Better than Bad, It's Good! Log - Whole30 style

greenwaypress

Day 26

Wasn't sure how to name meals since I needed a pre-workout, but am not too concerned with athletic gains and just want to get food and brain and digestion in order.

Pre-workout 2 poached eggs, coffee with coconut milk

Gym

M1 burger with lto, 1/4 avocado, broccoli cabbage slaw

M2 handful almonds, chamomile with coconut milk, roasted broccoli, broccoli cabbage slaw, taco meat

It's 7:15 and I'm likely to be hungry later but will probably go to bed early since I got to my parents' so late last night. I felt great at the gym, but had a convo with my mom's trainer and it was half annoying half engaging. I asked if he was the person who told my mom to take a stimulant fat burner supp before her workout and he defended it with the complicated jargon that reads off the bottle. I tried to chat about what I've been getting her into and he questioned it and then he confessed he doesn't eat vegetables, but is "really healthy."

I loathe conversations like these, but it only reinforced a feeling I've had for a few days: I don't have anyone in my day to day life that enjoys this kind of lifestyle that I try have been trying to foster. None of my friends or family are into health in a committed way other than calorie counting/not eating/low-fat/high cardio. It's frustrating and it makes me feel pretty isolated and "weird." The clean type of life that is really enjoyable and exciting with loads of self-experimentation to see how you function best in order to be your best self.

I look more fit and less swollen than when I started and I look forward to measurements and weighing to see how they correlate.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 27

M1 2 eggs poached, scoop taco meat, roasted broccoli, 1 mandarin orange, coffee with coconut cream

Gym - weights and a tabata

M2 coffee with coconut cream, 2 or 3 pickle slices, cauliflower soup, stuffed green pepper made with taco meat

First time I ever failed at making mayonnaise after many successful attempts. I hate wasting food! Ah well.

M3 pg tips with coconut milk, broccoli cabbage slaw, a few slices prosciutto, handful almonds, taco meat with iceberg and mustard.

Need to be drink more water because my intake has decreased since I've been home.

Went out with my dad to his friend's son's 21st bday at a bar in Chicago last night. Had a lot of what I guess would normally be temptations, but ended up being totally fine because it simply wasn't an option. There was a lot of peer pressure, particularly from a socially awkward friend of my dad's and when I say "simply" wasn't an option that is exactly how it felt. Offered countless drinks and this place made you a personal pizza with every drink...I repeat, a PERSONAL PIZZA with every drink. His strange friend has either a drug problem or major OCD or both and was constantly trying to feed me and my dad and couldn't take no for an answer. My dad told me later that he was impressed by my "strength," but I think it was making him reflect on his sort of powerlessness concerning food; he has the worst sweet tooth I have ever encountered.

I recall times when I threw away whatever goal I had because I felt that pull inside, that urge to do whatever. The craving of whatever. The strictness of whole 30 seems "hard" (whatever that means to those who believe it) but it's a relief to lack a choice in the matter. I over consider each option and overthink usually and don't feel any pulls when the concrete plan is there. Being on a whole 30 is easier and more second nature as you rack up the days though it is also more inconvenient the longer you are completely strict because the volume of occasions will surely increase. When you have an allergy it is easy to say no thank you. When you have a goal the majority off people flip their lids because it makes them feel/think things about what might normally be more mindless.

I want more people who are into health in my life! How do people acquire healthy friends? I assume this is why crossfit is like a virus....but for people who can't pay $200/month what else is there?

I want more people who are into health in my life! How do people acquire healthy friends? I assume this is why crossfit is like a virus....but for people who can't pay $200/month what else is there?

I don't really look for "healthy" friends because I feel like it can fuel an obsessive part of me and for me that's not mentally healthy. Restriction has always come easy for me and being around people who encourage me to restrict could lead me down an unhealthy path. But, I do have a few "healthy" friends in that they eat MOSTLY healthy with the occasional splurge (which I find ideal because 100% restriction all the time is not normal or healthy IMO). I met one at the gym I workout at (a normal gym) and we are really close now. a few of the others happened organically and it just so happens that they're "healthy" so it wasn't about going somewhere where healthy people congregate. I think just "riding your own bike" and going places where you're likely to meet like-minded others it the best strategy--like organic/natural cafes and eateries, farmer's markets, and workout facilities (rock climbing, gyms, yoga studio, etc). 

I think just "riding your own bike" and going places where you're likely to meet like-minded others it the best strategy--like organic/natural cafes and eateries, farmer's markets, and workout facilities (rock climbing, gyms, yoga studio, etc).

That's the best bet for sure. Just thinking of those places makes me feel better.

The closest I've been to it was when I used to see a guy before BF who was really physically fit; we weren't obsessed but we had fantastic conversations about related things and he inspired me to keep up and noticed when I was improving. Damn you nyc dating.

