Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

My turn to have a complete flop of a day.

I was tired. I had to get up at 4:30am to take my son to the airport. I knew I would struggle with eating today because fatigue is always a big trigger.

I did fine until about 6pm when I started a late dinner. I was hungry and ate while my dinner was cooking. Macadamias, hazelnuts, raisins; a lot of them. I ate an entire acorn squash with ghee; a lot of it. So, that was it. I was overly full but it was all Whole30.

Could I stop there? OF COURSE NOT! So, for the first time in 27 days, I had processed sugar: cake and ice cream.

Crap. I am so full and unhappy. It wasn't even a craving, but more of a 'what the hell' kind of eating. I didn't even enjoy it.

:angry:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True confession...three dreadful days. When I went to bed last night, I prayed intensely to Jesus and asked for His help, because I know I can't defeat this sugar thing alone. There's just no way.

This morning, I feel better, more hopeful, optimistic, confident. (Thank you, God.) It's a gorgeous day. I went to the farmer's market, grocery, and local meat market and actually had no cravings for ice cream or Diet Mt. Dew (my other vice). Again, thank you, God. :) I got plenty of good things - veggies, ground turkey, etc.

Here's today's brunch (the one thing I didn't do well was to get up in time to eat before I ran my errands):

Sweet potato fritters (Practical Paleo)

Side bacon from my local butcher - love this stuff, it's completely uncured. I fry it up with some salt and it is delicious. I have the US Wellness bacon in the freezer waiting for a little bit. Three eggs, and strawberries with coconut cream. Delicious and satisfying.

post-1961-0-46752100-1369505693_thumb.jp

How is everyone else doing? Even if you're struggling, please post...I know it's hard to admit you've fallen off the wagon, but let's keep each other going.

I'm off to cook some more and do some back exercises and yoga...

Hey, everyone! It's the end of the day and I've done well, so I'm happy about that. Currently cooking "The Best Chicken..." from Well Fed. I don't have a grill, so it's been an experiment, roasting it instead. We'll see...

I have a new response to commercials about food (every single one is for unhealthy food, have you ever noticed that?): "I don't eat that." Hey, I'll try about anything at this point...

Hope everyone is off enjoying the holiday weekend...

I, too, have fallen off the wagon slightly. I finally gave in and ate some fruit, which just triggered me to want to eat EVERYTHING in sight. It was all still whole food, but nevertheless, I ate waaaay too much, and I feel sick. I'm sure I'll suffer for it, but at least I avoided all the snacks my parents have in the cupboards! The fruit I had actually tasted pretty disgusting...like chemicals. Okay, now that I've confessed a little but, I shall try harder tomorrow!

Yes, fruit is better than ice cream, but I was not doing my body any favors by going overboard with it!

Also, in your earlier comment, LindaLee, I like that whole "I do not eat that"...I remember reading once it's better to say that in place of "I cannot eat that" because the cannot makes us feel deprived, whereas do not makes it our choice. :)

Pam - exactly! (oops, I meant Sara Lee!)

Here's today's breakfast:

post-1961-0-35971500-1369581349_thumb.jp

These are my sweet potato fritters, turkey "sausage" (I make it with sage, water, and salt), carrots, olives, and mandarins.

My tea has tasted so good these last few days...it is MUCH better than Diet Mountain Dew. How could I ever prefer Dt. Dew, other than the effort quotient? (Tea in tea ball, hot water, time, etc., etc. versus dropping money into a soda machine)

Feeling great this morning, which is totally the grace of God. I am grateful beyond words for this.

A while ago, I bought a book called "Women, Food and God," by Geneen Roth. I tracked it down on Friday, and am hoping it will help me succeed in this journey. Anyone ever heard of it?

Happy Memorial Day, my sisters in soulful, sugar-free sustenance!

Pam - exactly!

Here's today's breakfast:

post-1961-0-35971500-1369581349_thumb.jp

These are my sweet potato fritters, turkey "sausage" (I make it with sage, water, and salt), carrots, olives, and mandarins.

Happy Memorial Day, my sisters in soulful, sugar-free sustenance!

Yummy photo! Did you finish your meal with a squirt of flea spray? :o

Diet soda. I haven't had a diet soda since 1985. I was in college and drinking 1-2 cans of Diet Mtn Dew per day. I started getting one sided headaches, balance issues, ringing in ears and such. They tested me for a brain tumor (negative). I walked into my ENT's office with a can of Diet Dew and he smiled. Told me to stop drinking diet soda and within 48 hours I felt normal.

Aspartame is not my friend. They had just started adding Nutrasweet/Aspartame to soda in 1983 or 1984, and bless my MD for paying attention. Scary to think enough problems were already cropping up that MDs were seeing a pattern!

