Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Elenianne said:

I just finished my second whole30 and am 4 days late. I had no changes in my cycle when I did my first round in January. The most concerning part is that it doesn't look like I have ovulated this month. I have been charting my temperatures and it looks like my body tried to ovulate 3 times unsuccessfully.  I have never had this happen and have searched all over this forum and have not found much info. It doesn't seem like many people chart, so they might not even notice it if it was happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I am not on birth control and had been eating mostly paleo with some dairy (butter and some cheese) before this whole30, so it doesn't seem like a drastic change. And I only lost 3 lbs, so I don't think it's a low weight. I am definitely not underweight! 

This is kind of putting a damper on my whole 30 experience if I'm honest. 

Sorry this is happening.  The extent of our ability to troubleshoot this would be to say there are hormonal changes that can be expected when you drastically change your diet but you're saying that this isn't a drastic change.  With that in mind, I would suggest a quick trip to your doctor as it may be something going on that is actually unrelated and just coincidental that it's happening during your Whole30.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2017 at 8:18 PM, Elenianne said:

I just finished my second whole30 and am 4 days late. I had no changes in my cycle when I did my first round in January. The most concerning part is that it doesn't look like I have ovulated this month. I have been charting my temperatures and it looks like my body tried to ovulate 3 times unsuccessfully.  I have never had this happen and have searched all over this forum and have not found much info. It doesn't seem like many people chart, so they might not even notice it if it was happening. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I am not on birth control and had been eating mostly paleo with some dairy (butter and some cheese) before this whole30, so it doesn't seem like a drastic change. And I only lost 3 lbs, so I don't think it's a low weight. I am definitely not underweight! 

This is kind of putting a damper on my whole 30 experience if I'm honest. 

I almost always have delayed ovulation if I start a Whole 30 before I ovulate, even if I was following pretty closely prior. I start them after ovulation now! Diet changes can throw the body for a loop... And the body is smart enough not to get pregnant when there are fast changes (think drought, famine back in caveman days), so ovulation can be delayed until it figures out conditions are safe for a possible pregnancy. Make sure you're eating plenty, and getting plenty of fat. Eventually, your body will realize conditions are great for conception and you'll ovulate. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, Kelly J. said:

I am 53 and haven't had a period since May (5 months.) I assumed this was just menopause. Now on R1D7, I just started my period! Could this new way of eating have impacted my hormones this quickly?

I'm not a doctor, but my understanding is that it is not unusual for women who are approaching menopause to sometimes have a period even if it's been a couple of months since they had one, and that you won't be considered post-menopausal until it's been a year since you had one. I do not know if seven days into a whole30 would cause this, it seems a little soon, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. 

If you are ever concerned, you should talk to a doctor, or at least maybe call and talk to a nurse at your doctor's office to see if they think it's something you should be concerned about. They'd be better able to tell you what to expect.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, HMH said:

My cycle was 2 weeks early...

Same! I was literally freaking out bc that never happens but then *lightbulb* let’s check the W30 forum! Seems like the diet change is what’s affecting it. Crazy what just 4 days of eating clean and sugar/dairy free can do to your body...

I'm only 3 days in, however, I'm having a late period. I have an app that said I was supposed to start on the 2nd. I did a 3-day refresh for my body prior to Whole30. And of course, 8 days of no sugars of any sort, still no period. I started worrying today and started looking for a topic. 

I did notice tonight, after my workout and some post-w/o meal/snack, I kept feeling starved which is a typical PMS symptom to eat all the things lol. I obviously didn't (nothing at my house is typical PMS food anyway haha) and went to bed. So glad to find the thread and know it is normal for period issues. 

On 6/21/2013 at 9:25 AM, GFChris said:

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30. Haven't had a period in almost 2 full years (unharmful side effect of my birth control, per my gynecologist)  - guess what re-appeared today?

I know!  I rarely get my period either because of birth control, and on day 7 I started to spot, a week and a half before sugar pills!  Talk about strong hormones!

On 4/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, Runnergirl59 said:

I haven't been able to find anything on this so I'm going to ask here...

