Any luck at Carrabba's or Maccaroni Grill?

DanielleM

Hi All! I just started my Whole 30 on Sunday... and it looks like this Thursday we are going to be celebrating Mother's day and several birthdays. The restaurants of choice are either Carrabba's or Maccaroni Grill. Has anyone had luck ordering compliant meals at either place? I'd hate to start over a week in. With my travel/work schedule, it's hard to find 30 days straight where I can make my own meals the majority of the time. This is the only window I can foresee for the rest of the year, and I want to make the most of it!

Thanks in advance!

D.

Doesn't Carrabba's usually tell you that their food is 90% from scratch? Maybe that means you can ask them to use a clean pan (in case they use anything icky to season the grill) and cook you some sort of protein and veg, maybe with olive oil. This has worked for us at steak houses. Maybe we'll give Carrabba's a try.

When i was on my W30 I ordered a spicy chicken soup without pasta and a steak salad with lemon dressing minus the Romano cheese at carrabba's. I think it's a good place to go if u can resist the bread and the tempting entres.

So they decidecd on Maccaroni Grill. I'm guessing a modified salad is the best bet. Any advice on ordering Protien to make sure it doesn't get cooked in anything non-compliant? I already don't get dressing on my salads in restraunts, and olive oil is easy since it's an italian place!

Ask to speak to someone about the cooking oil. If you feel brave, you can even ask to see the oil. Don't forget to ask how the cooking surface is seasoned. And, specify for them not to add anything after - sauce, butter, etc. Once you have ordered to the best of your ability, enjoy the celebration.

Oh, and croutons and cheese might be added to your salad if you don't specify. It can be a pain to pick them out and is easier to tell them in advance.

Much like Beets, I bring my own oil and vinegar.

So they decidecd on Maccaroni Grill. I'm guessing a modified salad is the best bet. Any advice on ordering Protien to make sure it doesn't get cooked in anything non-compliant? I already don't get dressing on my salads in restraunts, and olive oil is easy since it's an italian place!

I have a friend who worked there for a short time. They use canola to cook their proteins. Canola is not prohibited on W30. They use a non cold pressed olive oil (a little icky but expected) blended with vegetable (aka soy..very icky) oil in their dressings. He suggested a grilled steak with double grilled veggies. He also suggested not to ask to see the olive oil unless you want to irritate the people cooking your food.

I'll bring my own olive oil. I know they usually have it on the table for dipping the bread- I doubt that would be a blend, but I guess you never know.... I already ask for no croutons or cheese out of habit.

I'll try to get there early so I don't have to make a scene at the table.. I have a friend who is highly allergic to peanuts, and some servers just don't "get" it and it can become a huge ordeal. :) Otherwise I'm thinking about just getting a veggie salad and eating my protien before I get there or when I get home.... Thoughts?

When we have done the eating out thing, we spoke to a person in the kitchen (via the host or manager) before getting to the table. When we got to the table, relaying the order through the server was not too much of a hassle. In a larger group, this could be a challenge. I found it to be a little stressful at first and then felt a huge sense of accomplishment.

Of course, eating your own food is probably safer. Either way, I hope you will enjoy the evening!

I'll bring my own olive oil. I know they usually have it on the table for dipping the bread- I doubt that would be a blend, but I guess you never know.

I would bet you money it absolutely is a blend. Only in a very fine-dining Italian restaurant would you get real EVOO. There's a thread around here somewhere about the big olive oil scam, and how most Americans have never even tasted real olive oil. Keep in mind, these places are chains. They do not exist to give you a 100% authentic Italian experience. They exist to make money for stockholders. And if they use a 60/40 blend of olive and canola oil, like almost every restaurant I've ever worked in has, they can save millions over time, which translates into higher profits.

Archived