Bad Breath/Taste

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 15 days into my Whole30 and as of three days ago I start experiencing bad breath/taste. It's gotten so bad that it has made me throw up and I haven't been able to eat much as it makes everything I eat taste horrible.

I have a really good dental hygeine schedule but that seems to only be a temporary fix, usually about an hour before it goes bad again, I've tried liquid chlorophyll and probiotics incase it was something in my gut and I'm drinking a lot of water also.

I've looked around on the internet and the only thing that could be causing this is ketosis. I've tried adding more carb rich vegetables to my meals but it hasn't made a difference.

Has anyone else here experienced anything similar? What did you do to fix it? Does it go away on its own?

Thanks for your help.

Its unlikely that you are in ketosis if you are eating veggies. One possible culprit is heavy metal detox. This will happen through your teeth/mouth and yes, it does go away after a while (although for now be happy the heavy metals are exiting your system!). One thing that really helps is oil pulling. I know, it sounds weird, but do this: take a spoonful of coconut oil (not huge) and hold it in your mouth. Once it melts, start swishing it through your teeth and back and forth. Swish it around your mouth for a minute or so? I never could stand it for very long. When you are done, spit it into the trash (it will clog your sink) and rinse once more with water. The oil binds to any heavy metals in your mouth, and coconut oil in particular is antibacterial (meaning this should help even if this is something other than heavy metal detox), anyway, win win. worth a try?

For the record, FYI: my teeth/mouth has never been healthier since I started the whole30, like noticed by my hygenist healthier, so there is hope. :)

• Moderators

I wonder if your time line has been too compressed for starchy, carb-rich vegetables to help YET. If you have been in ketosis, it may take more than a day of eating carb rich vegetables to balance you out again.

I've heard ketosis smells fruity, not nasty, but we all interpret smell differently. You don't say what you eat or how much, but ketosis breath on a low carb diet is a real issue.

I assume you have eliminated the reasons like cooking with a ton of garlic? You brush the back of your tongue?

Would you ask someone else what your breath smells like when you think it is bad? Not something you want to advertise, I know. Or, have others commented?

Up to you on whether or not this side effect is worth it. Whole30 isn't for everyone (and I don't mean will power or motivation: it just isn't right for everyone). Keep extra hydrated and maybe buy some chewing gum that uses Xylitol as a sweetener (breaks Whole30 I suppose).

Pam, I don't think it's good to encourage someone to break W30 rules here. Gum is not allowed for multiple reasons. I would imagine if something that simple could fix her problem, mouthwash/teeth brushing would work just as well and not break the rules.

sorry! I don't feel it was an encouragement, but point taken.

I hope you find a way to end the odor. I can't imagine it being to the point of vomiting. If it does not go away after Whole30, when you have added carbs back to a reasonable level, I would check with an MD or naturopath. Hopefully, since it is a new problem, it will resolve itself.

Archived