5/14 My 2nd Attempt at Whole30

AuntB

OKay. I am FURIOUS. After visiting some of the other boards on here, I just found out that ALL of Chipotle's meat has SOY in it!!! I've eaten here 3x since being on my whole30 thinking that If i got the salad (no beans, rice, or cheese/sour cream) that i'd be okay!! Apparently i've just throw my whole whole30 away in 3 meals. I'm so pissed. Why can't they just stop making things with SOY in it. Seriously.

Anyway, since I didn't do this knowingly and I can tell a big difference in my relationship with food, i'm going to continue what i've got going here. I plan on eating this way for awhile, so it's like this is all for nothing. I know "rules are rules" but i'm still counting it as a whole30.

I cannot let this defeat me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, right?!? I saw those posts too, and now I'm bummed since that's, like, the only restaurant I told hubby we can eat at for quick meals. Boo.

Nah, I wouldn't start over, unless you were w30'ing it to test out a soy sensitivity. Now you know, and knowing is half of the battle. Good luck on your last week!

Thanks ladies.. i'm upset too as this was the only place my family and I could go during my whole30 and now that's out. My mom wants to grab dinner tonight and keeps suggesting it. I told her no. She doesn't understand the problem with Soy. She said "it's natural! it comes from a bean!" but this comes from the woman who says she's "practically" doing "what i'm doing" (whole30) but still eats, beans, cheese, and grains. Uh... okay?

So I sent her several articles this moring on the impact of Soy. Hopefully she reads them and they sink in a little. I only have 6 more days, but I will probably keep avoiding it unless it's a special occaison.

I'm doing good.. day 24. Yesterday I upgraded my half to a FULL  marathon in october. I'm a litter nervous as I plan on staying paleo as much as possible. I guess only time will tell!

Wow, you are amazing. Such an inspiration to someone who is on Day 6.

I say, take some time over the summer to figure out how you react to different things, using the reintroduction schedule. Then, when your wedding and honeymoon come, you'll have a clear understanding of what works for you and what doesn't. A wedding and honeymoon are meant to be savored. If you know a gluten free cupcake will have you doubled over in pain, that's probably a powerful motivation to skip it. If the effects are less dramatic, I think relaxing and enjoying whatever foods you like during that special time (and any time, really!) will have super positive psychological/health benefits. Just my two cents.

And congratulations! On both the Whole30 and your upcoming wedding!

AuntieB, I'm sorry about Chipotle. There's one a few doors down from my office but I haven't eaten there. There isa small mexican restaurant across the street that sells me a scoop of carnitas for $2 so i cant beat that. Thanks for the heads up.

You must be so excited about your dress fitting! The days have flown by, haven't they? I can't wait to hear how much you love your dress. We all want pics of course!

You have lots of time to sample a GF cupcake as well as ice cream before your wedding. I've been vegan or vegetarian a lot of my adult life. When I reintro'd dairy I was a stinky gassy mess. That's the last thing you wnt on your honeymoon. Test things this umber to see how they make you feel. Write down your reactions so tht you can remind yourself whether something is physically worth it. Your celiac really restricts you so you'll need to tread lightly. The only thing that matters is that you feel great and your food gives you good energy to enjoy everything you'll want to do. You don't want to look back and wish that you had abstained from something because it robbed you of a fun day because you felt sick. You're a pro at abstaining and taking care of yourself, but I certainly understand the desire to "let go and live a little"!

Day 28- Here I am. Almost done. And i'm ready. I've been trying to keep a positive attitude, but it's becoming increasingly hard being SUPER strict. The weekends usually involve us eating out somwhere. We are always out, running errands or something. We stopped at a Chik fil a and I thought a salad would be safe. It came with bacon (which i'm sure wasn't compliant), cheese, and CORN! I could have cried. I just threw it away and wasted $8. I almost said screw it right there. I am so exhausted with "I can't have this" and "I can't have that" because NO one gets it. Plus, everyone says "well you CHOOSE to do that" and that makes it that much more infuriating.

I think my finace is getting frustrated too. We always used to go to waffle house EVERY weekend, but there was NOTHING I could eat there on the whole30 so we haven't been in over 28 days. He's really missing our little "tradition" on going there, and honestly, I do too.

So, this is my plan for after my whole30.

Stay as clean as possible ( and paleo, no grains, diary, ect.) but not so restrictive. If something has butter on it, oh well. If I want to go to chipolte and have a salad with barbacoa every once in awhile, so be it. I felt miserable in Chik Fil A this weekend. I couldn't eat what I ordered because I am restricing myself SO much. It's just NOT manageable at this level. Also, NO sugar. I think this is most important to me. No sweet tea, no diet soda, nothing like that.

Sorry I am so frustrated, but it's getting to me. I thought I could go longer than 30 days, but I'm at a breaking point.

Do you think you'll feel better if you eat all the restricted stuff or will you feel worse that you cracked? I cracked at the weekend and I feel bad about it. I'm back to feeling determined now though so in some respects I think it was worth it as it made me realise that I do want to do this. . I'm hoping to do a whole 50 or 60 too but trying not to think further than tomorrow.

