Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

(Warning - this is kind of long, because typing fingers can't eat ice cream, LOL)

After multiple attempts/learning experiences, I am embarking on my Whole30 and I WILL succeed this time! I'm ready for the (eventual) additional energy, more strength, and a better mood, LOL.

I've been dabbling in eating paleo for almost a year now. Even though I have had trouble fully committing, I love the way it makes me feel when I stay the course. When I go off rails for an extended period of time, I notice things - my weight, my wobbly flesh, my mood, and my energy level. Even my nails! And I wonder how I could have felt this way all the time before, with my frozen dinners and bread, and not known it.

I've tried a Whole30 several times, and I've made progress. I don't miss bread, and now that I've been gluten-free for so long, I don't even want to eat bread or most baked items, because I know it will make me sick. I don't miss cheese - okay, that's a lie, sometimes I miss cheese, but 95% of the time, I resist it without a problem. I don't miss processed foods.

My downfall, always, is sugar. Specifically, ice cream. I know why I love it - the same reason that everyone does: it tastes good and gives me that little extra oomph when I'm feeling blah. It gives me something to look forward to at 2:00 in the afternoon when that slump kicks in and my husband isn't going to be home that night. Unfortunately, I always say, "Okay, this is the last time," and I over eat it. I mean REALLY overeat it. And I have those days, multiple days in a row. So that immediate oomph is followed by all kinds of yuckiness, including guilt and self-deprecation, not to mention feeling pretty lousy physically.

Well, I'm done with that. I'm done with having sugar control my life and be what makes me happy, then miserable. I am determined to make it through the next 30 days without sugar except what's in my occasional fruit. I know I can do it. I know it won't be easy, I know I'll need help and support, and I know there will be moments when I'm hanging on by my fingernails. I know there will be plenty of 2:00's when I'll be tempted to say: "Oh, just one more time, and then I'll start fresh tomorrow."

NOT THIS TIME. :)

I cooked a bunch of stuff from the Success Guide, ISWF, Practical Paleo and OMG, That's Paleo? Today, I had some sweet potato fritters, pastured eggs, bacon from the wild hog my husband shot, and some yummy salad with paleo mayo. I've got bone broth soup and fritters from broccoli and sweet potatoes, yummy salads with increasing amounts of FRESH produce, strawberries, and mustard-glazed chicken. I took out the side bacon from our local butcher that's been in the freezer for a bit. I've got a husband who would rather I didn't buy ice cream because he'll eat it too. I've got some PR's to set at Crossfit and some cute shorts to fit into.

So, Sugar Demon...kiss your starring role in my life good-bye, because you're gonna be outta here. I've marked the sugar sections in my ISWF so I can find them easily when you come knocking on my door.

I don't want to post what I eat every day because we all quickly will be bored by this. I tend to make a big batch of something and eat it for a week or so, because it's easy. What I would rather post is what the day was like for me - easy, hard, made it through the 2:00 sugar demon attack, whatever... And it may not be every day, but I'm going to be counting the days! Not so I can cheat, but so I can see what 30 days looks like, at last.

I'm excited!!

AND I'm excited because last week I set a BUNCH of PR's:

Wadlow 2/2 - Run 2 miles, rest 3 minutes, run 2 miles. Last time I did this, in November, it was the first time I had run more than a mile. My time was 42:31. When I ran it this week, my time was 38:21 - more than four minutes faster, AND I broke 40. I was psyched.

Baseline: Row 500 meters, followed by 40 squats, 30 situps, 20 pushups, 10 pullups and an 800 meter run. Only shaved 13 seconds off, but it works.

Crossfit total: establish 1RM of back squat, strict press, and deadlift. Now I have been dreading deadlifts for weeks, because I have been stuck at a kind of sad 125 pounds. I just wanted to hit my bodyweight at last. My coach said I would be stuck somewhere for a while, then it would jump up. And it did. I PR'ed my back squat at 90 pounds (+5), press at 60 (+15) and FINALLY broke that deadlift plateau at 130 - then hit it again and made it up to 135. Wahooo!

