Double event this weekend

dianavuong

I know there are a lot of posts on nutrition advice for endurance events but I couldn't really find anything that discusses my particular situation...

I am participating in an event this coming weekend that is a 35 mile bike ride on Saturday and a 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I wanted some advice on how you think I should best prepare for this event nutritionally before, after, and during. I expect temperatures to be on the warmer side.

Thanks for your input! Any help will be appreciated.

From my experience, you can just treat these as normal workouts of similar duration/intensity. They'll be 18+ hours apart, allowing for plenty of recovery time. In other words:

Friday night: If you eat any differently the night before a long bike ride, eat your normal pre-ride dinner.

Saturday morning: Normal pre-ride breakfast, then during the ride, hydrate and take in salt supplementation as well as normal mid-ride fuel (dried fruit, sweet potato puree, etc - whatever you've been using). Immediately after the ride, intake a post workout meal. If possible, take an ice bath for 10-15 minutes to aid recovery.

Saturday night: Do a few leg drains (http://blog.timesunion.com/running/legs-up-the-wall-pose/2781/) to keep fresh blood flowing to your legs. Again, eat your normal pre-event dinner.

Sunday morning: Just like you'd approach any other long run - pre-run breakfast, bring hydration and salt. I personally wouldn't need any mid-run fuel for 13.1 miles, but if you do, bring what you've been using.

Archived