Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Dj_tasha said:

I have been irregular for a couple of years now and this time was the worse, I'm in the process of going to see a gyno but I didn' have my period for 4 months untill I started whole 30 and got my period on day 6.. heavy and feel weak. Anyone else had that?

Do you know why you didn't have your period for 4 months? How different is Whole30 from how you were eating before? There is definitely a hormonal adjustment that comes w/ Whole30 which can result in early, late, second, heavy, light, crampy, flowy periods. Basically it can shake things up in Uterusville for a while. 

• 1 month later...

Hi- hoping for some advise here. I’m on R1 day 18. I’m on birth control (Nuvaring) and I’ve had my period and it ended about a week and a half ago. The last 2 days I’ve been spotting, and today it seems a little bit heavier than just spotting and I’ve had minor cramps. I also had a nose bleed for about 10 mins. I feel great otherwise. I’m not sure if I’m just overthinking it, but has anyone else ever expierenced this? 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Tpeden37 said:

Hi- hoping for some advise here. I’m on R1 day 18. I’m on birth control (Nuvaring) and I’ve had my period and it ended about a week and a half ago. The last 2 days I’ve been spotting, and today it seems a little bit heavier than just spotting and I’ve had minor cramps. I also had a nose bleed for about 10 mins. I feel great otherwise. I’m not sure if I’m just overthinking it, but has anyone else ever expierenced this? 

Have you read through the 11 pages of this thread?  Spotting and cramps and even breakthrough bleeding are a common side effect of hormonal changes in women.  Not sure about the nose bleed tho... is it especially dry where you are?  I know it's killer allergy season so maybe that has something to do with it.

Im on day 5 of whole 30 and still feeling really bloated and water retention, is this normal.  I have been sticking with the rules but feel like I'm putting on weight because I'm eating my meals but my body really isn't hungry.  Anyone have any feedback for me?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Kelle said:

Im on day 5 of whole 30 and still feeling really bloated and water retention, is this normal.  I have been sticking with the rules but feel like I'm putting on weight because I'm eating my meals but my body really isn't hungry.  Anyone have any feedback for me?

Bloating and other symptoms are pretty common in the first week or so, especially if this is a pretty big change from how you ate before. If you hang in there, it'll probably get better in a few days. 

If you're eating a lot of nuts, cut back on those (try to have not more than a closed handful every other day or so). If you're eating a lot of raw vegetables, try cooking them for a few days, or if you're eating a lot of cruciferous vegetables (like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower), maybe cut back on those and eat some different vegetables for a while. Also be sure you're drinking plenty of water, aiming for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person needs at least 60 oz a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Since starting Whole30, I'm on R1 Day 29 (almost there!), I've spotted for several days before actually beginning my period. I already hated the birth control pill I was on and went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago to get on a different brand of pill. I've got my new prescription ready to start in about a week. The spotting is pretty bad and really took me by surprise on my last period. I thought it was an isolated incident but now that it's happening again I'm starting to realize the changes may have to do with Whole30 and hormone regulation. I feel like I was a little slow to connect the dots :) .  I'm hoping with the new pill prescription and the reintroduction phase that my hormones will find a happy balance and my period will go back to a normal schedule. *Fingers crossed*. 

• 9 months later...

I did the Whole30 starting February 1. I had my normal February period the 6th through the 12th. I’m on the pill and take it fairly regularly and on time. Then I had another period starting on the 22nd that has not stopped yet, meaning I’m on day 23 of this random period. Thoughts anyone? I’m assuming it’s from the Whole30 diet change. We did the reintroduction and are really still eating relatively similarly, but I’m not sure when this period will end or when I should be concerned.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mmilliken17 said:

I did the Whole30 starting February 1. I had my normal February period the 6th through the 12th. I’m on the pill and take it fairly regularly and on time. Then I had another period starting on the 22nd that has not stopped yet, meaning I’m on day 23 of this random period. Thoughts anyone? I’m assuming it’s from the Whole30 diet change. We did the reintroduction and are really still eating relatively similarly, but I’m not sure when this period will end or when I should be concerned.

I would probably at least check in with your doctor and let them know what's going on, just in case, and see if it's something they feel you should be concerned about or if there's a length of time when they'd start to be concerned.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm on Day 3 of W30. I haven't had my period in over a year following an IUD placement and today it re-started. I've also noticed a major increase in acne around my forehead, cheeks, and chin in past 48 hours.

I've read a lot of people attribute this to increase in nut intake;  however I've only had one larabar since starting and no other nuts/nut based foods. Does anyone have any experience with such a rapid change or advice on how to best handle it? 

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, HPTB said:

Hi all,

I'm on Day 3 of W30. I haven't had my period in over a year following an IUD placement and today it re-started. I've also noticed a major increase in acne around my forehead, cheeks, and chin in past 48 hours.

I've read a lot of people attribute this to increase in nut intake;  however I've only had one larabar since starting and no other nuts/nut based foods. Does anyone have any experience with such a rapid change or advice on how to best handle it? 

Thanks in advance!

There's a lot of hormone changes that can go on when you remove inflammatory foods and other disruptors from your system and those changes to your hormones can start quite quickly.  You can google 'whole30 changes in hormones' and you should get some results on the forum and if I recall there's an article or two about it but things should level out as you go.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just thought I would share some thoughts.

If you get an "extra" period or bleeding due to Whole30 diet changes and it's something out of the norm (has never happened before, if it has could be other variables) and you think the correlation is there. Look at and start recording your Iron intake. Lots of whole grains are fortified with iron cereals, bread, etc. Switching to no grains among other things takes away those supplements your body is used to. Most women ALREADY don't get enough iron in their diet. I'm not a nutritionist and would recommend talking to your doctor before changing your diet but I (before Whole30 even) add Iron supplements to my diet and have a better period for it. The supplements are a little extreme (high doses of iron and these are over the counter) so I only take one or two a week but look into it yourself and decide what's best for you! Hope it helps someone :D 

• 4 months later...

I am on my first round day 23.  I started spotting a week before I am supposed to start my period.  I am worried I might be pregnant because my periods are always right on schedule.  Do you think the spotting could be due to a change in my diet?

• Moderators
16 hours ago, KWI said:

Do you think the spotting could be due to a change in my diet?

Yes, often times changes in our diets lead to changes in hormones which can lead to irregularity of our cycles.  There are LOADS of discussion in this Ladies Only forum about this - if you're worried, obviously go to the doctor or do a pregnancy test but it's quite likely that this is from the change in your diet.

• 1 year later...

Relieved to see this isn't just my question! I've always been on time and am on day twenty of my first Whole30. I did 14 days and messed up for three days and then began again for background. My period was almost three weeks late and now I'm on about week three of the neverending period! No other symptoms pertaining to this oddity. I see diet really does play a role on all the things!!!!

• 2 months later...

I am on day 8 of whole 30 and I am started my period and had to go to bed, cramping was so severe. I had this in high school but not in over a decade. Praying it’s my uterus cleansing and strengthening but also wondering about the animal protein intake. 

• 7 months later...