Not a bad week. I did this when I was eating not so great. What might I do when I'm Whole30'ing it? I'm gonna follow it with a better one. :) :)

Any other sugar-holics want to join me?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I'm a few days ahead of you....but, uh, yeah -

I wasn't sure anyone else actually caved, then said "this is the last time" - and in my case, because it was the last time, I had to eat it all, ya know????

congrats on your PR!! I'm starting a conservative sprint tri program tomorrow...because I knew there was no extra strength last week with starting up. But, you obviously have been working on this for a while.

My husband does nerdfitness, and when they talked about paleo and iswf, we played with it last year.

Now, I'm sick of being sick...but he has a job that travels and entertains clients now. But I bet, if he went in after a week of whole30 and hit some new PRs with his squats, rows and presses...he'd be singing a different tune!

So - you seem to be VERY knowledgeable, experienced, and all that stuff...but, I'll follow you!

My goals:

NUTRITION: Whole30. 'Nuff said

SLEEP: sleep hygiene: technology off and.reading one hour before bedtime (10:15)

STRESS MGT - find something to laugh about every day

EXERCISE - Crossfit 4-5 times per week

ACTIVE RECOVERY - yoga on rest days

INJURY REHAB - chiro once a week, back exercises once a day

FUN & PLAY - something goofy with my husband every day

PERSONAL GROWTH - learn 3 or 4 new recipes, Rosary 2-3 times a week, try to make it to daily Mass 3-4 times in addition to weekly Mass

TEMPERANCE - No nagging my husband! :) words of affirmation for the man I love; reinstitute "No Technology Tuesday" until Deadliest Catch is on

SELF-CARE - Pedicure, fish oil, Lurong Living daily

I'm restarting my Whole30 tomorrow after going 20 days. Sugar is my nemesis. I did manage to go the 20 days without eating one chocolate chip (my downfall is good chocolate; not the Hersheys or Godiva junk) or one bite of cake (carrot cake is God's work), but I did rationalize the honey in my PaleoCrunch cereal as 'not much', I did eat too many raisins in meals and with my dried coconut/nut mixture, and I did notice my coconut kefir water contained stevia after drinking it for 7 days.

So, not so good. Can't tackle the sugar dragon when you eat sugar.

I'm in with you. I've also been Paleo off/on for the past year and I feel great when I do well. I've noticed my clothes getting tighter on this Whole30 attempt so I've also got to pay attention to portions now that the major sugar cravings really have been greatly reduced. I can easily pass up licking the spoon when I cook for the kids (I bake their weekly treats instead of buying them) and I ignored the entire table of baked goods last night at the BBQ. I feel like a new non-smoker who packs on the pounds initially by putting anything in their mouth to avoid the cigarette. The vast majority of what I ate was Whole30 legal, but I ate too much of it. And I snacked.

I don't need to lose weight, but 5lbs less than what I weigh now (I assume, since I haven't weighed myself in over a month) is where I want to be and where I feel best. I thought the weight would pour off of me when i stopped eating sweets, but I guess I was better at eliminating all of the healthy food to compensate for the sugar calories?

In November I developed a chronic injury that now keeps me from my cross-fit like gym. I have tried to find new ways to stay fit, but I definitely need to step up the muscle building. I am no longer able to lift heavy weights or do a lot of ab work or even run comfortably. Boo. Now I need to be done with my pity party and get active in another way. I'm pulling out my bike when the rain stops and giving swimming a try (boring). I have good days and bad days for exercise. I want to do squats but I'm not sure I can. Hmmm I'm sounding whiny.

I also start a new job on Wednesday. I haven't work outside the home for 14 years! I think that will keep me busy and help me avoid the 10am-2pm stuff-my-face marathons.

So, Monday is my new Day One.

Pam...oh, no! What did you do? I think I would perish if I couldn't go to Crossfit. Can you row? Is it your knees, or hamstrings? That's just awful.