There is a documentary called "Sweet Misery" out there on the web. Take a look! In addition, more and more speculation that the fake sugars actually lead to weight gain. Go figure.

Onward!

So I woke up this morning feeling like I have a slight hangover. Funny how food can affect the body so dramatically.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday and Memorial Day weekend! Stay strong at those barbecues ;)

SaraLee - I know that feeling, but mine has come from processed sugar rather than too much fruit. It is funny, isn't it? Wednesday I not only had an extravagant amount of ice cream, I also had some other sugar (I think chocolate) during the day. I literally made myself sick, to the point that I was so nauseous and had such a dreadful headache the next day that I couldn't even go to work. Embarrassing.

Today has been a great day. The breakfast I posted above was late - didn't eat until after church - then my husband and I went to our new property just for a little walk around and to fill up the deer feeder around lunchtime. I knew we would be out there so I packed some salmon from US Wellness, plaintain chips (which I didn't eat, too much like potato chips for me, too easy to snarf down handfuls), olives, organic dried mulberries, and carrots. I got a little peckish while he was messing with his deerstand, so I had a few bites of the salmon, some olives, and a few carrots, and that satisfied me. When we got home, it was too late for lunch, too early for dinner, so I had a couple of beef sticks from US Wellness.

While we were at the property, I started reading the book I mentioned above, but it depressed me. I know I have an attachment to sugar, but I just don't feel like dramatizing it. I'm pretty sure I eat to fill some form of emptiness, and I suspect it's at least partially spiritual and partially social when I miss my husband, but...I just don't want to make a HUGE deal out of it. So while we were driving home, my husband noticed I was very quiet and I told him I was struggling with the sugar issue. He was so supportive - he struggles with eating properly too, given his "back and forth" schedule and the fact that half the time he lives with a 17-year-old who only wants to put junk food in his mouth, but only wants a little bit, so guess who ends up eating the rest? So we re-committed to each other to eat healthy, and he started looking at treadmills. He's very introverted and shy, so Crossfit is not an option for him (too bad, I think he'd love the exercises themselves, at least the strength ones); he used to have a Nautilus weight machine but we have nowhere to put it here. Maybe we should just get some free weights or start doing pushups and stuff together! At any rate, it just was nice to be able to "confess" to him - if it's not a secret, that gives it a lot less power.

So...when we got back, I felt much less depressed. I bought some bananas, and I made some avocado/banana/coconut milk/cocoa "pudding." Though I know this can be seen as paleo-fying a SAD item, I feel okay about it - it's a way for me to get my avocados in, and it'll serve as a healthy fat and fruit. I will keep an eye on it, so if it starts to be a "gateway" to other sugars, I'll eliminate it.

Then I made some of my favorites - salmon cakes from ISWF. Last time I made these, the egg got away from me before I could get it in the bowl, and it seemed like a good part of it ended up on my counter. So I put in another egg - and they were the best ones I'd ever made. They really held together and their shape was perfect! So today I put in one large egg and one small one and again, they came out very nice:

post-1961-0-08612700-1369615131_thumb.jp

Then I finished preparing my meals for the coming week - I'd already made my turkey apple hash breakfast and sweet potato fritters for breakfast, and beef (chuck) and veggies for lunch. So all I had left was my salads, which have sort of a token amount of lettuce/greens (fresh from the farmer's market! Hooray!), tomatoes (local produce stand), cucumbers (unfortunately, Aldi's), and organic celery from the local health food store. I put a blob of Paleo mayo in the middle, then when I get ready to eat it, I shake up the container so the mayo coats everything. It's delicious.

post-1961-0-18770600-1369615336_thumb.jp

Then I prepared my olives and carrots - though it occurs to me that with the sweet potatoes, I probably don't need the carrots, so I'll leave them at home. And done!

Time for dinner at last! I had some Paleo "lasagna" (so good...with layers of zucchini instead of noodles, I love it) left over, so I zapped that, had a salad, and some of my "pudding." I'm full!

Hope everyone had a great day. We're homebodies, so we'll either be at our cabin or property or hanging out at home tomorrow...no BBQ temptations for us! Unless I can talk my husband into getting a grill...yummy, that would be a great way to prepare that US Wellness ribeye I have thawing in the fridge...

Soldier on, sugar resisting sisters! Day 2 is done!

Yummy photo! Did you finish your meal with a squirt of flea spray? :o

Diet soda. I haven't had a diet soda since 1985. I was in college and drinking 1-2 cans of Diet Mtn Dew per day. I started getting one sided headaches, balance issues, ringing in ears and such. They tested me for a brain tumor (negative). I walked into my ENT's office with a can of Diet Dew and he smiled. Told me to stop drinking diet soda and within 48 hours I felt normal.

