Changes in Menstrual Cycle

Megan

I'm on day 3 of my second Whole30, and began my period suddenly last night. I mean, really suddenly, 9 days early, no warning at all. That has never happened to me. It was really a bummer because today I don't feel awesome, and I was hoping to do yoga one more time before my holiday ended. Bleh.

This is me exactly. Day 3 it comes on out of nowhere. I usually have around 30 day cycles and this was more like 20-22. It's never regular, but this obnoxious. A day later I started having a sore throat that turned out to be strep so I definitely feel you on how irritating Aunt Flo is this month.

• Like 1

This is really helpful and comforting to read. I'm 5 days into my Whole30 and my period started yesterday, which is 10 days early for me. Not that my period has been like clockwork forever, but it's been regular for the past 3 months, and this really caught me off guard as I've been using a progesterone cream to help balance my hormones this month. Good to know that others have seen fluctuations!

Hi, Friends. An update: that period was not a happy surprise, but I do think it was a symptom of a hormonal shift toward balance. I just didn't expect anything like that to happen so quickly. The bleeding was more normal than I've experienced in a year or so -- consistent, no clots, so pauses. On the last day I had a migraine. Not awesome.

But-- now on day 9 of the Whole30, I feel so good I just had to say something. Like a fresh breeze has blown through my (bodily) home. I mean, I really, really feel good. And not just because I'm not in pain. I feel somehow like I've taken a deep breath with all my muscles. Much less tension everywhere.

I don't know what the next days will bring, but I'm cool with it. I'm in.

• Like 3

Just got my 'Whole30' period last night, 11 days early o.O

I have lean PCOS (and suspected endometriosis) so maybe this is a good sign. Although, wow, I didn't know it was coming. Usually I have a week of monster PMS with cramping and crazy sugar cravings (I NEED CHOCOLATE) etc.  This time, oh I wanted some extra carbs yesterday. And then I had cramps, and I said to DH 'You know, I think I'm going to get my period in the next week or so, those light cramps are starting." Went to the bathroom 5 minutes later, and there it was!

And this morning - the irony - was my first day of tiger blood (it's all about that blood...)! I think I 'tiger blood' was delayed because I was premenstrual.

We will be starting fertility treatment (TTC #2, #1 took 2 years to make) this month so interested to see how Whole30 helps with that. Might extend it a bit, as I'm already on day 22 of my Whole30. I'm interested to see how long my period will last too, as last month it was quite long (I started the Whole30 during my period, maybe that's why).

• Moderators

Hi, Friends. An update: that period was not a happy surprise, but I do think it was a symptom of a hormonal shift toward balance. I just didn't expect anything like that to happen so quickly. The bleeding was more normal than I've experienced in a year or so -- consistent, no clots, so pauses. On the last day I had a migraine. Not awesome.

But-- now on day 9 of the Whole30, I feel so good I just had to say something. Like a fresh breeze has blown through my (bodily) home. I mean, I really, really feel good. And not just because I'm not in pain. I feel somehow like I've taken a deep breath with all my muscles. Much less tension everywhere.

I don't know what the next days will bring, but I'm cool with it. I'm in.

This post just made my day!! Wonderful how wonderful you feel!

Hi! I don't really want to start my own thread, but I made an account just to post about this. I'm on Day 10 and I'm feeling so wonky. My body is insanely bloated, I've had dull but strong cramps and I've been a PMSing mess in general. This has been going on throughout but really peaked a few days ago. Right now I'm still bloated, but it's more like that I usually am in the week or so before my period. I'm also ravenous (as in, genuine stomach pangs hungry), despite eating a massive lunch and dinner today.

Thing is, I also had to take a Plan B 2 days before I started this. So now I'm wondering whether my body's *really* freaking out with not just the added hormones from Plan B but also starting the Whole30. My cycle has never been great or predictable...usually takes anywhere from 35-50 days. 

Can someone help me please?

• Moderators

First, regarding being hungry, lots of women report eating more (sometimes double) in the week leading up to and the week of their period.

If you're hungry (litmus test, you'd eat bland steamed fish and broccoli) then eat a meal or mini meal (composed of at least two of the three macros: fat, protein, veg).

As far as Plan B goes, I've taken it and it did a number on me for sure... it's a LOT of hormones being introduced to your body in one shot and for someone that is already struggling with hormone issues (35-50 day cycle) that's definitely going to play a part.

Even in regard to how you were feeling before, if your hormones are trying to get themselves back in whack (since they may currently be out of whack), feeling odd is totally normal and will resolve itself as you go.

