Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

Very upset today. Had my period unexpectedly on Jan 7, day 2 of whole 30, and it started again today, day 26. I hate this time of the month when it comes once a month. If this is how my body repsonds to being "healthy" - no thanks!

I'm taking an advil and I dont care what the inactive ingredients are!

We did a Whole30 in January and I had a pretty miserable period from the fourth to the ninth. I started my period again on the 30th (weird for me as I usually have 30 day cycles). Then we took a few days off, I ate way too much sugar, and so we started another Whole30 on the third. I'm still on my freaking period. Day nine. My long cycles are six days. This is getting crazy.

I'm hoping if I just keep eating Whole30 compliant it will all even out, but this is miserable. I get cramps, exhaustion, and really awful depression before and during menstruation, so it's been a rough month.

Hello! Glad to have found this thread. I just finished my Whole 30 and whilst I had my period 2 weeks ago, I'm having another one now. That shouldn't happen, I'm on the pill!  It makes me very regular.

It's a bit strange. I'm hoping that things will even out a bit, but I agree that it's scary what effect food can have on your body.

When I reduced my caffeine intake, my cycle went from consistent to 17 days for two months in a row.  Freaked me out a bit and I googled and searched the forums and then decided it must be related to the most obvious change in my life (reduced caffeine on top of fairly clean eating).  Surprising that it can make such a difference.  Nice to know it happens to others as well!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Day 5 of my first whole 30 and I am currently on birth control, but when I went to the bathroom this afternoon I had some dark discharge along with minimal cramping (the kind you get when you know that your period is on its way).  I am about 2 weeks away from getting my "scheduled" period and I was wondering if this is a common occurrence even when you are on bc.

Very upset today. Had my period unexpectedly on Jan 7, day 2 of whole 30, and it started again today, day 26. I hate this time of the month when it comes once a month. If this is how my body repsonds to being "healthy" - no thanks!

I'm taking an advil and I dont care what the inactive ingredients are!

KT I had the same thoughts.. I had two periods 11 days apart... This most recent one was full of cramps like I haven't cramped in years... Still spotting today, Day 30... UGH.. Its interesting to see how my body responds to healthy... Esp considering my acne has even gotten worst with this period as well... I felt like I hit a wall, energy drain and all.. Totally killed my Tigers Blood which was very disappointing! 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is very weird.  I am in perimenopause and have not had my period for 9 months.  I am on day 14 and on Day 12, I got my period.  It is lighter than what I had been experiencing and at first I thought maybe it was just spotting, but nope, definitely, menstrating.

I am pretty disappointed since I now have to start over with my 12 months of not menstrating. B) Has this happened to anyone else?

i'm on an oral birth control pill. What do I do if I started my period a week early? Do I continue taking my pill like I usually do? I've been very regular while on the pill. I'm on Day 12 of W30. any thoughts? Why did this happen?

The exact same thing happened to me so I just threw away the rest of the pack and will just see how it goes...

Per my nurse practitioner she recommended to CONTINUE the pack until I was finished and start a new pack as usual. She said my period may stop or may continue when I was "suppose" to start. The birth control itself is still effective.

I followed her recommendations and when I was suppose to start, I had a very very light period that last a couple days. I'm hoping next month my body will adjust to the new eating habits :-)

• Like 2

Whether you're on the pill or not, your period is triggered by a drop in hormones, specifically progesterone. When you stop taking the pill, the body senses the drop and your period begins. However, if there's something that causes your own hormones to shift - because they're still there in the background despite being on the pill - your body will think it's a sign to start bleeding. Typically, once the initial shift has passed, your body has a new normal level to base a drop in hormones and your eventual period on.

• Like 1

Mine was also 5 days late and has been going on for almost 2 weeks.  I'm so happy to hear this has happened to other people.  I had more cravings than I expected but I wonder how my whole30 would've gone without pms.  I'm going to do another whole30 in a week and I'm curious to see if my body will be more regulated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my first W30 - day 23:) loving how I'm feeling! I've lost a lot of water weight and don't feel so inflamed! I did start my menstrual cycle 2x this month...16 days a part, but less cramping and bloating! I did struggle with some cravings yesterday and then after I started my period today it made sense! I usually gain 5lbs during my cycles and that hasn't happened this month:) I can tell because my jeans are comfy!! Thanks for sharing! Wondering now what to reintroduce?!

