Day 31 - We did it!! 5 happy, healthy kids!

We just completed our Whole30, and the only thing we have done crazy is have some wine, and make a delicous chocolate sauce (made with coconut milk, oil, - paleo - but with honey) to dip our strawberries in last night! We had some friends over last night and had curried shrimp and scallops-out of a paleo cookbook, and some zucchini 'breaded' in almond flour/italian seasonings, then the strawberries/chocolate for dessert. It was so delicious and we have no desire to go back to grains, dairy, etc. Our friends who are slowly understanding our lifestyle, loved the meal and complimented it over and over.

My 5 kids have put up some fights, but we stuck to our guns, and they did it. They learned to obey and refuse food at school, even during this last week of school where that seems to mean everyone throws sugar, dyes, and gluten at you all day to celebrate. I brought them yummy fruit smoothies to their celebrations and my 9 yr old confessed it was a lot better than the sugary, cheap snacks they were serving from the grocery store. I am so proud of them, and very happy with our results.

I have lost 8 pounds, my husband 7 lbs, and considerable inches. We feel great, and I am now under 130lbs, which was an elusive goal for me the past few years. I feel totally empowered to continue. We love good food and good cooking, so I just see it as learning how to cook all over again. Whole30/Paleo food is delicous, there isn't a reason to eat like we were before, even though it wasn't all that 'bad' in the eyes of the world.

Anyway, just wanted to share our success and encourage anyone with kids that you CAN do this. It's food, good food. Our little munckins are still under our control in our homes, and we CAN put good food in front of them and expect them to eat. I know it's hard to hear them complain, and it almost makes me feel like I'm depriving them of something, but then I put my big girl panties on and think with reason: They are children, I am the grown up, I know better than they do. I will not allow them to harm their bodies and will teach them, so when they leave from under my wings in a few short years, they will know how to eat, and will teach their children how to eat. It's important, and one of the most important jobs I have as a mother. If I don't teach them, no one will. I take it seriously and the results are worth it!

Go for it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cook paleo meals for a family of five and, well...see my other post asking for help spending under $900/month on groceries! ;)

I think I have finally figured out how much to buy and cook to full everyone up - this took trial and error as we were used to grains filling us up! Nothing worse than putting a ton of energy into a paleo dinner and having everyone still hungry afterward. Now I am trying to increase the amount I cook so we can have leftovers for lunch - this never happens and would be cheaper than what we are currently having for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was happy to read your post and how well your family did, even at the end of the 30 days. We are a family of 6 and I am finishing my 30 days today and my 17 yr old son is on Day 8 (he's our oldest). My husband has been loving the dinners we've had all month but hasn't taken the plunge officially. I need to work on him and the other 3 kids!! Thanks for the inspiration to do so! 

Libby

Congratulations! And give those kids a huge bunch of praise for pushing away the temptations at school! I teach middle school so I know how hard that would be for a kid..

I had a student that was officially diagnosed celiac yet kept eating the school pizza everyday, then of course had to go home because she was sick. When I tried to have conversations with her about her health and her future (missing so much school she was failing everything) she told me that her family was on welfare and they couldn't afford to buy the right foods. And that she didn't plan to finish high school because she could just go on disability like both her parents and stay home and play video games!

The point being PARENTS set the stage for attitudes about food! So good job teaching your kids about healthy eating!

Archived