Day 1 - So excited! Calling other Sugarholics

LindaLee

Day 3 is done, hooray! We had our first meal on the grill...veggie variety and the US Wellness ribeye. I forgot how delicious and satisfying a good steak is. It was positively ambrosial! I am determined to have good steak at least once every two weeks for this point forward, even if we can't get it from US Wellness.

Here's dinner:

post-1961-0-20336600-1369700532_thumb.jp

Followed by:

post-1961-0-36122000-1369700579_thumb.jp

Strawberries and coconut cream...

Back to work tomorrow, so I won't be on here as much as I have been the last couple of days. LOL!

Hope to hear from everyone soon...my sugar-resisting sisters...

I ate mine so fast I forgot to take a picture! I was all excited to eat the whole steak, but could only finish half. I think my satiety ability is coming back or I am just more aware these days.

For breakfast I have some spicy Korean chicken soup and kimchi. Supposed to add rice but I won't. I am hosting 2 Korean doctoral students for the week and I wanted to have some native foods for them at breakfast. Turns out they traditionally eat dinner food at breakfast, too. Not too un-Whole30 or Paleo aside from the grains. I don't think they will be eating here at all (communal meals before and after lecture) but I'll keep cooking Korean all week!

I'm considering adding oats and some dairy back to my diet. I started the Whole30 29 days ago, but have not stayed 100% as you all well know. Between using too many raisins/nuts the first two weeks to eating a some barley on Day 14 to a full out sugar binge 3 days ago... that last one is the only big disappointment, really. I miss my oats and have no intention of getting rid of them forever. I'm also not intending to fully erase dairy from my life but instead limit it to cooking most likely. My hope is to keep processed (white/brown) sugar free for many, many more moons! I think I need that gone for 60 days. I'm honestly not sure how that is going to work. In an ideal world, I could have sugary treats on rare occasion and be OK with it. We'll see!

Overall, I am quite proud of myself. I have learned a lot and motivation continues to stay high.

Yay

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go, Pam...27 days without any sugar is quite an accomplishment...I've never made it that far. Stick around here?? I'm hoping to go 60 days too, and to hit a 21 day sugar detox (no fruit other than green apples and green bananas, though that makes it hard to get enough carbs in).

PamH, I think that's part of what Whole30 is all about...changing how we think about food and learning to live in the world--sometimes partake in certain foods but also know when to say no. We all need that balance to find what works for each one of us individually.

I'm planning on continuing my Whole30 past the 30 days, as I'm already halfway through and feel like I will need more time to figure out my stomach issues...and to get over the sugar cravings. I had dreams about the honey bunches of oats in our cupboard the other night. hahaha cereal makes me so sick though, I'm not giving in to that demon.

Hope everyone has a lovely beginning to this short workweek :)

Day 4 and so far, so good.

Breakfast - sweet potato fritters, turkey apple hash, and olives

No snack

Lunch - zucchini "lasagna," salad, orange

Have a beef stick if I get hungry

Dinner - I am thinking about some leftover meat loaf, broccoli fritters, and strawberries

Sugar detox must be starting in earnest - I have quite a headache!

Monster cravings! Trying to stave them off without eating anything. I think what I really want is a NAP!

My huge binge non-compliant day was a day I was super, super tired. It is a huge trigger for me.

Me too, Pam...and I didn't sleep very well last night. One thing that happens whenever I start a Whole30 is that I pee. A lot. For the first week or so, it's a lot of peeing, LOL. And so I end up getting up every hour, it seems like, when I'm sleeping, to pee.

Good day today...made it through the monster craving, didn't eat anything.

Dinner tonight was yummy <g>. Sweet potato fritters (trying to use my sweet potatoes before they go bad), bacon, eggs and strawberries with coconut cream. I love having breakfast for dinner. LOL.

Deadliest Catch tonight and then early to bed...hope everyone else is doing okay. Christi? Please say you're still with us...no matter what's going on.

Well, I made it through Day 5, and I have a new mantra: this is not a Whole30 for me, it is a WholeLifestyle. I know Melissa and Dallas say you don't have to eat Whole365, but I think I will do better if I don't see this as something just for 30 days. I want to get through 60 days of sugar detox and see where I am, but I truly want to adopt this as a lifestyle with occasional holidays, and I'm hopeful and reasonably confident that I can do that.

