Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

Mine's also been weird - on day 6 of the whole30 my period started out of the blue with zero cramping and a few days early. I'm now on whole30 day 22/CD16 and again it showed up out of the blue this afternoon! Noooo! No cramping which is awesome, but no no no to a 16 day cycle, yikes! I'm not on any BC and have been having shortish cycles, but nothing like this!

Xine23 it's not necessarily a specific food that you're eliminating, it's a combination of the ratio of carbs/protein/fat, eating good, nutritious food, and eliminating the foods that your particular body doesn't like. A few years ago I didn't eliminate any foods but instead just changed the ratio of what I was eating and my period came way early. Hormones are influenced by so many things.

• 2 weeks later...

I am there with you. I started spotting 7 days before my period was due, and then it slowly got heavier. Then last night it was like the floodgates disappeared and it was insanely heavy with the wort cramps I have had since I was a teenager. 

I get that you start your cycle when your hormone levels drop, but which foods are we eliminating that are making this happen? I wish Melissa were to chime in on this. It's scary to bleed through an entire pad in 6 hours, when it takes 10 hours normally! 

Contrary to what everyone says, my period is the WORST! I am on the 3rd day of my cycle and 18th day of the program. I have never been in so much pain, it's almost unbearable!   :(

Mine came a week early, on day 7 of my whole30. I normally have a couple days of cramping and tummy issues before my period. This period was crazy I started cramping and then I got my period an hour later. I normally have huge sugar cravings and have to have peanut m&ms very night I have not had those cravings while on whole30. I'm on day 10 now and loving whole30.

I'm just here to complain. My period—which is normally like clockwork, down to the time of day—is 12 days late.

Based on where I was in my cycle when I started this round of Whole30 (and how carb-heavy and sugar-laden my diet had become), I'm guessing my body interpreted the food changeover as stress, and I didn't ovulate as usual. I had a negative pregnancy test last week. It's very unlikely that I'm pregnant, but if I hit the two-weeks-late milestone, I might have to test again.

I have found this thread - and the information in it very informative!  I had just posted on my log how my tiger blood has gone away - I took a 3 hour nap this afternoon, and my workout had no energy. 

I have never been regular, and my periods were so heavy (going though a maxi pad and a super tampon in less than an hour) that I had a uterine ablation several years ago (the best thing I ever did for myself....  with the exception of w30 of course).  Between the ablation (no bleeding) and all the GI problems I had from my diet, I was rarely sure if I was on my period or not.  (ie - is the bloating and feeling bad period related or food related). 

I am fairly certain I had my period the first week of w30.  I am now on my last week, and am wondering if my lack of energy could be from an early period...  I would certainly answer my questions of "what am I doing wrong" :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ladies,

I'm starting a "Whole45" from tomorrow until my wedding day November 22 and I just WISH I KNEW KNOW what affect this is going to have on my cycle.... because I am currently "on schedule" to start a period the day before my wedding and I reeeeeaaalllly prefer that not happen.  (Here it might bear mentioning that my fiance and I are celibate for religious reasons, so the wedding night will be our first together... yeah.)

In fact until I read this and similar stuff out there I had considered going on hormonal BC just for a couple of weeks to throw it "off."  But it seems like I might be throwing it "off" anyway by cutting the sugar and such... so.... probably not worth it.  We had planned to avoid hormones for other reasons.

So.  Crystal balls, anyone?  I'm 44, maybe 10-15 pounds over my healthy weight, and generally have regular-but-light periods.  This year, ONE cycle was delayed about 9 days during a high-stress period in my life.  I'm back on track, ovulating today or tomorrow (per my normal observations), and ate my last chocolate-chip cookie until the wedding four hours ago.

In the absence of a crystal ball, hand-patting is also fine.  I'm marrying the right man, so getting my period on my wedding would not be the WORST thing that could happen.

Sigh.

