Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

Has anyone else experienced changes with menstrual cycle? I have endometriosis and this causes me a fair amount of pain and discomfort (hysterectomy may happen). Yesterday I started my cycle without warning and due to the medical interventions I have in place for endometriosis I'm not due for at least another two months or more. As yet no positive effects in reduction of pain etc, but I'm not bloated which is nice. Has anyone else had changes?

• Like 1
  • Moderators

My period was five days late with my Whole30, and I've never ever ever ever in the 25 years I've been menstruating been late. Not through chemo, marathon training, nothing.

• Like 2

I had been gluten free prior to my first Whole 30 back in October, but it was my first dairy free trial. I'm on a second Whole 30 right now, and in the interim I've eaten very little dairy. My cycle is more regular, and even better...more normal instead of too heavy as it been previously. Something about avoiding dairy seems to balance my hormones.

• Like 7

When I quit sugar and grains (was still eating dairy) in Feb my period totally shocked me. Which never happens. I get very bad PMS and am usually weepy and paranoid for days.

On my W30 my period took forever to arrive. I felt like I was 40 weeks pregnant and paying attention to every minute sensation in my body. I completely felt my lower abdomen getting heavier, filling up. I felt my mood change.

Once my period arrived, it was more crampy than the previous one.

My last period (post W30 but following AIP) was early and my PMS significantly less of an issue. Period also seemed shorter and less heavy.

• Like 3

Same here, in 25+ years I've been pretty much clockwork. I'm 5 days late and I think my particular grogginess this time around means it's imminent, I really don't know how to explain this feeling but just zero energy. Prior to W30 I was following FourHourBody and again my period was very late. I'm pretty sure the two incidences co-incide with weight-loss. I'm 5'2" and weighed around 55/56kg - I did have a bodypod analysis done but I can't remember what the percentage was - think it was around 18%. I'm back around this weight again, so I think it must all relate to % bodyfat. There's no way I'm underweight, but I think my hormones prefer a little more gristle than I'm prepared to allow. Having said that, at this lower body weight my boobs no longer swell and get painful. A massive bonus as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see whether my body eventually readjusts to my new set-weight. It's just my moods I want to improve :blink:

• Like 1

Mine was about 20 days late during my W30 and it was always right on schedule. I still had some cramping but my period only lasted about 4 days....it used to go on for 6-8 days! :o If my body follows the 30 day schedule, I should be starting today or tomorrow so we will see how not being on a strict W30 affects me now...

• Like 2

Background - I can't say for certain that I have endometriosis, but in the past, my periods have been extremely heavy and accompanied by significant pain and discomfort. My reproductive endocrinologist "presumptively diagnosed" me with endometriosis - basically, the symptoms and inability to get pregnant pointed in that direction, but there was no need to do the laproscopic surgery to confirm diagnosis because I was going to do IVF, in any event. (That was a few years ago, and after 3 egg retrievals and 4 transfers (3 fresh, 1 frozen/thawed), I had wonderful twin daughters.)

Since W30 - Since my W30 and sticking quite close to W30 rules post-W-30, my periods have been lighter and much less painful. No pain meds, no heating pads, no curling up on the couch!

Good luck to you, Megan. Hopefully you'll experienced decreased pain soon!

• Like 6

Hmmm... thanks all, good food for thought. Day 22 and I feel awful, I was doing well and only just starting to feel like I had some energy and strength, until I got my period. Now I'm back to having no energy, feeling weak and today I'm really bloated and light headed. I've increased my intake of red meats, decreased my nut intake and increased intake of sweet potatoes to one a day. I had my period a couple of weeks before starting W30 and with my medication should not get another period for at least three to four months. So I wasn't expecting a period during the W30. I don't think,my discomfort is due to W30 but due to my condition as no one else seems to have the same difficulties. :wacko: I'm hoping things will get better after period has finished.

My period was a day or so early on Whole30, nothing too shocking. But what really surprised me was that I usually get a lot of soreness and tenderness in my breasts 7-10 days from my period (fibrocystic stuff), and I didn't have a single twinge while on Whole30. That was great.

• Like 3

I am so glad that I found this topic.

This is my first Whole30 and I am on day 15. In the past I have had a long cycle (38-42 days) and today I got my period two weeks early. This came as a surprise but also I have not experienced any bloating or tiredness prior to the start of my period which in the past was always a given.

I have no doubt this change in cycle is due to diet, another indication of the power food has over the body.