Aspartame is not my friend. They had just started adding Nutrasweet/Aspartame to soda in 1983 or 1984, and bless my MD for paying attention. Scary to think enough problems were already cropping up that MDs were seeing a pattern!

There is a documentary called "Sweet Misery" out there on the web. Take a look! In addition, more and more speculation that the fake sugars actually lead to weight gain. Go figure.

Onward!

Pam - LOL! I'm impressed that you could see the flea spray in the picture! It's organic, for my cats, and I put it there to remind me and my husband that we need to put it ON the cats.

Oh, yes, I have read a lot about artificial sweeteners and the Dt. Dew is the last "holdover" from my "sugar free" days. ISWF, and my consultation with Dallas, really opened my eyes to all of that stuff, and now I avoid it like the plague.

It's funny, and I think it's sooo important, that we look back at where we were a year ago today. Yes, we still have our struggles, but think about the things you DON'T do anymore:

I don't eat bread or any other gluten, at all. It's easy for me (usually) to look at Little Debbie snack cakes and not want them because I'm over gluten.

I don't eat dairy other than ice cream.

I don't eat artificial sweeteners, except when I slip and have a diet Dew.

I don't eat processed foods, and I used to live on frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine and such.

All I gotta do is lick this sugar demon and I'm golden! LOL...

While we were at the property, I started reading the book I mentioned above, but it depressed me. I know I have an attachment to sugar, but I just don't feel like dramatizing it. I'm pretty sure I eat to fill some form of emptiness, and I suspect it's at least partially spiritual and partially social when I miss my husband, but...I just don't want to make a HUGE deal out of it. So while we were driving home, my husband noticed I was very quiet and I told him I was struggling with the sugar issue. He was so supportive - he struggles with eating properly too, given his "back and forth" schedule and the fact that half the time he lives with a 17-year-old who only wants to put junk food in his mouth, but only wants a little bit, so guess who ends up eating the rest? So we re-committed to each other to eat healthy, and he started looking at treadmills. He's very introverted and shy, so Crossfit is not an option for him (too bad, I think he'd love the exercises themselves, at least the strength ones); he used to have a Nautilus weight machine but we have nowhere to put it here. Maybe we should just get some free weights or start doing pushups and stuff together! At any rate, it just was nice to be able to "confess" to him - if it's not a secret, that gives it a lot less power.

Soldier on, sugar resisting sisters! Day 2 is done!

I have tons of confessions for my husband. He is the opposite of me: eats to live and I live to eat. He doesn't understand struggling with an addiction at all, and pretty much leads a charmed life! Extremely (naturally) athletic and physically fit. Many things just come easily to him. I've always been fit, but never a natural athlete. It is hard to keep up! So, I tend not to talk to him about my struggles because he doesn't get it or really produce much empathy. He just wants to fix it.

I think this is why a forum can suck me in! I tell my secrets here, I suppose.

You go, girl with the meals! The sound awesome.

LindaLee, good for you for talking about your struggles with your hubby. I definitely believe that speaking something aloud puts the power back into your hands. Have you ever considered purchasing an Ultimate Sandbag for workouts? It's really quite versatile, the makers post videos on youtube, and you need minimal space to workout. Just a suggestion you may want to look into :)

You're also quite right that we should look at how far we've come, rather than focusing on our struggles, because given enough time, we'll no longer need the willpower to fight the sugar addiction, it will just come naturally.

Onward and upward!

How did you post picture attachments? It isn't obvious on this forum.

thanks!

I took a shot of my breakfast. haha

Go to the "More Reply Options" and down to where it says "Attachments." You can download pictures, then "add to post." Good luck!

Day 3...started out sleepy; we slept in and I could've slept another hour after that! But up we got, I started laundry, then Ron went off to our cabin to feed the deer and trim some grass before it got too hot. I headed into town to buy a grill...we have this lovely house in the woods with a deck that's bigger than our living room, and no grill! I got a nice little charcoal grill and some veggies, which I will wrap with olive oil in aluminum foil and add to the grill with our ribeye from US Wellness.

Breakfast was nice - my US Wellness bacon wasn't quite thawed, but I managed to chisel enough off it for a few bites, LOL. Fried eggs and sweet potato fritters and an orange.

Got the grill - so grateful not to be tempted by ice cream; it does make a difference when my husband is here! That mantra of "I don't eat that" really does help. I'm finally getting used to the idea that I won't eat 99% of what's in the food section of the grocery store. Isn't that something? Do you ever marvel about that?

Anyway...got the grill put together, and...oops! Time for lunch. I had some leftovers again - salad, broccoli fritters, and meat and veggies, followed by avocado/chocolate goodness. I am full!