~c

Hi Ladies,

I'm starting a "Whole45" from tomorrow until my wedding day November 22 and I just WISH I KNEW KNOW what affect this is going to have on my cycle.... because I am currently "on schedule" to start a period the day before my wedding and I reeeeeaaalllly prefer that not happen.  (Here it might bear mentioning that my fiance and I are celibate for religious reasons, so the wedding night will be our first together... yeah.)

In fact until I read this and similar stuff out there I had considered going on hormonal BC just for a couple of weeks to throw it "off."  But it seems like I might be throwing it "off" anyway by cutting the sugar and such... so.... probably not worth it.  We had planned to avoid hormones for other reasons.

So.  Crystal balls, anyone?  I'm 44, maybe 10-15 pounds over my healthy weight, and generally have regular-but-light periods.  This year, ONE cycle was delayed about 9 days during a high-stress period in my life.  I'm back on track, ovulating today or tomorrow (per my normal observations), and ate my last chocolate-chip cookie until the wedding four hours ago.

In the absence of a crystal ball, hand-patting is also fine.  I'm marrying the right man, so getting my period on my wedding would not be the WORST thing that could happen.

Sigh.

~c

Unfortunately this is something really hard to predict. Everyone's body and context is different. I totally feel for you. I got married before I started my real food journey and we had planned to go on the pill anyway and I made sure to start it in such a way that we wouldn't have to worry about such things during the honeymoon. I will also say that eating Whole30/Paleo style the majority of the time is the only thing other than the pill that has made my cycle regular.

All that said...I would strongly advise not doing Whole30 all the way up to your wedding day but taking some time before the wedding to reintroduce the things you will be encountered with during your reception. I would hate for you to either not to enjoy your reception by avoiding foods or feel awful during/after because you introduced everything at once. Do the 30 days and then spend the next 15 deciding what will be worth it.

Thanks for your reply, and for the suggestion about days 31-44.  I don't remember feeling particularly sick from anything after my other Whole30's, but then again I never used Day 31 as an opportunity to binge either.  Given what I'll be eating at the reception, some bread-type stuff the week before might be smart just in case.

As for whether to take BC just to re-schedule my period, well, I'll see how October goes.  If I'm still "on track" for November 21/22 then I'll consider it.

Thanks for your reply, and for the suggestion about days 31-44.  I don't remember feeling particularly sick from anything after my other Whole30's, but then again I never used Day 31 as an opportunity to binge either.  Given what I'll be eating at the reception, some bread-type stuff the week before might be smart just in case.

As for whether to take BC just to re-schedule my period, well, I'll see how October goes.  If I'm still "on track" for November 21/22 then I'll consider it.

Oh I missed the part about this not being your first Whole30. I didn't do formal reintroductions after my 2nd one, but I also didn't go to a big party in my honor either. Did your other Whole30s mess with your cycle?

As for the BC it is a tough call. What I didn't say in my post is knowing what I know now I wish I hadn't done it, but I know plenty of people are fine with it. So hard to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

After reading through these posts, I want to share my story in case someone else has the same issues.

Three years ago I quit all processed foods and started running like a crazy person (this was not Whole 30 or Paleo, this was "I wanted to lose weight fast").  I lost 30 pounds but I started bleeding when I ovulated and then two weeks later would bleed again with my period.  At the height of my weight loss and activity, I started bleeding everyday.  My longest stretch was 33 days in a row.

I was poked, prodded, examined, given the pill, etc. 

The end result: I was told that estrogen is stored in fat.  If you lose a lot of fat quickly, that estrogen needs to go somewhere and often sparks irregular cycles. 

It took about 6 months for things to calm down.   

-at the time I was eating a ton of soy products so I know (now) that didn't help either.

thank you for posting this.

my cycle for this whole 30 has been a nightmare. It typically takes 2 bc's to control my cycle; between hemorrhaging like flows, body aches, uncontrollable mood swings, migraines, the bottomless stomach, bad reactions to bc's and absolute unpredictability, my doctor and i finally got things under control a few years ago. however, this month i feel like my body is behaving like it did before bc. my moods have been up, down and sideways, my body hurts (cycle specific pains) and my flow is intense.

