Day 17 and smell

Hi all day 17 and I feel like total crap, irritable, exhausted, and my breath smells weird and I feel like I have body odor! What is this about?

I eat the same thing pretty much everyday and am very good have not gone off no matter what is placed in front of me, sweets, wine etc.

Does this go away? Help.

Sure, I eat the 3 meals per day. Breakfast is hand sized protein.Chicken ground beef sausage with a lot of veggies sauted and a scrambled egg added in.

Lunch is always a salad with chicken on top.

Dinner is a salad, veggies and protein mostly chicken cooked in the oven. Fats include coconut oil and olive oil and balsamic on salad. I have a few cashews if I feel really hungry. I do not eat avocado.

That is it. I feel like I have insulin resistance and I have digestive issues where I do not assimilate all the nutrients, minerals and vitamins.

Before this diet I ate a lot of sugar in the form of candy bars. maybe 2 or 3 a day. Rarely ice cream as i am lactose intolerant. I had stopped eating anything gluten already for the last year. Don't drink anything but water sometimes with lemon and coffee with a little coconut oil in the morning.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate any advice

Hmmm...your meals look okay. I see no starchy veggies though. I think maybe you are carb starving yourself a la atkins which could explain your general malaise and stinkiness. Try adding a sweet potato and try eating closer to the top of the meal template.

Not sure about the odor but from what you posted, I think you need to add fat to breakfast and lunch and possibly more protein. It goes against the grain as far as the conventional diets go but you will be amazed at how different you feel!

Good luck in finding the right combination of what works for you! :)

If you are not eating enough carbs, your body might be in ketosis. Look it up, it will talk about the weird smell and taste in your mouth. As others mentioned, it looks like you need to add more carbs like starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, squash etc) and I would imagine you'd feel a lot better!

Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies,

I don't really like the taste of sweet potatoes so that is a problem. Forgot to add I was eating a fruit salad that consisted of blueberries, pineapple, and strawberries each day with lunch salad about a cup, but stopped because I felt fatter than when I started the program.

My clothes are tighter than ever and I am just concerned that I am gaining weight which makes no sense because I am eating so much less than before. The worst feelings started after i cut out the fruit.

I am not sure how much more fat to add, I already take oils in coffee and in cooking.

Also, just wanted to add that the atkins diet, a low carb diet depends on people going into ketosis for weight loss because it means that the body is burning fat and the chemicals released create an odd smell/taste in the mouth. The Whole30 does not promote carb restriction and if you follow the meal template you shouldn't be in ketosis. The only reason I know about ketosis is because I wasn't eating enough carbs in the beginning of my Whole30 and felt exactly the same way as you, the worst part being that my breath smelled funky! So I did some research and here I am! Hope that helps!!

I am not sure how much more fat to add, I already take oils in coffee and in cooking.

To add more fat but avoid avocados, you could try adding more cooking fats to your eggs, chicken, and steamed/roasted veggies. There are a lot of delicious options there! Try ghee, tallow, duck fat, cocunut butter ...

Thank you all, I am a kind of limited eater and only will eat certain things. Ghee is not on that list lol. I will add more veggies and try sweet potato :huh: I may find I like it. My daughter is a trainer and says, like you it sounds like ketosis.

Becoming/being fat adapted is NOT a bad thing…I am fat adapted and very happy that I am. I eat sweet potatoes almost everyday, and my love of vegetables is almost obscene…I have to watch my protein consumption, because I want to fill up on veggies!

Ketosis (dumbed down a lot) is the result of too many ketones for your inexperienced fat burning body to break down and use for energy… and they have to come out somewhere…

As your body becomes fat adapted fewer and fewer ketones will be flushed…and the energy needed to write forum posts, do dishes, go grocery shopping, etc. will be fueled by fat.

Being fat adapted does NOT make you feel like crap, and isn't something to be afraid of…it is pretty awesome!

Bethann67, good info. I wish I would have heard that earlier because in the beginning of my Whole30 I became aware of ketosis but was never sure whether it was bad or would if it ever go away. Thank you!

To Kaiser179'

I am new to the Whole30 -- why limit avocados?

Thanks!

J.

I'm not sure if the original poster mentioned not liking avocados? They are not a food that needs to be limited, or at least not any more than a rational serving and a fat portion fitting the template at each meal (ie. half an avocado at each meal: fine. 3-4 avocados at a sitting: probably not the best idea...)

and make sure you drink a lot of water! This breath thing seems to be a common problem. Our bodies are so messed up by our poor eating habits I'm sure some of us struggle to 'recover' more than others. It also appears that some of us enter ketosis much faster than others... or bad breath isn't a side effect for everyone who experienced ketosis.

I just hope it doesn't lead to people quitting the program early. Adjustments to find what works for you will be hit or miss. I hope you get a 'hit' right away!

Archived