Breakfast was my usual turkey apple hash (Success Guide), sweet potato fritters (these are made of sweet potatoes, coconut flour - only two teaspoons - eggs, ginger and cinnamon - from Practical Paleo), and olives. Plus my tea.

For lunch...last night I decided to change up my usual fruit-at-the-end-of-lunch habit, to see if that helped alleviate my 2:00-3:00 slump. So instead I had a serving of my avocado/cocoa/banana pudding, after my beef and veggies and salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery and Paleo mayo). I did not have my slump - however, I also did not eat until 2:00, so that might have explained it. :wacko:

Part of the reason why I ate my lunch late is because I ran some errands at lunch, trying to find some alternative medicines for my inflammation and low back pain. I go to a chiropractor - which has been truly miraculous for me - but I still have issues after I run long distances (meaning 5 miles for me) or lift heavy. Ibuprofen works but I don't want to take it unless I'm just desperate for relief. I'd tried some curcumin but haven't been entirely satisfied with the results, so I went to the health food store to see if there was something different I could try. They recommended Devil's Claw, so I'm giving that a try - so far it's given me some kind of gnarly stomach cramps, so I might have to try a lower dose first.

For dinner I made mustard glazed chicken (so easy - chicken breast cooked with coconut oil, mustard, sage and salt) and that with broccoli fritters (broccoli, eggs, almond flour), tomatoes, and baby carrots, followed by a Granny Smith apple.

So...so far feeling pretty good. This forum has been tremendously helpful - thank you especially, Pam, Saralee and Christi! - and I think it will help that my husband is here for a rare twelve days straight!!! Great timing.

I even made it through this Kill All Things day without committing mayhem on my co-worker. Thank you, Jesus. <g>

LindaLee, I feel the same way about adopting this as an entire lifestyle...I know for certain that the changes I am hoping for (both mental and physical) will take longer than 30 days to happen. Perhaps just having the occasional dinner out without worrying about compliant ingredients or a small treat, but overall, sticking to whole foods and the meal template...

We've got this! :)

Overall, I am quite proud of myself. I have learned a lot and motivation continues to stay high.

Yay

Congrats PamH! I would have to start over if I made those mistakes, because of the healing needed - it takes 30 days to heal from dairy and grains, at least - a straight 30 days. But, we each have our own walk to walk! And, doing this for 30 days, no matter what is worth celebrating! Congratulations!

Hi sisters! LindaLee, SaraLee, and PamH -

I have been reading along on my phone, but I can't comment from my phone. You have helped me, just by reading!

Here's what I put on my log today:

Day 16 - 5/30/2013

I have not posted/logged for a while...since Memorial Day weekend.

This weekend was wonderful and rough...but I succeeded,

with a cookout that WE provided for at another person's house, SUCCESS!

a trip to a garden and eating in the cafe' as well as meeting for breakfast beforehand. SUCCESS!

Then Tuesday happened...and I was SOOOOO tired.I ate three meals, very small, very go-to meals.

Then Wednesday happened...and I was STILL tired. I ate three meals. two go-to and one great one made by my husband.

Having food available really made the difference.

Last night, I had a CPAP study done, because my CPAP masks have been causing problems.

WE FOUND A MASK THAT WORKS FOR ME! SUCCESS!

And I got some REAL sleep - even though it was only 5 hours. I came home and got another 2 hours of REAL sleep - and I am feeling GREAT!.

I am behind on my whole30daily emails, but I am on track with my whole30!

Today, I am doing a version of Melissa's cook up from well fed!

Oh - Kombucha, YUM! I'm not sure I'll get into making it just yet, but it's worth a trip to Whole Foods (1 hour away) once a paycheck just to buy some!

Today, I feel like a new woman!

And, I do! And, I have got to figure out those fritter recipes!

And, I can't do bananas - they are candy to me, but mixed berries with coconut milk? YUM! i just make sure I eat that with a meal!

you girls are amazing!

:wub:

I have not fared so well. I, for some reason, made an executive decision to try to add some sweeteners (honey) back into my diet even though I have not had 30 consecutive days of compliance. I got greedy.

I binged. Sugar binge. I clearly was not ready for honey.

What a reaction my body and brain had! Within 30 minutes, I was literally depressed and exhausted. I started having continuous hot flashes, which continued all through the night and are still going on with some reduction. I felt like I was going to throw up about 5 hours after I took my last bite of cookie dough (augh. Yes. Cookie dough); it was bizarre! I was tearful and clearly ill.

As far as quantity goes, I did not eat THAT much food. I did eat a ton of sugar in many forms, though.