I think I have definitely lost weight in the last few weeks because i had to pull out my smaller size pants that definitely didn't fit, and my point is, if what you were told about fat holding onto estrogen is even slightly true for me, it  definitely puts my mind a little at ease and helps me worry less about the possibility that i may have broken the balance bc has given to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I saw this topic. I'm on day 15th of my whole 30. I have crohn's disease and fibromyalgia which is why I didn't idea to do this but with in day 2 I got my period and continue to spot ever since. It doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I take birth control that supposed to only give me my period every 3 months and it is 3 months early. What is happening???

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this feed. 

I just started my period, on time, for the first time in months. 

Some background: I was put on meds last year for anxiety/OCD. Just a few months ago I thought I was pregnant and therefore stopped taking said meds & BC immediately. Upon four official "no" pregnancy tests I decided it may have been the meds they had placed me on and did some research that showed that was a side effect. My OB also thought it could be the issue. As I had already been off the pills for a week I decided to stay off. The withdrawals were horrible, however after I was off of them my period started coming back, but late every month and super heavy for like a day and then it was over. 

It starting on time is a surprise. And crazy. But, I am on Day 9 of my Whole30. I also feel less bloated, my cramps are significantly less painful than any in the past, and I am just spotting. 

Maybe it is a result of a better diet. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I started the Whole30 on January 1st. :)  It is my second one and the first one had no effect on my menstrual cycle.  I started three days into this Whole30 and that puts me at about 3 weeks early. Should I be worried?  I see some people talking about late periods, but not early and certainly not this early.  

Are you on hormonal birth control, or not?  My observation is that those on the pill often have their periods early, while those not on the pill often end up late due to delayed ovulation.  However, that's not always the case.  

• Administrators

So, I started the Whole30 on January 1st. :)  It is my second one and the first one had no effect on my menstrual cycle.  I started three days into this Whole30 and that puts me at about 3 weeks early. Should I be worried?  I see some people talking about late periods, but not early and certainly not this early.

Three weeks early as in, on the heels of your last period? Or is it around ovulation and could be middleschmertz? Possible also that although you didn't notice any change on your first Whol30, you've started this one at a different stage of your cycle and as such a change in your hormones due to intake shift has caused some spotting?

As always, we are not doctors or medically trained so if you are worried about it, by all means, see your doctor.

I started my 2nd Whole 30 on the 2nd. Today my period started and it’s pretty heavy which is not normally the case. I am on the pill and I usually have very light flows.

During my 1st Whole 30 I got my period 2 weeks early and it wasn't fun. Those 2 weeks turned into 3 weeks when my period was actually due. 

I don't take any other meds. I'm not that worried it’s just rather annoying. 

I'm 10 days into my first whole30 and my clockwork like cycle came 4 days early. That never happens to me. I think it was the shock of detoxing from sugar and carbs. Glad I found this thread because I was curious if anyone else had this experience.

Hi, all

So I started my whole30 on jan 5.  I am on, and have been on BC, since dawn of time (ok, since I was a  teenager and I am now 31) and for the past 2 to 3 years on minastrin 24 FE.  anyway, period is like clockwork, but I woke up saturday morning with bleeding, which puts it about 10 days early.  I am happy to see that I am not the only one.  I don't know if  the whole30 has anything to do with these fluctuations but reading your posts make me feel much better.  I did call doc but she wasn't there.  waiting to hear back.  I know we are supposed to hide our scales but in the past week, I am down about 6 pounds, so I don't know if this drastic change really does cause fluctuations with hormones.  

anyway, just wanted to share.  I have been a bit nervous about it the past  couple days.  And now, I don't really know if I should expect it when it normally comes (inactive pills)

ugh, woman issues.