Two Movies and a Dinner?

Star Trek and IronMan 3 are out, and my husband and I want to go see them between his work travels. These are movies that NEED to be seen on the big screen, imho!

So, I've seen soaking carrots in salt, macadamia nuts, some raisins, apple slices to carry in with me.

Any other go to snacks?

I am blessed in that I DO have diabetes and can say so if they question me bringing in my own food, and I DO have severe IODINE allergies - anything shellfish oriented - so they usually will do anything to make my food work - but there are things I'm reading in this thread that are so surprising maybe that's why I didn't feel well after eating that meal I thought was compliant!).

Here's my idea:

Meat - wood fired(per someone's comments about working at Outback)

salad dry(BYODressing - or Lemon slices!)

Sweet Potato - Plain

I could ask that the veggies have EVOO on them, but I'm not sure that cooked veggies are cooked to order

Here's my issue, as well.

I went to an Applebees, and asked that they exchange the shrimp with chicken on my salad a few weeks ago, and had an allergic reaction. I don't know if I mentioned the allergy...but could they have put shrimp on it, then taken it off? So, if that was done, what if I ask about oils and they just rinse it off? Or whatever?

Olive Garden would grill a chicken breast for me - with just some EVOO and I would have that next to their salad.

Now I am wondering if I can trust anyone? Sugar, in chicken? Inconceivable!

My questions - what are your go to snacks for movies?

and

What restaurants have been the most accommodating to your requests?

I think you have some good ideas already. My movie snacks would depend on where I was on my whole30.. I could take fruit or a baggie of raw almonds, coconut shreds, maybe some raisins (again, depends on your comfort level) for a trail mix of sorts; I love radishes because of the crunch; veggies, fruit.

Restaurants I avoid and if I am forced into one against my will lol, I will get a small side salad and ask if they have hard boiled eggs and use O&V for my dressing. I do carry emergency nuts, an apple or an orange or lara bar in my purse though and I've eaten some of that with my salad at a restaurant before.

I made up a container of sliced apples, in squeezed orange juice, because I had the oranges, and not lemons..., sprinkled cinnamon and a few sliced almonds we still had in the pantry. I screwed on the lid, shook it up, and left! I did have pecans in my purse as well - but I forgot those.

That became an issue, as I ended up going too long between meals(as a diabetic) and the apples in orange juice(didn't drink the juice) did give me that high, then crash. If I had eaten the pecans, I think it would have been fine. In fact, I ate a handful on the way to the restaurant, and I was less shaky!

We went to Texas Roadhouse - not my first option, but because of my crash, a close option. Because of allergies, had the fillet grilled in aluminum foil, no spices, no oils, no sugar - just salt and pepper. sweet potato and a salad with oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper.

All in all - I think this was a successful date!

We saw Star Trek last night. Enjoyed it!

Was a lil nervous about wanting to snack and didnt have much time to prepare. Had a tub of raisins. (I know: sugar bomb. But that was the portable snack I had on hand.) Would've brought nuts too for fat, but Im on AIP now and avoiding nuts. Made a giant cup of mint tea in a thermos.

Didn't miss popcorn. It smelled nasty. I was glad I had my mint tea and could inhale that instead. Though I had to be careful so it didn't fog up my 3D glasses. ;)

I think those chain restaurants all use cheap oil (soybean, chemically deodorized rancid canola, etc) and lots of sugar in everything. There is probably wheat/gluten/soy hiding in unexpected places. During my W30 I avoided eating out. I know not everyone will do that, but def bring your own dressing and get the most plain protein you can. There is supposedly a carnitas salad at Chipotles that is compliant.

Star Trek is scheduled for next Saturday...I like the idea of taking some mint tea! We bought the large bottles of water.

I will eat before I go this time...not do the 12:50 show, after running someplace else, hence, not home for lunch.

I'm hoping my hubby will go for the 3d cost again...he says he doesn't get anything out of it because he acclimates to it after a while. Hello...that's the point - so it feels like you are REALLY seeing it! Anyway - this time, I plan to have some macadamias, some carrots, and an apple...and I have all week to plan for it! It was interesting - we got there early, and I ate before the show...then didn't snack at all during. I could have brought a lunch, instead!

