Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

I'm not on BC and my period was about a week late. My husband had a vasectomy about 4 years ago but I was starting to think one may have snuck through lol. I started my whole30 pretty close to when I would have gotten my period normally so maybe that's why it was late? I also read somewhere that estrogen is stored in fat cells and is released when you lose weight, maybe this has something to do with it too.

I think it is interesting how women on BC tend to have their periods early and those who are not are having them late.  I understand being late; the dietary change could be perceived as stress and delay ovulation.  I don't really get why things would come early if you are on BC, but I'm not on BC.

My husband and I are TTC and so I've been charting.  This month has certainly been a little different.  My low temps were not as low and today I had the highest temp I've had since I have tracked my temps.  I also didn't have any breast tenderness this month, which is actually what caused me to start poking around and find that lump/cyst/whatever it is.  

I'm glad I read this thread though, because I am due to start my next cycle any day now and from the sound of things I'll probably be late.  Now I know I shouldn't get too excited about it. 

BC holds hormones steady and doesn't allow for the hormonal fluctuations that prompt ovulation. When you stop taking the pills, the drop in hormones triggers menstruation like it does for those not on bc. However, when you adjust your eating, your body's own hormones can fluctuate, and anything considered a drop will cause bleeding.

• Like 1

BC holds hormones steady and doesn't allow for the hormonal fluctuations that prompt ovulation. When you stop taking the pills, the drop in hormones triggers menstruation like it does for those not on bc. However, when you adjust your eating, your body's own hormones can fluctuate, and anything considered a drop will cause bleeding.

Ah, ok, I get it now. Thanks!

• Administrators

Great explanation, Karen!

I have noticed that last year doing paleo and whole30 my cycle changed from 28 days to 25 days.

Late last year and this year they have changed to even shorter 22 days. I just turned 30. I hope it's normal.

Anyone else have this change.

This is my first Whole30 and my first post here...

I finished my period about a week before starting the Whole30 (I finished on 12/31/14 and began W30 on 1/7/15). Four days later, I had acne breakouts and began spotting. This lasted about 3 days with increasing symptoms of joint aches, etc, then on day 4 (day 8 of W30) I had a full flow which tapered off in about 2 days. I'm no on day 22 of W30 and still am having spotting sporadically at least every other day. This has never happened to me before. I'm usually fairly regular, heavy, and crampy. This time there has been no cramps and it is so light, I'm not even sure if its a period. I'm totally confused.

I've read some of the posts about hormone changes during W30, etc. But those have sounded like "normal" periods just coming early or late... This just feels like a chronic almost period...

I've also noticed that my bowel movements, though regular, are still difficult to pass and are more like floating pellets than the healthy "S" shape log they are supposed to be. (So sorry for the TMI descriptions :( ).

Am I doing something wrong? I've been complaint through the whole program, and actually have really enjoyed learning how to cook/put healthy meals together!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Honestly, I'm a little freaked out/discouraged with this problem at this point.

Thanks! 

-a

• Administrators

I had a weird long stint of light spotting this Whole30 also.  I think sometimes it has to do with where in your cycle you start.  I started Whole30 on the second day of my period, went as per normal for the week and then pretty much spotted and bled for the whole next week.  My period is due to start on Feb 1st and I have some of the normal "pre" symptoms (boobs, softness around the middle) but no severe cravings, no headache, no moodiness.  

It's all about the hormones rebalancing.  Do see your doctor if you feel that your spotting is cause for concern though as no one here is a medical professional.

As far as your pooping it could be a simple answer of tweaking what you're eating.  Post a couple days of food including quantities eaten, fluids, exercise, sleep and stress and let's see if there is anything that stands out.

• Like 1

Yowza!  Glad I found this thread today.  This is my 2nd Whole30, but I basically had to restart after the last week due to mistaking my favorite bacon for another version.  I was planning on going out to 60 days anyway.  My period did the same strange thing (or should I say normal now?) that mostly everyone else's did.  However, I cramped like crazy this morning! I haven't had any major cramping since I was a teen and this completely through me off guard.  I also have varicose veins that normally throb about 1 or 2 days during my period.  There's been no change in the vein situation, but I did have a couple of bananas at the advice of my daughter, who normally goes through severe cramping during hers.  

• Administrators

Does anyone know what the long term effects of the W30 way of eating is on periods? Does it all even out to a regular cycle over time?

Mine are definitely levelling out. It's taken a few months of consistent Whole30 eating. I wouldn't say I have an easy time yet but I no longer have estrogen-drop menstrual migraines every month and my cramps and bleeding are manageable whereas I used to not be able to leave the house for 2 days.

• Like 3

It would be great if I get this side effect too! I could do without my monthly migraine  :)

Mine are definitely levelling out. It's taken a few months of consistent Whole30 eating. I wouldn't say I have an easy time yet but I no longer have estrogen-drop menstrual migraines every month and my cramps and bleeding are manageable whereas I used to not be able to leave the house for 2 days.

So glad I found this today! I'm on the pill and have been for years and like clockwork, get my period 3 days after I take the last one. I got mine yesterday which is the day after I took my last pill, and have had awful cramps all day today. I was thinking it had to be something with the food changes I've been doing … currently finishing up Day 14. Thankfully, it sounds like what is going on IS related to the decrease of hormone-infested food I used to eat! 

I came here this morning looking for just this topic...I'm on day 4, and have been on HBC and totally so regular you could set your watch by my cycle for years.  I'm not due for a week but have started spotting this morning.  I assume it's got to do with hormonal changes.