Keep going on the Whole30. There's nothing about eating real, whole food in generous portions that is going to make this situation worse for you!

• Like 1

If you're hungry (litmus test, you'd eat bland steamed fish and broccoli) then eat a meal or mini meal (composed of at least two of the three macros: fat, protein, veg).

I could kill 10 plates of fish and broccoli right now! So yes now I'm drinking some turkey broth (and eating some of the turkey that made it). 

Thanks for the encouragement. I made the mistake of peeping at the scale (hoping the bloat was just in my mind) and it wasn't good, so I've been disappointed in my body and doubting the diet. I've always struggled with keeping hormones balanced and am VERY sensitive to hormones. I couldn't take hormonal contraceptives because of the side effects...until the necessity of Plan B, ugh. Never again.

Are there any particular links/threads where I can read more about the effect of Whole30 on hormones?

• Moderators

Please get rid of your scale... I advocate smashing it with a hammer but if you're not into that, take the batteries out, hide it, give it to a friend to hide... it's a rule just like no sugar is a rule so please put it away.

Second, regarding your comment of doubting the diet. The Whole 30 is not a diet. It is a 30 elimination program designed to help you find out which food groups are making you less healthy. Do people lose weight on it? Yes, sure. But it's not a weight loss program and you're on day 10 of a 30 day plan, so even if it WAS a weight loss program, it's not really fair to doubt it only a third of the way in.

If you would like to list a few days of your intake including portion sizes, meal timing and fluids, we can take a look and see if there's any tweaking that can be done to help with the bloat and general feeling of malaise.

As far as Whole30 and hormones, you could peruse the Ladies Only section of the forum and find a ton of anecdotal evidence that the Whole30 way of eating is exceptionally good for your hormones. There are stories of women getting their libido back, women ovulating for the first time in years and women who have minimized the symptoms of pms and menopause. Have a read through those threads, I think you'll be both fascinated and inspired!

Oh and if you can kill 10 plates of bland food, eat a meal! Seriously! If you're that hungry and I know what that feels like, a few bites of turkey and some broth aren't going to do it.

• Like 1

Oh, I definitely meant "diet" in terms of "system of eating", not "way to lose weight". I know, my username doesn't help, but it's actually a really lame and nerdy reference that's a sarcastic personal reminder to NOT think of this as dieting. :)

The broth (still unskimmed, so had a lot of fat probably) combined with protein satisfied me pretty well actually, but soup usually does that for me. Otherwise I think my packed lunches would've been in trouble!

Very interesting, I'll definitely have a look through some threads here, thanks for the help. I've been getting all the "signs" like I'll get my period soon, but I normally wouldn't expect it for another few weeks. 

• Moderators

I'm on Day 8 and I just got my period, despite the fact that I had just my period 2 weeks ago and I am on birth control. I am supposed to get my period next week, according to my birth control. Wandering now if I'll just have a 2 week long period.....

Hard to say but unlikely... things get a little mixed up sometimes timing-wise when we start balancing our hormones, but your body knows what to do!

Hang in there!

Yeah, didn't think this could possibly happen to me. I have PCOS and have been on hormonal birth control to regulate the symptoms since before contraception was something I was thinking about. That's 26 years total (yes, I know that's not optimal but there are a lot of issues involved, including not being able to find a doctor to do a tubal ligation because I didn't have kids. I was told repeatedly "you'll change your mind", as if I couldn't live with the consequences of my own choices. But that's another story entirely).

I've been on the 24-day pill since it was invented - about a decade. I rarely get a period (1-3 per year), have no spotting, no cramping, no headaches, and no more PMDD. When I do get one, it's 1-2 days, max.

I'm in the middle of my cycle, and I'm spotting. Day 8 of 30. I didn't notice this during my last 30s, but this time I'm being way more observant of following the meal template and eating WAY more veggies. I can't think of anything else in my life that's changed besides my diet. I'm still 20-30 pounds overweight, my weight has not previously played a role in my cycles or spotting.

Not sure where to go with this. I don't see my doc for my annual until next month. In absence of heavy bleeding, I'll not think its something that needs to be checked out- but it's weird all the same.

Hello Whole30 community,
This is the first time I have visited the forums, so hello to all of you beautiful, healthy (or getting healthy) people out there.  I just read through all 9 pages of this forum and if I've missed my situation out there, I'm sorry to repeat it here.  I'm currently age 48. I went immediately perimenopausal since I stopped breastfeeding my daughter after 13 months when I was 44 (I'm a late bloomer, I guess!).  My last anything-resembling-a-period was in May of this year, and since then nothing (longest stretch yet) ...until I started the Whole30 on Dec 28th.  Since then, I've been spotting a bit.  I wondered if anyone out there was a little older and had experienced anything like this?