Is there anything you really like that is w30? Could you prep it when you aren't hungry - just to get you to day 30 and your dress fitting. Those two events might spur you on further.  You've come so far - hang in for a little more time. 

thanks guys! I'm feeling a little better. It's only the weekends that give me trouble. We really don't plan enough, and don't have foods readily available on the weekend. I need to work harder on this. I really want to stay as close to whole30 as possible when it's over, because I really feel much better this way. I can also tell i'm losing weight which was one of the perks of eating this way.

I just get sick of not being able to eat when I go places, or go to a friends house. It's not commonplace to "whole30" and everyone just gets irritated with my contstant excuses for why I can't eat something. Tonight for dinner we had grassfed burgers with onions and peppers with collard greens and parsnips. Yummmm. So good!

On to day 29 tomorrow....

Thanks Meg. It's sure not easy. Went to a friends on Sunday and she had a tastefully simple party! Eek! I just snacked on carrots. She did have gluten free nut chips, but I just passed on them. They probably don't get me at all! LOL

Well, this is the end of day 29. I'm so glad the end is near. I feel like I've learned a LOT, but i'm ready to not be so restricted.

Had eggs and steak for dinner tonight. Yum!

Yum on steak and eggs! You're so right, socializing and eating out are more difficult on Whole 30. Youve done fantastic! Very soon you'll be done! Congratulations on sticking with it.

Let us know how your dress fitting goes!

Thanks Calee and Chitowngirlintx!

I plan on keeping a Post 30 log if you want to keep up with me there! It'll be called "Aunt B's" something.. not sure yet! =)

I feel like this whole30 is ending at a good time. While training for my first marathon, i'm going to run training runs with the foods they plan on having on hand at the race. They are not whole30 approved, but will most likely be one of unclean foods i'm eating before the wedding.

I really do feel like i've learned A LOT from this challenge even if ive been a little cranky here at the end. The first BIG thing. I've stopped treating food as a comfort thing. You know what I mean. I used to go to Olive Garden (pre- celiac awareness) and I'd eat an entire entree!! I was full about halfway in, but the food was SOOO good, that I wanted to stuff myself with it. Now, that doesn't happen. Food is just...well, food! It's just energy for my body. It's no longer a mental thing. I'm not saying that the food i'm eating now isn't good, because it is! But I eat to fuel my body, and not the other way around.

Over the last 30 days, i've also started looking at junk that I THINK I want  and i've started asking myself "how will this benefit my body? what about this food is good for me?" and that is something that I would have never thought before. Ever. If it tasted good, it was good enough for me. Now, I look at the labels, see all the chemicals, and just put it right back on the shelf. So just that alone is a huge deal for me.

Tomorrow I will weigh in. I will post my results on here, and start over with a new journal in the Post Whole30 section.

Thanks for all the support everyone! I've really apprecaited it!!!

Woohoo!!!  I can't wait to hear the results, although what you posted above is really the big win.  :):):)

Don't leave us hanging on the dress fitting either.  We're all a little invested in your journey now.

Good job!!! :D

Well I had my first fitting last week on 6/6. I guess I didn't post about it because I wasn't that happy. My dress didn't feel ANY smaller. I'm not sure if it was the longline bra they had me in, or the fact that I had JUST eaten dinner, but I was STUFFED into the dress. There is NO way, i've grained weight, so I just didn't understand it. My fiance said "Maybe it was the bra makign you feel bad, and not the dress!" he could be right. I have no idea HOW tight the bra is supposed to be, but this was miserable. I'll have to wear it around a few times to get used to it!

I have another fitting on 7/5, so maybe this will be a little bit more of a success for me.

My whole30 was over yesterday. I wanted to come back and post and update if anyone was still reading here.

I layed in bed this morning dreading my weigh in. It's one of things where I had set my expectations high and I almost knew i'd be diasppointing myself when I got on the scale.

When I started the whole30 I was 155.4 (i'm 5' 3.5") and that's considered overweight. Today the scale read 151.4 which comes to exactly 4 lbs lost in 30 days with only a few runs. The first couple seconds I was massively disappointed. I really wanted to lose at least 6 to put me under 150. Then I thought, "this is the most i've seen the scale move in almost two years" and this is the first time I haven't OBSESSED about stepping on the scale. I was seriously addicted. I'd get on EVERY day and let the number on the screen rule my day with an iron first. It was completely crazy behavior. I lost the healthy amount of weight you should lose in a month's time.

My relationship with food HAS changed. My body composition has SURELY changed. Most of my clothes are very loose now, and people have been telling me that I look thinner. So it might have been only 4 lbs, but I haven't gotten any compliments in awhile.

So all in all, this was a win for me. I plan to do another whole30 LIKE run over the next month, but I suppose I can't really call it a whole30 because i'm adding bacon/sausage back in. (they are still nitrate and nitrite free, but cured with sugar) and that's the only thing I plan on doing. So I'll start a post whole30 log and it keep it going over there.

Good luck to anyone reading this that's still doing a whole30! Just remember. It IS worth it~

Archived