That was kinda fun.

I only started on Monday, so still very new. Haven't had any nasty headachce or cravings so feeling pretty good at the moment.

Last night I made pork chops with spinach (just fried, using ghee, with mushrooms and onions) and steamed pumkin. I was really shocked with the natural flavour and taste of the veggies. Even my husband commented on how great it tasted. Made "bacon" cups this morning using thinly slices steak instead of bacon, it was define and nobody will even know it is W30.

I made a giant fritatta( full of spinach, grnd turkey, and mushrooms), I made Mexican Beef Stew (from nom nom paleo app), and a giant meatloaf (lamb, beef, mushroom, parsley), AND last night I put 8 1/2 pounds of pork butt in my slow cooker to make Kalua Pork (also from nom nom paleo), so I'll have plenty of proteins to choose from.

I attempted to make mayo, but it flopped. However, this liquidy mayo flop has been a great base for salad dressings, I've just added some vinegar of my choice and some fruit juice to make it (last night was rice vinegar and pineapple and orange juice w some orange zest).

I made a giant fritatta( full of spinach, grnd turkey, and mushrooms), I made Mexican Beef Stew (from nom nom paleo app), and a giant meatloaf (lamb, beef, mushroom, parsley), AND last night I put 8 1/2 pounds of pork butt in my slow cooker to make Kalua Pork (also from nom nom paleo), so I'll have plenty of proteins to choose from.

I attempted to make mayo, but it flopped. However, this liquidy mayo flop has been a great base for salad dressings, I've just added some vinegar of my choice and some fruit juice to make it (last night was rice vinegar and pineapple and orange juice w some orange zest).

My first mayo was pretty good last month. This time, it never really thickened right. Tricky business, it appears. I think you're right, though, I used some of mine for a cumin lime salad dressing recipe from Well Fed, and that worked great. Tasted good, too. So let's not call those thin mayos failures but salad dressing base. It's a whole new thing. :)

I only started on Monday, so still very new. Haven't had any nasty headachce or cravings so feeling pretty good at the moment.

Last night I made pork chops with spinach (just fried, using ghee, with mushrooms and onions) and steamed pumkin. I was really shocked with the natural flavour and taste of the veggies. Even my husband commented on how great it tasted. Made "bacon" cups this morning using thinly slices steak instead of bacon, it was define and nobody will even know it is W30.

Hmmm, tell me more about these "bacon cups." Are they a base for an egg dish?

It was fun to read about the cooking frenzies. I'm struggling with fatigue and energy issues (because of my m.s.), and it's very frustrating not to be able to cook as much or as easily as I used to. But I'm hanging in. I made some "Enchilada Chicken" (from PaleOMG) and it looks like it will be really good. Planning to put some Five-Spice Ribs in the slow cooker for overnight (recipe from ClothesMaketheGirl). I really love all the fun recipes I'm finding online and in the books I've purchased. Well Fed is the bomb!

I went to the grocery store last night, and went only to the produce and meat sections. That was kinda fun.

Going right now to check out the Enchilada Chicken from Paleo OMG. I love Mexican flavors. This morning, I ate a big bowl of the chili I made at the start of the week--the last of it--with a couple of fried eggs on top. Yes, my teenaged children looked at me funny, but I've dealt with that before?

Also digging my brand new copy of WELL FED. I hope you begin feeling more energetic soon. There's a lot going on in your body. Try to take care of yourself. Well, I guess you are, huh? By doing the Whole30.

The Enchilada Chicken came out really well. I was initially drawn to it because of the recipe for it in a salad with mango and avocado, but I've mostly just ended up eating it on its own. Well, yesterday I did have some over a bed of arugula and some spicy guacamole. There was lots of spiciness going on there! Yum.

I also made the "breakfast mix" with ground turkey and apple. It was really tasty too. This morning for breakfast I had it in a roasted acorn squash half, which was fun.

I'm really liking this way of eating, and it's good to push myself to do more cooking as well. Can't always do much, but I can do some! Thanks for the encouragement. Hope it's going well for you too.

Archived