• Like 7

I have always had pretty painful periods. I will say my first after starting my whole100 was pain free - I didn't even know I was getting it. since then I have had cramping during ovulation and bloating some cramping for those two weeks until my period. my last period was SUPER long and heavy - I'm normally a 3 day girl, I think it was 6 or 7. I should be getting my period any day and had to go look to see the date because I haven't had any of the bloating I'd had the past 3 or 4 months...so things are probably getting better for me. I've heard it takes about 4 or 5 cycles to notice great changes

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30. Haven't had a period in almost 2 full years (unharmful side effect of my birth control, per my gynecologist)  - guess what re-appeared today?

Does this mean soy is not my friend?  Wondering if it merits not reintroducing soy when I'm done with the Whole30.  (Mostly got soy from my daily soymilk in my morning coffee, which I'm fine with not reintroducing.)

• Like 4

I'm on day 28 of my first Whole30, and my period came today, 2 days early. I was pretty regular before starting the Whole30, but I often had PMS.  No PMS this time. I have been eating more sweet potatoes and beets over the past few days (within the meal template), so the higher carbs in those veggies might have helped dispel the fat and sugar cravings I normally get the day before bleeding starts. I would also feel extremely emotional the day before, but not this time. However, I still have the normal cramps and backache of day 1, unfortunately:-(

I'm actually kind of glad I started early because I was going to delay reintroduction to make sure I could distinguish between menstrual symptoms and bad reactions to reintroduced foods. If this period is short I may start reintroduction of dairy on day 31 after all.

I am only a few days into my whole 30. Never had regular periods because of PCOS but have been having migraines and back pain like I am going to get a period but normally when I have this it doesn't go away for a few weeks and a period never comes. Kind of hoping it will for the first time on its own.

My cycle was on time and as close to normal as its been in about four years. It was so heavy that two years ago I was hospitalized and given two blood transfusions. This past month I had fewer cramps, less bloating and half the flow. That's huge for me. Maybe if it continues, I can come off of the iron supplements. I think the improvement is a combination of no dairy and no SOY!

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

I have had a light period but the endometriosis and inflammation have decreased significantly. 

I am down to 16% body fat which concerns me as a woman--I should be at 23% body fat for my age range according to national health guidelines.

Any food for thought?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Glad to have found this thread. I just finished my Whole 30 and whilst I had my period 2 weeks ago, I'm having another one now. That shouldn't happen, I'm on the pill!  It makes me very regular.

It's a bit strange. I'm hoping that things will even out a bit, but I agree that it's scary what effect food can have on your body.

• Like 2

Hello! Glad to have found this thread. I just finished my Whole 30 and whilst I had my period 2 weeks ago, I'm having another one now. That shouldn't happen, I'm on the pill!  It makes me very regular.

It's a bit strange. I'm hoping that things will even out a bit, but I agree that it's scary what effect food can have on your body.

The exact same thing happened to me during my Whole30 (I'm on bc too), and that "extra" period lasted 18 days! Worst. I went to my doc for some tests and she found nothing wrong. I'm sure it was the diet changes. My next, most recent, period was a bit irregular but nothing compared to that 18-day one. Seems to be evening out now. :)

• Like 3

I was a late ovulator with a short luteal phase prior to whole30.  This cycle during my first whole30, I ovulated on Day 15, had a 13 day LP, and a 28 day cycle!  Incredible!  My whole30 period seems similar, maybe slightly lighter, to my periods before.  I've had somewhat less cramping.  No PMS to speak of.

I have PCOS and have never had regular periods. Since having my two children (who are 2 and 6 mo) I've had one about every two months or so. I'm on day 10 of my whole30 and bam! got my period today on day 24 of my cycle. I did feel slightly bloated yesterday and was wondering if somehow I had eaten something non-compliant by accident. I knew that wasn't possible, but now I know what the cause was. It will be interesting to see what happens from now on.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am on day 30 of Whole30 and my period is 5 days late already....not sure when it will come, but I feel more bloated and have felt for a week now that it will come anyday.  It is quite weird....I was pretty regular before.  I don't think I have lost any weight....must jsut be from the food choices.

I'm on Day 26.  I've been on BC for 13 years (yeah I know... I'm going off it as soon as the hubby gets the vasectomy).

I started spotting about a week earlier than usual, while on the pill... that never happens.  Plus I had horrible cramps.  

This morning I had to drag myself out of bed ...I am so tired. And this is after having tigerblood all last week.  :(