Did a work-study for a while at a yoga studio which was great at the time.

Had another ex who wanted to be the fit couple. That was a mess and a half for many reasons. Again, damn you nyc dating.

Day 28

M1 coffee with coconut milk, 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1 zucchini sliced and fried in remainder coconut oil

M2 homemade sweet potato chips, half avocado, half meat stuffed green pepper

Snack: Handful almonds, banana

M3 golden cauliflower soup, deviled eggs, pg tips with coconut milk

Experimented with the mandolin slicer for a good part of the morning and made pressure cooker bone broth and mayo (successfully). The pressure cooker bone broth does not taste as good as crockpot/slow cooking methods at all. It was much less flavorful and I'm not really looking forward to it like I usually do. My mom has been eating what I eat and she is getting a little carb flu. I am happy she is eating healthy.

Day 29

M1 bone broth, baby carrots, half avocado, part of 3 eggs and peppers fried in coconut oil, coffee with coconut milk---was so full after the bone broth I made myself eat the carrots avocado and about one egg, saved the rest for later

M1 pt 2 a couple hours later - rest of eggs/peppers (so full)

M2 scallops and shrimp in pasta sauce over broccoli, half avocado

Snack banana and handful almonds

Bone broth, chocolate tea with coconut milk

Got extreme intestinal pain after the banana and almonds... Not fun and was definitely surprised since I had them yesterday without issue. Was craving bananas and probably the sugar within them. It does seem like it has been a while on the whole 30 at this point and the reintro period is seeming even longer as well. If I want to do non-gluten grain, gluten, dairy, soy, legumes all separately..... That is like a whole45. It just seems long and I'm longing for less rules.

Day 30

Bone broth, coffee with coconut milk

Gym - bike and pilates

M1 2 chicken thighs (Williams Sonoma chicken limone recipe), cucumber tomato avocado salad

M2 pot roast with artichokes, mushrooms, few small chunks potato, small mango, handful almonds, frozen banana chunks (maybe 2 bananas worth)

Waited too long to eat between m1 and m2 which I think is why I was so hungry for all that m2 food. Those frozen banana chunks were very treat-like which is probably why I ate so many.

M3 small bowl pot roast with veg, a couple potatoes, chamomile tea with coconut milk

I'm feeling really great. Not as hyper happy as last time a la tiger blood, but considering the deep emotional rut I was coming from this time around I am absolutely in a good place. Happy, even.

My moods are level. I am usually quite volatile and have a very quick trigger reaction to things. This VERY subdued and I have a rational head.

Much less bloated and sleeping through the night with no bathroom breaks.

Extremely dark circles are almost gone.

Acne is very minimal and skin has a healthy color

Digestion is much more regular and I've always had issues there with constipation.

Dry, itchy patch on the back of my head is much less so.

Energy is stable and I used to be EXTREMELY prone to napping all the time.

Stable and healthy blood sugar; can go between meals without cravings, snacking, hunger, shakiness.

On my first Whole30 I lost minimal weight, maybe 4lbs of scale weight partly due to over consumption of nuts and fat. This time I was closer to the template and did not have that many fruits. I told my bf the numbers and he said he thought it was more which is nice to hear. It feels like a significant amount! I am on the good side of hope when it comes to my current and future physique and fitness levels. Closer to fitting into my favorite jeans from last year and it is easier to see the changes day to day with less padding covering it all up. My hope is back and that is everything...without it there isn't much of anything. My health and physique pitfalls are the main hurdle holding me back from mostly everything because it is all-consuming basically everyday.

I don't feel like my thoughts are centered right now while writing, but that's ok. One day at a time. I got a heart rate monitor watch and am excited to get started with that.

Dairy reintro today.

M1 coffee with coconut milk, baby carrots, 2 eggs and broccoli fried in coconut oil, good sprinkle feta cheese which I didn't really want

M2 coffee with coconut milk, 2 cans tuna salad with mayo, green apple, 3 hunks cheddar which I did not really want to eat

Snack chicken breast and half avocado

M3 pepper jack cheese, baked chicken, salad with Parmesan sprinkles with olive oil/ vinegar, bone broth

Felt a little stomachache after m2 likely bc the cheese was shit quality. Otherwise I wasn't really bothered. There was no milk in the house which is fine by me. Never really was into milk liquid forms. Maybe could have tested heavy cream, but it seems like a waste to buy and not even use.

It's probably going to have to be a day between reintro things rather than two and I wonder if that will mess me up entirely. We'll see??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I'm on day 6 of my second w30 and am so happy to have stumbled upon your success story. I'm about the same size you were and had a similar experience first time around, so your story gives me hope. Congrats!

Archived