Today I am hung over. If anything, I have greater resolve to stay sugar free. It slams home how good I was feeling the moment before I put that first bite of sugar into my mouth. My mood was clear and positive, my perimenopausal hot flashes were down to a few a day (not a few an hour!) and my energy level was normal. Today I am the opposite, although the tearful feelings have subsided.

Geez. I am back to Day One. This time, however, it is OK.

Christi, we are glad to have you back and to see that you've been well! :)

Pam, I'm sorry you've been struggling. We are here for you! Sugar definitely has that same effect on me--hangover, moody, trouble sleeping. Ugh, it's just not worth it. Looking forward to the day the cravings are fully gone. We've just got to treat sugar like any other drug (because it truly is a drug). An alcoholic wouldn't be able to have a glass of wine a few weeks into sobriety, so why would we be able to handle sugar in the same amount of time? Even fruit sets up those intense cravings for me.

Hopefully we'll get stronger each and every day! Sending positive thoughts to each one of you!! :)

Yay, Christi, so glad you're back! Congrats on all your accomplishments.

Pam - I'm sorry you had a bump...but what a lesson you learned! I remember getting horribly ill once after eating ice cream and thanking God for it. Unfortunately, it didn't work in the long run, sigh. It's amazing that we can forget the negative effects of these things, isn't it? In some ways it's Day One for you, and in wisdom, it is not. <hugs>

The Devil's Claw last night really, really made me sick last night. I finally crawled into bed and spent about 45 minutes in pretty bad pain before I finally got some relief. When I got up this morning, I felt utterly wrung out and exhausted. I was a little depressed about that, because I planned to go back to Crossfit tonight. I was tempted to take one more day off, but I really didn't want to do that.

So I got through my day well enough. That sense of this as a WholeLifestyle, instead of a Whole30, has - for today - given me a sense of peace and serenity about the whole thing. I copied the timeline and a few other things and stuck them on my bulletin board at work.

Breakfast was my usual - sweet potato fritters, turkey apple hash, olives.

Lunch - beef and veggies, salad, and avocado/cocoa/banana pudding. I do think this is a *much* better choice then having an orange - no intense cravings for more sweets afterward, and I remained full.

I had a hardboiled egg before my workout.

Crossfit was tough tonight, I confess! I still felt puny after being so sick last night. Our workout tonight was:

Warmup: Run 800 meters

Stations: 1 1/2 minutes each of pushups, lunges, burpees, press (45 pounds), forward rolls, and lunges

WOD: 21-15-9 front rack lunges and power cleans. I started out with 35 pounds for both but was really struggling on the lunges. I made it through the first 21 (each leg - 42 total - HARD) with the 35 pounds, then the power cleans were super easy. I got through about half the 15 lunges, then my coach took pity on me and helped me drop to 25 pounds for the rest of the lunges...but told me to go to 45 on the power cleans. So I did the last round and a half of lunges with a lower weight, and the last two rounds of power cleans with a higher weight. I am BEAT!

Post-workout I had about 3 ounces of the salmon from US Wellness and jicama. I think I've found the perfect post-workout starchy carb. :)

Dinner was two salmon cakes with Paleo mayo, tomatoes and carrots and an orange and mandarin.

I'm exhausted. Last night really wiped me out, and the workout was tough and it was humid today! I'm planning to go to bed early and look forward to tomorrow's WOD and a five-mile run on Saturday.

Appropriate for Day 6 - "I just want a nap!" Too bad I work for a state agency and we get fired if anyone catches us sleeping onsite, even during our lunch hour. :) :)

So grateful!

Behaviorally, I am doing great today. Emotionally...not so much.

I did not sleep well last night, despite being so incredibly tired. I couldn't get to sleep and then I kept waking up. I finally went to the kitchen about 11:30 and took another teaspoon of magnesium. I hate doing that because of the laxative effect, but I needed to sleep!

I woke up and actually felt pretty good body-wise, given how rough the WOD was last night. I did back exercises and took a hot bath and iced, and I'm hoping that staved off any major inflammation. That and my ongoing fish oil/red deer antler/curcumin regimen, LOL. I was a little annoyed that my quads were sore instead of my hams and glutes, which means my form was off on my lunges and power cleans, but that happens when I get tired.

I was kinda crabby on my drive to work (why do people drive 50 in a 55?), but the morning was okay. I got through my day with my standard breakfast and lunch - no snack. I did decide to forego my pre-workout meal, because the WOD was for wallballs and those always make me nauseous. Still, so tired...