And, yes, I asked at both the steak house that afternoon, and at Bob Evan's today about what oil...and asked if they could prepare my meat without it. Both were very accommodating. I did drop the A word...I suppose I could lay my epipen on the table for good measure! But it's for shellfish. LOL but you never know what may have been commercially processed along with that canola/soybean oil! Coulda been peanuts, too! ;-)

Just my tuppenceworth and this has nothing to do with W30 but I've never understood the whole eating in the cinema thing - I just don't get it. If I go to see a film I want to be so enthralled, so caught up in the movie that I don't want to dilute that experience by chomping away. If I'm thinking about what I'm eating, I'm spoiling the film and if I'm eating without thinking about it - what's the point? If I'm hungry I eat before or after the cinema, never at it and :ph34r: I hate the noise some people make rustling packets, unwrapping sweets etc :ph34r: Guess I'm just weird - huh :huh:

I agree. The eating compulsion is bizarre, nevermind laying out $15 for a tub of HFCS and another tub of stale popcorn globbed with butter-flavored soybean oil. I always used to prefer a box of Raisinets, but the eating of crap is ingrained in my brain as being part of the "movie experience."

I liked having my tea and raisins because it helped me enjoy the movie and not think about not eating the smelly popcorn.

Kirsteen and Beets - clarification!!!!

Eating at a movie is mindless eating...of crap! ;-)

I just realized, I have gone to movies, and just because of the cost did not buy anything but a drink...because I do get thirsty.

BUT WHY SHOULD I TRY TO FIT INTO A MOLD THAT I WASN'T FITTING INTO IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Beets - if you need it, then take it, right?

But, since I had already broken that mindless habit, I think I'll choose not to pick it back up again.

On the other hand, it was supposed to be food to help me go from breakfast through the lunch hour...so, it was sort of my meal 2/lunch, since we didn't stop(where would you stop????).

Beets, I LOVE the way you describe the food...I have been reciting "rancid oil, rancid oil, rancid oil" since day 1...it really helps!

:P

I've never really liked popcorn much, so I'm right there with you! I think it smells TERRIBLE, and even if it's less terrible if you're eating it, it's still just less terrible and not great. It's always WAY too salty too. And fake butter tastes nothing like real butter (clarified or not). I don't get how people can be so faked out by it!

I don't know. I've brought almonds/raisins to the theater but didn't eat them that time. Just wasn't hungry because it was the Hobbit and I was taken in. Never been a fan of Macademias, so I finally (2 months later) finished the tiny pack I'd bought and had been forcing myself to eat (can you say eaten at the same time as a dried apricot, which is not a food without brakes, just so I can choke it down?). Good on you if you can eat them!

Beets - fake popcorn? microwave instead of in a pan?

of course, I probably will not every do popcorn of any type again...too easy to mindlessly eat, period!

Kevin Green - remember to prepare! Make decisions before hand...and EAT before, and maybe you won't be tempted during!

Star Trek this coming weekend...woohoo!

Yeah, macademias were just a weird flavor and texture. I hope you do like them - else you'll be eating them for a little while to get rid of them!

I love them in cookies too, but it was the sweet that I wanted, not the nuts...

I love raw macadamias. I had to vote them off the island. I was stopping by the freezer and grabbing them too often. I have so changed my relationship with food that I now keep raw cashews in my freezer to make my favorite kale salad dressing with. I also sometimes saute them in ghee when I am looking for a healthy fat. I am digressing. :0)

I am with Kirsteen. I never eat at the movies but I never have. To me it's mindless eating. And like Kirsteen, I hate hearing wrapper noises and chewing during the movie.

Beets - fake popcorn? microwave instead of in a pan?

of course, I probably will not every do popcorn of any type again...too easy to mindlessly eat, period!

Kevin Green - remember to prepare! Make decisions before hand...and EAT before, and maybe you won't be tempted during!

Star Trek this coming weekend...woohoo!

Yes I am prepared and will enjoy food during movie as well !

• 2 weeks later...

Archived