I'm in the same situation in terms of weight. Like you I don't weigh myself, but I can tell the difference in my clothes and the way my body feels. I don't really need to lose weight but I'm not comfortable in this body right now...and I think the fact that I'm relatively thin is why it's so easy for me to get back on the sugar after ten or so days. But I'm tired of this yo-yoing, and I really want to make it 30 days and lick this sugar demon once and for all. I too have to be careful, though, that I don't go crazy with fruits. I don't buy cereal or paleo trail mixes for just that reason...too easy for me to snack when I'm bored or missing my honey.

We can do this together! Today has gone very well.

Pam...oh, no! What did you do? I think I would perish if I couldn't go to Crossfit. Can you row? Is it your knees, or hamstrings? That's just awful.

I'm in the same situation in terms of weight. Like you I don't weigh myself, but I can tell the difference in my clothes and the way my body feels. I don't really need to lose weight but I'm not comfortable in this body right now...and I think the fact that I'm relatively thin is why it's so easy for me to get back on the sugar after ten or so days. But I'm tired of this yo-yoing, and I really want to make it 30 days and lick this sugar demon once and for all. I too have to be careful, though, that I don't go crazy with fruits. I don't buy cereal or paleo trail mixes for just that reason...too easy for me to snack when I'm bored or missing my honey.

We can do this together! Today has gone very well.

At 47, I developed pelvic organ prolapse. AUGH! Who tells you about these things when we are younger? Uh, nobody. Now I read it is very common in women, but typically in older women. I don't have a severe prolapse, but it is made more uncomfortable/worse by heavy lifting and running. I was probably destined to prolapse, but it was hurried along by the fact I thought I could lift like a dude. :angry:

So, be very mindful of your posture when you lift heavy things in class. I don't know if you have children or not, but that is a risk factor. So it chronic constipation and heavy lifting. Hat trick for me! The trifecta. Triple whammy. Whatever you want to call it. Also, years of sucking in my gut and not allowing for a natural female posture doesn't help. Take extreme caution if you are one of those women who pees a bit when doing jumping jacks or things like that (me). We turned it into the class joke that I always had to go to the bathroom before warm-up time, but in reality it was a sign something was amiss. And those ab work-outs where we are on the mat with both our head and legs lifted off the floor at the same time? Baaaaaaad for those interior girly parts.

Now I need to find other non impacting ways to stay fit. I used to cycle a ton, so I am hoping that won't cause problems. I'll try to swim, but I don't know if I can overcome the boredom. Walking just doesn't cut it for me. I can use the elliptical at the gym. I can lift 15lb weights so it is better than nothing. What an adjustment for me! I went from Tabatas with the 20 yr olds and considering this year's Tough Mudder to this... Still very much in the woe is me mode.

Pre-Whole30, I literally would eat primarily sugar some days. Then I would not eat anything else except maybe a huge pile of sauteed veggies until the next morning. I would do Intermittent Fasting and wind up binging. A fun cycle. I have been 99% gluten free for a few years, but was very much addicted to sugar in the form of expensive dark chocolate, ice cream, vast amounts of nut butter with honey, maple syrup and even frosting.

The hard part about it is I know better! I'm a smart lady who actually just started working at the local health food co-op. Hah.

Thanks for inviting us to join you.

Christartist - yep, that's me, too: "Since this is the last time, I have to eat EVERYTHING!" and then again the next day and the next...

What is nerdfitness?

Love your scriptures in your sig!

thanks! I need those scriptures in my sig line so I see them everyday...and I write way too many emails! LOL

Nerdfitness - simply the greatest nerdy athletes on the planet! www.nerdfitness.com

And - they embraced me as an inner athlete when no one else would look at me and think such! They led me to THIS lifestyle...WOE - and now, I am back wanting to train for a sprint tri!

Though, girl, I wish I had the kahunas to go to crossfit! Our daughter LOVES it! And I am so inspired by the crossfit ladies at the competitions! But, I need to strengthen a few things first...and so, a Sprint Tri - not as well rounded as cross fit, but that's where I'm starting for now!

At 47, I developed pelvic organ prolapse. AUGH! Who tells you about these things when we are younger?