I am on the pill and not due for my period for 1 more week. I am R1D8 whole 30 and have been having bleeding for about 5 days. Not really heavy but enough. Could this be due to changes in hormones from whole30? I don't usually bleed between periods. Still been taking my pill. 

The same thing has happened to me with both of my whole30s. I think it's fairly common. 

Thank goodness for this post. I'm doing my first Whole30 and am on Day 16. I am also on birth control, and it is a week prior to when I should be getting my period. Sunday (Day 14) I had terrible backaches, yesterday (Day 15) I got cramps (fairly unusual for me) and started spotting, and am spotting again today. = I have been very irritable and tired yesterday and today as well. 

I'm glad that reading through this thread that it isn't unusual, it is definitely unwelcome though. I was so frustrated this morning that I really just wanted to quit the whole thing. I'm hoping it gets better. 

Bless this topic. My period came a week early this month. It normally lasts max of 3 days because I’m on the pill and I’m still spotting on day 8....AGHHHHH!!! However...when I was on holiday break I was traveling and forgot my pills when I was on the placebo week, and because I was lazy or not thinking much of it (not sexually active), basically had an extra gap week where i started my new pack a week late. Whole30 started around the same time. Trying to decipher if both made this an issue or what....

HI. I'm 46 and I take the pill without using to placebo pill to avoid my periods (per my doctor relating to my hemophilia).  I started spotting and having cramps on my second week.  I stopped the pill this past week and had a full blown period (awful) and am back on the pill today.  I as well hope that this ends that ordeal as it has sucked up my energy and I've felt like crap.  Can't believe it is the whole 30!  We eat at home always and don't consume much sugar.  Was drinking wine and eating too much on occasion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just completed my first whole30 and my experience was nothing like I had hoped for. On Day 8 I started my period and I am also on birth control which keeps me from having monthly cycles. Right around the same time I started having really bad dizzy spells multiple times a day and felt really weak as if I was going to pass out. This continued for 3 weeks along with the bleeding. The bleeding finally stopped on day 30. I reached out to my doctor and he said that because of the bleeding I developed anemia which in return made me dizzy and feeling weak. Because of this I also had a really bad migraine for a week and didn't sleep well for the last 3 weeks. Now that whole30 is over I feel like I failed because of all the issues I had along the way. I read so many articles on how others had great experiences and lot weight and I was so hopeful that was going to be me but it wasn't. Would it be safe to do whole30 again just to see if I can get the benefits it offers? 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, mf1988 said:

I just completed my first whole30 and my experience was nothing like I had hoped for. On Day 8 I started my period and I am also on birth control which keeps me from having monthly cycles. Right around the same time I started having really bad dizzy spells multiple times a day and felt really weak as if I was going to pass out. This continued for 3 weeks along with the bleeding. The bleeding finally stopped on day 30. I reached out to my doctor and he said that because of the bleeding I developed anemia which in return made me dizzy and feeling weak. Because of this I also had a really bad migraine for a week and didn't sleep well for the last 3 weeks. Now that whole30 is over I feel like I failed because of all the issues I had along the way. I read so many articles on how others had great experiences and lot weight and I was so hopeful that was going to be me but it wasn't. Would it be safe to do whole30 again just to see if I can get the benefits it offers? 

There's nothing about eating lots of veggies, protein, and healthy fat that would be unsafe, but what we do see a lot is people not eating enough -- maybe not enough fat or not enough starchy vegetables or just flat out not enough in general. Or we see people not salting their food, so they end up with their electrolytes out of balance,  which can result in tiredness and dizziness. If you do decide to try Whole30 again, I'd  recommend following not just the rules, but the recommendations as well, and hanging out here on the forum to get feedback on your meals early in your 30 days, before you start having major issues.