Not sure what we'll do with the rest of the afternoon; it's warming up but too early to fire up the new grill. All my cooking is done, though there are some dishes to finish. Maybe a shower. Probably not a nap since I want to be able to sleep tonight, LOL. Reading? Candy Crush Saga? Blog? I do need to do my back exercises, and maybe a Mobility WOD.

It was all I could do not to pack up my stuff and go to the box today. The WOD was Murph, which is a grinder, so tough, but so satisfying. I wanted to go so much!! But I resisted, sigh. Just a few more days...I'll go back Thursday and Friday, then Saturday is our next five-miler. Eep!

What's everyone else up to today?

I have tons of confessions for my husband. He is the opposite of me: eats to live and I live to eat. He doesn't understand struggling with an addiction at all, and pretty much leads a charmed life! Extremely (naturally) athletic and physically fit. Many things just come easily to him. I've always been fit, but never a natural athlete. It is hard to keep up! So, I tend not to talk to him about my struggles because he doesn't get it or really produce much empathy. He just wants to fix it.

I think this is why a forum can suck me in! I tell my secrets here, I suppose.

You go, girl with the meals! The sound awesome.

It's so true...I think most men can take food or leave it, while women tend to drift toward it for comfort. Certainly our society promotes this - look at all the shows where women soothe each other over ice cream, chocolate, cheese cake. And yet, the ideal for women is to be ridiculously underweight. No wonder we're so confused and conflicted about our food. Men, on the other hand, tend more toward action and even anger and violence when upset.

My husband and I have our moments, there's no doubt about it...his cholesterol was high at his last checkup and of course his doctor buys into the conventional wisdom and told him low fat, lots of grains. So he essentially lives on carbohydrates. It makes me kind of crazy...sometimes I make a lot of good food, good protein - and he waves it off for blueberries and oatmeal. I know it doesn't taste as good, but it doesn't seem to keep him going, and he keeps gaining weight though he doesn't know why. :( I do. All I can do is bide my time though and try to provide as many healthy alternatives as I can.

This is a good place to talk about all these things - I think the emotional and the personal are as vital to the Whole30 as the food...

Instead of taking a full week off Cross-Fit, can you go less often every other week? I think it is hard to take a full week off and keep the routine. Maybe 2 times one week and 4 times the next for a bit? How often do you go? I went 6 days a week for almost a year and burned myself out. I did much better going MWF(Saturday, too) one week and T-TR the next for a bit of time. It was tough to scale back, but my body and my family appreciated it. I honestly did not notice a change in my physique, either. I did find that I ate much, much less food the weeks I went just twice. I had myself in a vicious cycle of exercising a ton which jacked my appetite up in what I think was disproportionate amounts. Then I felt the need to exercise more, etc.

Pam - just wanted to add that I'm planning to take your advice - I'm going to go five times when we're here and four times when we go up north to be with my stepson. There's a place I can go to up there but with a different coach you lose the "big picture" of the workout scheme - i.e., Kenny (my regular coach) could be taking us through heavy lifting while Melissa is focusing on cardio. Plus I like being with my honey on Saturday mornings when I'm up there <g>.

If things start to get dicey with my joints again, I'll go back to four times per week all the time, though I don't know when I'll not go!! LOL...

So, this was my breakfast! 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil/ghee with onion, broccolini and asparagus. It only held me for about 2.5 hours, so I think I need to add another egg or more fat. Maybe avocado?

post-24563-0-23198300-1369683708_thumb.j

Yum. Figured out the photo attachment issue; so thanks for the instruction!

Oh, yeah, eggs on their own don't hold me for very long! I gotta have some real protein...and even if I have three eggs, I have to have a little bacon to go with it, or sausage or something...

Glad the photo help worked out!

Oh, yeah, eggs on their own don't hold me for very long! I gotta have some real protein...and even if I have three eggs, I have to have a little bacon to go with it, or sausage or something...

Glad the photo help worked out!

You may have created a monster. Now I'm excited to post the 12 ounce boneless rib eye I am grilling for dinner. I am not going to share. Off to the gym to do a bit of cardio first. :D

Day 3 is done, hooray! We had our first meal on the grill...veggie variety and the US Wellness ribeye. I forgot how delicious and satisfying a good steak is. It was positively ambrosial! I am determined to have good steak at least once every two weeks for this point forward, even if we can't get it from US Wellness.

Here's dinner:

post-1961-0-20336600-1369700532_thumb.jp

Followed by:

post-1961-0-36122000-1369700579_thumb.jp

Strawberries and coconut cream...

Back to work tomorrow, so I won't be on here as much as I have been the last couple of days. LOL!

Hope to hear from everyone soon...my sugar-resisting sisters...

Archived