Hi Pam -

I had a total hyst at 29 because of endometriosis, at the time, it was surgery or really scary drugs. Over a year ago, I was Dxd with prolapse, but not a bad prolaps...2 out of 5? Then, I started feeling better, working out more, my husband did strength training, and anything other than heavy weights wasn't a real workout, ya know? Anyway - long story short, last November I had urgent surgery done, because in 8 months I'd gone from a 2 out of 5 to a 4 1/2 out of 5....

Cue the sad 8 weeks of non work, 4 of them in bed...and now, I am finally able to do some things.

Oh, to make matters worse, I had put off all my training efforts for three years for 5 ankle and foot surgeries...and was just getting to the spot where I could 'do' something again!

So, now, I am training for a Sprint Tri - with walking. If I can walk 4 mph for the 5k, I can go to an official Sprint.

But I'm going out on a limb and assume that you would not recommend I purchase a rebounder trampoline to help with the ups and downs of excess flabby skin, eh?

Your comments totally support my concerns with doing cross fit at this time. Or ever.

Ladies, take care of your insides...because fixing them is not a fun job...and the secondary effects will be with you forever.

hugs, Pam - there are many different ways to workout!

So, be very mindful of your posture when you lift heavy things in class. I don't know if you have children or not, but that is a risk factor. So it chronic constipation and heavy lifting. Hat trick for me! The trifecta. Triple whammy. Whatever you want to call it. Also, years of sucking in my gut and not allowing for a natural female posture doesn't help. Take extreme caution if you are one of those women who pees a bit when doing jumping jacks or things like that (me). We turned it into the class joke that I always had to go to the bathroom before warm-up time, but in reality it was a sign something was amiss. And those ab work-outs where we are on the mat with both our head and legs lifted off the floor at the same time? Baaaaaaad for those interior girly parts.

Thanks for inviting us to join you.

Wow! I haven't had any children - I just turned 51, and by the time I found my wonderful hubby (we've just been married a year and a half), I was well into menopause. :( I pee a million times before the WOD but I think that's psychological more than anything, since I've never peed during one, LOL. I have a bad sacral joint, so - as you can see from the PRs above - I'm far from lifting like a dude! So maybe that's saving me...I have to maintain good posture, or I'll hurt myself and that'll be the end of Crossfit for a while.

Hmmm...I never heard that about the ab workouts. It's pretty rare for us to do hollow bodies or hollow body rocks, so hopefully I'm dodging that bullet too...you'd think it would be good to strengthen your core!

Glad there's other folks out there struggling with the sugar demon (I don't say dragon 'cause my mom loved them, and I have a whole collection of cuddly ones, with kittens and teddy bears, no less!). Happy to have folks to commiserate with as we forge ahead, since most of America doesn't seem to care!

Hi Pam -

I had a total hyst at 29 because of endometriosis, at the time, it was surgery or really scary drugs. Over a year ago, I was Dxd with prolapse, but not a bad prolaps...2 out of 5? Then, I started feeling better, working out more, my husband did strength training, and anything other than heavy weights wasn't a real workout, ya know? Anyway - long story short, last November I had urgent surgery done, because in 8 months I'd gone from a 2 out of 5 to a 4 1/2 out of 5....

I was diagnosed at a 1.5 prolapse of everything. I still have my uterus and I really, really don't want to have any surgery. The complication rates and the failure rates are just too high for me, plus all of the current lawsuits over the mesh sometimes used. OB surgeon told me if I have surgery now, I will be back in 10 years to do it again. So far, they just don't have a good forever fix for prolapse since they are trying to attach weak muscle to weak muscle among other things. I am sure it has gotten a bit worse because I can feel it. I was ill with a stomach bug right before Easter and it aggravated the whole problem.

Thank you for telling your story. And, no, I would personally not use a rebounder, but I have a friend with prolapse much worse than mine who still runs... so it is all individual. I want my upper body back! I was a rock 6 months ago.

There ARE so many ways to stay fit! I need to grab on to a new way of thinking and go for it.

I've been very disappointed with my Whole30 experience as far as weight goes. 20 days into it, eating MUCH MUCH MUCH less sugar than I used to, my belly is quite bloated and I know I've put on a few pounds. Not the results I was expecting, but I'm pretty sure I know how to solve it. If I gain 5lbs to gain control over sugar it will be well worth it. The loss can come later, but too bad it is summer and not the dead of winter!