More on rules vs recommendations:   https://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello All - I'm glad I found this thread!  I just finished the whole 30 on 01/30 and I was expecting my period on that day and nothing.  Waited another day - nothing -- and now today still nothing.  I've taken three pregnancy tests - all negative.  I had a doctor's appointment on Monday (01/29) and believe it or not I failed to mention I was doing the Whole 30 because by then it had been so normal it didn't seem like a big deal and I was expecting my period the next day......well big mistake.  Background - I'm TTC at 39 , Baby #1 took a year and had a miscarriage before and after Baby #1.  I'm slowly reintroducing foods but I've had sensitivity testing and think I'm just going to keep diary out for now - and do paleo as I slowly come off of whole 30.  So now on to my question - I've read that Whole can cause your period to come early or late but I thought it would HELP ovulation and now I'm not even sure if I ovulated - I use OPK - so I did have an LH surge on 01/14.  I'm never late - except baby #1 and MCs.   Could Whole 30 STOP ovulation?  I was hoping this would help my eczema and fertility..... Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Boogie said:

Could Whole 30 STOP ovulation? 

Unless you went particularly low carb & entered ketosis which can *sometimes* effect ovulation (although unlikely in such a short time) I'd say it's unlikely that eating healthy, wholesome, nutritious foods would prevent ovulation. Inflammatory foods, low fat low cal diets & random meal times play havoc with hormones. Whole30 serves to rebalance them. As you'll have seen in this thread & others Whole30 can & often does effect the cycle, but things do fall into place...

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Unless you went particularly low carb & entered ketosis which can *sometimes* effect ovulation (although unlikely in such a short time) I'd say it's unlikely that eating healthy, wholesome, nutritious foods would prevent ovulation. Inflammatory foods, low fat low cal diets & random meal times play havoc with hormones. Whole30 serves to rebalance them. As you'll have seen in this thread & others Whole30 can & often does effect the cycle, but things do fall into place...

Thanks for the response - I did not go low carb and I didn't lose a crazy amount of weight - my clothes fit better but by no means falling off and I felt good.  I was still working out and running...  My eczema did start to clear up but last week it flared again on my hands but I believe that could be more toxins coming out and releasing through the skin.  I'll wait for this darn period to show up and see how I feel.  I think what is throwing me off is that prior to whole30 my cycle was exactly 28 days and I was charting everything - my progesterone did increase mid Whole 30  (Confirmed via blood work)- so as you said the rebalance is just taking it's time.  I'm now wondering if I should not have started the reintroduction of foods --- or if I should restart whole 30 since I haven't got m period.  What do you think?

3 minutes ago, Boogie said:

I'm now wondering if I should not have started the reintroduction of foods --- or if I should restart whole 30 since I haven't got m period.  What do you think?

I think that provided you do the reintroductions as written, develop a food plan that works for you whilst sticking to the three template meals, and you don't go back to eating foods that cause you issue, that your hormones should continue to rebalance. The reintroduction phase is as important, if not more so than your 30 days.

Good luck with TTC - I know what a minefield it can be.... 

Just wanted to provide an update.  My period did finally show up - 4 days late and everything seems normal since.  I went to see my Naturopath and she reiterated what JMCBN said (exactly :)) -- so now back to TTC...  The food reintroduction is slow but I'm moving along. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2013 at 9:25 AM, GFChris said:

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole30. Haven't had a period in almost 2 full years (unharmful side effect of my birth control, per my gynecologist)  - guess what re-appeared today?

Does this mean soy is not my friend?  Wondering if it merits not reintroducing soy when I'm done with the Whole30.  (Mostly got soy from my daily soymilk in my morning coffee, which I'm fine with not reintroducing.)

I realize I am responding to an older post but I also have not had a period in over 2 years due to IUD and had some spotting a few days starting on whole 30, which I haven't seen in ages.   Just searched on the forums and saw this topic.  Glad I am not only one and hope that means it is not too abnormal a reaction.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I have been having long cycles for the past 6 months, they range anywhere from 36-44 days. I'm currently on day 42. I decided to give Whole 30 a try because I wanted to see if I cleaned up my diet, if my cycles would shorten. I'm currently on Day 4 of W30 and feeling good! The sugar dragon pops up at night, but I LOVE not being able to feed it. Not having a choice makes it so easy to not indulge.

Looking forward to hearing about your cycles on W30. Anyone had their cycles shortened by eating for W30?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been irregular for a couple of years now and this time was the worse, I'm in the process of going to see a gyno but I didn' have my period for 4 months untill I started whole 30 and got my period on day 6.. heavy and feel weak. Anyone else had that?