Struggling with low energy... pre and post workout meal questions...

I am on day 20 and and I have been super tired and having trouble with low energy all day. this is a new experience for me. I have been eating about 80% paleo for at leeast 2 years now. the biggest change in this plan for me is no weekend wine or "healthy" sugar ie dried fruit and such in between meals. and no pre or post workout shakes or suppliments. I get about 13 WO's a week of which Probably only 5 are HIIT the rest are KB and body weight training. (yoga/gymnastics and Primal movement). Do I just have a post WO meal after the HIIT workouts? or after the others too? 3 days a week I do a 3 hour session strting with 1 hour of warmups, stretching, and foam rolling then jump into Primal move and gymnastic training followed by Strength training. then I go to an hour class doing HIIt with KB'sand such. how should I plan my pre and post WO meals on those days? I used to make a protien shake with hemp and egg white protien powders, some Vega Preworkout powder, super green powder with yerba mate and green tea in coconut water and frozen berries. I had half before my 2 hour body weight training and the other half just before my HIIT class. then eat my breakfast immediately following. That used to work fine but I am struggling with doing this with food and not feeling nausious. Are Protien shakes OK before or after work outs for an easily digestable protien if there is no added sugar or sweeteners? like Raw hemp powder or egg white powder in coconut water with maybe some spinach and half an apple added?

and what is your take on having beef jerkey or a primal pac as a pre or post workout meal?

Love to get some feedback...

AND when will my "energy boost" happen????

I want to feel like a tiger!!!

I workout a lot.... High intensity.... Blah blah blah

I too struggled weeks 2-3... Then I started to get ahead of my calories in recovery mode..... Starchy veg and lean protein immediately post and really fuel well the next meals for recovery for your next workout.... Pre WO all I eat is an egg and coconut milk in coffee or tea and now I'm on fire! I am doing better on real whole foods then ever before on all kinds of shakes and supplements....

And ... Recovery,recovery,recovery! Rest, light days of rowing or cycling, etc. in between heavy workouts, proper food and most importantly sleep......

Good luck

I think alot of people undermind nutrition when it comes to eating clean! It's not that complicated as you may actually think.

I uses to wonder why I was tired, drained and sucked at my workouts. I train competitive athletics (400m) and I pair it with strength training too. If you're feeling tired and drained, simply eat more! Get more carbs like sweet potato into your diet post workout.

Training with intensity calls for extra carbs, so eat up! Personally I feel 10x better if I have my sweet potatoes post workout with the usual guides of lean protein and no fats. I also make sure to include some extra carbs in my next meal, not as dense but stuff like carrots and parsnips..(can't half tell I'm Irish!).

Recover! Eat your food, rest, hydrate, maybe try some whole30 recommended suppliments. Take a day off here and there :)

So what do you eat when doing a climb that takes 6-10 hrs? I get the pre and post food...not sure what to pack with me to eat during my climbs.

I've read about ultra runners using things like mashed sweet potatoes mixed with applesauce & coconut milk as fuel for long runs, also larabars, either homemade or packaged. Maybe those things would help too, during long climbs like that.

I was dragging . (I'm not hugely competitive but run 5 or 6 miles/6 data a week.). I eat sweet potato or butternut squash after working out along with chicken or eggs. I also have a fruit with breakfast-usually mixed berries, a peach or an apple. I usually have beets/carrots/or squash at another meal too. That seems to have popped my energy back up.

I think they put it in little individual jugs... I know the hydration belt brand Amphipod has belts and you can buy little mini-bottles that are meant for gu's, gels, etc. So I'm betting they're using the little mini-bottles for the sweet potato mashes. Plus I think if you search around online, companies are making reusable squeeze bags for food (kind of like what they're putting kids' applesauce in these days).

Archived