Lindalee - I have a friend who had some sort of hernia obtained while having babies...and she is very familiar with needing to carefully strengthen the core...and she has since become a personal trainer. She has spent a lot of time with me teaching me how to 'curl my core' without stressing the WRONG muscles and aggravating the issue...and you are right - it's VERY important...as are kegels...

DO YOUR KEGELS!

Pam - yeah, I put off the surgery because of all the things you mentioned, until, well, things fell out. The goal was, I was warned - now lose the weight, exercise and build up muscle. AND, I was going to try to do some exercises to possibly pull things back in. But, as I said, things fell out way too fast for my time frame! And if I have to do it again in 10 years, I know that then, I will be thinner, in better shape, and have a great core. Because - I know that if I were 100 pounds lighter, I would have a better prognosis. But I can only blame me for being 100 pounds overweight.

YOU take care of you so that you never need that surgery!

And, I won't go out and get a rebounder tomorrow!!! I know it wasn't comfortable BEFORE the surgery... don't want to undo that costly endeavor!

Yes, Pam and Christi both...so many paths to fitness, we just have to find the one we love and that works for us. I love Crossfit in large part because of the people...my box is so supportive and encouraging, and there are a range of ages. I'm usually near the bottom when it comes to weights and things - though I've won a couple of 5ks in my age group (benefit of being over 50, LOL) - but for me it's all about getting stronger and that community feeling. In July I will have been at my box for one year - I've never stuck to anything for so long.

What does a prolapse feel like?

Pam - I'm sorry to hear you're still feeling bloaty; I wonder why?

So let's share ideas for fighting off the sugar craving...this forum is one for me...

What does a prolapse feel like?

Pam - I'm sorry to hear you're still feeling bloaty; I wonder why?

So let's share ideas for fighting off the sugar craving...this forum is one for me...

For me, I noticed the prolapse one morning all of the sudden. It really just came on that fast (the feeling). It feels like a tiny little baby head down at the base of my vagina with pressure around the perineum. It probably all depends on what organ is prolapsed. I have uterus, bladder and rectum prolapsing (rectal prolapse will push the vaginal wall in and down). Oh, joy. They are all still inside, thankfully.

It is SO important for me to stay regular. One missed poop day and I feel horrible. The way the anatomy is lined up now, constipation pushes my prolapse down. You can also have the feeling that you haven't completely evacuated after pooping if you have issues with the rectal prolapse.

So, now on to happier topics! Sugar demon (we shall refrain from using Dragon here) tips and tricks. I don't have any yet.

I can tell you, with my first Whole30 experience this month, do NOT eat dried fruits. It was definitely a substitute for my sugar cravings. I have to cut out sugar, period. My fruit intake has been next to nothing since going Paleo last year, but I always used raisins, figs and such in oatmeal and other meals.

The desire for sugar was so intense the first week. I put anything else in my mouth to avoid eating sugar. I gained weight as a result, and carried that over eating on to the second and third week even when the cravings were lower.

There is a template here somewhere for your plate. Take a look at it and maybe even print it out. I'm famous for having a bowl of good beef stew really being a trough of beef stew and my serving of sweet potato is likely double or triple what they recommend!

Good luck to us! We are spread so far around the world, but this is the beauty of the Internet!

Sugar is a pitfall for me too...I've realized sometimes even fruit sends me into that unhealthy spiral, so I've been avoiding it during my Whole30 thus far. I'm determined to succeed this time, so I'm only going to eat fruit when I feel my body needs it (not those emotional cravings). Good luck...we can do this thing! :D

Sugar is a pitfall for me too...I've realized sometimes even fruit sends me into that unhealthy spiral, so I've been avoiding it during my Whole30 thus far. I'm determined to succeed this time, so I'm only going to eat fruit when I feel my body needs it (not those emotional cravings). Good luck...we can do this thing! :D

Well, your Sara-Lee name is appropriate for the sugarholic.