Today's workout was:

400 meter run - dang, my glutes hurt

Everett (hard to describe - various exercises to improve flexibility, especially in the hams and hip flexors for squats)

WOD:

800 meter run

100 doubleunders (300 singles for me - I have doubleunders but not enough to do 100 in a WOD)

100 wallballs - ARGHHHH. I knew these would be the hardest part for me, and they so were. I was done with the run and my singles in nice form, but these took me FOREVER. I started with 12 pounds, and really wanted to do at least the first 50 with that weight, but after 20 I gave up and dropped to 10 pounds.

100 doubleunders (300 singles - my legs were dying at this point!)

800 meter run

It was not that hot today, but incredibly humid. By the time I got done, I was completely drenched and again, totally beat. I stretched and stretched, but waited to go home so I wouldn't sweat all over my car seat! I did have my post-workout meal of 3 oz. salmon and jicama.

Fortunately, my sweetie already had the grill going and fired us up some steak and a grilled pepper with some mushrooms. I added some sweet potato fritters and a green apple - that is a great way to get something sweet that doesn't spike my sugar cravings:

Today is the first day that I really was fighting cravings. I think because I'm feeling very, very discouraged. I'm still kind of bloaty and my energy is in the pit right now - I'm not sure whether that's day 7 or being so sick Wednesday night or what, but my time was dreadful and I hate going down in weight in the middle of a WOD. Grrr, wahhh.

Kind of worried, too - tomorrow I am scheduled for a five mile run, which is a big distance for me. When I do something like that, I tend to want to celebrate with food. Could use some "rah rah sis boom bah" so I make it through!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Rah rah, sis, boom bah!

Day 7 sucked for me, no matter what the map says.

I am planning a whole 90, done in thirds! I will need a short break, but not a crash and burn!

I hope to not crave sugars, But, even sweet potatoes are tasting mighty sweet lately.

Was a bit of a downer for me. I have food staring at me in the frige, and I can't remember why I bought it! But I haven't eaten out except one this week. I put on a bra that has been too small since I bought it years ago, and it's a bit big! My snug workout capris are Baggy. Things are changing.

So, girls, let's love ourselves this weekend. We are not in this to win a race, we are practicing for life! If we fall, let's fall forward, though not into cookie dough or while doing a 5 mile race, which would, in fact, be a race! ;-)

Good luck in your race, LindaLee!

Christi, I've been feeling that same temptation of food STARING at me lately. I have given in to fruit and tahini this past week (major trigger foods), but kept it at that, no non-compliant foods at least. My eating was definitely overboard and emotion-based. It's rough when my parents keep the house packed with unhealthy snacks. *sigh*

This is just a journey though...trying to learn and improve every day!

Today's workout was:

400 meter run - dang, my glutes hurt

Everett (hard to describe - various exercises to improve flexibility, especially in the hams and hip flexors for squats)

WOD:

800 meter run

100 doubleunders (300 singles for me - I have doubleunders but not enough to do 100 in a WOD)

100 wallballs - ARGHHHH. I knew these would be the hardest part for me, and they so were. I was done with the run and my singles in nice form, but these took me FOREVER. I started with 12 pounds, and really wanted to do at least the first 50 with that weight, but after 20 I gave up and dropped to 10 pounds.

100 doubleunders (300 singles - my legs were dying at this point!)

800 meter run

Kind of worried, too - tomorrow I am scheduled for a five mile run, which is a big distance for me. When I do something like that, I tend to want to celebrate with food. Could use some "rah rah sis boom bah" so I make it through!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

DOUBLEUNDERS! I do not miss those.

Rah rah sis boom bah, Miss Crabby Pants. ;) I hope the run goes very well. Celebrate the accomplishment with pride, not food!

Dealing with fatigue and changing moods is so tough! I hope men have this problem, too.

Rah rah, sis, boom bah!

Day 7 sucked for me, no matter what the map says.

I am planning a whole 90, done in thirds! I will need a short break, but not a crash and burn!

I hope to not crave sugars, But, even sweet potatoes are tasting mighty sweet lately.