I'm with you guys. I used to get my period every 2 months, but don't have PCOS or anything else. My period was so intermittent, that even at 27 years old, I couldn't tell you how many days my cycle is. However, I got my period on day 9 or 10, and as of day 25 it's STILL going. It's so light that I hardly even need sanitary things (sorry if thats TMI). I'm glad to hear that it's at least semi-common on the Whole30. I figured it was because of the dietary change, what with the hormone fluctuations. I'm going to do a little more research now, so I can see exactly what's going on. 

Thanks, Karen for your responses!

The exact same thing happened to me during my Whole30 (I'm on bc too), and that "extra" period lasted 18 days! Worst. I went to my doc for some tests and she found nothing wrong. I'm sure it was the diet changes. My next, most recent, period was a bit irregular but nothing compared to that 18-day one. Seems to be evening out now. :)

This was good to hear! I'm on BC and my period started a week early. I read around and found out this wasn't unusual but now a week later it is still going strong. I think I had a day or two of feeling good after I got over my stomach distress and sleeping issues from the Whole 30 and then my period snuck up early and has been knocking me out! So much for the Tiger Blood but I'm on day 24 and still feeling good about what I am accomplishing. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm having the opposite issue: My periods were becoming closer together for the past year. I had a period on Feb. 17 which was the same day when I started my first whole30. I had another one on Day 22 ( i believe) during thwe same round.I still haven't had a period for nearly a month which is unusual for me to say the least. I'm definitely not pregnant, but maybe my initial whole30 fixed my hormonal problems.

I am on day 20 of my first Whole30 and my period has been so so so heavy this time around, not sure why. I can only think it is because of the Whole30 but it seems everyone else says theirs has decreased in pain. Can someone let me know if they are in the same situation at all?

I knew food could affect my hormones! I've tried to do research in the past to find foods i could eat to boost my levels. I'm an endurance athlete and I've been on BC until about June last year. I ended up with some bad poison ivy and in that whole processes forgot to start my new pack of pills. I decided to go back on them when my next period came.

Well, I kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

In October I got my levels checked and my hormone levels were basically like post menopausal low. (I'm 29). I did a dose of progesterone to try to get my period to start. No dice.

In December my period finally started. I had cut back exercise around mid November and gained 10 lbs. I wasn't below 18% body fat before losing my period. I got my levels retested and they were back to normal ranges.

Then I started working out again at a low level (9-12 hours a week versus 18-25 hours a week I'd been doing into October). And in January, no period. Still wasn't down in weight.

I saw an endocrinologist in December and she said I was classic workout + weight loss = no period and if I lost it again i'd have to be on BC to reduce the damage to my bones and lining, etc. I'm really kind of doubtful that this was the cause. I felt like something wasn't right in my body (Part of the reason I'm doing the whole30!!)

So I went back on it in February. I'm not thrilled about this.

I'm debating trying to come off of it in May once I'm through my next major competition. Any advice or suggestions? I figure that I should see if my body likes this way of eating and I can keep my period and not be on BC. I'm not sexually active so it's not a big deal for me to not be on some kind of BC.

I'm glad I found this thread! At Day 7, I started getting cramps, and by today, day 9, I had started my period. However, I am nowhere near when it should actually happen. I take a seasonal bc pill, so I only get it every 3 months. However, it's regular at that time. I'm right in the middle of a pill pack, and am about 6 weeks out from when I should be getting my period. I did a little research, and it seems like the lack of soy could be causing this. Does anyone have insight?

You start bleeding when your hormones drop.  For example, when you stop taking the pill, that's a drop in hormones, and a few days later, voila, there's your period.  Changing your diet - adding more fat, having a better ratio of carbs/fat/protein, eating less processed food - whether it's Whole30 or not - can have the same effect.  Even though you're on the pill, your body is still making hormones.  As hormones adjust, they can rise and fall, triggering a bleed.  Some people can pinpoint a certain food group or beverage, but for many, it's the overall effect.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I am on day 20 of my first Whole30 and my period has been so so so heavy this time around, not sure why. I can only think it is because of the Whole30 but it seems everyone else says theirs has decreased in pain. Can someone let me know if they are in the same situation at all?

I am there with you. I started spotting 7 days before my period was due, and then it slowly got heavier. Then last night it was like the floodgates disappeared and it was insanely heavy with the wort cramps I have had since I was a teenager. 

I get that you start your cycle when your hormone levels drop, but which foods are we eliminating that are making this happen? I wish Melissa were to chime in on this. It's scary to bleed through an entire pad in 6 hours, when it takes 10 hours normally!