Today I am making my kids' weekly baked treat. I know I probably should not do it at all, but it makes me feel good and they love the tradition. Warm mom moments. Typically, I am a bowl licker. Last week I wasn't even tempted! We will see about today...

haha yes, my name is quite appropriate, eh? :P

Good luck with the temptation of baked treats...If I bake, I typically will down the entire batch myself. :wacko: Hopefully since you're baking for your kids, the temptation won't be as strong this week either. I generally feel that the longer I go without sweets, the less I even desire them. Remember the icky feelings they give after we're done eating them. No bueno.

Last night, I tried to create something sort of oriental, and I had purchased pineapple...fresh pineapple...ok, everyone sit back down!

I didn't want it to go bad, since it isn't a BAD food - so I cut it up to add to the chicken and veggie stir fry.

IT WAS SO SICKENINGLY SWEET THAT I HAD TO PULL IT OUT! I couldn't even eat it!

I got a little pineapple flavor on the chicken and the veggies, but the pineapple itself was way too sweet!

BEFORE this, to confess, I have sat down and eaten the whole container of pineapple. It's fruit, right? good for you, right? not ice cream, right?

Last night, my mind kept saying "you like pineapple - eat the stuff on your plate!" But each time I tried - IT WAS TOO SWEET!

What did I learn from that to help sugar-holics?

I have no idea!

But I do love the acronym HALT:

If you are craving, stop and ask:

H - hungry?

A - Angry, or frustrated?

L - lonely or bored?

T - tired?

And of course - are you hungry enough to steam some fish and , for me, asparagus(I know, it's broccoli in the book)?

So, I'm making this sign to put up on my frige and pantry door.

If I'm not able to say yes to hungry - I'm going to drink 8 oz of water, or a nice cup of tea. and wait 15 minutes.

That has worked so far...but I have not had anything other than the pineapple to challenge me in the house!

I hope that helps!

Also - I have committed that if I fall, I have to start 30 days all over...to heal my gut. "Do you want to start all over???"

HTH

I once again enjoy the sweetness of a carrot or sweet bell pepper. I can imagine fresh pineapple tastes like solid sugar!

What have you learned? You've learned your taste buds are readjusting and reawakened!

So annoyed with myself! Was doing great today, then when I went to my workout, my coach and another person were talking about the protein powder I just started using...and my coach said, oh, yeah, the stuff that I've been using has SUGAR in it! And not just a little sugar, TONS of it! Now, it's in a different form, but still! I took a look at the nutrition label and sure enough, there it is.

GRRR.

Fortunately, I didn't use any of it yesterday, so I'll just stick another day on the end (I'm doing a Whole46 anyway, until the 4th of July). But I'm bummed because it was working for me...I had good stamina during my workout today and my recovery was much better. Sigh...

So annoyed with myself! Was doing great today, then when I went to my workout, my coach and another person were talking about the protein powder I just started using...and my coach said, oh, yeah, the stuff that I've been using has SUGAR in it! And not just a little sugar, TONS of it! Now, it's in a different form, but still! I took a look at the nutrition label and sure enough, there it is.

GRRR.

Fortunately, I didn't use any of it yesterday, so I'll just stick another day on the end (I'm doing a Whole46 anyway, until the 4th of July). But I'm bummed because it was working for me...I had good stamina during my workout today and my recovery was much better. Sigh...

Well, crap! Stevia or xylitol?

Kind of like when I bothered to read my coconut water kefir label to find stevia... why the need to sweeten coconut water???? Argh.

"Pure dexanhydrous glucose" The theory being that when you lift heavy, you deplete your glycogen levels, and this shoots glycogen straight to the muscle cells. Kind of the reason you eat a starchy carb afterward, only easier/quicker according to their claims. It says it isn't a simple carb like sucrose, fructose, etc. Of course this is all from their website, so who knows?

I don't know...I'm going to talk to my coach, because so far this has done what it claimed to do - I was doing burpees today in the workout and my stamina was better than it's ever been, but on the other hand...at the very least, I'll probably give it up during the Whole30, have the protein (whey isolate) portion by itself - that doesn't have any sugar - then try it again after I'm done and see what happens.

Archived