Glad to see it's not totally abnormal.  :)

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having on average 35 day cycles and I'm on day 12 of my first whole 30. I started yesterday which was about 5 days early. I'm wondering if it has to do with the diet changes. One of the big reasons I wanted to do the w30 was because we have been ttc for almost 2 yrs now and I've been having other thyroid like issues, so it would be great if this balances out my hormones and is what we needed to be able to conceive. I was just shocked that I got it early.

Does anyone have experience with sticking close to the whole 30 program and regulating their period. I am on day 30 of whole 30 (yay!) and I have had my period 2x since I started. I am on the nuva ring and my period is normally very regulated. After I started the whole30 program, I got my period 4 days early and then again 16days early. Along with having my period 2x in the last 30 day; I have also been extremely cranky. I'm still spotting and It's very frustrating. I plan to stick close to the whole30 program, beans do not affect my diet and I hope to be able to enjoy a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate too. Any advice? I thought the hard part of doing this would be the gluten free and dairy free aspects, these are a breeze compared to my frustrations with my period and my mood.

• Administrators

Does anyone have experience with sticking close to the whole 30 program and regulating their period. I am on day 30 of whole 30 (yay!) and I have had my period 2x since I started. I am on the nuva ring and my period is normally very regulated. After I started the whole30 program, I got my period 4 days early and then again 16days early. Along with having my period 2x in the last 30 day; I have also been extremely cranky. I'm still spotting and It's very frustrating. I plan to stick close to the whole30 program, beans do not affect my diet and I hope to be able to enjoy a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate too. Any advice? I thought the hard part of doing this would be the gluten free and dairy free aspects, these are a breeze compared to my frustrations with my period and my mood.

Absolutely. Usually the wacky period during or shortly after your Whole30 is a result of your hormones rebalancing. There are many cases of women, myself included, who, by sticking very close to Whole30, have regulated various issues. For me I have no more mentrual migraines, no more mid month spotting (used to be equivilant to a second 2-3 day period) no more wicked cramps. And I'm extremely regular. :)

• Like 1

Hi Ladyshanny,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm hoping that it will all even out. It's not fun having to worry about my period when I didn't have any bad symptoms from it before the whole30. It's not hard for me to stick close to the whole30 so hopefully with continued dedication I will be having better results like you! It feels so amazing to have great energy, skin and weight loss is pretty nice too!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

For those on BC, were you wary that it may not be as effective during the whole30? I'm on Day 5 and I started spotting yesterday and I'm just wondering if my fiance and I should be taking extra precautions. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Mine period is already 6 days late,but I havet found a little bit of blood this morning. I am a little scared. What is happening? This is my week two.

If you are concerned, always check with your doctor, no one here is a medical professional and all comments are opinions and personal experience. That said, there is never going to be anything wrong with eating protein, vegetables and fat. It's how our bodies are designed to function. If you came from something dramatically different than the Whole30, your hormones likely have some rebalancing to do and part of that rebalancing can include delayed or irregular periods for a time. It typically all rearranges itself to a proper pattern and there are no lasting effects. Also remember that if your body has a lot of healing to do, it may prioritize that over the fertility cycle; mammals will generally not want to have babies when their bodies are out of flux and will work to realign first. My opinion is that unless there is a chance that you are actually pregnant, your period will turn up. :)

Glad to read this! I am on day 17 of my first Whole30. My period is 11 days late. I have taken four tests, all negative, so I don't think I am pregnant. I'm usually pretty regular and wasn't expecting this at all. I have been crampy on and off, but nothing yet.

• Like 1

I started my Whole30 on March 2nd and completed it with no problems... and no period. I've stayed mostly Whole30 since then (but def made some exceptions, particularly regarding alcohol). I am now 33 days late according to my period tracker app- which I have because my periods are not usually very regular, but never THIS late. I even took a pregnancy test just to be sure- negative. I went to the lady doctor in April to get my annual exam and had checked out fine. I'm worried and not sure what to do.... help?

This happened to me every time until I made a change. Here's why. Our entire cycle is based on perpetuation of the species. We get our period when we aren't pregnant, our bodies then start preparing the uterus for pregnancy, we ovulate when that's ready and our body tells us conditions are right to have a baby. That's the critical part. In cave man days, for example, during a famine would not be the best time to get pregnant as it would be unlikely for a fetus or baby to survive. So, the body has a defense mechanism. It just doesn't ovulate. And if you don't ovulate, you usually don't get your period.

Fast forward to modern times. A drastic shift in diet can still trigger the body into thinking that it might not be the right time to get pregnant, so it delays ovulation for you. That's instinct kicking in. You mentioned your cycles are irregular. That can contribute. Do you have any condition that you know of? Are you under more stress lately? Any sort of change in stress can trigger the same delay in ovulation. Are you low carb?

I have endometriosis and secondary hypothyroidism and my cycles used to be all over the place. I found that if I start a whole 30, I need to eat lots more carbs and fat to tell my body that I'm not starving, I'm just switching things up. Since our hormones are derived from cholesterol, I eat lots of it despite having high cholesterol and against my last doctors advice (since thyroid hormones are required for converting cholesterol into hormones, my body kept making more cholsterol since it wasn't getting enough hormones down steam due to low thyroid). And now when I start a whole 30, I've leared to start right after I ovulate so my body has time to register the change before I'm even close to ovulation.

It might be helpful to post a few days of food so people can give you some tips, see if there is anything that stands out.