I ate the SWEETEST sweet potato last week. I thought the same thing. I'm wondering if the taste buds are truly rebooting to taste food as it should be tasted, or if it was a freakish GMO potato. :)

I ended up not running...we had big storms here in the middle of the night and our dog, oddly, was very whimpery during them. My husband ended up sleeping in our living room so he would be quiet. So I got very little sleep. :( Plus it was pouring down rain and storming here when my alarm first went off, and finally, my quads are truly stiff and sore from all the wall balls yesterday. So I decided not to go, which kind of bums me out, but I really don't like running in e pouring rain. Sprinkles are okay, but pouring rain actually can be kind of dangerous for knees and ankles.

So I just got to get up and relax a bit...had a nice breakfast of sweet potato fritters, a couple of pieces of US Wellness bacon (I LOVE that stuff), three eggs, carrots, and an orange. Delicious.

Not sure what we're doing today, but we have to keep an eye on the time, because I sing at church tonight.

Hope everyone has a great day! I wouldn't call this boundless energy, but I'm feeling somewhat less crabby then yesterday ;) Love weekends...

Day 18 is now day 0

I just realized that my calms has Stevia in it, so on day 18, I am starting over.

I Don't feel that it was my choice, just my ignorance.

It's my fault I didn't read labels.

What I am not doing is bingeing because of a mistake. I thought I would do 45 days anyway, so I am continuing this journey with this bump. I just realized that my calms has Stevia in it, so on day 18, I am starting over.

Don't feel that it was my choice, just my ignorance.

It's my fault I didn't read labels.

What I am not doing is bingeing because of a mistake. I thought I would do 45 days anyway, so I am continuing this journey with this bump.

Lindalee, Sorry about your run! You have to take care of you!

Sara lee, I meant all the Paleo food staring at me, saying "whatcha gonna do with me, huh?"

Pam, sweet potatoes seem to get sweeter each day, even organic ones!

Good evening, everyone...

Well, it's been a stress-laxing day, lol. After our leisurely breakfast, my husband and I decided to go to a local car dealership and ask about the truck he's been trying to find. We need to get a new one so he can give me my Tacoma back (long story - he gave his F150 to his son, I gave my Tacoma to him, and we bought a little Mazda CX5 for me - which I loved in the spring and summer and hated this winter, so I want my truck back!

But that's not what I invited you here today to talk about. We are here to talk about Day 8. In which I came very, very close to jumping off this Whole30 truck. Because the car dealership was a disappointing experience, and lasted through lunch, and while my husband can stop and get a McChicken, I will not. And I forgot to take a "snack pack" with us. Around 2:00, I really wanted ice cream. I contemplated buying some. I gave myself the old "I'll have this and then I'll start again."

But I didn't. Because I didn't want to come on here and say, yet again, that I had to start over. I really, really want to make it through my 30 days.

I'm not feeling great again today...my quads are absolutely killing me. It has been all I could do all day to just WALK. Stairs have been torture. And worse, I'm..."swollen" is the only word I can use to describe it. I think my muscles are just so full of whatever it is that muscles get full of, that my pants are tight, despite the fact that I've been Whole30 faithful! I've encountered this before but it's not pleasant.

However, despite all of this, I managed to soldier through - church is always a big help, and by the time we got out of Mass I was feeling pretty great. I ended up not having to sing tonight (misunderstanding) so I got to just worship, and our church was full since we had both Boy Scouts and guests and party from a wedding reception. I love seeing St. Michael's full!

So I just did my usual shopping, and when we got home I had some olives, a US Wellness snack stick, and a banana. That helped carry me through doing dishes and preparing dinner, which was:

post-1961-0-80084600-1370142049_thumb.jp

I love this mustard glazed chicken from Practical Paleo. It's ridiculously easy to make - 1/4 cup coconut oil, 2 tablespoons gluten-free mustard (which most are), 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon sage. Put the chicken - the recipe calls for chicken thighs but I always use chicken breasts and they come out nice and moist - in a foil-lined baking pan, and pop it in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until your meat thermometer says 170. I had that with some broccoli fritters and an orange and now I'm drinking some tea with valerian so I can actually sleep tonight.

So...other than being ridiculously sore - I mean, I have never been this sore, but then again, I don't think I've ever done 100 wallballs consecutively, by myself. We had a team WOD one time that was an AMRAP, 150 wallballs, 150 doubleunders, and I think 35 pullups, but we split that between three of us. I hate wallballs. I'm terrible at them, which is probably why I hate them, and I was already sore from the lunges the night before.

<yanking self back on track>

So...other than being ridiculously sore and puffy, I had a great Day 8, and by the grace of God sent the sugar demon packing for today.

:)

Archived