Thanks,
Kim Can

To the ladies who have posted recently that they're getting periods or spotting mid-pill pack,....I did that on my first one and was told it's totally normal. I talked to my doc about it at my annual in December and he was ENCOURAGED by it!  I have PCOS so the idea that my hormones are doing something is AMAZING.  stick with it!

• Like 3

I'm so glad I found this thread!! I started my cycle yesterday, which was day 12 of my first whole30. I never start on a Friday (it's usually around a Tuesday) and I'm about 10 days early. I was on BC for 10 years when I decided to take myself off. That was around 3 years ago. My cycle has yet to fully return to "normal" in those 3 years. I've had months where periods are super heavy and last for 7-10 days and then the next month it'll be light and lasts 5 days. It's strange. I think the BC affected my natural hormones so I was hoping whole30 would help straighten them out. I participate in crossfit 3-4 times a week, but exercise has never had an impact on my cycle. I was a 2 sport college athlete. I've read a lot of threads on here and the consensus seems to be that those on BC get early periods while those who aren't get them late. But I'm not on BC and got mine early. This is only day two of my period so I'm not sure about the heaviness or the pain but I don't think I experienced too much of the PMS I typically do. I think I may have been bloated bc I could me be physically see a change in my waist size (always looked like it was holding water) and I may have been cranky a day or two before. No other symptoms. So I guess I'm writing this to see what your thoughts are.

Hi everyone, just wanted to update for sake of those who might check in here with the same problem. I ended up getting my period a few days ago after much more painful cramping than normal. It also seems much heavier too, but no idea if that's the Plan B or Whole30. I can also tell I'm still bloated and am hoping that'll go away once my period stops, as normal. The good news is that my appetite has *really* reined itself back - whew. 

Hi everyone, just wanted to update for sake of those who might check in here with the same problem. I ended up getting my period a few days ago after much more painful cramping than normal. It also seems much heavier too, but no idea if that's the Plan B or Whole30. I can also tell I'm still bloated and am hoping that'll go away once my period stops, as normal. The good news is that my appetite has *really* reined itself back - whew.

Hi -

I'm on your schedule - sort of. I was crazy exhausted and bloated 3-4 days before my period... (Which was about 4-5 days early). I would have given a limb for a chocolate bar, and my mood was dangerously grumpy. I would still push through hiit workouts, but it was total torture.

On day 13, my period arrived and my cramps have been insane! I'm on the 2nd day of my period, taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours, still pretty uncomfortable.

My appetite - especially for protein - has been ravenous. I almost ate an entire 16oz sirloin for dinner, probably had close to 12oz, not an ounce of guilt. It was amazing. I have found sweet potatoes to be especially satisfying and helpful with my grumpiness.

I feel better reading the other posts about this because the intensity seems consistent with others, and the cycle changes seem pretty common with everyone.

I wouldn't worry if you haven't seen weight changes, (I have been good by hiding the scales!) something tells me that the scale will have a different number on day 30. This is my first Whole30, everyday is completely different! One day I'm ready to run, the next I can barely walk a flight of stairs. I guess we're on an adventure...but I'll tell you one thing with absolute certainty, this is the worst period I can remember.

Good luck with the next couple of weeks!

-Stef

Hey ladies. So, I wanted to come over here before going to the drs as I'm currently living in a foreign country and it can be hard to make myself understood. I thought perhaps some of you have dealt with these issues before. 

So, I'm on an off brand of seasonique, which means I get one period every 3 months. Right now I'm 5-6 weeks away from my scheduled period, and on day 15 of the Whole30. For the last week I've had a brown blood period, essentially. And now today I actually have proper red blood, not brown, which has me concerned. I've not missed a pill or been taking them at weird hours or anything. Only once, 9 days ago, was I a couple hours late taking it. I used to spot for a week or so if I messed up my pill schedule for a few days, but being that it was only one day, I doubt it was that. 

Has anyone had any break through periods while on the pill and doing whole30?

Also, I'm a vegetarian (eggs are my protein right now) if that makes any difference. 

Thanks in advance for reading. 

x

• Administrators

Hi Dee, I have merged your question with an active thread rife with examples of people who have experienced some shuffle in their menstrual issues, including those that are on various forms of birth control pill.

In future, please feel free to Google "Whole30" and whatever your question in, you'll get lots of threads you can participate in.